PDA

View Full Version : King of Turrets I Demo Discussion

Vampire Slayer
12-09-2001, 04:51 PM
This thread is to discuss my SCN Punk multiplayer scenario King of Turrets I Demo. Post any comments or questions you have here. You can download the demo here (http://swgb.heavengames.com/downloads/php/descpage.php?type=Multi&id=4).

So, how many of you played KOT for SWGB? AoK?

Did you enjoy it?

What score would you give it out of 5?

Why don't you play it at the Zone!?!? :p

ALTUS_Fett
12-10-2001, 02:30 PM
This is a very good game so far! Good work.

Heavyarms
12-10-2001, 03:35 PM
To tell you the truth, TVS, I was never a fan of King of Towers. I just thought it was dumb, just going on forever, and having hordes of men just run up and kill each other. Now that I've sadi that, everyone from GBH will swoop on me and flame me for saying my serious opinion.

Vampire Slayer
12-10-2001, 08:16 PM
Its not exactly the same as KOT from AoK, I improved it drastically and its much, much more strategic. King of Turrets is by far better than KOT X for AoK. Plus its more accurately balanced between the units you choose as to how long it takes to produce them. But if you didn't like it just because it keeps producing massive units, then I don't see how you would like any blood scenario.

Here's the features if you haven't seen it before...

- 23 different units to choose from.
- Produces units that belong to the CIV the player chooses.
- Choice of 2 different heros for each CIV.
- 2 Droids to produce double units to make combo counter units.
- Upgrade system by owning the Monument in the center.
- Explosive cutscene of the Turrets area when the player's Generator is destroyed.
- Counter Chart in the Intellegence section.
- Story that takes place in Star Wars: Episode 7!

BTW, if you don't care for it, why are you even posting here?
Damn Moron!

Heavyarms
12-13-2001, 06:45 AM
Hey you wanted opinion, right? I gave you some. YOu just can't have all positive feedback and none negative.

duder
12-13-2001, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by WC_heavyarms
To tell you the truth, TVS, I was never a fan of King of Towers. I just thought it was dumb, just going on forever, and having hordes of men just run up and kill each other. Now that I've sadi that, everyone from GBH will swoop on me and flame me for saying my serious opinion.

for the first time ever i agree with wc heavyarms......i thought that KOT was a waste of time. But the improvements seem to be very relavent and i hope to check it out soon!

and if you ask for a score out of 5 you have to expect some people will not like it!!!

Vampire Slayer
12-13-2001, 07:34 PM
WC, you don't have to be such an ass about it. Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."? You could have just replied...

Q) So, how many of you played KOT for SWGB? AoK?
A) I played it for AoK.

Q) Did you enjoy it?
A) For the AoK version, not really.

Q) What score would you give it out of 5?
A) (Whatever you think)

Q) Why don't you play it at the Zone!?!? (Refering to King of Turrets)
A) Cause I haven't tried it yet.

dudder, WC obviously never played the "King of Turrets Demo" and that's what I want feedback on. He's just comming in here saying KOT sucks for AoK and acting like a moron. Keep in mind I made King of Towers X a year ago and my skills have improved alot since then and that's why I'm in SCN Punk. ;)

BTW, if everyone else in SW Punk likes it, would you still think it would be that bad? Personally, if I compared it to KOT for AoK, I think King of Turrets is 3 times as fun.

darthfergie
12-13-2001, 07:43 PM
Are you saying you made a small mod level for GB???

(I never played KoT for AoK)

Vampire Slayer
12-13-2001, 07:47 PM
Are you saying you made a small mod level for GB???

Huh? What do you mean "small mod level"?

darthfergie
12-13-2001, 08:00 PM
- 23 different units to choose from

Are they NEW units?

How do you "choose" them? (if possible tell me some triggers)

- Choice of 2 different heros for each CIV.

Once again...how do you choose???

- Explosive cutscene of the Turrets area when the player's Generator is destroyed.

There is a TRIGGER for cutscenes??? I havn't seen it yet...(I may not be looking all that hard for it)

Vampire Slayer
12-13-2001, 08:04 PM
Ohh, there are 23 turrets and each of them produces a different unit that you can choose from by garrisoning in the turrets. ie: Fighter, Bomber, Trooper, Mounted Trooper, Mech Destroyer, Dark Trooper, ect... I didn't make a modpack if that's what you thought. Why don't you just read the description? ;) And what do you mean, look hard? Just go here (http://swgb.heavengames.com/downloads/php/descpage.php?type=Multi&id=4) and learn more and/or download it. ;)

darthfergie
12-13-2001, 08:17 PM
Oh...I think I know what you are talking about...an in-game cutscene...yeah, I've got those in the campaign I'm making...

