PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Island 2 - Special Edition

bgbennyboy
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
We'll be needing a new thread for MI2:SE.

Obviously the files are still encrypted on steam right now, and I probably wont be around when the game is first unlocked. So for those who are, this might help. Obviously its only based on assumptions from looking at the encrypted preloaded files:

The Pak file:
It looks a lot smaller than expected - my guess is that its compressed in a similar manner to the xbox version of MI1SE. If thats the case then running XBDecompress (http://www.sendspace.com/file/oilp36) on it might do the trick.
Try and have a poke around using Monkey Island Explorer (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203598) it might work, if the format is the same.

The audio:
The audio is still in standard wavebanks/soundbanks so its likely that jott's modified UnXwb tool (http://helicoid.de/scumm/unxwb-mi.zip) will work just fine. Assuming that everything's in the same format (xwma) then this automated solution (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2651977&postcount=111) might work.

[Edit] See later posts
See this post to extract the music (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2737610&postcount=14)
See this post to browse and extract the .pak (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2737694&postcount=22)

TheJoe
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Monkey Explorer tells me it's not a valid bundle, xbdecompress says it wasn't compressed normally.

bgbennyboy
07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Steam hasn't unlocked the game yet so the files are all still encrypted by steam.

TheJoe
07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh - I thought they only encrypted the main .exe. Well then. My comment is moot.

bgbennyboy
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I've had a look a the pak file in the iphone version. The format seems the same except in the file records: the dword for offset in namedir is wrong. It doesnt point to a valid filename in the namedir.

Monkey Mania
07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Dr Fred: Let's get cracking!

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
UnXWB recognises the music (in musicnew at least) as ADP format - which I think is some ADPCM variant.

The pak file format isnt quite the same, as I said previously, the offset in namedir entries are wrong

TheJoe
07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I was able to open the pak in Monkey Explorer, but the preview shows everything corrupted.

DDS Decode failed! _coffin-skin/costumes_a03.dxt
DDS Decode failed! e_maphelphowto_bundle_pk_a02.dxt

Hope that's helpful in some way.

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Music - I've tried various tools to decode it, even the AdpcmEncode.exe that comes with the directx sdk but no luck so far
[Edit] See later posts

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Sorted it! They really are just generic MS ADPCM!
Unpack the files with UnXwb - play them back with something like VLC

Monkey Mania
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Any luck on the pak file?

MusiclyInspired
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, it seems like opening the PAK file with Monkey Island Explorer views the files properly but the graphics are all garbled. Also, a friend of mine tried extracting the music files and opened them in audacity. While you can see the waveform, audacity will not play them, apparently.

MusiclyInspired
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Hmmm, it seems that all the musical transitions are controlled by the MI2_MUSIC_IMPLEMENTATION.csv file located in the AUDIO folder. I wonder if you can mess with it...

Also, I can't seem to find the original game files in the PAK...

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I've put together a package to automate the decoding of the MI2 music.
Instructions are in the readme but the process is basically this:

Drag and drop an .xwb file onto the file named DECODEAUDIO
It'll take a few minutes to complete, the new files will be in the "Decoded" folder.
I've only tested it with MusicNew.xwb as my brain is fried, but I assume it'll work for some of the others.
See the readme for more information.

Download it here. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/downloads?download=MI2_SE_MusicExtractor0.2.zip)

[Edit] Updated the download with a new version that is a lot quicker (thanks to Meelkee)

[Edit 2] Use the latest version of Monkey Island Explorer (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software#miexplorer) instead.

Tecman
07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Awesome, thanks.

Was just writing on how to do it "manually" with Audacity, FFmpeg and LAME and using multiple export, but this is much more user friendly. :) Although that does output .mp3s instead of .wavs like here, so people will still have to use some converting software, but no biggie.

MusiclyInspired
07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
What? It creates MP3s? Are the source files MP3s or is the encoding done after the extraction? I'd rather have WAVs so I can convert to the superior OGG format or whatever else I want without quality degradation.

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Read the readme...and my post. It creates wav's ¬¬

MusiclyInspired
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Ah, I misunderstood Tecman's post...

Serge
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Just in case you haven't already done it, bg (I can't tell from the thread), the filename table offsets in .PAK should simply be ignored completely - the entries of the filename table are actually stored in the same order as the entires of the file offsets/size table, so for the first file, start from the beginning of the name table and just read the name up until the null terminator. For the next file, read from there until the next, etc.

Still no idea where the hell those name table offsets come from, but since monkey1.pak had the file table in the same order as the actual file content (while monkey2.pak doesn't), there's probably a bug there, and they never actually use the filename table offsets in either game.

Serge
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
... and the image data in the .dxt files is gzipped.

Monkey Mania
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Any way to re-inject audio data?

bgbennyboy
07-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Just in case you haven't already done it, bg (I can't tell from the thread), the filename table offsets in .PAK should simply be ignored completely - the entries of the filename table are actually stored in the same order as the entires of the file offsets/size table, so for the first file, start from the beginning of the name table and just read the name up until the null terminator. For the next file, read from there until the next, etc.

Still no idea where the hell those name table offsets come from, but since monkey1.pak had the file table in the same order as the actual file content (while monkey2.pak doesn't), there's probably a bug there, and they never actually use the filename table offsets in either game.

Thanks for that Serge, I've only really looked at the audio stuff this evening :)

Thanks to Serge I've updated Monkey Island Explorer to support MI2-SE. Its not fully optimised or anything yet - but it'll work for browsing the pak and extracting images and files.

It'll also work with the Xbox (if you use the XBDecompress tool) and iPhone versions should you feel the need to delve into them.

Get it here. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/downloads?download=MISE_Explorer_0.3.zip)

TheJoe
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Beautiful. Works nicely. MI2:SE works without the pakfile being there, too, so you can extract it and be done with it like the original.

Interestingly enough, despite there being obvious changes to it, the original classic files are, like MISE, binary identical to the original CD version of MI2. I've checked the game in ScummVM and the credit sequence is still there, so it looks like it's being automatically skipped.

A .wav in the music file is SE_CreditsSequence.wav. This makes me believe that the titles are in there somewhere, and are just being skipped straight away.

edit:
Done some more poking around. Found the list of names for the dancing monkey scene and three xml costume reference files known as:

160_monkey-stop-skin.costume.xml
161_monkey-dance-skin.costume.xml
162_opening-credit-guybrush.costume.xml

What do we think about that?

Also:
http://thejoe.co.uk/stuff/dancinmonkeys.png

OzzieMonkey
07-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Beautiful. Works nicely. MI2:SE works without the pakfile being there, too, so you can extract it and be done with it like the original.

Interestingly enough, despite there being obvious changes to it, the original classic files are, like MISE, binary identical to the original CD version of MI2. I've checked the game in ScummVM and the credit sequence is still there, so it looks like it's being automatically skipped.

A .wav in the music file is SE_CreditsSequence.wav. This makes me believe that the titles are in there somewhere, and are just being skipped straight away.

edit:
Done some more poking around. Found the list of names for the dancing monkey scene and three xml costume reference files known as:

160_monkey-stop-skin.costume.xml
161_monkey-dance-skin.costume.xml
162_opening-credit-guybrush.costume.xml

Also:
http://thejoe.co.uk/stuff/dancinmonkeys.png

So essentially you're saying that the full opening sequence is available, but it's just being blocked? Ok, then how do we go about fixing that?

Monkey Mania
07-08-2010, 03:34 AM
It seems the graphics use a different kind of compression. Any ideas?

Kenko
07-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Is there a voice-file too?

Serge
07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
It seems the graphics use a different kind of compression. Any ideas?

... and the image data in the .dxt files is gzipped.

