PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber combat

Toa Tahu
12-04-2001, 01:32 AM
how is the third-person crosshair going to work with the lightsaber?Is it going to be slash,stab,etc.?

Khan Aidan Hall
12-04-2001, 01:55 AM
Well I'm not exactly an expert on Jedi Outcast, but I would think you would point your reticle on the target and press fire...

Sarcastic Saint
12-04-2001, 02:28 AM
Well what you do is....you throw your lightsaber in to the sky (activated ofcourse) and then you try to catch it without using the force....if you succeed then the other guy has to try.... :angel:

Toa Tahu
12-04-2001, 02:45 AM
Huh?What do you mean throw,and catch,and etc.?
:slsaber:

Nemios
12-04-2001, 04:20 AM
LOL!

Emon1
12-04-2001, 05:22 PM
OMG!! Haven't you read AT ALL?? YOU CAN PLAY ANY PART OF THE GAME WITH ANY WEAPON IN EITHER 1ST OR 3RD PERSON VIEW WITH OR WITHOUT THE CROSSHAIR!

FOR !@#$'s sake, how many times do I have to explain this?!?!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

digl
12-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Is it me or this thread doesnt make much sense?:confused:

Agen
12-04-2001, 06:15 PM
And if u cheat by having ur lightsaber activated while throwing it u go down a rank!
*throws lgihtsaber unactivated* Yahoo!

ed_silvergun
12-04-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Emon1
FOR !@#$'s sake, how many times do I have to explain this?!?!

Well, given that you've only got 10 posts, I'm guessing somewhere between one and ten times.

But I have been known to make mistakes. From time to time...

StormHammer
12-04-2001, 10:41 PM
Okay...who spattered this place with sarcasm, it's dripping all over me. ;)

Toa Tahu, Khan Aidan Hall answered your question. The truth is that no one currently knows the exact details of lightsaber moves that will be available in the game, but it is probably safe to assume that the 3rd person crosshair will enable you to aim at specific targets, such as an arm, leg or head of your opponent while duelling. ;)

If you are really new to the principles of Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Knight, might I suggest reading up on Jedi Knight, in addition to Jedi Outcast?

Emon1
12-04-2001, 11:11 PM
Well, I would have more posts, but I had to re-register, since my account was messed up... been meaning to get that fixed. I've also explained it tons of times over at the Massassi forums (forums.massassi.net) where I have hundreds and hundreds of posts.

Toa Tahu
12-05-2001, 12:25 AM
OK,I screwed up.Sorry.I asked you guys the wrong question.What I meant to say,is,how are you supposed to attack,when you do what Khan Aidan Hall said?I mean,there's so many types of attack to be done with the lightsaber,like stab,slice,slash,etc.Sorry,everyone. :blushlaugh: :slsaber:

StormHammer
12-05-2001, 05:51 PM
Attacking with the lightsaber will probably be based on movement, as it was in Jedi Knight. You move forward and press your fire button and you get one swing, you move right and attack, you get another, and so on. It's straightforward and intuitive, so it's easy to pick up if you've not done it before.

The skill lies in judging where your opponent will strike, and aiming at that point to block...then finding an opening, aiming at that point and attacking.

I'm sure with lots of practice you'll get good at it, so don't worry about it. Again, I would recommend picking up a copy of Jedi Knight (while it's still on budget release) to practice with before Outcast arrives. ;)

madrebel
12-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Attacking with the lightsaber will probably be based on movement, as it was in Jedi Knight. You move forward and press your fire button and you get one swing, you move right and attack, you get another, and so on. It's straightforward and intuitive, so it's easy to pick up if you've not done it before.

The skill lies in judging where your opponent will strike, and aiming at that point to block...then finding an opening, aiming at that point and attacking.

I'm sure with lots of practice you'll get good at it, so don't worry about it. Again, I would recommend picking up a copy of Jedi Knight (while it's still on budget release) to practice with before Outcast arrives. ;)

that may hurt you more than help you. JK netcode and Q3 netcode will make saber dueling feel completely different

StormHammer
12-05-2001, 07:04 PM
Yes, online play will be different...but I was talking in more general terms.

I get the impression Toa Tahu hasn't played a game like this before...or have you? :confused:

madrebel
12-05-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Yes, online play will be different...but I was talking in more general terms.

