PDA

View Full Version : Your First Gaming System and Your Favorite Game You Played On It

Havoc Stryphe
10-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Alright here it is, my first thread since unretiring:

Since we have wide range of ages represented on this forum, this should be interesting. What was the first Gaming System you played on, and what was your favorite game from that system?

Of course having said your initial answer, don't be afraid to discuss all an any classic gaming rigs and the classic games you grew up on. Gaming is big aspect of what makes this forum, and surely we all have fond memories of some of the games and consoles of old. I'm sure you, like me, were influenced by those games and they help mold you into the gamer you are today. So, let's share those gaming memories...

Lynk Former
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
The first gaming system I played was the Nintendo Entertainment System... first game I played ever was Super Mario Bros.

The first gaming system I owned was a Super Nintendo Entertainment System and my favourite game on the system is hands down, Super Metroid.

DarthDie
10-02-2009, 09:17 AM
First gaming system would be the Sega Genesis, and favorite game would be Sonic the Hedgehog.

Which I might add I actually finally beat it 6+ months ago...

The game I remember most though would be Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2 on the PS1, which I like to re-beat every couple months.

Havoc Stryphe
10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
My first system I played regularly was the Nintendo Entertainment System, and my favorite game was Bionic Commando. I played that game for hours and hours. Eventually I would get good enough to beat the game without ever dying. That was fun!

Shout out to these other great NES games:

Zelda
Castlevania
Lifeforce
Contra
Ikari Warriors
Punch Out
Kung-Fu
Double Dragon
Final Fantasy

Shoot, list list could go on forever! :eek:

leXX
10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
My first gaming system was the Atari, and the first game I played on it was Pong. Yes, I'm that old. :/

jrrtoken
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
DOS, bitches. :kamina:

Astor
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM
My first gaming system was a Commodore 64, and Robocop was the first video game I played.

Q
10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Atari 2600. My favorite game was Pitfall, followed by Pitfall 2.

Consoles didn't get really intersting until the NES came along several years later, though. There were some really good games for it.

Havoc Stryphe
10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
My first gaming system was the Atari, and the first game I played on it was Pong. Yes, I'm that old. :/

If its any consolation, LeXX, I'm old enough to have had an Atari, and I played my friends', but the first Console I actually owned was an NES. So, don't feel too bad. If my parents weren't so stingy at the time, I would have answered with Atari too! ;)

acdcfanbill
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I did play and like mario and zelda on the NES but the first game I really flipped over was Battlehawks and Their Finest Hour from LEC on the PC. :)

BongoBob
10-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Hmmmm, the first system my family owned was an NES, and the first game I played was Super Mario Bros, but the first I truly remember owning was a SNES, and the game I played most on it was of course Super Mario World.

Pho3nix
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Honestly, I don't remember :p Might have been Dune II for PC.

DOS, bitches. :kamina:
**** yeah.

Havoc Stryphe
10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I don't remember :p Might have been Dune II for PC.

**** yeah.

Great game, and the progenator of the C&C series!

PC gaming was my second love back then and now is my favorite gaming rig.

Lynk Former
10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Spice_Must_Flow.jpg

IG-64
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm gonna say it was probably something on PC, because there were lots of little games we used to play on DOS and Windows 3.1, but the first game I really remember playing was Super Mario World on SNES, so I'm gonna go with that. I remember being amazed that you could control something on a TV. Favorite game I played on it was probably Donkey Kong Country, followed closely by Mario RPG or SMW2:Yoshi's Island.

Samuel Dravis
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmm. The oldest computer I remember using was a Pentium 166. The original games I played on it were Solitaire, Amazon Trail, Oregon Trail and O'dell Down Under (though to be fair this last one was pretty fun). >_>

The first games I remember getting and really loving were demos of Descent II and Destruction Derby which were included on the driver CD of a Diamond Stealth 3D graphics card. So now you know why I <3 Descent. :p

Edit: I completely forgot about the Original Gameboy. My sister had gotten one as a present from our grandpa and we played a lot of Final Fantasy Adventure, LoZ: Link's Awakening, some sort of Mario puzzle game, Qix and some others I can't remember. That was probably my first system.

Kjølen
10-02-2009, 01:10 PM
NES and Super Mario Brothers.
Maybe Mac SE and Airborne.

MrWally
10-02-2009, 01:29 PM
We didn't have much video games in the Philippines, so I didn't really get into them until moving to the States.

I voted PC because it was the first platform we owned that I really got into gaming on.

The first system I really remember playing was Sega Genesis, and my favorite game was definitely Sonic the Hedgehog.

On PC my first games were Oregon Trail and I remember this old game called Magic Carpet we had to play through DOS. That game was the ****. Then when the original Warcraft came out that series completely enveloped my life.

Then the first (and only) console I ever owned was a PS1, bought at a yard sale. My favorite game for that was undoubtedly Final Fantasy 8, along with the other FFs from that generation, but I also remember really enjoying the Twisted Metal series.

Oh, and Digimon World 2. Don't ever knock the awesomeness that is Digimon around me.

swphreak
10-02-2009, 02:24 PM
NES here. Played it like no tomorrow. We had the 3 in 1 Mario, Duck Hunt, and some Track & Field game w/ mat. I think in the end, I had about 20 NES carts before moving on to the Sega Genesis.

Does anyone else remember when Blockbuster used to rent out NES games? Wow, have times changed.

jon_hill987
10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Not much love for the Master System? My Favourite game was Sonic the Hedgehog. It was a port of the version from the more powerful Mega Drive but the attention to detail they put into the graphics and level design more than made up for the limited power and in my opinion made it the best Sonic game to this day, it is a pity that the Master System version of Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos were not as well done.