I.e., "DXT5" [width] [height] [gzipped (and DXT5 compressed) data]

elTee
07-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I wonder, would it be possible to rename the two music files and swap them around - would this enable the SE music in classic mode, or cause epic failure? I can't try it out til later - but the classic version music is balls.

Kenko
07-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I found the backgrounds for the opening credits, rooms\images\103_open-cred\, but they are not in SE graphics.

And song exists and is called "mx154_SE_OpeningCredits_nl"

I was also going to look for the speech, but they are all named "000000XX", so it won't be easy to find, if they recorded it.

EDIT: Are they named like that because the decoder doesn't work properly with Speech.xwb, or are they supposed to be like that?

s-island
07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I wonder, would it be possible to rename the two music files and swap them around - would this enable the SE music in classic mode, or cause epic failure? I can't try it out til later - but the classic version music is balls.Or one cold record the MT-32 tracks properly, if it's possible to write a new .xwb file.

OzzieMonkey
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I wonder, would it be possible to rename the two music files and swap them around - would this enable the SE music in classic mode, or cause epic failure? I can't try it out til later - but the classic version music is balls.

That would be really awesome if we could do that. If someone figures it out, please tell us!

elTee
07-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Or one cold record the MT-32 tracks properly, if it's possible to write a new .xwb file.

Yeah, if we can write a new .wxb that would be the ultimate. I wouldn't want to manufacture all those tracks though :)

s-island
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Hah, maybe SurplusGamer will get his MP3 soundtrack. ;

TheJoe
07-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Or one cold record the MT-32 tracks properly, if it's possible to write a new .xwb file.

I can't get MT-32 tracks, but I can record the music with Shan's soundfont which is very close to it. I would need a lot of time though since I only know how to do it in Linux which I don't have installed right now.

Also, yes. I believe the credit sequence is being locked away. I did even more poking and found interface files for the map pieces that surround the credits. They are, however, unfinished, copied straight from the original game. This leads me to believe that they gave up halfway through adding them.

LogicDeLuxe
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I wonder, what would happen, if we hack the scripts in monkey2.001 to force the game into easy mode?
And song existsObviously enough. It is playing in the main menu. :)

Laserschwert
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Obviously enough. It is playing in the main menu. :)But the file playing in the main menu is named "MUS_menu". The file named "OpeningCredits" is identical, but not used in the game ;)

Jenni
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I just tried that, and it doesn't work unfortunately. :( The classic version just goes silent, except for speech.

Kenko
07-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I did even more poking and found interface files for the map pieces that surround the credits. They are, however, unfinished, copied straight from the original game. This leads me to believe that they gave up halfway through adding them.
I found those too, but I didn't see the credit text.

I hope there is a way to "unlock" the opening credits.

TheJoe
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I found those too, but I didn't see the credit text.

I hope there is a way to "unlock" the opening credits.

I believe the credits are in art\ui\credits\title.credits.xml.

Edit:
Looking at the unencrypted sections of the file, it looks like those are actually the MISE credits. Poo.

Also, in the 'remonkeyed' credits, Tim Schafer's name is misspelled with an extra 'F'. I tried removing it, but that obviously failed because of the encryption or whatever. Anyway to mess around with these XMLs?

Kenko
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Edit:
Looking at the unencrypted sections of the file, it looks like those are actually the MISE credits. Poo.
I wonder why they are there.

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names :(

TheJoe
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Also I finally finished decoding all the 7157 speech-files. Too bad they don't have proper names :(

If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.

Kenko
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
If we could decrypt speech.info, I'm sure we could find which lines are which by matching the lines. That's how classic SCUMM worked anyway, you could attach a reference to a speech file in MONSTER.SOU to a line and easily translate that reference.
Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?

MusiclyInspired
07-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I can't get MT-32 tracks, but I can record the music with Shan's soundfont which is very close to it. I would need a lot of time though since I only know how to do it in Linux which I don't have installed right now.

No. No emulators. No soundfonts. A real MT-32 or nothing at all. There really is nothing like it. I have an MT-32. I might be persuaded to take on the task. Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.

I'm still really bummed that the music in the Dinky Island jungle was plain scrapped.

TheJoe
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Some parts of it is readable, but I don't really know what to look for.

And where do I find the MONSTER.SOU?

MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.

Can't you extract all the MIDI files from a Scumm game with Scumm Revisited or something? That would make things easier. Then you could compare them with the SE classic soundtrack to get what you need.
Yes. Although General MIDI tracks don't exist in the original MI2, there's only Adlib, PC Speaker and Roland. ScummVM converts them to GM on the fly. I personally don't think the originals sound too good.

Kenko
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
MONSTER.SOU isn't used in the SE, it's the file for speech in SCUMM v5. I was just comparing speech.info and how SCUMM used to reference speech.
I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?

TheJoe
07-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I see.

The line "GUY_103_open-credits_1_1" is next to the line "You guys get out of here!" in the speech.info file. Could this be useful?

Well it means the line's in there. I tried 0000103.wav, but it's not Guybrush at all. In fact I'm not sure who that is.

Monkey Mania
07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
What's the process of getting a custom graphics file to work? I tried Gzipping it but the filesize was wrong.

ATMachine
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).

bgbennyboy
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
What's the process of getting a custom graphics file to work? I tried Gzipping it but the filesize was wrong.

Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.

bgbennyboy
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey, thanks for the tool, Benny! I've used it to extract the concept art at full size, without those annoying button overlays you see in-game. It's quite nice (and it's how I noticed the early "Crooked Island" name for Booty, which is hidden away written in the corner on one drawing, beneath the giant Back button the SE art gallery superimposes).

Ta, I've avoided looking too much at the files as I've not completed the game myself yet :)

Monkey Mania
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Basically, strip back the dds header, put back the original 12 byte header, follow it with the gzipped data.

If people really want to do this then I'm sure that I, or someone else will make a tool to do it in the next few days.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but a tool would be very nice.

myloch
07-08-2010, 05:47 PM
I heard there were lotta ppl not happy with monkey island 1 SE backgrounds (graphic glitches). what's the situation with the special edition of monkey island 2? Better I hope.

Meelkee
07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I've put together a package to automate the decoding of the MI2 music.
Instructions are in the readme but the process is basically this:

Drag and drop an .xwb file onto the file named DECODEAUDIO
It'll take a long time to complete, the new files will be in the "Decoded" folder.
I've only tested it with MusicNew.xwb as my brain is fried, but I assume it'll work for some of the others.
See the readme for more information.

Download it here. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/downloads?download=MI2_SE_MusicExtractor0.1.zip)

Thanks SOOOO much for this. I feel like I'm 12 years old again when listening to all the tunes ;)

One short hint: The conversion takes so long because of all those verbose message lines. So if you want to save many hours, you can just disable them by adding a "-v 0" to the command in the batch file so that it looks like this:

..\unxwb.exe -r "..\ffmpeg.exe -v 0 -i #FILE ..\Decoded\#FILE"

Again, many thanks!

LogicDeLuxe
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I heard there were lotta ppl not happy with monkey island 1 SE backgrounds (graphic glitches). what's the situation with the special edition of monkey island 2? Better I hope.While there is similar sloppiness, I would say, it is an improvement. The worst example of remaining classic pixels I noticed is at the Scabb island beach left to the camp fire.

bgbennyboy
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Good idea, I'll add that in now. The package was just hurriedly put together last night so that people could rip the music.

bgbennyboy
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Meelkee: Thanks for the suggestion, it is indeed a lot quicker :)

I've updated the download link in my earlier post (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2737610&postcount=14) with the new version.

LogicDeLuxe
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Largo's easy mode cloth is in his room and the inventory icon is there. I wonder if they actually intended to have easy mode available at one point.
On the other hand, there are highres versions of all the unused inventory icons, which is pretty useless.
The opening sequence backgrounds are there, but merely scaled up. No highres art there.

