PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Faith

Nyghtfall
01-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Picture This:

One morning, a small group of humanoid aliens comes to Earth. They are representatives from another planet. They've asked for a meeting with all the world's leaders, and arrange for a telecast to be broadcast worldwide.

During the telecast, they introduce themselves and announce that they are Jedi Knights from a galaxy far, far away. They tell us that their first contact with us was through a dream experienced by a member of our own species - a man named George Lucas. During this dream, they planted the seed for the story behind what he eventually named Star Wars. During the telecast, we learn that the movies they inspired him to make were a blue brint - a background, if you will - of what's happening in their own part of the universe. They explain that they've waited all this time to reveal themselves to us, in hopes that we would be prepared for their visit, and have decided today to make their existence known to us.

Additionally, they confess that they've been exploring the universe in search of ready candidates to bring to their Yavin and enroll in their Jedi Training Academy. They have watched, countless times, the fan films that they've acquired from our primitive Internet, and have concluded that we are worthy of their teachings. They tell us they will teach us how to access the 90% of our brains that we do not presently know or understand, and how to use our own potential to harness the powers of the Force.

Unfortunately, they cannot guarantee any of us will ever see Earth again, only that we will be trained as Jedi to help fight their cause and regain their freedom from the Empire, and maintain peace in their galaxy. In addition, they will help anyone interested in staying afterward with adapting to their culture.

The Question: Would you accept such an invitation?

NOTE: Similarities with the plot behind the movie, The Last Starfighter, are purely coincidental.

Raxius
01-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Oh hell yeah! long as i can bring my gf with me!

SaberPro
01-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Whoa nice story :)

I'd probably bring my FAMAS to see if their laser blaster is stronger than my rifle....

Otherwise, if by the time they came and my mom is still a Communist, i'd probably go :)

JPMaximilian
01-23-2002, 09:48 PM
I'd go once I lived on earth for longer and got to see more of the world.

GUNNER
01-23-2002, 09:58 PM
I might go....

I thought you were going to ask who went to church.:rolleyes:

Scav
01-23-2002, 10:15 PM
Prepare for this post to be moved to the Swamp.

GUNNER
01-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Thats my cue.....

Scav
01-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Told you.

GUNNER
01-23-2002, 10:48 PM
You know everything around here Scav?:rolleyes:

Scav
01-23-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by GUNNER
You know everything around here Scav?:rolleyes:

You may be a supermoderator, but I'm a supercomputer.

Outlaw_Torn
01-23-2002, 11:05 PM
I'm staying, unless they'll let me bring my guitar :D :cool:

GUNNER
01-23-2002, 11:06 PM
So you are the forum Cray huh? Well glad to meet ya.;)

Scav
01-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by GUNNER
So you are the forum Cray huh? Well glad to meet ya.;)

[DIRECTIVE RECEIVED]
[TRANSMISSION DECODED AND RECORDED]
Stand by, processing.

Affirmative, I am [Computer-of-Linguistics:First]. My functions are information retrieval//gathering, reporting, and commenting//giving an opinion on other units opinions.

[END TRANSMISSION]

Would you like to hear this recording again? Y/N _

GUNNER
01-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Well that was informative.

Scav
01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Beep.

StarScrap
01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
You could say I'm Scav's assistant. Having more experience in dealing with the less educated, I have, on numerous occasions, translated his words into more layman terms, thus avoiding any confusions. (example: Sniper Rifle=Disruptor)

As for the Jedi question. That is hard. That is really hard. Probably not. Either way I'd probably regret it. I might regret staying more than I'd regret leaving, but that's just because I'd be busy if I left. Well, I'd regret staying except on my wedding day. :D

Scav
01-24-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by StarScrap
You could say I'm Scav's assistant. Having more experience in dealing with the less educated, I have, on numerous occasions, translated his words into more layman terms, thus avoiding any confusions. (example: Sniper Rifle=Disruptor)

As for the Jedi question. That is hard. That is really hard. Probably not. Either way I'd probably regret it. I might regret staying more than I'd regret leaving, but that's just because I'd be busy if I left. Well, I'd regret staying except on my wedding day. :D

I'm R2-D2 and he's my Threepio. He translates my superior intellect into words for 'normal' people to read. <i>(that's a compliment StarScrap, because you have to be able to understand my intellect to translate it, right? :D)</i>

And it's very true that I have no experience in dealing with those with less fortitude brainwise. I argued with one of my clan members heatedly today, even if it was over a simple matter.

