PDA

View Full Version : game simply doesn't run@#@!!#@!#@!


luis
01-01-2001, 10:25 PM
I bought EMI weeeeeks ago and since then I have been fighting to pass the first scene!!!!

Symptoms
1)subtitles overlap when guybrush moves (have to wait 30' until they clear up...)

2)hangs..... e.g. when I throw the hot coal to the loaded canon, the wire burns and burns and burns forever... and sometimes the coal appears again from the bottom of the screen and flies again to the ever burning wire....

I have a voodoo 5, win2k, a pentium 3 900 Mhz.

I have installed the latest drivers from 3dfx, the drivers for the AGP for the mainboard, the patch from LucasArts....

I ran the tests in the game...

GRRR!!!!!
I just want to play!

Can anyone help me please?

I have also installed DX8.... but curiosly enough, the diagnostics always report version 7.0a....
Can it be that the game doesn't find the right DX drivers?

TIA
-luis

TunaMurray
01-01-2001, 11:51 PM
not sure but it might be Windows 2000 since it is NT baced it might have problems running it. I could be wrong maybe someone knows more about it, but I had all sorts of software conflics of other types when I used Win2000

<embed width="433" height="169" src="http://www.expressedthoughts.com/murray/murraysig.swf"></p>

crt2000
01-02-2001, 02:37 AM
What also causes game slowdown alot of times is if you have alot of stuff running in the background. Try disabling Nortons, also disable your screensaver, and any other desktop application that might cause slowdown. Try doing this if you haven't already. I found when I did this EMI ran alot faster.

Chris

luis
01-02-2001, 12:30 PM
Hi TunaMurray,
thanks for the answer. you might be right, but the damned thing is supposed to be certified to run on win2k....
thanks.
Originally posted by TunaMurray:
not sure but it might be Windows 2000 since it is NT baced it might have problems running it. I could be wrong maybe someone knows more about it, but I had all sorts of software conflics of other types when I used Win2000

<embed width="433" height="169" src="http://www.expressedthoughts.com/murray/murraysig.swf"></p>

LadyDi
01-02-2001, 01:08 PM
Try reading the posts under "Tech Help". I also was helped by reading the help at Lucasrts wet site. My game also wasn't working right even tho I downloaded drivers, patch and x8. Turned out the shortcut on the desk top was no good. When I ran the game from the Executable it worked fine. Find the directory where the game is loaded and Make sure you use the monkey4.exe (not monkey.exe) That worked for me. But I have win98 so it could be different for you.
Good Luck

luis
01-02-2001, 01:22 PM
Hey LadyDi,
thanks for the hint.
I did try to run from the executable... and still the same symptoms....it is really frustrating... I asked Lucas to give me the settings of the card when they tested the game (can be the settings.... there are hundreds of combinations...), but no luck.... they never answered.
Thanks!
-luis

Originally posted by LadyDi:

Try reading the posts under "Tech Help". I also was helped by reading the help at Lucasrts wet site. My game also wasn't working right even tho I downloaded drivers, patch and x8. Turned out the shortcut on the desk top was no good. When I ran the game from the Executable it worked fine. Find the directory where the game is loaded and Make sure you use the monkey4.exe (not monkey.exe) That worked for me. But I have win98 so it could be different for you.
Good Luck

luis
01-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Hi Crt2000,
thanks for the tip: I disabled the antivirus.... but still the same grtrrrrrrr!!!
it was a good tip though. thanks!

Originally posted by crt2000:
What also causes game slowdown alot of times is if you have alot of stuff running in the background. Try disabling Nortons, also disable your screensaver, and any other desktop application that might cause slowdown. Try doing this if you haven't already. I found when I did this EMI ran alot faster.

Chris