PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Outcast Beta

Celestial
11-25-2001, 07:37 AM
I know some people who are playing the beta, and they can't step away from it. Now I'm really looking forward to this game.

Millions o' Monkeys
11-25-2001, 07:39 AM
theres a beta out???
i never heard of anything

CaptainRAVE
11-25-2001, 07:44 AM
Its a closed beta, so only Raven people get to test it. I personally would have liked a public beta test, ah well :( .......hopefully they'll get all the bugs out.

Darth Lunatic
11-25-2001, 09:55 AM
Beta?
Oh nnooooo Beta!

They're playing thru the single player?

Are we gonna get any video footage of the game in it's current state soon?

Sarcastic Saint
11-25-2001, 10:33 AM
Now wait a minute....back up the truck....Beta??
But doesnt that normally imply that the game is at an advanced stage?? :confused: (Polishing and the like)

So perhaps the Februari release date isnt so ridiculous after all....or at least not impossible....man that would be cool.

Well just a thought. :)

Seryl Cann
11-25-2001, 11:27 AM
Beta means they have a working game. This does not mean there aren't any bugs left in it. Tracking down and fixing bux is time consuming work. Even one bug can sometimes take several weeks or even months to fix, so don't expect the game to be ready tomorrow.
Also "beta" can be a lot of things. Sometimes it means the game is finished except for a few minor things (like a couple of details in some levels or adding a couple of voices). Sometimes it means they have the engine running good enough to walk around in a level, but they haven't made all the levels yet and haven't done the voices etc. From beta to final version can take years sometimes, although I don't think (and hope) that will be the case here.

Toa Tahu
11-25-2001, 01:01 PM
Aah,crap.I thought you were going to say there was an open beta.Anyway,no game is ever going to have an open beta,and even if there is,they'll be limited to like...100 players...?They won't have so many people,simply because the beta might cost money,you know...

Agen
11-25-2001, 01:09 PM
if it's near advanced level then it's beta if it's medium level and u can do a few things then it shoudl be alpha.

CaptainRAVE
11-25-2001, 05:11 PM
Firstly, alot of games have open betas, some games have 100,000 beta testers.

Secondly, a beta test is no indication of how far along production is. Sometimes a beta can last for a month or two and then the game comes out, and sometimes it can last for about 5 months and then the game comes out. It depends how many bugs there are, and how few they want on the final version.

Celestial
11-25-2001, 06:31 PM
I was on Tribes 2 Beta, it took 6 months or more after that to release the final game.

CaptainRAVE
11-25-2001, 07:16 PM
Yea, same for fighting legends, it took all summer to beta test.

Celestial
11-25-2001, 07:30 PM
I'm hoping they release JO around March. From what I hear the beta is very solid.

Sarcastic Saint
11-26-2001, 06:28 AM
Yeah i'm with Celestial on this 1...i mean lets not forget that these guys are experts when it comes to the Q3 engine and all it "moods". :D
And basicly all Q3 engine powered games are the same (code wise i mean)....more or less.
In other words i can imagine that its indeed a pretty solid beta...hey a man can hope right?? :D

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Sarcastic ]

nykel007
11-26-2001, 09:32 AM
you know people on the bata testing, hmmmm.........

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
11-26-2001, 08:04 PM
There is no beta. There is only ZOOL.

Wacky_Baccy
11-26-2001, 08:19 PM
^
ROFL!! :D

Who's your fave Ghostbuster, and why?

Do you look anything like your (partial) namesake in Voyager: Elite Force?? ;)

W_B

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
11-26-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy:
<STRONG>^
Who's your fave Ghostbuster, and why?
</STRONG>

Rick Moranis, just because.

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy:
<STRONG>Do you look anything like your (partial) namesake in Voyager: Elite Force??</STRONG>

The texture was based on my face, sans moustache, but the facial/head/hair structure was more caucasian in shape so it ended up looking more like Keanu Reeves than me.

Agen
11-26-2001, 08:41 PM
THis guy knows his stuff..... nice moustache

SlowbieOne
11-26-2001, 08:59 PM
It seems the infamous lone Raven/LEC poster, ChangKhan is back in all his glory.