I wonder, if there are unused voice acting again. Maybe even easy mode texts. I wish, we could extract the voice acting with proper names.

When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.

MusiclyInspired
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
More than likely they just blindly redid every piece of art in the game and didn't even know easy mode existed.

LordTrilobite
07-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm working on a HD version of one of opeing credits backgrounds as a test to see how it turns out. Would be so awesome if someone is able to 'unlock' the intro.

bgbennyboy
07-09-2010, 02:29 PM
When extracting the commentary file, the extractor asks me to overwrite every single file. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I answer yes or no. Can this be fixed? I don't want to hammer my keyboard for every single who knows how many files.

Works fine for me, it'll only be asking you that if the files exist and seeing as commentary has names like 0000000c.wav - you've probably extracted files from another soundbank that have the same name.

LogicDeLuxe
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I just played easy mode. The only thing which isn't right there is the hint system, but if someone uses it, he doesn't need easy mode to begin with.
All easy exclusive stuff seems to work just fine. Well, maybe except when Wally's turning out the light, it is accompanied by a slurping sound. Not exactly what the dialogs suggest. It's probably in the scripts that way, since in Adlib, that sound could be anything.

If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode: http://www.mediafire.com/?20wqej2wk2y
Put the patched monkey2.000 and monkey2.001 to classic\en\
To undo it, just removes the files from classic\en\

LordTrilobite
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think I've ever played easy mode.
I also never found the dungeon room where Wally is kept.

LogicDeLuxe
07-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I also never found the dungeon room where Wally is kept.In the room with many arrow signs, go front right and then straight through the next screen.

Tzar Sectus
07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the easy mode patch! I quickly breezed through it myself. I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine. I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?

By the way, is it possible to repack the xwb files so you can replace the music in them? The project is probably too ambitious, but it would be nice to replace the classic mode music with MT-32 music.

Monkey Mania
07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
a pre-mixed, re-synced bone song could be included also.

OzzieMonkey
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey, if someone can edit this clip into the game somehow, but changing it so that the "you guys get out of here" line is "hey, stop that" from Escape from Monkey Island (Timmy and the bananas) that would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnO_Os9pdQ

Monkey Mania
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Hey, if someone can edit this clip into the game somehow, but changing it so that the "you guys get out of here" line is "hey, stop that" from Escape from Monkey Island (Timmy and the bananas) that would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnO_Os9pdQ

Actually, "you guys get out of here" is in the game.

check out 00000e8a.wav

OzzieMonkey
07-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Actually, "you guys get out of here" is in the game.

check out 00000e8a.wav

Where is that file?

LogicDeLuxe
07-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I did notice a few other very minor bugs (had to doubleclick to exit from the woodshop, a few animation glitches in Stan's shop), but it worked just fine.I don't think those are related to the patch. Is there even a difference at Stan's?
In the woodshop, were someone talking by any chance? I noticed, the engine waits for voice playback to be finished before loading the next room, which is generally a good idea, but can be irritating at times.

One particular animation glitch at Stan's is when Guybrush asks about the coffin and actually points in the other direction. That is no SE bug, though, as it was always there before.I'm surprised all of the voice acting for easy mode is there. Maybe they removed it since they thought it wouldn't be necessary due to the hint system?I suspect, they just did it like they did in some previous releases too. The easy mode selection is in a room called "copycrap", which has a terrible messy scripting, probably in order to scare of crackers. They just skipped that room altogether, which is very easy to do. On the other hand, there is a boot parameter for easy mode, which they just could have used, but the SE team probably didn't notice that anyways.

TheHutt
07-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Are the lines for "things to do after the game" in the game? Maybe they could be unlocked?

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 07:13 AM

That can be fixed. The names of the speech files are in the accompanying soundbank (.xsb).

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I've talked with silverwolfpet at Telltale about an MT-32. Unfortunately, he doesn't have one. But he tells me he'll get in contact with someone who might do.

So now we just need to know how to repack and .xwb and we may have MT-32 music on the way.

There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 07:32 AM
There are two possible approaches to repacking:

1) Hack the original .xwb file - just changing the data and adjusting the block sizes.

2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.

Good stuff. Do you know of any way to get XACT on its own? Grabbing the entire studio would take a lot of time, I imagine.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't sorry. I just got it with XNA.

I'm currently using it to try and rebuild a wavebank though, to see if I can get one that - while not identical - the game will accept.

LogicDeLuxe
07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
2) Use the Microsoft's XACT tool (the tool that was originally used to build and compile the wavebanks) to make a new one. This might be a simpler approach. XACT comes with the free XNA Game Studio. Note that it only accepts wav/aif/aiff music/sounds so any re-recording shouldnt be encoded in a lossy format as you'd have to convert it back to wav again anyway.Are you sure it doesn't accept compressed WAV files? I didn't try. How does the game use lossy codecs for most of the sounds then? It does use ADPCM for many samples, right?

And I wonder, what do they use Libogg, Libvorbis and Libjpeg for? Their licenses are included in the SE credits, so I assume they are compiled in for some reason.

I'm currently using it to try and rebuild a wavebank though, to see if I can get one that - while not identical - the game will accept.The bone song sure is worth a try. Mixing the voice acting in, and silence the voice files. That should solve sync problems here for sure.
If you managed to get it working, a patch would be great.

The MT-32 business is a lot more work, of course.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I meant it doesn't accept them as input. It'll output to a wavebank as ADPCM/xWMA/XMA.

I can only imagine that ogg/vorbis is used in the PS3 version - where wavebanks/soundbanks probably aren't used.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I got the musicnew wavebank recompiled and after a bit of fiddling (you have to make sure the version and headerversion dwords match) got it to work ingame.

Unfortunately, although internally the names were the same, the order in the wavebank must be important because the wrong tracks played at the wrong times and imuse got very confused.

With a bit more tweaking though I should be able to give you all a working project workflow for replacing the music :)

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I've potentially found a FLAC rip of MI2 MT-32 tracks. The catch is, it's a torrent.

Are we OK with packing torrented music, or should we continue to seek a real MT-32 and rip it manually?

LogicDeLuxe
07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I've potentially found a FLAC rip of MI2 MT-32 tracks. The catch is, it's a torrent.Is it my remixed version by any chance? :)

Unfortunately, all available soundtracks are useless because of iMuse. If we want to replace the MT-32 tracks, we have to record the pieces of the original MIDIs separately, so the engine can mix it in real time. This is a big and important difference to the soundtracks meant for listening without the game.

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Is it my remixed version by any chance? :)

Unfortunately, all available soundtracks are useless because of iMuse. If we want to replace the MT-32 tracks, we have to record the pieces of the original MIDIs separately, so the engine can mix it in real time. This is a big and important difference to the soundtracks meant for listening without the game.

What do you know. It is yours! Just how remixed is it?

Also, iMUSE doesn't work the same way in the SE as it does in SCUMM. All the tracks are wav, as you may already know. They're already in the xwb as full wav tracks.

SKA-T
07-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I got the musicnew wavebank recompiled and after a bit of fiddling (you have to make sure the version and headerversion dwords match) got it to work ingame.

Unfortunately, although internally the names were the same, the order in the wavebank must be important because the wrong tracks played at the wrong times and imuse got very confused.

With a bit more tweaking though I should be able to give you all a working project workflow for replacing the music :)

Also I'm pretty sure that the matching cue file is what the game engine points to in order to play any sounds. If I'm understanding it correctly. The cue's point to sounds in the wave bank, and after comparing the order in which the speech files were ripped out and then the order of the file name list in the SpeechCues file they are not sequential. Haven't quite figured out yet how to get from the sound bank file (the cue file) to the wave bank file to match everything up. Without doing it by listening to every single file.

