PDA

View Full Version : Outcast for game of the year?

Kodaichi Kuno
02-08-2002, 10:47 AM
<font color=white>
Well I've seen the trailer and JO does look damn tasty. But with PC game titles such as Unreal 2 C+C Renegade and erm... (mind goes blank) other impressive looking titles in the pipelines for 2002 release, will Outcast be the PC game of the year?

Yes I do realise that I've asked a bunch of JK nutcases this question (hell I'm one of them) But if it won't why not? What will?

~Kodaichi Kuno~

Impatiently waiting to get her Jan Ors outfit back on.......

thrEEpaGe
02-08-2002, 10:49 AM
jk0 wont get game of the year

ut2
unreal2
age of mythology
c+c renegade

those games are bigger contenders than jk0 imo

Kodaichi Kuno
02-08-2002, 11:32 AM
I've seen the video for renegade and that looks pretty good.

And Unreal 2 just makes me drool.

But that video for JO was :joy:

Decisions... decisions......

~Kodaichi Kuno~

thrEEpaGe
02-08-2002, 11:34 AM
ut2 has so many options its not even funny...

i would guess ut2 for fps of year (probably goty)

aom for rts of year

dunno bout everything else, but i would bet money that ut2 is goty

Justus
02-08-2002, 01:12 PM
I would like it if JO got game of the year, but I am biased too. We haven't even played the game yet and we are already talking about wanting it game of the year... that's devotion for you!

ps2maddenman
02-08-2002, 01:15 PM
It might not get game of the year but so what, I loved JK and this is the game I have been waiting for for a long time, I am interested in playing some of those other games too, but I love FPS and Star Wars so to me, this is a no brainer.

Kodaichi Kuno
03-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Justus! How true!!!

Guess that skipped my mind.

Just goes to show what hype can do. So that'll be me jumping the gun again.

~Kodaichi Kuno~

B0MBER II
03-06-2002, 11:35 AM
C&C Renagade sucks HARD

JK2 and MoH Allied Assault are the top games I bet

RoyalGuard
03-06-2002, 11:39 AM
While I think JKO will be the best game released this year (WARNING bias alert!) I'm not sure if it will have the popularity to be GOTY. If Unreal is as good or even only slightly worse than JKO it will be GOTY.

Lorewin
03-06-2002, 11:45 AM
LOL! C&C renegade is the worst game ever, Westwood sucks and will always suck.

It got 53% in PC gamer Sweden

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 11:46 AM
Have to believe either Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2. Though Soldier of Fortune 2 and Jedi Knight 2 could contend. Cant forget Warcraft 3. Will Star Wars Galaxies be out before Christmas? There is even the smallest but doubtful chance that Doom 3 could be out before the year is up. If console games that are ported to pcs are allowed in this category we cant leave out Grand Theft Auto 3 or Halo.

Cant forget Duke Nukem Forever- it probably wont win in the graphics but maybe just maybe if the game is as interactive as they claim it is maybe it could win for best game of 2002....
second thought, it probably wont be out until 2003.:p

thrEEpaGe
03-06-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by TimTheEnchanter
Have to believe either Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2. Though Soldier of Fortune 2 and Jedi Knight 2 could contend. Cant forget Warcraft 3. Will Star Wars Galaxies be out before Christmas? There is even the smallest but doubtful chance that Doom 3 could be out before the year is up. If console games that are ported to pcs are allowed in this category we cant leave out Grand Theft Auto 3 or Halo.

Cant forget Duke Nukem Forever- it probably wont win in the graphics but maybe just maybe if the game is as interactive as they claim it is maybe it could win for best game of 2002....
second thought, it probably wont be out until 2003.:p

HAHAHA
JK2 wont hold a chance for GOTY. No matter how much anyone says, graphics coupled with NEW gameplay make the best games. Let's think, shall we?