It's good to see someone cares. :)

We need you around here more often ChangKhan(when time allows you of course), keep up the good work, and MTFBWY. :)

Agen
11-26-2001, 09:14 PM
Yeh otherwise we'll kidnap you!
Deal?

Darth Simpson
11-26-2001, 09:17 PM
ChangKhan[RAVEN] : Lead Gameplay Programmer

Now this is the man!

;)

Agen
11-26-2001, 09:22 PM
this
indeedy do dahby damn dany indeedy.
Questions?

X-Vector
11-26-2001, 09:23 PM
Hey Mike, long time no see (about a year I guess - you probably don't remember).
Pour MRJ another Scotch and tell him to leave the Trek kids alone and hang out here once in a while, OK?

TrUeFoRcE
11-27-2001, 12:23 AM
a beta would be great, but i could deal with some new updates,like tons more screens and movie clips to keep us all even more interested, also to let us get an idea of how great the game is gonna be....

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: TrUeFoRcE ]

matt--
11-27-2001, 12:31 AM
WOW. Good to see a dev post!
Don't be a stranger! :)

Obi Kwan
11-27-2001, 01:03 AM
I wonder if we come up with some more crazy rumors like "there is a beta version" then we could see some more developer posts... [coughs and changes to an overly suspicious voice] "Yeah so guys, I heard there is going to be playable Gonk droid skin in multiplayer with 'JediKnightII.net' written on the back..."

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Kwan ]

Omedarcus
11-27-2001, 01:06 AM
OMG it's the one and only Cosmos! :eek:. I was worried that the Raven guys wouldn't come here, but I feel much better now :D

$10BOOMBOOM
11-27-2001, 03:51 PM
wow! a dev!
or is he? ;) only joking

Indeed, I always thought our efforts to get what we want were invane, where the devs never knew. But now I feel we could get what we want, or atleast feel our voicing of our views is being heard. Just give me a good reason when u tell me when to go away. :D

Myxale
11-27-2001, 04:31 PM
A Beta....!!! Ohh ( sigh )
:rolleyes:

But i would like to see more Pics and kind stuff. Then a half-baked beta!!

Like the pal above me.... :)
I'll wait...;Ti seems like there are alot of Days till the relase...but this game is
(i hope so ) worth it!!!
:p

ReAcToR
11-27-2001, 05:03 PM
Send me the beta, I'm the m0f0 that found glitches that LEC never dreamed of. ;)

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
11-27-2001, 08:27 PM
We definitely read the board whenever we can, we just don't often have time to actually post anything. Especially lately, only a few short months left...

StormHammer
11-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Good to hear, ChangKhan. ;)

Kwup
11-27-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]:
<STRONG>We definitely read the board whenever we can, we just don't often have time to actually post anything. Especially lately, only a few short months left...</STRONG>

ok, lets break this baby down

Few: adjective pron
not very many people or things, but more than two, and sometimes more than might be expected

Short: adjective
not long: having little or relatively little length, or extending only a small distance

Months: plural noun
long period of time: a long time, often an
excessively or unacceptably long time

these are real definitions from dictionary.msn.com

hmm....

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: RaoK ]

Celestial
11-27-2001, 08:44 PM
Well thats good to know. I'm hoping for a March 2002 release.

Agen
11-27-2001, 08:46 PM
dictionary.msn.com

Great evil i sense in that words

Kwup
11-27-2001, 08:48 PM
for somereason www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) wasn't working :p

Omedarcus
11-27-2001, 11:37 PM
Hey devs since you're here, I got some really specific questions, mostly 3rd person related :)

The other night in the chat somebody asked about Jedi Knight II's 3rd person compared to Heretic II's. The response was yes, but we got no real details since a lot of people here don't seem so thrilled with 3rd person. Seems like most people want to stick with 1st
unfortunately. Now me on the other hand, I prefer 3rd person, especially with sword fighting games. I've been a Raven fan since Hexen II, but Heretic II blew me away.
Heretic II remains to be one of my 3 favorite video games ever, the other 2 being Elite
Force & Diablo II. I want to know specifics about Jedi Knight II; I want to know how
similar Jedi Knight II will be to Heretic II, in relation to movement, controls, configuration, options, etc.
Will Jedi Knight II be the closest thing we'll get to a Heretic III?