Tzar Sectus
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think those are related to the patch. Is there even a difference at Stan's?
In the woodshop, were someone talking by any chance? I noticed, the engine waits for voice playback to be finished before loading the next room, which is generally a good idea, but can be irritating at times.
Maybe it's just general bugs but I only experienced them during the easy mode playthrough. With the woodshop I clicked on the doorway and Guybrush walked halfway out the doorway and just froze (no dialogue was playing either). At first I thought it had glitched since there wasn't any visible animation on screen. But if I clicked on the doorway another time, it instantly switched to Woodtick hub. That happened every time I visited the woodshop too. I think I experienced a similar bug when going to Woodtick via the Scabb map.

With Stan I got a rather major bug. I think it was during the scene he gave me the handkerchief while I was closing the lid of the coffin. And suddenly he was standing for a few seconds without animating and with no face. But that was fixed after 1-2 seconds.

So well, I dunno how easy mode works. Does it have its own script files compared to hard mode, or only small changes (ie, "if this is easy mode, remove this item")? If it's the latter, I guess I just stumbled on general bugs.

I've got a Roland LAPC1 card in a computer stashed away somewhere. I haven't used it in a few years but it should work fine. Maybe I could help somehow.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Also I'm pretty sure that the matching cue file is what the game engine points to in order to play any sounds. If I'm understanding it correctly. The cue's point to sounds in the wave bank, and after comparing the order in which the speech files were ripped out and then the order of the file name list in the SpeechCues file they are not sequential. Haven't quite figured out yet how to get from the sound bank file (the cue file) to the wave bank file to match everything up. Without doing it by listening to every single file.

Looking at it now, XACT doesn't let you change the order of files in an wavebank or soundbank - its just alphabetical. So I agree, its as you say, its the soundbank cue's that are the problem. In the one that's shipped with the game the cue's are named "track100" etc and then the cue's are mapped to the names in the wavebank. We could fix this by just replacing the soundbank too, but its that mapping we need to get right first.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Thinking about it, Unxwb can use XSB files to name the tracks (the -b switch). If we dump the tracks using that, it may dump the tracks with their correct soundbank name. If this works can we can easily work out the mapping between the names based on filesize or track length.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorted it. Attached is a spreadsheet with the mappings.

Kenko
07-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Will that work for the speech-files as well?

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes, I'll do it for the speech files later

LogicDeLuxe
07-10-2010, 03:22 PM
But if I clicked on the doorway another time, it instantly switched to Woodtick hub.In case you used savegames between easy and hard mode, keep in mind that the original game displays a warning to remind you about the mode switch. This can be seen in classic mode, but is invisible in enhanced mode. If the game hangs, try switching to classic mode and check, if there is such a message box.So well, I dunno how easy mode works. Does it have its own script files compared to hard mode, or only small changes (ie, "if this is easy mode, remove this item")?The latter. A lot of items and hotspots are just removed and a few are added. Some actions have a mode queries too.

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Attached is the mappings for the speech files.

Later on I'll amend the music extractor so that it gives the speech files the correct names.

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Logic, judging by the description of your soundtrack rip, the tracks have been modified somewhat. Other than the change in drums, to what extent are they modified? Would they be suitable for inclusion into the game?

bgbennyboy
07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I've got it all working now. It turns out that the order of files in wavebanks can be different - but you cant re-order them in the editor. They are listed and stored in the order that they are imported.

I've now got an XACT project that references the music in the correct order and compiles a wavebank that works in-game just as the original does :)

TheJoe
07-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Great news! Now, to get ripping.

LogicDeLuxe
07-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Logic, judging by the description of your soundtrack rip, the tracks have been modified somewhat. Other than the change in drums, to what extent are they modified?The sound of it is not altered any further. A few obvious problems were fixed. It should be all there in the description.Would they be suitable for inclusion into the game?As I said, they aren't. And any other soundtrack recording you can find over the internet isn't either.
Extract the classic tracks from the SE and take a listen to all those files. See how they are separated in bits and pieces? Any rerecording has to be done in the exact same way.

TheJoe
07-11-2010, 07:35 AM
The sound of it is not altered any further. A few obvious problems were fixed. It should be all there in the description.As I said, they aren't. And any other soundtrack recording you can find over the internet isn't either.
Extract the classic tracks from the SE and take a listen to all those files. See how they are separated in bits and pieces? Any rerecording has to be done in the exact same way.

That shouldn't be too difficult for a musically inclined person, I guess. Do you still have the MT-32 and tools that you used to rip that? And if so, would you be willing to re-rip the soundtrack at all? It seems that you know what you're doing.

bgbennyboy
07-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Attached is the XACT project file for MusicNew. It contains the correct compression preset and has the music in the correct order. When you go to compile the project it'll ask you where to find the wav's and you can then point it to the correct location on your computer.

You only need to replace the wavebank (.xwb) - leave the soundbank alone - it contains additional settings and cues that arent in the one generated by my project file. If it doesn't work, you may need to hex edit MusicNew.xwb and change the version information in the file so that it matches the xact version expected by the game. To do this, change the dword at offset 4 to 46 and the dword at offset 8 to 44.

Now:
I could produce a similar project file for MusicOriginal.wxb to let people replace the music from the old version but right now I'm not going to. While this does work and would let people edit the music there are problems:

Doing this could potentially lead to a loss of fidelity in the music. For this process to work you have to use my tool to decode the music from the original wavebank. This converts it from MS-ADPCM back to a normal PCM wave. When you then put this in XACT and it compiles the wavebank it then converts it back to MS-ADPCM. As far as I know ADPCM is a lossy format so there's potentially some loss of quality. Personally I cant tell the difference between the two but I'm sure someone somewhere will claim they can.

Its not practical (and a bit dubious) to distribute an entire wavebank. MusicNew is 365mb and because the audio has been re-encoded the contents of the file are mostly different to the original wavebank. This means that distributing a patch file is pointless - it'd be nearly as big as the wavebank itself.

The best solution then would be for someone to make a tool that would just patch the wavebank - keeping all the data intact, but replacing the data in one track and adjusting the offsets to match. This would mean that the quality of the source music would remain unchanged and a patch to legally inject the new music would be a much more practical possibility. If people are genuinely interested in editing the music then we can discuss this in this thread and I'll help come up with a solution. I've been burned before though with projects like this and creating tools that no-one uses.

TheJoe
07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Releasing the music patch as a tool was always on my agenda. I didn't think it would be right to distribute a hack like that.

I've found someone at GOG forums that may be interested in ripping the tracks. He's already done a complete (but somewhat rushed) rip of MI1. He's asked me about the new iMUSE, but I'm not really sure about this:
Do the new soundtrack layer tracks on top of each other or fade between tracks?
Anyone got any ideas on that? I'm really unsure how music fading works in the SE.

SKA-T
07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Attached is the XACT project file for MusicNew. It contains the correct compression preset and has the music in the correct order. When you go to compile the project it'll ask you where to find the wav's and you can then point it to the correct location on your computer.

Did you change something? Or was this just proof of concept?

Tzar Sectus
07-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Anyone got any ideas on that? I'm really unsure how music fading works in the SE.
I'm been working with the music files in the remake in order to piece together a soundtrack, and I'm fairly certain there's no fading going on. The imuse seems to be working in different ways. Some examples...

-In Woodtick each area has about 18 different outros which leads to the main Woodtick theme. I'll wait until it's in place for one of those outros, then switch to that and start playing the Woodtick main theme about halfway through it. Oddly enough, I don't see the Woodtick main theme having any more than 2 transitions, which are super short. I'm certain other areas in the game do similar transitions, although no area is as complex as Woodtick when it comes to amount of transitions.

-Scene where you argue with Elaine has one main theme, with a ton of short snippets of music (about 1-3 seconds each) which will play depending on whether you choose wrong or right lines.

