PDA

View Full Version : Newsfeed: Sign Up For The Old Republic Beta

News
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Today LucasArts and BioWare have announced that users can volunteer for the closed beta of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Everyone that signs up will not be admitted, so if you are interested, it’s probably best to sign up soon. So far it seems limited to members at the official site. Currently, [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/sign-up-for-the-old-republic-beta/)

Web Rider
09-29-2009, 02:19 PM
And the overwhelming response has crashed the website.

RogueJedi86
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Did anyone notice that the site doesn't say anything about Beta at all? They're specifically referring to it as "Game Testing", so this may not be a Beta. Or maybe it's just a Beta with a different name. I wonder what the significance is.

gstommylee
09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Did anyone notice that the site doesn't say anything about Beta at all? They're specifically referring to it as "Game Testing", so this may not be a Beta. Or maybe it's just a Beta with a different name. I wonder what the significance is.

No matter what they call it its still considered the same thing imo.

Hallucination
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Unless they revolutionised the concept of a product development cycle from the ground up it's just a beta. ;)

RogueJedi86
09-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Maybe this is just a more open Alpha?

Rathoris
09-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Whatever it is it probably means release is within 1 year from now. Hurray! Anybody here actually going to sign up for it? I don't want a single piece of content ruined before release so ill pass.

Alkonium
09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Anyone else finding that the application seems to be looping between terms and personal information?

Miltiades
09-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Anyone else finding that the application seems to be looping between terms and personal information? Yep. Same here.

adamqd
09-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Just re-do it a few times, and eventually you'll get a pop up asking to access your PC to test the spec, then you'll click continue, which will take you back to "Your Account"... There you'll see a box at the bottom saying you have signed up for tester and your Specs have been added to their database.

Spadille
09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Hmm... When I've signed up I get this error message

* warning: array_shift() [function.array-shift]: The argument should be an array in /opt/vhost/swtor.com/sites/all/modules/custom/cohort/cohort.signup.inc on line 490.
* warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, '' was given in /opt/vhost/swtor.com/includes/form.inc on line 366.

Any help?

Hallucination
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
That's a problem on Bioware's side, the only things you can do are tell them and try again.

Maybe this is just a more open Alpha?
There is no such thing as an open alpha, an alpha test is internal (but sometimes extended to friends and family) and the beta is external. Unless Bioware staff plan to start marrying a lot of people it's a beta. ;)

swphreak
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, I'm still skeptical, but I'll give it a shot. I managed to register and sign up, but not been able to do anything else. They're still getting hammered. You'd think they'd drop the flashy stuff for a few days so people could use their site.

RogueJedi86
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
There is no such thing as an open alpha, an alpha test is internal (but sometimes extended to friends and family) and the beta is external. Unless Bioware staff plan to start marrying a lot of people it's a beta. ;)

Maybe BioWare is seeking to redefine MMOs from the very beginning, starting with the definition of Alpha. :) Like I said, they still haven't said the B-word, and surely there's a reason for it. Or maybe it's like how Google keeps all their products perpetually in beta, just to make sure people know it's constantly in change. Or maybe this testing is pre-beta, but post-alpha. Beta seems to imply the game is mostly finished, with only user testing left to work out the kinks. Surely TOR isn't that far along?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just musing on why BioWare isn't calling it a Beta. Either way, I'm excited for the testing.

Nedak
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Who would have thought that sign-ups for beta would be the day after I posted the rumor.

Anywho, I signed up.

Hallucination
09-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Or maybe this testing is pre-beta, but post-alpha. Beta seems to imply the game is mostly finished, with only user testing left to work out the kinks. Surely TOR isn't that far along?
The testing is either all internal or it isn't, there's no in between. Also, it's been known that Bioware has been working on an MMO for over 2 and a half years now. ;)

RogueJedi86
09-30-2009, 11:41 PM
A lot of those 2 1/2 years may've been just to set down the ground structure and coding for the rest of the game. We've only heard of 5 planets, with no idea of how many total we'll have, so many things like that are definitely still far from finished. We've also only seen the first ten levels in varying bits. We know some stuff, but there's still a lot we don't.

