PDA

View Full Version : A Whole New Item

skateordie808
08-01-2010, 05:44 AM
EDIT: I am an idiot, I posted this in modding requests, extremely sorry... Moved to Holowan -- j7

Hey all, I've recently been getting into modding Kotor mostly just changing around models and skins and fooling around, and I have a question about making a totally new item.

I've been changing around the model of a classic blaster rifle and successfully got it into the game, BUT I cant seem to get a totally new item where only that rifle is using the new model and the regular rifles are still using the original.

I messed around with the model, exported it, read and wrote it with mdlops, changed a .uti and extracted it, and renamed them all to w_blstrrfl_088 but when I place them in the override the model does not change any of the blaster rifles or the one I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rtas Vadum
08-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Well, it depends on how you name the mdl/mdx files first. It has to be identical to other filenames, though its number doesn't have to be. If the model you want is a blaster, you can set it to the "Blaster Rifle" baseitem(in the dropdown box - if it isn't already), and thus it would have to be named such as "w_blstrrfl_88.mdl/.mdx"(which you already know). You'd also need to have the "Model Variation" set to 88, just like the model files.

skateordie808
08-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Okay,

Which drop down box are you referring to?

and

Where would i set the "Model Variation" to 88

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this

Rtas Vadum
08-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Okay,

Which drop down box are you referring to?

and

Where would i set the "Model Variation" to 88

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this

You'd have to open the uti file with Kotor Tool(going to File->Open Gff files). Which opens the item editor, and there you'll find what you need to edit. Oh, and something I forgot - you also need to change both the Template ResRef and Tag boxes to what you used for the uti itself.

Also, you'll need a icon for the item. Simply name that tga "iw_blstrrfl_88". Otherwise, you'll just get a white box. Its not as needed, though it is easy to make(just taking a screenshot in your modeling program and cropping that down is fine).

DarthParametric
08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
There are some tutorials in the tutorial section that cover making UTIs for custom items.

skateordie808
08-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Ahh, I got it. I had everything right it was just changing the model variation that did the trick, it was kind of weird though it only worked when I had _088 not _88. Anyway thanks for the help!