PDA

View Full Version : Collector Box Edition?

M@nd@lori@n
12-10-2001, 08:48 PM
Quake 3 had it now Return to Castle Wolfenstein has it, what about Jedi Knight 2 J.O. a Collector Edition Box.What I would like to see if they did one is a box that look like the same one Obi-wan open to reveal Anakin Skywalker saber to Luke in ANH or a box that looks like marble that looks like it came from a sith temple ruins and it has carved in letters made by a lightsaber.What suggestion would you think worthy of a Star Wars Collector Box?:D

digl
12-10-2001, 09:11 PM
that if it exists it include something else, not just a beautiful box youll never look at again ;)

StormHammer
12-10-2001, 10:01 PM
How about a box in the shape of a Jedi Holocron?

And how about a nice new shiny replica of Kyle's lightsaber inside? Or perhaps a miniature of the Moldy Crow? Or maybe a Jedi Medallion? :D

Failing that, how about putting a 'Making Of' featurette on disk?

Or maybe compile all the concept art, screenshots, developer/actor bios, background story, etc., onto a disk.

Or include a 'prequel' novella.

I don't know...I'm making this up as I go. ;)

digl
12-10-2001, 10:13 PM
how bout a gift basket?;)

Lord_FinnSon
12-10-2001, 11:16 PM
Hmmm... Maybe names of main Raven developers at the front side of box, game manual full of original concept art and background story about what happened between MotS and JK2 AND perhaps a little statue of Kyle posing with his saber. :D

Darth Simpson
12-11-2001, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a good idea, although I would probably never see a copy of the Collectors Edition. I've never seen one for any game here in Norway.

Agen
12-11-2001, 04:11 PM
Yeh but i'll be getting jk2 as soon as possible so i won't be getting it.........:p

OnlyOneCanoli
12-11-2001, 04:39 PM
I considered making this topic a few days ago, but I figured I would wait until we are closer to release. But it's still a good topic. ;)

I'm all for a collector's tin. If I really want the game, like RTCW or Civ 3, I usually will get the special edition. It's only $10, so it isn't a big deal. As for what to put in it, I'm not sure. Most games just seem to come with a poster or something like that, maybe Raven/LEC would do something different. Perhaps a making of video, or better yet, a Natalie Portman Revealed exclusive video. ;)

digl
12-11-2001, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli
I considered making this topic a few days ago, but I figured I would wait until we are closer to release. But it's still a good topic. ;)

I'm all for a collector's tin. If I really want the game, like RTCW or Civ 3, I usually will get the special edition. It's only $10, so it isn't a big deal. As for what to put in it, I'm not sure. Most games just seem to come with a poster or something like that, maybe Raven/LEC would do something different. Perhaps a making of video, or better yet, a Natalie Portman Revealed exclusive video. ;)
I would buy that! :D

Agen
12-11-2001, 04:58 PM
U cna read my mind!!!!!! BURN HIM!!!

CaptainRAVE
12-11-2001, 05:11 PM
Id just be happy that for the first few copies of the game they gave away a special poster. I love it when companies do that. They did for Tachyon : The Fringe....my friends were gutted when I got the limited edition :)

Agen
12-11-2001, 05:20 PM
What about Natalie Portman REveals with ALL the copies ;)

CaptainRAVE
12-11-2001, 05:28 PM
I think this game is supposed to appeal to the younger generation aswell.......which is why there is no gore :mad:

Agen
12-11-2001, 05:36 PM
it 15+ (ELPSA anyway) who says we yank it up to 18?? oh **** then i can't buy, well who has a fake moustache for the realease day?

digl
12-11-2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE
Id just be happy that for the first few copies of the game they gave away a special poster. I love it when companies do that. They did for Tachyon : The Fringe....my friends were gutted when I got the limited edition :)
I wouldnt like that
Theres no way I could get one of the first copies :(

it 15+ (ELPSA anyway) who says we yank it up to 18?? oh **** then i can't buy, well who has a fake moustache for the realease day?
Where did you read that? KISS Army posted in the "different versions" thread the following
I can tell you that Jedi Knight 2 hasn't been submitted yet to the ESRB or any other ratings committee.

CaptainRAVE
12-11-2001, 06:04 PM
Well i dont mean the first dozen....i mean the limited edition ones that are usually on offer for the first 2 - 3 days, so you should b able to get one :)

Lord_FinnSon
12-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Well, I remember when Grim Fandango originally came to stores here in Finland. Some of those boxes contained only game itself with manual, but I was lucky enough to get (limited edition) box of the game with Tim Schafer's and pals names on it with little Manny puppet and copy of Full Throttle. That was something that I would like to see LEC doing again; maybe "hiding" copy of JK and MotS(in same covers) inside... :D

Agen
12-11-2001, 06:33 PM
Well all shooters for for Elpsa are 15+ BUT on elpsa is just reccomendation it has to have bbf for it to be illegal for it to be given to anyone under that age.... few have the bbf, Quake series had it likewise Kingpin but not much... and no Unreal didn't .. anyway that's jsut the European standards anyway.

Ryo Ohki
12-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Minature Bottle of Single Malt Scotch would make perfect freebie in Collectors edition. Though I'm sure bottle would end up a signed by MRJ and ultimatly empty before it left his office :D

MRJ
12-11-2001, 06:46 PM
:p scotch?

oops, wrong bbs... :o

KISS Army
12-11-2001, 08:57 PM
I'm not aware of any Collector's Edition of the game in the works, though I'm guessing that it just hasn't been decided one way or the other at this point. I'll recommend that we answer this question in the FAQ in a future update...