JK2/SoF2/MoH:AA
Old Graphics, Standard Gameplay (except Jedi Knight, but the Force and lightsabers can't save it for GOTY. Also, the realism/pseudo realism of the two latter titles will work against each other in terms of sales. (BTW, I HATE ALL EA TITLES. THEY CANNOT PROGRAM! I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE EA TITLE WORK CONSISTENTLY ON ANY MACHINE, AND THEY ARE NOT CONSISTENT IN STORING FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. DIE MOH!)

UT2/U2
New elite graphics (It will blow everything away until D3, end of discussion.), original gameplay (U Ownz J00; heh pun intended)

W3/AoM
I'm sorry, but I really doubt that Warcraft 3 will have a candle of a hope for getting Game of the Year. AoM on the other hand, will, although it probably won't get it, because action titles have emperically held the title more often than their RTS counterparts.

I am sorry, but other games truly don't have a place in the PC GOTY position. They haven't done well in the past in terms of sales and popularity (especially in those areas that especially count in terms of a game's life, ex. multiplayer).

Thus, taking all of this into consideration, my pick would definitely be UT2. I pick this over U2 simply because of the excellent showing that UT had, even without a solid storyline, and even though UT2 doesn't necessarily have a solid storyline compared to other titles such as JK.X, the graphics and gameplay are unique, and i think that it will be GOTY. (Keep in mind that UT was GOTY the same year that Q3 was released...hmm....)

[EDIT]: BTW, on my previous comment on C+C Renegade, I truly don't like those games. I am actually just trying to throw out other contenders to AoM in the RTS category. AoM will own everything. Microsoft can do some things right (or at least buy a company that can eg Ensemble)
hehe...anyway, i was not trying to defend C+C...

db6
03-06-2002, 12:15 PM
If Unreal 2/Unreal Tornament 2 are found to be nothing more than the same game with better graphics, then they will not get GOTY, A game deserving of that title would have to somehow redefine the genre, add something new, or the developers have taken many risks that eventually paid off with that title. If JK2 developers (i.e raven) have truely outdone themselves in the story, the role of NPC's and the player character in the conflict, then there is a good chance for JK2 to be a deserving candidate for GOTY.

X-Vector
03-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Game of the year?
Heeeeeeello, the year is only 2 months old, aren't you jumping the gun just a tiny bit?

P129
03-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Hard to see JK2 as GotY as not that many ppl are into sci-fi games.

Possible GotY games, if they get here in 2002 :rolleyes::

Homeworld 2
Deus Ex 2
Unreal 2
UT 2
Duke Nukem Forever
No One Lives Forever 2
Outcast 2

Observe that noone of these are my candidates :p.

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

HAHAHA
JK2 wont hold a chance for GOTY. No matter how much anyone says, graphics coupled with NEW gameplay make the best games. Let's think, shall we?

Old Graphics, Standard Gameplay (except Jedi Knight, but the Force and lightsabers can't save it for GOTY. Also, the realism/pseudo realism of the two latter titles will work against each other in terms of sales. (BTW, I HATE ALL EA TITLES. THEY CANNOT PROGRAM! I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE EA TITLE WORK CONSISTENTLY ON ANY MACHINE, AND THEY ARE NOT CONSISTENT IN STORING FILES OR ANYTHING ELSE. DIE MOH!)

UT2/U2
New elite graphics (It will blow everything away until D3, end of discussion.), original gameplay (U Ownz J00; heh pun intended)

W3/AoM
I'm sorry, but I really doubt that Warcraft 3 will have a candle of a hope for getting Game of the Year. AoM on the other hand, will, although it probably won't get it, because action titles have emperically held the title more often than their RTS counterparts.

I am sorry, but other games truly don't have a place in the PC GOTY position. They haven't done well in the past in terms of sales and popularity (especially in those areas that especially count in terms of a game's life, ex. multiplayer).