I'm all psyched about Jedi Knight II because Heretic II blading was very popular & fun, so
now with Jedi Knight II a 3rd person Star Wars lightsaber fighting game made by Raven, I want to know how Raven plans on implementing 3rd person.
I'm so glad Lucasarts asked Raven to do the sequel, especially with the Quake 3 engine since you guys kick ass at making awesome games.
Speaking of the Quake 3 engine, is Jedi Knight II's 3rd person is just going to be the chasecam "cg_thirdperson 1" command from Quake 3 & Elite Force or will it be a whole
new implementation like Heretic II was for the Quake 2 engine?
That leads me to back to my previous question, will Jedi Knight II feel & be controlled like Heretic II. Will the movement feel like Heretic II? Will JK2 even let players climb onto ledges? Will there also be 3rd person camera options like camera stiffness and how far away the camera is from the player? Also will there be a lookaround command that lets us hold the tab key, move the mouse around to move the camera around the player, instead of using some config file to use the numberpad like we have in Elite Force. Basically what it boils down to, is Jedi Knight II going to be a "Quake 3 Heretic II meets Star Wars" when using the lightsaber and all weapons in 3rd person. I'm sure I speak for the many Heretic II fans that hope there will be a huge similarity between the two games.

Also I read that the lightsaber will be more important in the whole game, does that mean
we can get away with using just the lightsaber throughout single player? After playing the Jedi Knight 1 demo with Lucasarts' engine, the lightsaber wasn't great when surrounded by lots of enemies

I'm not saying "Please make the game so it pleases the 100+ people leftover from Heretic
II", but I'm just curious. :)

Also how will single player be compared to Elite Force? Length of game? Size of the
levels?

DeathBoLT
11-28-2001, 12:14 AM
Seems like most people want to stick with 1st
Thats not true.. most people played JK sabers in 3rd person and I would bet that most people play sabers on 3rd person in JK2 :)

from 11.20.02 LEC chat transcript: Jedi Outcast: The optimal view for lightsaber combat is 3rd person, weapons are probably best used in 1st person.

I want to know specifics about Jedi Knight II; I want to know how
similar Jedi Knight II will be to Heretic II, in relation to movement, controls, configuration, options, etc.
Will Jedi Knight II be the closest thing we'll get to a Heretic III?

from 11.20.02 LEC chat transcript: Jedi Outcast: It will be similar, but the main focus of Jedi Outcast is 1st person, whereas Heretic 2 was 3rd person. The player will be able to use the lightsaber in either 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Speaking of the Quake 3 engine, is Jedi Knight II's 3rd person is just going to be the chasecam "cg_thirdperson 1" command from Quake 3 & Elite Force or will it be a whole
new implementation like Heretic II was for the Quake 2 engine?
Your question can be answered Here (http://jediknightii.net/faq.shtml#cat2_0)

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
11-28-2001, 02:23 AM
Having worked on Heretic II and Elite Force, I would characterize the third person camera as mostly like Heretic II, the player control/freedom much like Heretic II, but not with all the features of Heretic II (that was a 3rd person-only game and you could get away with things that you cannot in first person), the weapon control/variety is greater than Heretic II... plus, like the original JK, you have your choice of 1st or 3rd person. That's about all I can say (actually, that's probably more than I can say).

SlowbieOne
11-28-2001, 02:39 AM
Everybody ChangKhan tonight! :)

but not with all the features of Heretic II (that was a 3rd person-only game and you could get away with things that you cannot in first person),

What kind of things are you referring to?

Answer if you please, or don't if you can't. :D

StephenG
11-28-2001, 02:46 AM
look, a Raven guy was here ^^. stay for abit and maybe reply to some more topics eh?

GonkH8er
11-28-2001, 04:31 AM
Few short months........ hence, as I said....... Q1 2002

Good to hear that there's been no delays so far. Let's hope the trend continues.

acdcfanbill
11-28-2001, 05:05 AM
get away with thing... prob less gun models, only one camera... things like that i would suppose...