I get the impression Toa Tahu hasn't played a game like this before...or have you? :confused:

well yeah i suppose. but who cares about single player :) its jedi knight man.....single player will be good by default

:fett:

Millions o' Monkeys
12-05-2001, 08:40 PM
of course online play will be different...we wont be getting pingas of 300 or above :)

madrebel
12-05-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Millions o' Monkeys
of course online play will be different...we wont be getting pingas of 300 or above :)

mmmmm oc3 dedicated saber duels mmmmmm

i for one will host at least 2 server from work. as long as there is a linux dedicated server that is.

:fett:

GonkH8er
12-06-2001, 08:50 AM
Yes, well, when I finally get cable in a few weeks, online gaming will change, as I know it. The days of 300+ pings are over for me........ almost. Time to start practicing JK LAN :)

ed_silvergun
12-06-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Emon1
Well, I would have more posts, but I had to re-register, since my account was messed up... been meaning to get that fixed. I've also explained it tons of times over at the Massassi forums (forums.massassi.net) where I have hundreds and hundreds of posts.

As I said, I have been known to make mistakes from time to time. :D

I had the same trouble with my account... just let the admin know, they were very helpful with mine and got the problem fixed right away.

I should also have hundreds and hundreds of posts. Unfortunately, every time I rack up a decent post count on a particular forum, LEC cancel the game and I have to start all over again. :rolleyes:

Toa Tahu
12-07-2001, 01:21 AM
StormHammer's right.I've only played CS,not MOTS,or DF2,or DF.Anyway,I seem quite convinced that third person is good,but I still don't get how can you attack an enemy with your lightsaber,like when you block,what is Kyle's action?
:slsaber:

SlowbieOne
12-07-2001, 06:36 PM
For those of you who don't know, there is a mod for Unreal Tournament called U4E, or Unreal 4 Ever.

This mod is absolutely amazing. I haven't played it in a while, so my buddy and I dug it out and fired it up. I forgot how incredible it is!:D

First of all, there are about 30-40 new weapons, plus the normal 10. That's right, 50 weapons! I can honestly say that all the new weapons are VERY different and legitimate Matches can get pretty hectic.

There are a bunch of melee weapons added, such as a pitchfork, saw, katana, and a Lightsaber thingy. Well it's not a lightsaber, but it's no doubt inspired by it. It even says the force is with you when you pick it up!:)

If the way the Lightsaber thing and the Katana work are in any way similar to the way the Saber in JK2 will work, you people who like to duel in First Person mode will not be disappointed. True, both of these weapons only have about 2 different swings, and they can't clash. However, the way it flows and controls is absolutely flawless. The lightsaber thing even deflects bullets back at people, and it works seamlessly.

I almost felt like I was playing JK2.....welll, maybe not.:D

If any of you out there have Unreal Tournament, and you have never tried this mod, do yourselves a favor and dont pass it up.

Some of the most fun Ive had in awhile playing a game.:D

SSH83
12-08-2001, 12:59 AM
heh, actually, I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done this to do it ASAP: DOWNLOAD THE E3 GAMEPLAY MOVIE FOR JK-OUTCAST. I'm sorry i had to scream, but there was no better way to show my feelings about this. It can be found here:
http://www.jediknightii.net/downloads.shtml

Not seeing this as a JK fan is like never seen any of the Star Wars Ep. II trailer as a Star Wars fan. So, GO DOWNLOAD IT NOW! If not already.

Toa Tahu
12-08-2001, 02:06 AM
I went to that site,and even to see a wallpaper it had to download!Anyway,Jedi Knight will not fail to deliver.I'm convinced that Jedi Knight 2 will be a great game.
But I still don't get how you can see more enemies with 3rd person,and how kyle can attack.

Tap[RR]
12-08-2001, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by SSH83
heh, actually, I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done this to do it ASAP: DOWNLOAD THE E3 GAMEPLAY MOVIE FOR JK-OUTCAST. I'm sorry i had to scream, but there was no better way to show my feelings about this. It can be found here:
http://www.jediknightii.net/downloads.shtml

Not seeing this as a JK fan is like never seen any of the Star Wars Ep. II trailer as a Star Wars fan. So, GO DOWNLOAD IT NOW! If not already.

Thats old news, buddy... **cough** welcome to the boards ** cough** :rolleyes:

[eVe]DeathBoLT
12-08-2001, 03:46 AM
i certainly hope JK2 doesn't handle like UT does...

the UT engine's great for guns, but to be frank, I was rather disapointed with Rune...