-Cemetary music has 2 themes (main theme and the theme in crypt), they're completely in sync and it'll simply switch instantly to the other as you move between the areas. I think some other areas do the same thing, like the music in the booty town.

-Music for the Voodoo Lady is split up into different parts. Depending on where you are, it'll either play one or two of those parts, or all at the same time. It also has short snippets of music it can play.

I'm guessing the original music in MI2 has a very similar system so if we can record the midi files within the data files, that should hopefully be easy to line up. Woodtick would probably be the biggest challenge though.

LogicDeLuxe
07-12-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm been working with the music files in the remake in order to piece together a soundtrack, and I'm fairly certain there's no fading going on.There should, though. For instance, entering and leaving Largo's room changes to a different main melody while continuing the background. The original game fades them over. The SE could just do the same, but they cut to the other version instantly for some reason. So they do in any other places which are supposed to have fades. iMuse digital, while in fact different and slightly limited, is no excuse here, as we have wonderful examples of working fades in CMI and EMI.-Cemetary music has 2 themes (main theme and the theme in crypt)There are more then two: Main area, tombstones, the crypt and Rapp's coffin, which are supposed to fade over. There are additional cues for Rapp's transformations. And a transition when digging out the bone.-Music for the Voodoo Lady is split up into different parts. Depending on where you are, it'll either play one or two of those parts, or all at the same time.I wonder, why they decided to mix them in real time instead of fade to each other. It increases the load with no gain. In fact, it even seems bugged, as I got them playing out of sync at least two times.It also has short snippets of music it can play.While those are all there, this part seems bugged too. I never got them actually playing in the game when they should.

TheHutt
07-12-2010, 05:28 AM
There should, though. For instance, entering and leaving Largo's room changes to a different main melody while continuing the background.
Same as with the Men of Low Moral Fiber (Pirates). As soon as you talk with them, a harmonica instrument fades up, while the background remains the same. When you stop talking, it fades away.

Teeth
07-12-2010, 07:04 AM
If the Special Edition is built on top of the original game, then maybe it would be possible to disable the new audio system when in classic mode and just re-enable the original midi soundtrack? It might not play properly, but tools like VDMSound could be of use.

LogicDeLuxe
07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
If the Special Edition is built on top of the original game, then maybe it would be possible to disable the new audio system when in classic mode and just re-enable the original midi soundtrack? It might not play properly, but tools like VDMSound could be of use.VDMSound is for DOS games and won't help here at all. What you need is MIDI capabilities in the engine, which probably is very easy to port to Windows for them. But they apparently think that no one wants to use a real MT-32 anymore. I've heard that there is no native MIDI support for their other Steam releases either, which is an unnecessary limitation, imho.

myloch
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
after some days of testing I can say the special edition of monkey 2 is FAR BETTER than mi1se. it feels like made by a different team of programmers. there are some minor graphic glitches or visible original pixels but it's nothing like the mess found in monkey 1. the animations are not the state of the art but acceptable, again, better than those of mi1se. the graphic art style is very good, with a high fidelity to steve purcell original art. so imho...good job lucasarts!

TheHutt
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
By the way...

Did anyone figure out how the language change works in the Steam version of MI2 SE? I know it includes English, German, French, Italian and Spanish languages (for subtitles). There is a Launcher by Skidrow to change the language on their (pirated) version (which I cannot and shall not condone). However, it only works for their version, not for the original unpatched Steam version. There, on my system, the language remains English no matter what.

LogicDeLuxe
07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
By the way...

Did anyone figure out how the language change works in the Steam version of MI2 SE?http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6277/thsteam.png

Tzar Sectus
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Same as with the Men of Low Moral Fiber (Pirates). As soon as you talk with them, a harmonica instrument fades up, while the background remains the same. When you stop talking, it fades away.
It doesn't actually fade though. It is an instant switch to that variation of the tune. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any fading in any part of the game.

While those are all there, this part seems bugged too. I never got them actually playing in the game when they should.
Yeah, same here. The only time I've heard them is when I got a bug and the Voodoo theme kept playing after I left the swamp area, and then I started to hear the snippets of music on top of the normal voodoo music.

bgbennyboy
07-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Did you change something? Or was this just proof of concept?

Yes, I rebuilt the music from musicnew and checked it worked fine ingame, then I replaced MUS_Menu with a completely different song (Lucky Man by the Verve, as it was what was closest to hand) and it worked fine.

SKA-T
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice

MusiclyInspired
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

This is great news! Good luck!

It doesn't actually fade though. It is an instant switch to that variation of the tune. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember any fading in any part of the game.

Certain themes do fade between alternate tracks in the original game (low moral fiber guys, Largo's room, cemetery themes). It's not instant. I remember this clearly and experience it every time I've played it in ScummVM. The Voodoo Swamp doesn't fade in and out the instruments, though.[/QUOTE]

Tzar Sectus
07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Certain themes do fade between alternate tracks in the original game (low moral fiber guys, Largo's room, cemetery themes). It's not instant. I remember this clearly and experience it every time I've played it in ScummVM. The Voodoo Swamp doesn't fade in and out the instruments, though.
Oh, I'm talking about the special edition. I haven't heard any fading there.

MusiclyInspired
07-13-2010, 02:25 AM
Yes, well he was referring to the differences between the original and the SE I believe. Specifically, the fact that the SE is missing an missing instrument that the original has (and does fade in and out with, but the SE does not).

Tzar Sectus
07-13-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm getting a bit confused now. Are you referring to the Men of Low Moral Fiber music? There's no missing instrument there. There's 2 unique tracks for that room, and it switches between those if you start/stop talking with those guys. I'm not sure how the original works, but doesn't it do the same thing except with fading?

s-island
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
The original track has the trombone for Mad Marty in the right speaker. When you wake the men of low moral fibre up, the trombone fades down a bit and accordion and drums fade up in the left speaker. From what I can hear, the SE lacks the accordion and also does the panning wrong. When you listen to the classic mode music in that scene, the panning is also wrong, so maybe that's how the mistake happened...

MusiclyInspired
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
The panning is wrong because they recorded the classic soundtrack from the MT-32 and if you're playing the game files raw from the MT-32 (outside the game) the panning is reversed. They obviously based the SE soundtrack mix on their classic recordings which is why the SE soundtrack is also wrong. In their zeal to get it as faithful to the original as possible they made a bunch of rookie mistakes and it made the whole project suffer drastically.

Rapp Scallion
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Aw, I loved that accordion :(

paprik123456
07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Guys, I love what you do and what some of you also did on MI1:SE... its really interesting and cool watch how you can get into the games.. ok, so I have got some request for ya again :O)

I am used to repaint art from old games and put them back into the game so it looks better, what about some hack for MI2:SE BGs? I got the one you made for Mi1:SE and works great, but I am missing one for MI2:SE.

Could somebody make utility which will export all art out and also could be able to import them back into the game?

Thanks..

any detailed "HOW" explanation could be cool.

TheJoe
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys, I love what you do and what some of you also did on MI1:SE... its really interesting and cool watch how you can get into the games.. ok, so I have got some request for ya again :O)

I am used to repaint art from old games and put them back into the game so it looks better, what about some hack for MI2:SE BGs? I got the one you made for Mi1:SE and works great, but I am missing one for MI2:SE.

Could somebody make utility which will export all art out and also could be able to import them back into the game?

Thanks..

any detailed "HOW" explanation could be cool.

Monkey Explorer will let you view .dxt files solely, those are the textures. Export them as PNG, make what edits you want. As for converting those PNGs back into dxt, I'm not entirely sure. That's not my department. But MI2:SE works without monkey2.pak in the same way that MISE does, so it's a simple matter of replacing dxt's with modified ones.

kenand
07-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I with my friend made full Hungarian translation of MISE (We translated graphics also the result is much better than original : )
So We would like to translate MISE 2 , but Lucas changed test files, and old translation tools did not work with MISE 2.
Does anybody can help to us? (make new MISE compatible translation tool... )

paprik123456
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah,... MI1:SE utility does this:

open and export all files from .pak file
(that way I got completely opened game with folders)

I repainted it and overwrite old ones by new ones in game folder. Very simple isnt it?
So, does somebody has the power to make this similar utility for MI2:SE?