Thus, taking all of this into consideration, my pick would definitely be UT2. I pick this over U2 simply because of the excellent showing that UT had, even without a solid storyline, and even though UT2 doesn't necessarily have a solid storyline compared to other titles such as JK.X, the graphics and gameplay are unique, and i think that it will be GOTY. (Keep in mind that UT was GOTY the same year that Q3 was released...hmm....)

[EDIT]: BTW, on my previous comment on C+C Renegade, I truly don't like those games. I am actually just trying to throw out other contenders to AoM in the RTS category. AoM will own everything. Microsoft can do some things right (or at least buy a company that can eg Ensemble)

Again like I already said Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2 will probably win. But you will notice though that usually about 20 different pc games will get game of the year awards each year.

Swoosh
03-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why Unreal 2 or UT2 are so heavy on some of your lists. New graphics + same old story (run, shoot, kill) = a popular game, but not revolutionary in any way. I think the magazines and reviewers are past giving goty awards to the prettiest games. I mean, in 1997, JK won it without having nearly the best graphics. Story and fun is what wins these awards. My pick right now (hard to do this without *playing* any of the games) would be SWG as GOTY. JKII as FPS of the Year. Warcraft 3 as RTS of the Year. Do you really think Blizzard won't get this award? Of course, it's impossible to tell how good any other these games are based on movies, screenshots, and hype.

Swoosh

Desslock
03-06-2002, 12:51 PM

HAHAHA

UT2/U2

W3/AoM

EA is a publisher, not a development company. And if they have developed, they did not develope MOH. 2015 Inc. Did.

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much. Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

If your picking UT2 just because of the showing, then your just going along with hype... a showing helps tremendously, but its pretty dumb to state a game with a good showing will be GOTY. Assuming a game will totally rock just because it bears the name of a hit title is also a stupid reason (I dont exclude JKII from this statement)

Force and sabers wont save JKII? Pretty pictures and big suits are going to save UT2... Where do you get that idea?

Every game isnt well judged until its gone gold and hit the shelves and into the greedy hands of us gamers. People thought Renegade was going to be good. It flopped. Horribly in fact. Even the demo was a revelation of things to come. Didn't suprise me one bit Westwood screwed it up so bad. The thing about it was, Mod support and new gameplay style, and the fact you get to take part in CnC battles, instead of directing it. Now.. your going to judge UT2 to be the best of the best because you saw a nice flashy showing and it has the name of a GOTY. Rather pitiful in my opinion.

Theres a difference in speculating whether a game will be successful or not and just flat out saying its going to totally rock and bash other games in the ground.

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Desslock

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much....... Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

Just a little fyi for ya. its a lot more then a little upgrade for UT2. The implementation of vehicles will change the gameplay quite a bit I would imagine Plus some new types of game play, weapons, ai, etc. Sure its a sequel so it will retain many of the good elements of UT. As for Unreal 2, the multiplayer will probably be nothing like the original Unreal's which quite frankly wasnt all that impressive. Expect some interesting team based multiplayer called XMP for Unreal 2.

Desslock
03-06-2002, 01:10 PM

Just a little fyi for ya. its a lot more then a little upgrade for UT2. The implementation of vehicles will change the gameplay quite a bit I would imagine Plus some new types of game play, weapons, ai, etc. Sure its a sequel so it will retain many of the good elements of UT. As for Unreal 2, the multiplayer will probably be nothing like the original Unreal's which quite frankly wasnt all that impressive. Expect some interesting team based multiplayer called XMP for Unreal 2.

Jeez, does EVERY game require vehicles now? :rolleyes:

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 01:11 PM

You just dont like Unreal Tournament do you, cmon say it!!

Desslock
03-06-2002, 01:15 PM

You just dont like Unreal Tournament do you, cmon say it!!

Its not that. Its actually fun at LANs :)

Lets think.. HALO, Renegade, Now UT2. Little late on the freshness there eh? :)

Also if you remember Aristotle's report, Vehicles will play a large role in JKII, but I have my doubts that they will be fully controllable like HALO or Renegade. Dont know for sure though.