Vampire Slayer
12-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Well, its nothing that special. There's no talking or anything. Its just a special effects cut-scene that I'll make even more explosive looking later in the KING OF TURRETS I DEMO v3 (Currently version 2.)

darthfergie
12-13-2001, 10:21 PM
???
How can you make it explosive???
Is there some way to do that in the Gaia screen like the map revealer???
tell...or I shall use my mod powers to BAN it out of you!!!;) j/k

Vampire Slayer
12-13-2001, 10:37 PM
Simple, you just Kill the Turrets with triggers and they explode. I'm also going to add a few more explosions using killed birds if that works in SWGB, I dunno, I haven't tried that yet, but it works with AoK.

Psst, if you ban anyone, ban WC_Heavyarms or DOAOK_OpenSource. ;)

Ohh and since you seem so interrested, want to try a game of it? I'll play you at the Zone. My Zone name is Vampire_Slayer_.

darthfergie
12-13-2001, 11:04 PM
Its a bit too late over here...and I havn't downloaded it. BTW, I thought you meant SUPER explosions...

I'll check it out over the weekend probably...

The concept sounds pretty unique, but nothing too greatly hard to do...

BTW, I'm working on my campaign...a Corscant Campaign (there isn't any terrain button for city so it takes FOREVER to make maps)...that is taking p all of my off-line internet time...

Vampire Slayer
12-14-2001, 02:23 AM
Well, the birds don't make explosions. So I just added some Explosion Triggers and killed them off with triggers. Still is a nice special effect and now it has a little more variety in the type of explosion.

BTW, I didn't mean right away, I just meant to give me your Zone name and if I see you on ZM, I'll contact you or you contact me and see if we can play a game of KOT. I'll answer any questions about it in the game. And you don't need to download it if someone host it on the zone, it will transfer it to you. ;)

The concept sounds pretty unique, but nothing too greatly hard to do...

You mean to make the scenario? Cause it's not exactly easy. I got some heavy trigger work in there for some of the features. Plus when its finish, I expect to have over 2000 triggers. So it's far from being "nothing too greatly hard to do". I bet most of the forumers here wouldn't be able to make this scenario, unless they know every trigger like memorizing a book. ;)

Heavyarms
12-14-2001, 06:49 AM
i will download today and have a look. I will go in with no bias, and see how it is. If you went into my scenario thread and said "this blows!" I would maybe consider that there is no real want to this. If you have ever noticed, the game is not played to often, King of Towers. I see it being played once every 2-3weeks. I will look at it, tho.

darthfergie
12-14-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Vampire Slayer
You mean to make the scenario? Cause it's not exactly easy. I got some heavy trigger work in there for some of the features. Plus when its finish, I expect to have over 2000 triggers. So it's far from being "nothing too greatly hard to do". I bet most of the forumers here wouldn't be able to make this scenario, unless they know every trigger like memorizing a book. ;)

Like I said not too hard...for me...
My campaign has 8 scenarios...each scenario has about 20 triggers (or more)...I'm in the middle of the third scenario thanks to very slow placement of city buildings...

I'm not tring to make tons of triggers though like your requires...If I did who knows...Trust me Triggers are easier to do if you don't have to place over 500 buildings (probably a WHOLE lot more) for every scenario. And I want to make it look good so I keep going back and perfecting the background buildings and easter eggs on each scenario...

Vampire Slayer
12-14-2001, 06:33 PM
If you have ever noticed, the game is not played to often, King of Towers.
I know, but its a year old and there hasn't been an update since. That gave lots of time for other scenarios to meet higher standards.

From all the blood scenarios I've seen so far for SWGB, King of Turrets is definately above their standards. I bet KOT will be the only scenario for a long time that creates units using triggers that works with all CIVs. That's the feature that requires lots of trigger work. Another difficult feature that I bet no one really knows of is the invincibilty feature, which you will see in v3. It makes the turrets, droids and walls at the control centers impossible to damage. And the upgrade system was also a little dificult to do too, it took me a while to get it working right.

darthfergie
12-14-2001, 06:42 PM
Yeah I can see how upgrade system would be wierd...
As for the invincibility feature...That isn't all that hard...but I havn't needed to use it in my campaigns yet...

Vampire Slayer
12-14-2001, 07:24 PM
I'm not talking about editing the HP really high if that's what you were thinking. ;) What you have to do is loop a triger that damages all the HP of the unit/building and then restores the HP.