Miltiades
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Now it works. Just need to send in my sysem specifications. Will it matter if I send in the specs of my laptop as opposed to my desktop PC?

Jae Onasi
10-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Anyone else finding that the application seems to be looping between terms and personal information?

I had the same problem last night. I had to re-submit info several times, including the scan, but it finally completed the process. Make sure you have Java enabled, and turn off any ActiveX or script blockers.

@Miltiades--I don't know if it will matter if you're submitting from a PC or laptop. Bioware tests the computer that you happen to be applying on at that time. For testing purposes, PCs are more stable, but I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not. So many people have gaming PCs now that they may want to test on laptops as well. It's impossible to predict since Bioware is holding their cards close to their vests on this.

adamqd
10-01-2009, 08:33 AM
To be honest, low specs, Laptops and obscure locations will get a better look in on Testing... As they are using this to determine playability over the diverse range of said variables.

If you live 3 doors away from the Server and have a $3000 PC your not gonna have much trouble playing the game are you hehe.

leXX
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Took me ages too, but it finally went through. Fingers crossed.

Astor
10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I can't sign up until this time next week at least, due to not having a proper computer (I'm currently using an aging laptop to write this). So I hope that the sign-up will be available for at least that long.

RogueJedi86
10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I say scan the computer you'll be using, since it'll be more likely the one that will be playing TOR. They need to test for the actual machines that will be running the game. If you want to try though, go install XP on a computer from 10 years ago, see if it'll get into the Beta. :P

I bet they'll keep the Beta Signups open a while, since we don't have a solid date on when they'll do the Beta testing. They wouldn't be vague about the testing starting dates if it was next week, right?

Hallucination
10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I can't sign up. =/

NERD RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEEEE.

RogueJedi86
10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
They not supporting......*reads Location*.......Tarsonis? :P

Hallucination
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
From what I've heard they're planning to put us in the Oceanic server group when we would get much better latency in the Chau Sara one. =/

RogueJedi86
10-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Well all rumors seem to suggest that Dantooine is supported. It seems that they're on Dantooine.

adamqd
10-02-2009, 08:13 AM
For the record this should be at the bottom of your "Basic Info" Page on your swtor account...
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/tayloryea/Untitled-1-11.jpg

The Reason I'm showing it is because the first time I scanned, it didn't update to 'complete', so do it twice to make sure.

Spadille
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I've tried to sign up for the test for 3 days now, and I still get the weird message or I get stuck on the info page! Why does this always happen to me?

Ztalker
10-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm in.

I beta tested WoW and Champions Online as well...but never pulled through afterwards. I'm playing WoW at the moment though. Totally loving it in a casual way.
But I'd like to play this from the start, just too be the first to do stuff and find all out on my own.

My dream of a LS Sith is still alive...

knight 12167
10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I not even bothering...

DAWUSS
10-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I doubt I would make the cut...

TheRogueForums
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, there will be several rounds of testing. Some groups will test out certain functions and areas of the game, while others will test different aspects. If you do not make the first cut, do not get discouraged- there will be others ;)

Rinku
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I can't get in...It is only for PC so I can't play (I'm on a Mac).

RogueJedi86
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I can't get in...It is only for PC so I can't play (I'm on a Mac).

2 words: Boot Camp. Just dual boot into Windows and play it. :)

Rinku
10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
2 words: Boot Camp. Just dual boot into Windows and play it. :)
I need don't have a Windows OS to install on my imac & the computer I would be playing this on is a G5 :( so no-can-do.

RogueJedi86
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I need don't have a Windows OS to install on my imac & the computer I would be playing this on is a G5 :( so no-can-do.

Worth a shot. I apologize. In my ignorance, I thought Boot Camp might come with a way to install XP or something.

If you can afford an expensive Mac G5, maybe you can buy a relatively cheap Desktop with Windows for PC gaming on the rare occasion that you need to do it. Maybe when Windows 7 comes out. I'm a PC gamer, we get some cool games sometimes. You can still claim you're a Mac user, I won't tell anyone. :P

dswtor
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
still waiting on that beta invite :(

RogueJedi86
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Holy 11 month necro Batman!

Ztalker
09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
still waiting on that beta invite :(

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1480/674171-vader_fail_super.jpg