B0MBER II
03-06-2002, 01:15 PM
IMHO the GotY contenders will be:

WarCraft 3 by Blizzard Entertainment
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault by EA Games/2015

and

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast by LEC/Raven

Dirth Vedar
03-06-2002, 01:16 PM
sims vacation :D

thrEEpaGe
03-06-2002, 01:25 PM

EA is a publisher, not a development company. And if they have developed, they did not develope MOH. 2015 Inc. Did.

UT2 so far looks just like an upgrade from the original. Original Gameplay? Honestly.. you can only warp the Deathmatch concept so much. Unreal 2? Good graphics, hopefully a decent storyline to make those pretty graphics come alive, and probably the same Multiplayer as the original Unreal.

If your picking UT2 just because of the showing, then your just going along with hype... a showing helps tremendously, but its pretty dumb to state a game with a good showing will be GOTY. Assuming a game will totally rock just because it bears the name of a hit title is also a stupid reason (I dont exclude JKII from this statement)

Force and sabers wont save JKII? Pretty pictures and big suits are going to save UT2... Where do you get that idea?

Every game isnt well judged until its gone gold and hit the shelves and into the greedy hands of us gamers. People thought Renegade was going to be good. It flopped. Horribly in fact. Even the demo was a revelation of things to come. Didn't suprise me one bit Westwood screwed it up so bad. The thing about it was, Mod support and new gameplay style, and the fact you get to take part in CnC battles, instead of directing it. Now.. your going to judge UT2 to be the best of the best because you saw a nice flashy showing and it has the name of a GOTY. Rather pitiful in my opinion.

Theres a difference in speculating whether a game will be successful or not and just flat out saying its going to totally rock and bash other games in the ground.

I understand your comment about EA. The only problem that I have had with them is that virtually all of the games that they have made and I have had experience with have had huge flaws, including huge graphics compatibilities with multiple video cards, poorly written programs, and overall bad stuff. =) I am not trying to blame them for anything, but I have been noticing their crap. =)

Unreal 2 is much much more than the original Unreal in terms of gameplay. It will be borrowing more from its UTx and UC counterparts than from the original unreal in terms of multiplayer. For storyline, I think that because it is a sequel to a game that had an actual story and not a DM like UT was, it will be very successful. Sabers and Force powers WILL NOT carry JK2 to GOTY. The storyline is even borrowed! (COME ON HAVE YOU PLAYED RTCW??) I'm not saying that jk2 stole it from rtcw, but seriously, jk2 isnt that original. it has all of the classic star wars clichés, which can be both blessings AND curses. i personally will absolutely love jk2 and u2 and ut2, and will probably play all religiously..but lets face it..jk2 wont win goty....

the new vehicle system that i have heard along with various reviews and perusing the ut2 forums have netted me much info and insight as to why it will be goty (im still not sure on whether or not u2 or ut2 will grab the title, but i think it will go to ut2)

also, on jk2's force speed...in single player...in an interview i thought that someone said that everything else will slow down....hmm...if you dont see any connection to the matrix or max payne on THIS one you should be shot..

and the wall walking? thats called matrix hype riding...if you ask me, jk2 is far from innovative...they are even restricting the allocation of force powers, allowing for a more linear storyline...hardly imaginative and free, if you ask me....

ut2 on the other hand allows for the game to be played from all sorts of angles, not to mention having more than basically a few char. classes spammed throughout the game, as in jk2...trust me on this one folks...jk2 wont get goty....get it through your skullz!

heh..that was long..if im wrong on anything, please feel free to reply......

as always, im used to it!

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 01:28 PM

Its not that. Its actually fun at LANs :)

Vehicles will play a large role in JKII, but I have my doubts that they will be fully controllable like HALO or Renegade. Dont know for sure though.

