PDA

View Full Version : Female Master Robes are too dark


redrob41
09-18-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm re-modelling the Master Robes, to get rid of the opening in the front "skirt", and instead close it up. That is working fine, but I now want to try and fix the female version, so that textures show as the same brightness levels as the male.

See, she's too dark:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3613/femalemasterrobetoodark.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/femalemasterrobetoodark.jpg/) http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7366/femalemasterrobetoodarkq.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/femalemasterrobetoodarkq.jpg/)

How would I fix that in gmax? Or would I have to do it in 3DS max? (I'll soon be getting a copy, but not yet).

redrob41
09-18-2010, 03:08 AM
well, I was searching around some more (I remembered Kreia's green tint), and stumbled upon ambient & diffuse. So I looked up my ascii.mdl file in notepad and found this:
node skin torso
parent PFBNM
position -0.00287823 0.000845194 0.0
orientation 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
wirecolor 1.0 1.0 1.0
alpha 1.0
ambient 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
diffuse 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
specular 0.0 0.0 0.0
shininess 0.0
bitmap PFBN01

I changed the ambient and diffuse to 1.0 1.0 1.0 for both. Then I compiled it with mdlops, and now it works fine. She's the same colour as the male now.

Just goes to show that a little more time with the search feature was needed :argh:

Lord of Hunger
09-18-2010, 04:58 AM
well, I was searching around some more (I remembered Kreia's green tint), and stumbled upon ambient & diffuse. So I looked up my ascii.mdl file in notepad and found this:
node skin torso
parent PFBNM
position -0.00287823 0.000845194 0.0
orientation 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
wirecolor 1.0 1.0 1.0
alpha 1.0
ambient 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
diffuse 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
specular 0.0 0.0 0.0
shininess 0.0
bitmap PFBN01

I changed the ambient and diffuse to 1.0 1.0 1.0 for both. Then I compiled it with mdlops, and now it works fine. She's the same colour as the male now.

Just goes to show that a little more time with the search feature was needed :argh:
Interesting stuff. Perhaps you should release this discovery as a tutorial? I'm sure beginning modelers would appreciate the info (I'm probably going to start learning how to model soon :D).

In any event, I love this remodel. The obvious groin piece from the base model was kind of annoying, it pretty much said "please attack me here" which is the last thing you want to have in combat.

Darth DeadMan
09-18-2010, 05:38 AM
I usually do such things directly in gMax. Just change materials' properties: type - blinn, ambient and diffuse colors to white, specular to black. That should make the job done.

redrob41
09-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I usually do such things directly in gMax. Just change materials' properties: type - blinn, ambient and diffuse colors to white, specular to black. That should make the job done.

I just started taking a 3D modelling night course (it teaches Maya), and we haven't learned yet about specific material properties. Up until my last class I wouldn't even have known what blinn was :lol:. I'll look through the gmax materials editor, and try to make sense of it. Thanks DeadMan.

I'll hold off making a tutorial until I actually know what I'm talking about :lol:

Inyri
09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Sounds like your tutorial would just consist of "open this file with notepad and change these lines" anyway. :p

VarsityPuppet
09-19-2010, 02:57 AM
well, I was searching around some more (I remembered Kreia's green tint), and stumbled upon ambient & diffuse. So I looked up my ascii.mdl file in notepad and found this:
node skin torso
parent PFBNM
position -0.00287823 0.000845194 0.0
orientation 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
wirecolor 1.0 1.0 1.0
alpha 1.0
ambient 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
diffuse 0.588235 0.588235 0.588235
specular 0.0 0.0 0.0
shininess 0.0
bitmap PFBN01

I changed the ambient and diffuse to 1.0 1.0 1.0 for both. Then I compiled it with mdlops, and now it works fine. She's the same colour as the male now.

Just goes to show that a little more time with the search feature was needed :argh:

Glad someone else besides me noticed that sickening grey tone.

If you want to get a little more advanced, it's possible to fix it with Hex editing. The upside is that you don't get any model seams. Can't think of a downside really... Well, just take a look at my Kreia Green Fix (http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/varsitypuppets-mods/50-vps-mod-page-download.html#post1747)