Right now the closest thing I've seen to any special edition of the game is here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LABK/qid=1008118712/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_67_2/002-5647166-9136004

Note the "special bonus." :)

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra
Project Administrator
Raven Software

digl
12-11-2001, 10:55 PM
thanks KISS Army

And BTW, could you recommend answering about editing, and if JORadiant will be released ? ;)

KISS Army
12-12-2001, 01:44 PM
I'll add the proposed question to "the list." Thanks.

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra
Project Administrator
Raven Software

StephenG
12-12-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by KISS Army
"...I'll add the proposed question to "the list." Thanks..."

"the list". i wonder how many Questions are on "the list".
i think the collector tin should have maybe a "behind the scenes look at JO" movie.

digl
12-12-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by KISS Army
I'll add the proposed question to "the list." Thanks.

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra
Project Administrator
Raven Software

thanks again! :D

I didnt expect an answer

Stephen I guess "the list" is the list of questions that they will be answering as they update the FAQ

wardz
12-12-2001, 03:18 PM
thats good news. I wonder if a question asked here gets first digs?

wardz

GUNNER
12-13-2001, 06:31 AM
Maybe they can throw in a copy of JK, MoTS and the original Dark forces.

It's a lot to ask but who knows.

Millions o' Monkeys
12-13-2001, 06:56 AM
well ill take the game even without the box. The box is really the least imprtant feature of it. And anyway all my boxes end up in a dark smelly corner somewhere :)

StephenG
12-13-2001, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Millions o' Monkeys
well ill take the game even without the box. The box is really the least imprtant feature of it. And anyway all my boxes end up in a dark smelly corner somewhere :)

i take care of all my game boxes. I still have the game box for my first PC game Duke3d.

GUNNER
12-13-2001, 07:51 AM
I used to keep all my game boxes as well as my PC hardwares boxes until the wife said I needed to get rid of some of them.

But now I have a small colection of them again...

Darth Lunatic
12-13-2001, 08:10 AM
How about a special collectors version on DVD? With makings of documentaries, teaser trailers etc etc.

More importantly, when are game companies in general going to start utilizing DVD technology more! I mean this great medium is just sitting stagnant in the computer industry. Of course i always hear the excuse/reason that not enough people have DVD-ROMS for their computers, which is fair enough.

How many of you guys have a DVD-ROM? Cos i have one, had it for over a year now. I don't think i've ever used it for software, only watching movies every now and then.

GUNNER
12-13-2001, 08:26 AM
I don't have one. :( I just have a creative 52X

I have heard that it takes forever to load anything with them.. Are most of them real slow?

I would like to have one but I'm leaning more towards a new Audigy gamer sound card.

Kwup
12-13-2001, 08:30 AM
DVD-ROM is a huge waste of time

I have had one for 3 years and have never used it, of course I have PS2 and a DVD Player, but still I think the computer's DVD-ROM is a waste until games come out for it(3-4 years min because nobody has or will get DVD-ROMS until CD's are so out of date that stuff requires a DVD format)

GUNNER
12-13-2001, 08:38 AM
That's how I have seen it, why watch a movie on a 19-21 inch monitor when I can watch it on a 32 inch tv. I can see a DVD on a laptop though where you could watch a movie while traveling, at least that is realistic.

StormHammer
12-13-2001, 10:22 AM
A collector's edition on DVD sounds good to me, especially if it's packed with some of the other stuff I mentioned in my previous post. I do have a DVD-ROM drive, and I have used it for more than simply playing movies (which are quite acceptable on my 19 inch monitor). Many PC magazines offer DVD versions, which usually have a lot more content, in terms of reviews, demos, patches, etc., that are not available with their CD editions. So it proves useful in that way.

I am also contemplating getting the DVD editions of Baldur's Gate, I and II. (Yeah, I know, I haven't played them yet...) If more developers did DVD editions of their games, I would buy those editions.

Incidentally, I think there is a misonception among some people that DVD-ROM drives are slow. They're not. Mine is an 8x speed...but that just means it's 8 times faster than the original DVD-ROM drive released. It equates to a data transfer rate of around 70-80 Mbits/sec. A 32x speed CD drive is around the 5.5 Mbits/sec mark. It also doubles as a 40x speed CD drive, which reads faster than my CD-RW drive (24 x speed). The reason why they may seem slow is because they hold a lot more information. ;)

Dirth Vedar
12-13-2001, 12:50 PM
You know, I was never too keen on that whole behind the scenes, show making of deal. What will sell me to the special edition would be.

1. complete compilation of all previous JK games, df, jk, mots.

2. soundtrack of game music.

3. small toy of some sort. Of kyle, of the bad guy, of the ship that someone flys in, a robot from the game. hell, they can even put different ones in each special edition box so people can "collect all four" or something. Though it's a little mean to torture collectors like that.

4. cloth map (hehe, just kidding about that one).

StephenG
12-13-2001, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GUNNER
"...I don't have one. :( I just have a creative 52X..."

same here!!!!!!!

PreTZeL
12-13-2001, 01:13 PM
id buy the DVD-ROM and the collectors box...
i think its time to build a new computer for me anyway:D
this one is obsolete!

Agen
12-13-2001, 01:46 PM
i think its time to build a new computer for me anyway

this one is obsolete!

Maybe but your cheesy words are not obsolete

PreTZeL
12-13-2001, 01:59 PM
lol what are you talking about?
what words??

CaptainRAVE
12-13-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Millions o' Monkeys

Maybe with the old cases I would have also said that. But with the new cases the CD case IS the bos :).....so it wont end up in the corner of the room or my bin any more :)

Lord_FinnSon
12-14-2001, 02:57 PM
Yeah, games also come in DVD case(but mostly in here Europe, I have heard) these days and I think it's much more compact way of storing them. Of course I also have many of those "traditional" boxes on the self waiting for me to wipe off the dust. ;)