Yeah it will be interesting to see, that pcgamer uk review mentions things like couple of brief Starfighter-style arcade sequences and
TIE-Fighter battles though we could be on the ground battling TIE-fighters.

Agen
03-06-2002, 01:37 PM

HAHAHA

UT2/U2

W3/AoM

Exactly ThreePage!!!! UT2 and U2 will not get the award because it has nothing in the new gameplay department at all. Only graphics and do you remember the first Unreal? it was designed to be the game that wiped out the Quake series. It sucked but they did make a good UT which beat Q3 but Q3 was designed to show off the Quake 3 engine.

TimTheEnchanter
03-06-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Exactly ThreePage!!!! UT2 and U2 will not get the award because it has nothing in the new gameplay department at all. Only graphics and do you remember the first Unreal? it was designed to be the game that wiped out the Quake series. It sucked but they did make a good UT which beat Q3 but Q3 was designed to show off the Quake 3 engine.

So your saying id makes games not to be fun to play but just to show off how great there engine can run? And you tell us Unreal sucked. What are you on?

B0MBER II
03-06-2002, 01:58 PM
Unreal did suck

Desslock
03-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Yeeaaa... Matrix is old.. stop accusing companies of stealing from it. Bullet time, the technique, was around before the Matrix. The Matrix just made it famous and appearent. Its like saying the shattering of glass was stolen from Red Faction :rolleyes:

Wallwalking was done in Action Quake 2. Again, Matrix hype is dead.

JK2 is by no means Deus Ex in terms of Character creation. The reason they are creating a linear force evolution so players cant totally own the AI. It makes it no fun. With a linear story line, you have to deal with what the game gives you. That makes it more challenging and fun to some people.

Star Wars has always been about stories. It doesn't have the technical depth of Star Trek, or the grunt action of war movie X. A linear storyline makes sense in that you dont screw up the story Raven is trying to tell you around the campfire.

Kurgan
03-06-2002, 02:20 PM
As a wise person once said... "Graphics alone does not a GOTY make..."

And I agree. Sure good graphics get a game noticed, but without high quality gameplay and some innovative features, it won't get the critical acclaim for that kind of award.

digl
03-06-2002, 02:23 PM
The reason they are creating a linear force evolution so players cant totally own the AI. It makes it no fun.

No. Linear force evolution is because of puzzles that will require force use. It wouldn't make sense to do it to 'totally own the AI'. You can do that with only the LS or with a few weapons

P129
03-06-2002, 02:26 PM
So your saying id makes games not to be fun to play but just to show off how great there engine can run?

Really that's almost true. id is mostly into making new technologies and better graphics to computer games. I don't mean that they just make an engine then a half-baked game but they are mostly into making new groundbraking technologies och stuff like that. That's why Romero left as he believed more in design and that made it hard for them to work together as Carmack was into that tech stuff. That's also Troika Games main goal aswell...

Desslock
03-06-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by digl

No. Linear force evolution is because of puzzles that will require force use. It wouldn't make sense to do it to 'totally own the AI'. You can do that with only the LS or with a few weapons

That may be a part of it but I was pretty sure that one of the Raven guys said the reason was so you cant max a force power to the highest tier and run through the level with ease. I think the example used was maxing force jump and bounding through the level.

What I meant by totally owning the AI is you having superior powers for that level which was not meant to help you advance to the next level. :)

ryudom
03-06-2002, 02:36 PM
i think that the plot and gameplay of a game is by far the most important thing. imo graphics are just a bonus.

i think for me that JO will be game of the year, but many people are graphics and gore crazed and will dislike JO, maybe.

Kurgan
03-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Hard to see JK2 as GotY as not that many ppl are into sci-fi games.

Lol! That's a keeper! Heck.. video games began in the sci fi genre (computer space, space wars, space invaders, galaxian, etc).. and let's look at the games you listed (even if they aren't your candidates):

Possible GotY games, if they get here in 2002 :

Homeworld 2

Let's see... sci fi
[/quote]

Deus Ex 2

Another sci fi...