Thank you.

TheJoe
07-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah,... MI1:SE utility does this:

open and export all files from .pak file
(that way I got completely opened game with folders)

I repainted it and overwrite old ones by new ones in game folder. Very simple isnt it?
So, does somebody has the power to make this similar utility for MI2:SE?

Thank you.

It's already been done.

LordTrilobite
07-14-2010, 06:56 PM
The Monkey Island Explorer works with MI2:SE. You can use that to extract bitmaps.

Jackpumpkinhead
07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
okay so i am a little lost in most if not all of this
is it possible to rip all of the voices out of the game
and then insert them into the old game using ScummSpeaks
or is there an easier way?

TheJoe
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
okay so i am a little lost in most if not all of this
is it possible to rip all of the voices out of the game
and then insert them into the old game using ScummSpeaks
or is there an easier way?

You'll need to match each wav to the appropriate lines in ScummSpeaks. That's going to be a very tough thing to do.

What stage are you at? Did you unxwb the speech file?

SKA-T
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Attached is the mappings for the speech files.

Later on I'll amend the music extractor so that it gives the speech files the correct names.

No disrespect, but is it just me or does that list not match up?

Jackpumpkinhead
07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
You'll need to match each wav to the appropriate lines in ScummSpeaks. That's going to be a very tough thing to do.

What stage are you at? Did you unxwb the speech file?

i have done nothing
i am not sure what to do or where to start

bgbennyboy
07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
No disrespect, but is it just me or does that list not match up?

I gave it a quick test and it all seemed to. Which bits dont match?

SKA-T
07-15-2010, 06:48 PM
I gave it a quick test and it all seemed to. Which bits dont match?

Well, for instance. File 00000000.wav plays "To Elaine Marley!" Comparing against the speech.info file that should be either ZUL_55_entryway_16_26 or POT_55_entryway_17_1. The match in the spreadsheet says it's ZUL_55_entryway_69_2. The second entry in the spreadsheet says ANT_48_antique_1_2 whose text in the speech.info file is "I only sell the finest of pirate memorabilia"
but the 00000001.wav plays "To this great party!"

Or did my file numbering get totally jacked somehow in the conversion?

TheJoe
07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
i have done nothing
i am not sure what to do or where to start

Look for bgbennyboy's earlier post for his Wavebank Extractor. Extract the zip in the audio file in the MI2SE folder and literally drag the file speech.xwb onto DECODE_AUDIO.cmd. It will take some time, but eventually you will have wav files of all the dialogue in the Decoded folder.

Use bgbennyboy's spreadsheet to match each line.

Note that some have been changed, removed etc. Also remember that will be a very time consuming process. Best of luck.

kenand
07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
How can I extract image files with alpha channel?

I find the way. I must save not raw than DDS format (save all DDS images) with monkey island explorer.

I need only working translate tool for MISE 2....

paprik123456
07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I haven't tested the Monkey Island explorer 0.3 yet, but is it possible to get the 3D models of Guybrush or LeChuck out as well? What format is it? Is it packed in different format or can be opened in any 3D programs? Is it possible to get their textures too?

Monkey Mania
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't tested the Monkey Island explorer 0.3 yet, but is it possible to get the 3D models of Guybrush or LeChuck out as well? What format is it? Is it packed in different format or can be opened in any 3D programs? Is it possible to get their textures too?

There are no 3d models included in the game. What you are seeing are pictures of 3d models.

bgbennyboy
07-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Well, for instance. File 00000000.wav plays "To Elaine Marley!" Comparing against the speech.info file that should be either ZUL_55_entryway_16_26 or POT_55_entryway_17_1. The match in the spreadsheet says it's ZUL_55_entryway_69_2. The second entry in the spreadsheet says ANT_48_antique_1_2 whose text in the speech.info file is "I only sell the finest of pirate memorabilia"
but the 00000001.wav plays "To this great party!"

Or did my file numbering get totally jacked somehow in the conversion?

It sounds like I probably messed up with the speech. I'll have a look at it.

SKA-T
07-17-2010, 10:06 AM
It sounds like I probably messed up with the speech. I'll have a look at it.

I think I have it figured out, but I don't see how to attach the spreadsheet to my post here. I also have xsb files with just the cue names in the proper order to use with the -b switch in the program you posted in order to name them properly as they are extracted from the wavebank file. For just the speech and commentary at the moment, working on the rest.

bgbennyboy
07-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Zip it up and in advanced view go to 'manage attachments' or failing that send it me. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/contact)

What methodology did you use to match them up? I had just assumed that the cue names from the soundbank would match those in the wavebank, like in MusicNew.

SKA-T
07-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Zip it up and in advanced view go to 'manage attachments' or failing that send it me. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/contact)

What methodology did you use to match them up? I had just assumed that the cue names from the soundbank would match those in the wavebank, like in MusicNew.

In the soundbank file there are 128 bytes for storing the name of the soundbank and wavebank. Directly following that are indexes of the the cues in the soundbank. The order of indexes, starting at 0, is the same for the order of cues at the end of the file. At the end of each index the last 3 bytes indicate the position in the wavebank where that cue resides. In the speech soundbank all of the indexes are 19 bytes long except for the 0th, 6514th, and 6515th. Those 3 are 12 bytes long.

So, for instance the first (0) index ends in 42 02 00. The first (0) name in the cue list is ZUL_55_entryway_69_2. So the position of of that cue in the wavebank is 578. Again counting from zero. And so on and so forth through all 7157 cues.

It works the same for the commentary sound file except all the indexes in that file are all 12 bytes long. The music files seem to have multiples cues for the same sound, so those are giving me a little bit of trouble.

And I don't see a manage attachments option, maybe I don't have those privileges yet? Anyway I'll send you directly the spreadsheet.

bgbennyboy
07-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I've got a tool ready for re-encoding the DDS files back to DXT. The only thing holding it up now is the gzip settings.

Right now the files I produce are smaller than the original files, I assume this is a memory/compression tradeoff though, so I'm trying to make them the same (larger) size as they are originally.

I'm currently fiddling with WindowBits and CompressionLevel settings to try and find the magic combination.

bgbennyboy
07-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Sorted it. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2740435) :)

I couldn't get the compression identical to the original files, the closest I could get was by setting the windowbits to -8, the memlevel to 1 and using the fastest compression preset. I could've made the GZip'ed files for MI2 much smaller but I assume that the game has the larger filesizes for a reason - possibly a tradeoff for less memory needed for decompression.

Also - SKA-T - I've got your email, I'll post your stuff up tomorrow :)

bgbennyboy
07-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Here are (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/temp/SKA-T/Monkey 2 Mappings.zip) SKA-T's revised MI2 sound mappings.

I'll update the music dumper soon.

andrewvanmarle
07-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Has anyone managed to compile the voodoo and woodtick (etc) tracks to a sngle track with all the variations in it?

I have the wav's but I have no idea how to put them together.

Any suggestions, or completed files?

bgbennyboy
07-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Has anyone managed to compile the voodoo and woodtick (etc) tracks to a sngle track with all the variations in it?

I have the wav's but I have no idea how to put them together.

Any suggestions, or completed files?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204639

SKA-T
07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Here are (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/temp/SKA-T/Monkey 2 Mappings.zip) SKA-T's revised MI2 sound mappings.

I'll update the music dumper soon.