Vampire Slayer
12-15-2001, 09:07 PM
Well, I'll probably have KING OF TURRETS I DEMO v3 out by tommarow. I just got to finish up on the upgrade system for player 3 and then you can play KOT with 3 players and some new features or fixed features. :)

darthfergie
12-15-2001, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Vampire Slayer
I'm not talking about editing the HP really high if that's what you were thinking. ;) What you have to do is loop a triger that damages all the HP of the unit/building and then restores the HP.

(or you can just use the feature that comes in Gaia that says "Invincibility Object" or something like that)

Vampire Slayer
12-15-2001, 11:25 PM
You're thinking of the "Invisible Target". That just allows you to make the illusion of attacking something that can't be attacked.

I'm talking about making things "Invincible", as in can't be killed. I needed to do this so long range air units can't attack the turrets, droids or walls at the command center (Area of Turrets).

GunganArchitect
12-16-2001, 01:42 AM
Hey buddy, 20 triggers in each scenario is nothing!

That is bantha fodder!

An RPG scenario I am making for AOK at the moment...long time in development ;)... has 53 triggers and I have only just started my hero's quest.

You are obviously a newbie to Scneario design. Give Vampire Slayer some credit. 2000 triggers - phew!

The best designers are members of SCN Punk. A lot of the guys on this forum are too overconfident about Scenario designing, as I was when I started out. I will not flame you for you scenario, until it is downloadable...all I'm saying is - "20 triggers a scenario is not 'great' "

Vampire Slayer obviously put alot of time into KOT (2000 triggers) so don't be so cocky.

<Gungan_Architect>

PS - Sorry 'm so harsh...I'm pi**ed off at the moment - not a flame ;)

GunganArchitect
12-16-2001, 01:44 AM
whooops didn't notice darth fergie was a moderator.

**Hopes I don't get banned**

PS - This is not a suck up I read your ideas for the Naboo campaign and thought they were pretty good

::cool:

Stan|SCN Punk
12-16-2001, 12:25 PM
Well, with 2nd place in the Age of Kings Heaven "Destiny of a Dynasty" contest and honorable mention in Ensemble Studios' "Heroes of the Ages" contest, I guess I will say a few words.

A scenario does not need 2000 triggers to be enjoyable. Moreover, 300 triggers is about the top amount that you should use. Usually, keep it under 150. There are several reasons for that. I am talking about single player here, so TVS, don't be offended ;).

1) Bugs. The more triggers you have the more bugs you have. That is guranteed. The more bugs you have, the crappier your scenario is. The only way to eliminate bugs is to playtest, and playtesting, although EXTREMELY important, gets very boring after you've played the scenario 100 times. So to keep it simple for yourself, keep the trigger count low.

2) Lack of control. The more triggers you have (I don't see how else you need more than 150 triggers unless you have ALOT of cutscenes), the less control the player has. The more cutscenes he sees, the more control loses. Most gamers who play custom scenarios are casual gamers. That means they usually don't take more than 30 minutes to play a scenario. Sure a couple of cutscenes is fine, but cluttering the whole scenario with them is stupid.

Vampire Slayer
12-16-2001, 03:11 PM
I don't think KOT will have any bugs, even with 2000 triggers. I have everything catorized very well and I made myself a manual on how everthing needs to be set up so I don't forget. Right now I'm at 784 triggers and I'll be releasing the new demo soon. In some cases, having lots of triggers is required to fullfill complicated features. In this case, being able to select any civilization. The Shogun also has lots of triggers, but that's because I made a set of triggers for every villager and guard in the map. But if you played my Swamps of Naboo scenario that I just released for SWGB, I kept is down to around 100 triggers, which is mostly because there aren't many people to talk to.

Heavyarms
12-16-2001, 03:50 PM
I tried to download, but found an encryption device, so I was unable. Well, I would think no different of your scenario than KoT because it is the same as KoT. And out of 5 for Kotowers, I would give it a 3. I have played it MP, not SP, you and a bunch of other people hate me, so I guess my opinions mean jack s**t, right Vamp and stan?

Vampire Slayer
12-16-2001, 05:35 PM
WC_Heavyarms, you have to have winzip to unzip it. And its not the same as KOT for AoK, so don't judge it from the AoK version. KOT for AoK sucks compared to it. It's very different in a few ways. Stan is very strict when it comes to reviewing and he never likes giving good scores. He gave one of the AoK King of Towers a 3.2 and yet he thinks KOT for SWGB deserves a 4.4 (or was it 4.6?). BTW, I never said I hate you, I just think you have a crappy attitude.