Unreal 2

Sci fi again.. wow, do we see a pattern developing?

UT 2

No, it can't be! Sci fi again....

Duke Nukem Forever

Whoops, another sci fi....

No One Lives Forever 2

Hmmm.. couldn't tell ya. Does it have space aliens? Mad scientists? Time travel? Whacko futuristic technology? If so, it's sci fi...

Outcast 2

Not too familiar with the Outcast series, we'll just say for the sake of argument that's two non-sci fi games out of the list, the REST ARE SCI FI GAMES!

Heck, if you look at all the successful games in history, you'll see a huge chunk of them are sci fi based, inspired, or themed. JK2 is no exception... so why should that even be a factor in the decision to make GOTY?

digl
03-06-2002, 02:44 PM
That may be a part of it but I was pretty sure that one of the Raven guys said the reason was so you cant max a force power to the highest tier and run through the level with ease. I think the example used was maxing force jump and bounding through the level.

What I meant by totally owning the AI is you having superior powers for that level which was not meant to help you advance to the next level. :)

I think they used that exapmle to say you wouldn't be able to do that

i think for me that JO will be game of the year, but many people are graphics and gore crazed and will dislike JO, maybe.
Check the poll I started about the voodooextreme poll
JO is beating SoF2 (gore) and Quake4(graphics)

Desslock
03-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan

Not too familiar with the Outcast series, we'll just say for the sake of argument that's two non-sci fi games out of the list, the REST ARE SCI FI GAMES!

Outcast placed you as Cutter Slade where you went through a portal and ended up on an alien world, where a probe resides. Your mission is to find this probe.

Definately Sci-Fi :)

P129
03-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Well...
uh...
I have one thing to say to you!
Uh...
Urm...
Heh...

Well, I'll settle with : My bad! :(

You're totally right about the gaming industry starting with sci-fi gaming, but what i meant was purebred, hardcore Sci-Fi. Personally i don't count No One Lives Forever as Sci-Fi even though it contains high-tech agent gadgets and typical Bond stuff, but hey if that's Sci-Fi, hell, everythings Sci-Fi. I mean, not THAT many ppl are into Star Wars as you think. All my gaming friends (from the good old Atari times) aren't that into Star Wars or Star Trek, sure one of them thinks Star Wars is cool but no one else. It feels like people are more into guns and bullets and anti-terrorism and stuff like that (sure I like it aswell) nowadays.

Personally I think they're sick and unimaginative that can't think into that other galaxy far far away.

TrUeFoRcE
03-06-2002, 03:01 PM
outcast wil ldefinately be one of the top games...but im not sure about game of the year..... i mean the graphics are alot better and there alot more things you can do in it, but i hope it can stand up to the original in speed and gameplay, if it is as good as the original but with alot better graphics and maps etc.... then it will win.

StormHammer
03-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Yes, certainly a lot of interesting points raised so far.

There's a lot of strong FPS competition for JKII...as already pointed out. C & C Renegade was originally on my list of contenders, but just by reading a few site reviews, it's out of the running. The dated graphics don't really bother me...but gameplay flaws are a sure way to commit suicide.

Of course, as someone else pointed out...there are bound to be a lot of GoTY announcements, and I'd be surprised if JKII didn't reach the top of someone's list, somewhere. ;)

I think Unreal 2 has a very strong chance...because it's a lot more than simply a graphics upgrade. I'm also one of those who thorougly enjoyed the original Unreal...a game that still stands the test of time very well, and looks a whole lot better than some recent efforts. Sure, the graphical advancements in Unreal 2 shouldn't make it GoTY...but I think there will be some even more interesting gameplay elements this time around, and the environments will be a lot more varied.