Millions o' Monkeys
11-28-2001, 08:51 AM
Few short months........ hence, as I said....... Q1 2002

im happy with that.
Good to see ya here ChangKahn
oh yeah invite your other dev buddies to come here once in a while :)

CaptainRAVE
11-28-2001, 10:03 AM
Yea, its nice to see some developers taking the time to come and talk to us........even though im sure their extremly busy at the moment. Im just glad there have been no delays :)

nykel007
11-28-2001, 10:25 AM
Nice, very nice. He didn't answer the question on the saber. I hoping we be able to go though levels with it alone. I don't like guns that much. :)

Omedarcus
11-28-2001, 02:33 PM
Woohoo! http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/blobs/boldblue.gif Thanks for the info :). I definately can't wait for the game to come out now :D

Agen
11-28-2001, 04:06 PM
Everybody ChangKhan tonight!
Ur a cannibal then?
Good to see that 1 raven developer cares abotu us.
Good to hear that there's not been any delays.
That deosn't mean this is gonna be a rushed game does it? (hope that's not insulting or silly but i have my worries)

CaptainRAVE
11-28-2001, 04:13 PM
Uh......it quite simply means that there havent been any delays....what else could it mean :rolleyes:

SlowbieOne
11-28-2001, 04:33 PM
Ur a cannibal then?

LOL, I think you mean Genghis Khan.

wardz
11-28-2001, 05:13 PM
Good to see that 1 raven developer cares abotu us.

they all care, but this is not some free for all. If they had permission to give us info they prolly would, but they can't.

wardz

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
11-28-2001, 05:20 PM
I'm sure other developers would post here, too, if they felt we had anything we could definitely tell you... as a general rule, it's kind of a good idea not to say too much too soon about a game because things change... and there are other PR and marketing concerns.

I don't think the game will be rushed. We're working really hard, but the game is very solid and has plenty of features right now.

As for the lightsaber, I, myself, tend to favor using just the lightsaber and force powers, so I guess it's technically possible to play the game with just that, but might be a bit difficult.

As for what you can't do- one example is climbing ledges. Looks cool in third person, but would be totally freaky in 3rd. Besides, with force-jump, who needs to climb ledges? :)

CaptainRAVE
11-28-2001, 05:30 PM
That is a very good point. Actually that post was more interesting than any of the previews we've had on JK2 so far :)

nykel007
11-28-2001, 05:58 PM
I noticed in on of the screens an open box, does this mean we'll be able to search in cupbords and draws like in tombraider5. Or was it just a slash with the saber.

Celestial
11-28-2001, 06:51 PM
Jedi Knight was a good game however lacked a ton of competitive community features.

I hope to see a change in Jedi Outcast of the following;

1) Dedicated servers (ZONE IS A JOKE)
2) A built in server list (SEE CS/TRIBES and a ton of other great games for info)
3) A sponsored ladder dedicated to Jedi Outcast only (www.teamwarfare.com started out like that for tribes and still remains the top ladder of that game)

That's all..for now.

Thanks.

DeathBoLT
11-28-2001, 07:08 PM
im looking foward to that upcoming video showing off jk2.. im curious to see how Raven has improved upon how Jk's lightsaber movements and attacks, and how the force powers will turn out..

i especially want to see how grip and lighting are being handled, and what counters to them there'll be. :)

X-Vector
11-28-2001, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]:
<STRONG>I don't think the game will be rushed. We're working really hard, but the game is very solid and has plenty of features right now.
</STRONG>

The question is, will Jedi Outcast turn out to be something special or is it just another project on the roster?
This is what a collegue of yours (clem) posted in the SoF 2 forum about a week ago:

In any case, there is one main reason that Raven doesn't put more into a project after it is finished and that is ... marketing. Activision has a market plan for every project and in most cases a game needs to get out on time because of this. Usually this market plan does not allotted enough time and so we have to bust our asses to get it done on time. There is a lot to lose if the games are not finished on time.

For example if we were to miss the finish date for Jedi Knight we could lose millions (in marketing alone) and this isn't including the fact that if one project slips, others slip. It is hard to assign someone to a project that is finished when there are other projects that really need people to make their deadlines.

The thread in question can be found here (http://www2.ravensoft.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000431-2.html).

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but reading that just fuels my doubts concerning JKO.

StormHammer
11-28-2001, 07:20 PM
ChangKhan...thanks for all the information. We all really appreciate it. Good to hear about a few similarities with Heretic II, and a chance to complete the game using saber and Force. ;) I'm sure we'll all try it at least once.