Back to the question. I would say yes, most emphatically YES! And I'd want to be a Jedi worth putting down in the history books, like Jorus C'baoth, or Obi-wan, et al ad nauseum.

The Seeker
01-24-2002, 01:59 AM
To those who read this post from LadyJedi12, that was me, but my sister, who had been on the computer before me had forgotten to log off, therefore causing me to post under her name. So, here it is again, but from me.

Leaving to the SW galaxy and being trained as a Jedi? Now THAT would be a Star Wars worth camping outside for weeks on end for. My hypothetical answer: Where do I sign? :D

acdcfanbill
01-24-2002, 04:12 AM
ummm, half a heartbeat? you could still write home...

Wolverine
01-24-2002, 04:24 AM
Yeah I would accept, but since I'm sort of mentally unstable do to women trouble, then I'd probably fall to the darkside.

GonkH8er
01-24-2002, 04:30 AM
No, I wouldnt go.

acdcfanbill
01-24-2002, 04:35 AM
dont worry gonk, they would find a new mod, or is it because of all the gonk droids?

GonkH8er
01-24-2002, 06:16 AM
oh sorry, forgot my sarcasm tags :)

StarScrap
01-24-2002, 09:57 AM
[not sarcasm] Are all of you REALLY willing to leave everyone you know? Now maybe if a few of my good friends were signing on too I would. I think I could stand leaving most people I know, but I'm really not sure about all. [/not sarcasm]

access_flux
01-28-2002, 07:26 AM
Nyghtfall, thats the sort of stuff i DREAM about. i would put my name down so quick, aslong as i had time to tie up my affairs and say goodbye to friends and family.

Sarcastic Saint
01-28-2002, 08:18 AM
HA! are you kiddin' me?? they are coming to pick me up tomorrow. :D
Dont you people follow the news... :p

In fact they already give me the stuff so i can start building my own lightsaber.... :rolleyes:

Broode
01-28-2002, 08:52 AM
In a second. I hate this stinking hole we call a planet and would do anything to leave it. Kinda. :rolleyes:

And besides, the star wars universe is much more interesting than here, if you've ever watched any of the movies, you'll know that there is never a dull moment, convenient plot twists will always bring a character around at exactly the right time, and the key to victory against overwhelming odds will always fall right in your lap. :D

gamebooger
01-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Ups and downs to both sides of it. I'd probably go then try to get some missions to come back here. Although how many lightyears would it be? Probably too much to come back or even go to the star wars galaxy.

StephenG
01-28-2002, 10:40 AM
of course i would leave earth! my life sux here anyways. sometimes when i'm bored i try to turn back but it never works.

Bartolo_JCS
01-28-2002, 02:56 PM
If I go I will find a way to return home by any means necessary. :eek:

access_flux
02-02-2002, 07:48 PM
broode, your right, the galaxy would be so much more interesting then earth. but where do i get the money for a ship? :)

matt--
02-02-2002, 07:50 PM
I actually came up with the same exact story to convince myself that Jedi Knights were real. ;)

Deadswitch
02-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Laff.
I'd go. I don't know who on earth wouldn't. Except maybe Trekkies.

xwing guy
02-05-2002, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure if I'd go, if like a bunch of my friends and several people of my family were signing up then I would sign up too, but if they weren't I don't know if I could leave them all or not.