Thanks for putting that up. I should have an updated list with the matching dialog by the end of the day. It'll be a little easier to see than digging through the speech.info file if someone needs a quick reference.

kenand
07-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I've got a tool ready for re-encoding the DDS files back to DXT. The only thing holding it up now is the gzip settings.

Right now the files I produce are smaller than the original files, I assume this is a memory/compression tradeoff though, so I'm trying to make them the same (larger) size as they are originally.

I'm currently fiddling with WindowBits and CompressionLevel settings to try and find the magic combination.

If you finished it, please put it. I wish to use dds to DXT converter.

And I'm looking for fonts:
(Font for episode titles)

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/100718/logo_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

and Phatt Island logo
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/100718/phatt_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

bgbennyboy
07-18-2010, 10:44 AM
If you finished it, please put it. I wish to use dds to DXT converter.

Read the rest of the thread ::

kenand
07-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Thank you for converter

Laserschwert
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
And I'm looking for fontsI'm pretty sure they are handdrawn.

kenand
07-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they are handdrawn.

I'm not sure.
I found all fonts in MISE 1 used in graphics and translated pictures to Hungarian language

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/100718/felirat_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Farlander1991
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
That's because it's MI1:SE. Most of the MI2:SE graphic texts are really handdrawn (in the same style as they were drawn in MI2 original) so you will have to redraw yourself by hand. Chances that there are fonts for that are close to nil.

paprik123456
07-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Guys, can somebody upload all music from MI1:SE and MI2:SE as mp3 somewhere, so we can download it?? appreciated

SKA-T
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Guys, can somebody upload all music from MI1:SE and MI2:SE as mp3 somewhere, so we can download it?? appreciated

Audacity is a free program and it will encode the wav files to just about any format that you want.

SKA-T
07-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I just updated the spreadsheet that bgbennyboy posted for me to include the dialog lines that matches the speech sound files. Obviously I didn't test them all, but I did test a random handful and everything seems to match up. There a few that will be blank. They aren't indexed in either the speech.info file or the en.speech.info file. I've been to busy digging into the files to actually play the game so I don't know if they are used without any lines on the screen or if they aren't used at all. Anyway, that will be available whenever bgbennyboy gets my email and posts it. :)

bgbennyboy
07-19-2010, 05:32 AM
I've updated the link (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/temp/SKA-T/Monkey%202%20Mappings.zip) for SKA-T's mappings. Make sure you look inside both worksheet 1 and worksheet 2.

bgbennyboy
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I've got wavebank and adpcm support working in Monkey Island Explorer. So rather than update the music extractor the music dumper will be integrated into MI Explorer from now on.

This has a few advantages:
1 - I've got adpcm playing correctly now so there's no need for the lossy conversion to pcm wav that there is currently.
2 - I can use SKA-T's mappings to add correct/more descriptive filenames to all sounds and music.

I just need to polish and test it a bit more and should release the new version in a few days.

MusiclyInspired
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice work!

kenand
07-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Nice work!
Please update MISE explorer with translate tool function :)
There is not translate tool for version 2 yet...

Jackpumpkinhead
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
will this new version work with the speech sounds too or just the music

clone2727
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
1 - I've got adpcm playing correctly now so there's no need for the lossy conversion to pcm wav that there is currently.How is converting to PCM lossy? O_o

bgbennyboy
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
How is converting to PCM lossy? O_o

It er..isn't. My brain was fried after delving into different WAVEFORMAT structures and ADPCM coefficients :(

will this new version work with the speech sounds too or just the music

Yes it works with all audio from both games.

Its basically done now, I just need to package it up, do a readme file and make it a proper section on my site. So release will be tomorrow probably.

clone2727
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
It er..isn't. My brain was fried after delving into different WAVEFORMAT structures and ADPCM coefficients :(Haha, no problem. I've been there before too... It took a while to wrap my brain around QuickTime IMA ADPCM...

SKA-T
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes it works with all audio from both games.

Question. Will it play the xWMA files from the SFX soundbanks?

bgbennyboy
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Question. Will it play the xWMA files from the SFX soundbanks?

Yes, so long as the XWMAencode.exe tool is in the same folder as the program.

I'm just uploading the new version now and updating my site. Thanks for your mappings, they were very useful :)

bgbennyboy
07-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I've released (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/monkey-island-explorer-0-4-adds-audio-dumping-and-annotations) version 0.4 of Monkey Island Explorer.

This version includes two big features - audio playback/dumping and annotation support.

Audio dumping works for every audio file in both games. It plays back the ms-adpcm audio, the pcm audio and (if xWMAencode.exe is in the same folder) the xWMA audio. Because of this I've removed the link to my old MI Music Dumper - Monkey Island Explorer now does the job better.

Annotation support is the other handy feature. Annotations contain alternative filenames for audio that are more descriptive than those present in the original audio files. Eg the MI2 speech annotation file means that instead of a filename of “5840″ you instead see “Stan’s Kozy Krypts– A Place to Spend Eternity, Not a Fortune.”

I've used SKA-T's mappings to make annotation files for the MI2 speech and MI2 commentary, these are included with the program. Of course, I'd also like people to make annotations for the other files and to share them so that I can include them with the next release of the program.

Get it here. (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software#miexplorer)

TheJoe
07-20-2010, 08:07 PM
This fails on the original MISE wavebanks with an error code 5. But I guess MISE isn't really in the scope here.

edit:
speechfiles play, but not music.

bgbennyboy
07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
This fails on the original MISE wavebanks with an error code 5. But I guess MISE isn't really in the scope here.

Do you have xWMAencode.exe in the same folder as the readme and both my posts above say?

SKA-T
07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?

TheJoe
07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Do you have xWMAencode.exe in the same folder as the readme and both my posts above say?

Oh, er. Right. I'll do that.

bgbennyboy
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
That thing is awesome!! Good work sir. I'll probably get the rest of the files mapped to proper names here in the next few days. I'll send them along when I get them finished. One thing though, in the ambiance wavebank there are filenames in the wavebank itself and different names in the sound bank file. Just like the music new wavebank. Did you want the names from the ambiance soundbank or will the wavebank names suffice?

Whichever you think is best. By default the program will use the names in the wavebank if there are any. If a matching annotation file is found though it'll use the names from that instead.

So if the names in the wavebank are better than those in the sound bank then there's no need for the sb names and there won't need to be an annotation file made.

Jackpumpkinhead
07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
will this work with the portable versions

bgbennyboy
07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
You mean iPhone/iPad? It will open the pak files if you extract them from the ipa yes.

rbotosso
07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Dear friends, I am part of a community of translation of old games for Brazil Portuguese and I have MI2 with the Portuguese language in Brazil but I'm not able to adapt this language to MI2 SE got the script file and monkey2.000 and monkey2 .001 translated and I can not put in MI2 IF someone will help? hugs to everyone.

TheHutt
07-31-2010, 06:54 AM
I have checked out what has changed since the update of MI2.

The following files have been added:
- PatchCues.xsb
- Patch.xwb

The following files have been changed:
- MI2SE_Audio_Music.xgs
- MusicCuesNew.xsb
- MusicCuesOriginal.xsb
- Monkey2.exe

Which means:
- The resources have not been tampered with, they were overridden by Patch.xwb.
- The control of the intro behaviour seems to come from within the exe file.

Teeth
07-31-2010, 11:00 AM
So, with this new version of MISE Explorer, is it possible to replace the audio files, or can we only rip them?

bgbennyboy
07-31-2010, 05:07 PM
No, its only designed for viewing and dumping.

Jenni
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
If you want to try, I made a patch which forces the game to run always in easy mode:
Thanks for this! :D That was fun, it was actually the first time I've ever played Monkey Island 2 in easy mode. I'm surprised all the stuff for the easy mode was actually available in the special edition. :)

Det. Bullock
09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Will it be possible to reintegrate the intro in the HD version of the game?
As I understood the files are still there, can you tell at the moment if it will be possible to rearrange them to bring back the intro?