Nice to hear it's solid and on track.

If it's possible to answer, do you think the game will be released simultaneously in the U.S. and abroad (such as Europe, Australia etc.)?

Keep up the great work. :cool:

Agen
11-28-2001, 08:11 PM
Ur great ChangKhan.
I didn't mean to use as ahrd words as i did but i was going out so i jsut rushed the messagee.
I didn't mean that no ne cared what i meant was that at least 1 raven member is taking care of our questions and rumours.
Just 2 questions. (they're not really gonan give away much. but see in that screen shot where there is paltforms and kyle is looking up with the saber. is that a jumping puzzle or not.
And is it gonig to be a world-wide release. And if it's not can u pleeease beg to get it to be. (i'll beg for u) or do u not have any control over the release is it activision and lec who control all this?

nykel007
11-29-2001, 08:51 AM
What video is DeathBoLT talking about? :eek:

Outlaw
11-29-2001, 11:37 AM
There is a chat transcript at the Lucas Arts web site. I think the first few lines of the chat stated that JK2 was nearing completion, so you never know. Personaly I think JK2 was in development far longer than we were told. I remember well over a year ago rumers were going around the web that another JK shooter for the PC was being developed along with Obi-Wan.

StephenG
11-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw:
<STRONG> I remember well over a year ago rumers were going around the web that another JK shooter for the PC was being developed along with Obi-Wan.</STRONG>

rumers, i never heard any rumers about a year ago but then again i didn't have the internet a year ago.

StephenG
11-29-2001, 12:33 PM
dont mean to spam but one of the magazines in Australia (where i live) known as PC PowerPlay will have

"JEDI OUTCAST
We takean exclusive first look at this lightsaber-tastic new adventure"

end Quote

In next month issue. Might have some new news maybe...or not?

Myxale
11-29-2001, 12:37 PM
The Game will come soon...i've just day-dream-in about it.... :)

But a question beside this all:....how many of the Raven Games were MOD-able..ya know what i mean... ;)

I think the most of them were it....so i still belive that they will not made different to our most wanted JKO....

Just Look what the MOD-ders have done to the JK1...its amazing...Glowing Sabers Staffs alot of Maps...Skins...and a tuned Engine....the game is still alive and kickin....

To Santa Claus....:
Dear Santa..please i WANT the game...
and I would like to see Staffs in JKO...if possible.

Your biggest Fan... Myxale
:D

Agen
11-29-2001, 02:56 PM
I heard a rumour about jk2 after obi-wan was announced... have u been lying to us?
February doesn't seem too stupid to me now.

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Agen_Terminator ]

CaptainRAVE
11-29-2001, 04:17 PM
Often when a game has been announced it has been worked on prior to the announcment for about a year.

StormHammer
11-29-2001, 06:16 PM
Yeah, Rave, you could be right...

I think LEC started looking seriously at a sequel to JK when people started having reservations about Obi-Wan on the PC. There were a lot of discussions about a sequel to JK on OWK.Net around the same period - way before the announcement that Obi-Wan would be X-Box only.

They could have entered into discussions with Raven late 2000, but according to that video interview at E3, the guy from LEC states clearly the project was green-lighted in February. So the guys at Raven probably started actually making the game then. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Maybe our friendly neighbourhood Raven-Dev could clarify the point. ;)

Agen
11-29-2001, 07:05 PM
Don't post look at the amount of posts u've made.
LOL.
And raven did youis have a little bit of a head start when u knew raven were planning to get yous?

StormHammer
11-29-2001, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Terminator...I noticed. :eek:

The number of the Beast...

What's really scary is this...

26-6-67

My birthdate...with three 6's in the middle. That reminds me, I need to get my horns filed. :D

Agen
11-29-2001, 08:37 PM
Wow... that's pretty freaky.my friend was born on the 6-6-69.... well i'm ok
4-3-86.
anyway our little friend "ChangKhan" has disappeared.

EDIT: sot of a friend of a friend

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Agen_Terminator ]

DeathBoLT
11-29-2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by nykel:
<STRONG>What video is DeathBoLT talking about? :eek:</STRONG>

The one aristotle (http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000727&p=1) is talking about:
Full "in-game" high res vid of JKII in action is already a done deal... so don't waste your request on that one...