Sabretooth
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I had a Famiclone for my first console. It's so rare, I can't even find it on Google. Third World FTW! :D

My favourite game, I can't say, I just played a little of everything. I loved Islander, though.

RoxStar
10-02-2009, 04:33 PM
NES. First game was the Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt combo

txa1265
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Pong in the mid-70's.

After that, my next addiction was Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple ][+ in ~81.

Jeff
10-02-2009, 06:58 PM
My first console was the Sega Genesis and it came with Sonic 2 which was the first game I can remember playing.

Darth Avlectus
10-03-2009, 02:25 AM
First: NES, metal gear.

The list is too extensive, though somewhere in the stagnant classic gaming forum I made a huge list what I owned which I'm sure still missed some.

My fondest memories:
Atari: Combat, space invaders, missile command
NES: SMB1&3, megaman 1-3, metal gear 1&2, Castlevania 1-3, mike tyson's punch out

I remember buying my SNES from costco and carrying it home.
Super Mario World, Super Scope 6, Super Metroid, Street Fighter 2 (original), super game boy, Zelda 3, Megaman X 1-3, Star Fox, Zombies Ate My Neighbors

GB: Super Mario land 2: 6 golden coins, Donkey Kong '94, DK land, Joe & Mac

Mac: Descent, SW dark forces, mac arcade pack 2, Odyssey:Legend of Nemesis

N64: mario64, perfect dark, wcw nwo revenge, bomberman64

PS1: Twisted metal 1-4, megaman X4, SW Phantom Menace

Have other favorites, but these I can truly call nostalgia.

TiE23
10-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Windows 3.1. The first family computer... Other than some random kid's games and other education things, my first real game was Dark Forces, baby. I mean, first real game being an FPS? Pretty hard core, huh? My favorite level was Super Star Destroyer level, the one before the Arc Hammer, with the level ending in that shuttle pod thingy.

Stuff was awesome. We also had an NES, but only had the Mario/Duck Hunt cartridge (I know). But our next door neighbor did have a collection of games. And it randomly disappeared at some point.

Parents wouldn't let us get a console. So we never got an N64, even when they were $100 in like 2000. In 2002 we got an Xbox with Halo. Thee player Slayer matches on a 13" TV? Awesome.

PC: 1995 to present day.
NES: 1995ish to 1997ish.
Xbox: 2002 to present day.
360: June 2006 to present.
PS2: August 2006 to September 2009 (my bro has it now).
GC: December? 2006 to present day.
DSLite: Feburary 2007 to present day.
PSP: June 2007 to present day (have two, actually).
Wii: May 2008 to present day.

Yeah, no N64 or PS1.

RoxStar
10-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Ooh I also played Wolfenstein 3D on DOS!

GeneralPloKoon
10-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Sony Playstation. The best console ever made IMO. Cant think of my favorite game as I played soooo many. My first game though was Gex:Enter the Gecko.

Anthony
10-11-2009, 12:13 PM
PC. First game I ever played was Red Baron for DOS. Ahaha

PC is still my fav by a long long shot

edlib
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I still have a Red Baron CD on my shelf. Huh...

First system: Atari 2600.
Fave game:Adventure, followed closely by Asteroids.

2nd game system: Colecovision. (I liked it better than Atari.)

Then: Pentium 1 Win 95 PC.

After that: Gamecube, and XBoX 360.

Darth Groovy
10-12-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/consoles/intellivision2.JPG

Intellivision II, with the Intellivoice module so that certain games could "talk".

Favorite games is hard to say but these ones I played the most:

http://www.brooklynboysgames.com/intellivision/Burgertime.jpg

http://intvfunhouse.com/intellivisioninc/box/bump-100.jpg

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/intellivisioninc/box/dndc-100.jpg

http://www.brooklynboysgames.com/intellivision/Space_Spartans.jpg

http://www.brooklynboysgames.com/intellivision/B17_Bomber.jpg

Rogue15
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
super nintendo was my first gaming system and super mario world being the first game i played on it.

favorite game on snes? idk, i liked all the games i had. mario kart 64 and the donkey kong country games i enjoyed alot.

Jeff
10-12-2009, 09:57 AM
favorite game on snes? idk, i liked all the games i had. mario kart 64yes what a good snes game

Lynk Former
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
@ Jeff: SNES is so awesome it can play games from every other system.

MrWally
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Saw this on digg and thought it was appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrQ70tGoWMM
(Linked instead of embedded. Watch at your own risk.)

It makes me glad that no one has mentioned Neo Geo yet.

Black Knight of Keno
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Amiga 500 and Indy Heat. Ohhhhh yeah!

Yeah, not really a gaming system or anything, but that was my very first introduction into gaming nonetheless.

Alexrd
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Game System: Sega Mega Drive II

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/SonicTheHedgehog1.png

Darth Avlectus
10-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Saw this on digg and thought it was appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrQ70tGoWMM
(Linked instead of embedded. Watch at your own risk.)

It makes me glad that no one has mentioned Neo Geo yet.

ROFL LMAO Yeeeah! You *cruel* sadistic bastard! >:-} That was so disturbing it was hillarious!

Boba Rhett
10-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Summer Games on the Commadore 64, baby, yeah!

Jae Onasi
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Magnavox Odyssey.

Favorite games: Haunted House, Cat and Mouse

Beat that one, Pong players. ;P

Darth Avlectus
10-26-2009, 11:52 PM
^^^O_O I just bought 3 of those from a garage sale... and IIRCSome family friends had it set up when I was a kid.

Deezamn. I want to open a retro arcade now.