Anyway, here's what I came here to say...

You can now play King of Turrets I Demo v4. It includes 3 players now and some improvements to some of the features. You can download the update here... http://swgb.heavengames.com/downloads/list.php?type=Multi.

Enjoy the new demo! :D

Vampire Slayer
12-23-2001, 04:18 AM
TOP! Please comment on King of Turrets Demo I v4. ;)

Vampire Slayer
12-23-2001, 05:49 PM
I'm loosing interrest in all the repeated trigger work and not too many people are even giving the scenario a chance, so for now. I will release one more King of Turrets I Demo thats 4 players and quit working on it until I'm ready to finish the last 4 players, which will maybe be after my The Phantom Menace campaign. I released one scenario from the campaign already, you can download it here... Swamps of Naboo (http://swgb.heavengames.com/downloads/php/descpage.php?type=Campaign&id=16), which has a score of 4.7 at the moment. ;)

Vampire Slayer
12-24-2001, 05:01 PM
WC_heavyarms, I'll help figure out what the problem is with you not being able to download KOT. Ok first of all, (which I think the problem is) do you have winzip? All files at HG have to be in a zipped file, so you need to be able to unzip it to get the files included in the zip. You can download Winzip here (http://www.winzip.com/), its a very usefull program that compresses files to be a smaller size inside the zip, then when you unzip, it restores the file. Once you have winzip, you can download any scenario off of HG and unzip them. If you do have a working zip program, then do you have a Download Accelerator program? Cause they don't work on HG and you need to turn the browser intergration off. Hope that helps.

Heavyarms
12-24-2001, 07:25 PM
I have DAP. I guess I can't get them at least until I get back home, which is Sunday. Well, I'll see what I can do then.

Vampire Slayer
12-24-2001, 08:00 PM
That must be your problem. All you have to do is select Disable Browser Intergration and you can download it nomally.

Heavyarms
12-31-2001, 06:14 AM
how's that done?

NM: just found it.

Heavyarms
01-01-2002, 03:27 PM
I played it, I told you my one thing I think you should do, and here is another: make it so as you kill more, you can upgrade and get better things in the turrets, like another one appears to get you a new type of enemy, while giving you the ability to use the old ones.

Vampire Slayer
01-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Actually, that pop limit idea wont work. Since Jedi don't count as Military, I can't make a one pop limit system for all units. If I made 2 conditions, 1 for Jedi and 1 for Military, that would make it so if you mad all military, you could start making Jedi up to a certian pop limit, which totally ruins the balance. I tried setting it without all the specific settings and only setting the player, but then it doesn't work at all.

As for your Kill idea, I refuse to use a kill system. I absolutely hate it. I already have an upgrade system and its by far superior to the kill system. For one thing, the Kill system is overused too often and it doesn't allow you to bounce back. As soon as you're behind, you're as good as dead anyway. My monument system works like playing King of the Hill except making upgrades when owning the monument, which is alot better because its easier to gain control or loose control and you can bounce back just fine.

Anyway, King of Turrets is canceled. I'll be releasing my last 3 player version, for now anyway. I don't have time to work on it and not many people give it the time of day to play it anyway. Its not worth making 1500 more triggers for such a minority group of people. Possibly some time in the future when I have time, I'll add one last player for my own enjoyment of the game so I can play 2 vs 2 sometime. The only way I'll reopen the project is if by chance, I see the game being played on its own quite often.

Heavyarms
01-02-2002, 08:45 PM
*hits TVS in the face* WHAT THE F*** is the matter with you? Finish making it! You didn't go all this way for nothing?

Vampire Slayer
01-03-2002, 09:45 PM
3 players is enough for me. And why do you care? You don't like All-Out blood maps. :p

Heavyarms
01-04-2002, 06:17 AM
*hits him again, this time in the groin* COME ON! Think about it! You worked all that way, and oyu are just gonna give up? If that is it, thatis pretty pathetic.

Vampire Slayer
01-04-2002, 05:58 PM
*Wacks WC_Heavyarms in the stomach with a baseball bat* :p

Its not like King of Turrets is dead. Its just never going to be more than 3 players, unless I decide if I want to continue it some day. I released a final version for now and I don't have time to finish it. I'd rather spend my time on my TPM campaign.

Heavyarms
01-04-2002, 09:32 PM
grabs a 2x4, and smacks his ass with it* Oh come on, could've made it a long term project!