#1 GameMaster
09-26-2010, 01:31 AM
So are you guys working on a way to make a MI2 Ultimate Talkie version that works on ScummVM because I'd love to have this portable.

LogicDeLuxe
09-26-2010, 04:47 AM
So are you guys working on a way to make a MI2 Ultimate Talkie version that works on ScummVM because I'd love to have this portable.Eventually. I guess, I should start a new thread for it.

Dunstan
09-29-2010, 03:05 AM
Can somebody help me find the scripts this game uses? In Monkey2 original I could make a translation of the library catalog only by re-ordering the handler scripts (Lscr_0204, Scrp_063 and Scrp_064, I think). Is it possible, that this game uses the original's scripts? From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.:)

By the way, I described the file formats of fr.speech.info and fr.uitext.info here:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275
in case somebody would write a translator. I wrote mine, but unfortunately it's still buggy. :mad:

LogicDeLuxe
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
This game has the most confusing voice acting credits I've ever seen.
I analyzed the voice filenames, and found some which are never mentioned in the game. I sorted them so far:

- Frank, Fred and Fin are the Men of Low Moral Fiber, credited as Franklin, Freddy and Phineas in MI1SE.
- Larry, Crutch and Windy are the spitting contest audience.
- Greg is the fellow working with Rich.
- Skeleton and Moose are the party guests at the window.
- Fairy is one of the party guests to the left. The other one uses filenames with ZUL.
- Potman is one of the party guests at the table. The other one uses filenames with DUD.
- Clown is one of the party guests to the right. The other one uses filenames with PIG.
- Grillcook is the cook in Elaine's mansion.
- Sentry is Augustus DeWaat.
- Dealer is the roulette dealer.

Actually, the roulette dealer is names Fred, too. But due to a script bug, this is never revealed.
And I have no clue what ZUL and DUD might stand for. I guess, those, the pig and Guybrush's dad are the "additional voices" then.

Dunstan
10-01-2010, 07:20 AM
This game has the most confusing voice acting credits I've ever seen.

There are pecularities in the game text, too. For example there are two 22 reds and two 22 blacks on the roulette wheel on Phatt Island. :confused:

LogicDeLuxe
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
There are pecularities in the game text, too. For example there are two 22 reds and two 22 blacks on the roulette wheel on Phatt Island. :confused:I noticed those samples. Are you sure, they are actually used in game? The scripts simply pick a random number between 1 and 32.

Dunstan
10-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I noticed those samples. Are you sure, they are actually used in game? The scripts simply pick a random number between 1 and 32.

I'm just translating the game to Hungarian, and it is strange that there are two 22-s in every set of texts whether it is Guybrush 'I'd like 22 black', the dealer's '22 black it is' or Oscar's 'The winning number will be 22 black', both colors. Do the scripts pick a value between 1 and 32 or between 0 and 32? In the latter, the second 22 is used in the game.:)

Dunstan
10-03-2010, 11:20 AM
From the non-english versions, it is clear, that LucasArts couldn't create a consistent translation of the library catalog in MI2SE.:)

It's because the game uses the classic game's scripts to control the Special Edition. Since the classic game is still in the original SCUMM compressed file, and the library catalog needs a different handler script for every language, it was almost impossible for LucasArts to create a correct translation.

edbusana
10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Position of text in files and speech.info and uitext.info Hex Code:

http://i.imgur.com/7gJTks.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/7gJTk.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/Gr4t5s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/Gr4t5.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/cExdos.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/cExdo.jpg)

There translation tool that helps increase and characters?

Dunstan
10-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP :). Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.

Position of text in files and speech.info and uitext.info Hex Code:

http://i.imgur.com/7gJTks.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/7gJTk.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/Gr4t5s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/Gr4t5.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/cExdos.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/cExdo.jpg)

There translation tool that helps increase and characters?

kenand
10-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm a trouble to change Language at MISE 2 after setup.
I know the way in MISE 1
(C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\LucasArts\The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition\settings.ini)
But this way do not work with mise 2. I find ini file, but ini do not contain language section.

How Can I change language after setup (I would like to cahnge Ebglish to French for example)
I saw a pirate tool , but do not works with Steam version

LogicDeLuxe
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
With the Steam version, you can change language in the Steam GUI.

kenand
10-28-2010, 04:21 AM
With the Steam version, you can change language in the Steam GUI.

I will check it, thanks ( I bought it)

And I saw a tool in pirate version...

I saw my steam account, but did not find the way to change MISE 2 language.

Det. Bullock
10-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Right click one the game icon in the Library tab, select properties, there should be the language tab.

edbusana
10-30-2010, 02:18 PM
DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?
Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

I wrote my translation tool, but it isn't stable, and I can't give it to you, because it is in PHP :). Since nobody else could create a working translator yet, you should write yours. I made a description about the uitext.info and the speech.info formats here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748260&postcount=275 . It is quite easy to make a translator, if you know some programming language, I wrote mine (which is still buggy) in a day or so.

Character sets are in png graphics (at least for the PC edition), so you could edit them in any better graphics editor.

Teeth
10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches. :p

bgbennyboy
10-31-2010, 10:07 AM
So, if it's possible to simply extract the contents of Monkey2.pak and then delete it to make the game run the files from their respective paths, does anyone think it would be possible to make the game read the music files as wavs from a certain path rather than from the .xwb file?

I'm just really desperate to make some music patches. :p

I dont think so no. To make a music patch you need to build new XWB files. You can use the xact tool together with the project files that have been previously posted to do this.

Teeth
10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah, they were for the unpatched version and you said you'd update them. :p I also have tried countless times to make new XWB files but it always crashes. Could you please give me some instructions?

Dunstan
11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I am sorry, but my tool uses PHP language, which is a web programming language, so it needs a PHP-enabled WWW-server to work. I can't create C++ or Java, even FreePascal programs, since I don't know these languages well enough. :(

I'm afraid, I will have no time to find the bugs in it, especially since we have finished the translation. Generally it works (the translation of uitext.info was error-free, speech info uses a more complex index table), but rarely it wrongs the index table of the edited file, and these errors are hard to correct, (sometimes it is hard even to notice them, my translated speech.info looked right, but a lot of voices ceased to exist in the game). So if somebody wants it, it is 'as is' (like the half-sunken boat at Stan's in Monkey 1 :) ).

Anyway, you will need some programming experience to re-program the library's scripts which handle the card catalog, if you want an ordered catalog system in your language. It is in original LucasArts scripting language, and can be re-programmed by using some Scumm tools like ScumRev, scummrp, etc. I did it once by creating an ordered library catalog in Hungarian, and I can give more info about this if somebody is interested.

DUNSTAN, How's your translation tool? You are 100% working?
Could make available for testing, do not understand programming, and is difficult to create a tool for this purpose.

Dunstan
11-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I wonder if we could modify the starting room in the game to the dancing monkeys' room, maybe we could get the intro sequence? It would be nice to find out where is the starting room number programmed.:confused:

kenand
11-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I tried to modify MISE 2 for Iphone.

I found files with pvr extensions.

I tried powervr texture tools but did not open it. (Imagination PowerVR texture tool)

Does anybody who knows this file format?

kenand
11-20-2010, 06:24 AM
MISE 2 iphone contains pvr and png files, but PNG are apple iPad png files

There is a tool to convert them:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/f193/73733.htm

kenand
09-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I made a tool to translate Monkey Island SE 2 speech.info file.
It support speech.info only (at now ), but later I will add uitext.info
XBOX version has different coding, may be I will add later
(And If I have lot of spare time my I will add MISE 1 support, but there is a great tool for it)
http://www.mediafire.com/?gclm9nd012nkmgs

I made new version.
You may edit uitext.info also.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0610c4mi1z9bmod