PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR II -- Can't install (Windows 7)

shinderhizzle84
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Hello. So I've been trying to install Kotor II for a long time now, but whenever I insert disk 1 and open up either autoplay.exe or setup.exe or whatever program I need to start up the TSL installer, I get a stupid error message that pretty much says I don't have "mss32.dll".

I know that there is a similar error message to that for Windows 7 people when KOTOR II The Sith Lords is actually INSTALLED on the computer...but what am I supposed to do if I can't even install the stupid game because of this error?? :confused:

Q
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Have you tried installing the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194324)?

shinderhizzle84
01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Have you tried installing the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194324)?

Before I try that I'm just a little confused about the directions in the 2nd post and would appreciate some clarification before I do anything to screw something up, haha. It says to do some things in, just as an example, "EDIT 2". What the hell does that mean? :P I don't see any edited posts, and when I looked on whichever step of the OP that corresponded with the edit's number, I got completely different instructions. So, for example, the first step in the 2nd post of that thread is "Direct X9.0 as mentioned in edit 2" and then it talks about a link for some sort of special version of DX that doesn't conflict with DX10.0...but the link is not there AT ALL. So before I even do this, unless I find out what EDIT #2 is, find EDIT #2 and get the correct version of DX9, I can't go through with the installation...

Thanks for the help!

Qui-Gon Glenn
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Normally, Q gives a little extra direction when pointing you at that thread - look specifically at post #2, I have linked it here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2562645&postcount=2) to view as a single post.

Follow the instructions in post #2 in order and you should be good, steps 1 - 11.

After the "****************************************" line is the original post and edits, which you can now ignore, as Q updated the steps above that portion to reflect all of the edits included.

Beyond that, try the deletion of those two logo movies I mentioned in the other thread. Only do that if, after falling Evil Q's installation guide, things are still not good.

shinderhizzle84
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Normally, Q gives a little extra direction when pointing you at that thread - look specifically at post #2, I have linked it here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2562645&postcount=2) to view as a single post.

Follow the instructions in post #2 in order and you should be good, steps 1 - 11.

After the "****************************************" line is the original post and edits, which you can now ignore, as Q updated the steps above that portion to reflect all of the edits included.

Beyond that, try the deletion of those two logo movies I mentioned in the other thread. Only do that if, after falling Evil Q's installation guide, things are still not good.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

My problems with KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 1 are two separate problems but I will gladly continue my conversation with you about KOTOR 1 in this thread.

Yeah my problem with the thread linked above is that I don't understand the directions in the 2nd post. Where is the link for the direct x? It says to follow the directions STEP BY STEP in that particular order but I can't do that because there is no link to the directx download mentioned in the first step of the above post.

NOW onto KOTOR 1. KOTOR 1 was installed fine...the game works perfectly normal in full screen...it's just in Windowed mode that it refuses to work. Do you want me to re-install my game using those instructions or something?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, nevermind about the KOTOR 2 Installation problem. I thought automatically that a link would change colors like it does on my forums, but I was wrong...it was just hidden, haha! :P

Qui-Gon Glenn
01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Windows mode has never been particularly reliable in any case.

Glad you found the link.

DirectX is a Windows product though... a google search would have sufficed.

shinderhizzle84
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Windows mode has never been particularly reliable in any case.

Glad you found the link.

DirectX is a Windows product though... a google search would have sufficed.

I realize that, but I wasn't sure which version of Directx to download. Obviously it was 9, but the way the post in that thread was structured, it made it sound like it was a special version of DX9 that I would have had to have searched extra hard for :P

shinderhizzle84
01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Okay...howabout this.

Rather than telling me how to fix my problems with KOTOR windowed mode, does anybody here at all stream the game? If someone could help me figure out a good way to stream the game, from screen capturing software to the site that they use, that would be very, very much appreciated!