:\

Lord_FinnSon
12-08-2001, 08:12 AM
Actually, I have to disagree. I did like Rune and especially its melee combat system which was simple and yet fluid enough. That is something that I would like see in JK2 and I bet it will be even better with those motion captured animations... :D Speaking of lightsaber combat, I recommend that you all check this site (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm), if it's not already familiar to you(especially you developers, when you are finetuning lightsaber moves). It analyzes different fighting stances, footwork, en-guarde positions and basic strikes found from the movies; most of the text seems to be written before premier of TPM, so they used its trailers and tv -spots as reference when examining fighting styles of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul. Very interesting and informative, especially if you are into Kendo. :lsduel:

[eVe]DeathBoLT
12-09-2001, 09:49 AM
it was a okay melee system but i hated how movement felt :\

i felt like i was playing while practically being glued to a brick wall..

Toa Tahu
12-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon
this site (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm)

I only knew the lightsabres as Star Wars camera-tricks,I didn't knew the lgitsabres were true real-life weapons!
:slsaber: :saberg: :duel:
P.S.:How do I put a picture as my signature?

wardz
12-09-2001, 10:20 AM
I am in a bit of a rush now. do a search of the forum as we have said how many times.

Also, make sure the picture isn't too big as you shall incur the wrath of the mods.

hope this helps.

wardz

Agen
12-09-2001, 10:42 AM
I only knew the lightsabres as Star Wars camera-tricks,I didn't knew the lgitsabres were true real-life weapons!
They're not... the warning on the site is just a laugh. Also i think that stuff is just theories not really real. Unless i'm mistaking if it was true someone would have built a lgihtsabre.

Tay-Mar
12-09-2001, 11:13 AM
Real Lightsabers.........rofl

Third person dueling, i have been lead to understand that this will be more like the way u remove limbs in Soldier of Fortune, never having played it, i couldn't say.

I just wonder how many ppl will use 3rd person view for multi-player and will it have any advantage over 1st person view. As for the whole dueling thing, i hope it works the same way as JK and MOTS.

/me rushes out to buy a copy of Quake III team arena, just to see what the engine is like:D

Agen
12-09-2001, 11:23 AM
I was considering going out and getting it but instead i got avp2... gg it is.

digl
12-09-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Tay-Mar
I just wonder how many ppl will use 3rd person view for multi-player and will it have any advantage over 1st person view. As for the whole dueling thing, i hope it works the same way as JK and MOTS.

In 3rd person you can view around corners and things like that, and now there will be an aiming reticle while in 3rd person (not made with the automap ;))

For most people Its also easier to play sabers in 3rd person, while others play in 1st person because they feel more inmersed

Frosty_V2.1
12-09-2001, 10:15 PM
Toa Tahu, since u haven't experienced the true power of Jedi Knight I recommened u go buy it NOW!
It is at classic/budget status and where I am u get a free game from that range as well which includes such games as System Shock2, one of the Monkey Island games, force commander and others(I think it's those games).
Anyways it's cheap an excellent game and will answer some of ur previous questions, and u get the Buy 1 Get 1 free deal(though I think u have to pay for delivery of free game, and may not have that deal where u are).

SSH83
12-10-2001, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Tap[RR]

Thats old news, buddy... **cough** welcome to the boards ** cough** :rolleyes:

Dude, i think u need more sleep time/ week.
I know that's old news, and since you already knew, then the message was appearently not meant for you. :rolleyes:

It's for new comers, like Tao, or whoever somehow missed it. Duh?

Tap[RR]
12-11-2001, 05:56 AM
but..... your still new to the forums, and i assumed that you just discovered that, and the way you used all caps, it only led me to believe you discovered the vid for the first time, also you registering in november makes my welcome bit, perfectly valid.........:p

Toa Tahu
12-12-2001, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by SSH83
It's for new comers, like Tao, or whoever somehow missed it. Duh?

Tao?I'm not Beastmaster's helper,Tao,I'm Toa Tahu,the Great Warrior of Fire. :rolleyes: j/k

Anyway,how much is JK?And do I buy JK,MOTS,DF,DF2,or what?And I don't really come to a lot of awards from parents,and I've already got it booked with JK2.So how do I get JK?