Jimi-Wan
02-05-2002, 11:53 PM
Nyghtfall and Matt-Windu, I was actually thinking about writing a fan film with that same concept for the past 3 years. I started writing 3 different scripts in the past 3 years but never finished them. Although I did write one of them into a short story for my english comp class last semester, where some young scientists developed blaster and lightsaber technology(which was the cause for the visit from the Jedi) and were taken in by the Jedi. Im actually now in the process of thinking of another one now, and started this process like a month ago.

Since I have been thinking about a storyline very similar to the one in the original post, I have been thinking about the question "Would I go?" a lot lately.

The answer: yes I would. I would look out to the twin suns as Luke did in ANH. I would miss my family and the few friends I have, but they are "insignificant next to the power of the force" (Vader, ANH). Besides, "Its what I've always dreamed of doing" (Anakin, TPM). And for the possibilty, however large or small, of this occuring I must fulfill my destiny.

Agen
02-11-2002, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't leave unless i was able to tkae everyone i want with me and dingy the retards. oh yeh i'd have to take my computer nad jk2 with me!!!

Kurgan
02-13-2002, 05:29 PM
I guess it depends on :

1) What kind of evidence they offered to support their claims, and

2) how benevolent they were. After all, anybody as powerful as that, would have no trouble crushing us under the yoke of tyranny. It's a big enough show of power that they came from another galaxy, and with a purpose too, but then such a feat requires some extraordinary proof. I might want to believe them, but it would be an issue of faith, without proof...

Although one thing that would tip me off right away that they were bogus was this part:

They tell us they will teach us how to access the 90% of our brains that we do not presently know or understand, and how to use our own potential to harness the powers of the Force.

Considering humans use all of their brains (unless we're talking about lobotomy or something here)...

Besides, there's nothing in Star Wars that talks about that "force potential" being hidden in the <b>brain</b>, is there?

But, let's say it all was real, and they really did have hyperdrive like in the movies. In theory, they could bring you home in a decent time-frame. Their ships are capable of traversing the SW Galaxy in about a month.

acdcfanbill
02-15-2002, 02:28 AM
i dont even need to be a Jedi... i would gladly give up my dirt shoes for a seat in a fighter... in fact, if the Tigers Claw (Wing Commader) or the guys from Freespace showed up i would go in an instant... you remimber friends forever, but no space sim/movie can hold a candle to actually flying a fighter...

man i gotta get a job at Boeing and make them build X-Wings...

well, too bad these are all dreams anyway...

Ben_Walker
02-15-2002, 08:50 PM
1/ I should be able to say good by t all my friends and famliy.

2/ Play a good deal of JK2 before I leave.

3/ See Star Wars: Episode 2: Attack of the Clones and maybe episode 3.

If I got to do all that, I'd go. I propery see it as a destiny thing so I would go.

darthfergie
02-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Forget playing JKII I'd rather live it.

Agen
02-16-2002, 05:19 PM
I've figured that i'm interacting with a bunch of sad people :D

access_flux
02-18-2002, 08:47 PM
you can be sad with us then agen! :)

Eternity
02-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Yikes. It's threads like these that make the hardcore Star Wars addicts even more..hardcore.

I'm convinced some of those dudes really believe that universe far away really exists. I mean, you kinda have to if you are devoted to taking a large chunk of your life and sacrificing it to the imagination of some director called George Lucas.

Oh, to the 'Super Computer' guy, I already forgot your name: thanks. For some reason, I found that funny. :P

Kurgan
02-19-2002, 06:26 AM
Wait, so you're saying that none of this is real?

I guess that explains why Chewbacca hasn't paid me back yet.

Ben_Walker
02-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Forget playing JKII I'd rather live it.

Good point.

Cyclone
02-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Don't forget that these are aliens. It would be our Earth Bound obligation to nuke them and use their technologies to make secret weapons for ourselves.

jeeze, you guys need to watch "ALL" the movies and know the rules before you start your fantasies.

If we find them first, we can be friends. If they show up here, then that means they are here to invade because their home world is facing extintion and they intend for us to be their slaves. So we must kill them.

Cyclone