PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another PATCH COMMANDER?

Juubarf
07-20-2001, 07:33 PM
As a frequent user of Patch Commander, I can't help but wonder if there will be another editors tool as versatile as it. I mean, I cant count how many editors at websites likeThe Massassi Temple (http://www.massassi.net) that have been greatful for it's creation.

Wilhuf
07-20-2001, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone developed a mod launcher similar to Patch Commander for Jedi Outcast.

Launching a game with a mod is pretty easy in Q3. Just type quake3 +game gamename

Or you can store the command to a shortcut. Very easy to do. All you have to do is click the menu item and Q3 launches, automatically running your mod.

Of course a mod launcher would automate the setup.

Actually quake3 has a 'game' button you can press in-game that automatically loads the mod. Nothin' to it.

I would expect Jedi Outcast to support mods as well, but since we haven't heard official word, noone but Raven and LEC know for certain, yet.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

acdcfanbill
07-21-2001, 12:28 AM
there would be nothing to gain be not supporting them. in fact, non-support would probably be counter-productive, seeings as the one thing that gave JK its lasting effect were mods, and the like.

Dethlord
07-21-2001, 02:12 AM
Well, if you want to load a mod in UT, you select it from a pull-down menu. They might do something similarly simple for JK2, and if they don't, someone or other'll make a mod launcher type program. It won't be the same person who made it for JK, though.

CaptainRAVE
07-21-2001, 09:04 AM
Raven usually include an option to install mods via a game menu. I remember they did it in STVEF.

Mike
07-22-2001, 12:23 AM
I agree a little with acdcfanbill. Mods, levels, skins, textures, weapons and the like, made JK what it is today sort of (I know because, well, I have been around here since the begining. Under different internet names of course :) ). And that's what might have been holding it's community together too. But also the clans of JK have been holding it together. I've seen many games on the Zone (http://www.zone.com) without using mods, just normal games! Anyway, LEC and Raven, I hope, will make an easy to use interface (in-game) to activate mods, ect. and be able to read the .**whatever files that will be included with their editor (If there is an editor). Hope LEC and Raven are really listening to these forums and websites!

-Mike "sketch"

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: sketch ]

Kurgan
07-22-2001, 05:51 AM
Speaking of which, UWindows, for UT was a great idea, it works very well and it's a familiar setup.

Kurgan