Duke Nukem Forever? The problem with that game is that it will now have to pull a magic rabbit out of the hat and really blow people away, or they are going to give it a royal slating like they did with Daikatana (which, as it happens, is not the steaming pile of Bantha Poodoo many would have had us believe - I know, I played the game all the way through with an open mind, and while fatally flawed, with dated graphics, there was also innovation and a decent storyline. It was simply an average game - and it looks like Renegade's gone the same way...)

Half-Life 2 is just a rumour...

Halo for the PC hasn't even been officially confirmed...besides it's already won awards.

Deus Ex 2 may or may not appear in 2002...but if it did, it would be a very strong contender.

Chaser, New World Order and Unreal Tournament II could all be great games, and Kreed (the graphical equal or more to Unreal 2) could have some great gameplay as well. I'm hoping Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter and Falcone: Into the Maelstrom will also make it to PC, because they offer some innovation by combining space ship combat and FPS modes. According to a recent interview, though, they haven't really thought a great deal about Maelstrom for PC...that damned X-Box again. :(

It's pretty much an open field, and will definitely come down to how these games play, and if they really bring anything new to the table.

CaptainRAVE
03-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Actually these days it seems to be determined on how well they sell :rolleyes:

Qel
03-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Actually, its way too early to tell....;)

Qel

Kurgan
03-06-2002, 07:58 PM
Well Star Trek and Star Wars are HUGELY popular franchises, the world-over, that much is undeniable. True, not EVERYONE likes them and not everyone likes them to the extreme degree as some of the fans of those franchises.

However, to limit the notion of "sci fi" to just Star Trek and Star Wars will come as quite a shock (and insult) the fans of the vast body of sci fi inspired stuff out there.

And you have to admit, it's true, that some non-Star Wars fans like some Star Wars games, and some fans don't like some games based on the theme, etc. it all depends. Some people are fans who will get anything with the name on it, others are pickier.

But Doom for example... sci fi... you're going to Mars to fight aliens, that's it in a nutshell.

Soldier of Fortune I wouldn't count as science fiction, but System Shock series, and Deus Ex, Half Life, and Unreal... all Sci Fi.

And not just FPS games are full of sci fi influences.... games like StarCraft and Alpha Centuri ring a bell? Now I wouldn't count something like Diablo, that's more "fantasy" (which tends to dominate the RPG department). A game like Street Fighter I wouldn't consider Sci Fi (more like martial arts).

Basically, if the game follows a plot or theme akin to something you'd see on the sci fi channel, chances are good you could consider it science fiction.

The genre might be hard to define for some (but they know it when they see it) but here's one definition (courtesy of dictionary.com):

science fiction
n.
A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Locke101
03-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Personally i think JO is really up there for game of the year. As for C&C Renegade. NO WAY!!!! I played the demo for that thing and the netcode for it sucks big time! I mean, Westwood had to come out with a patch for the demo! FOR THE DEMO!!!!! to fix certain things. IN the end i think JO, or Unreal 2 will be winners

:duel:

risod
03-07-2002, 01:50 AM
Remember that the u2 engine will be so HW demanding that probably half of the members of this board wont be able to play it(pure speculation based on the sys. req. discussions a couple of weeks ago).

Nice graphics comes with a prize, upgrading hardware.

That will hopefully be taken into consideration.

SyKoTiCWretched
03-07-2002, 02:32 AM
who cares about goty a game i havent bought a game yet were the main decision in buying it was whether it won goty in fact i dont think its even factored into any of my decisions usually its experience of playing the game/demo if jk2 makes me happy i could care less what awards it receives as long as the competition is out there

Sarcastic Saint
03-07-2002, 02:49 AM
I dont think jk2 is going to be game of the year....or perhaps it will...i can only say such a thing on 1st of Jan. 2003. :D

Broode
03-07-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by SyKoTiCWretched
who cares about goty a game i havent bought a game yet were the main decision in buying it was whether it won goty in fact i dont think its even factored into any of my decisions usually its experience of playing the game/demo if jk2 makes me happy i could care less what awards it receives as long as the competition is out there

Whoa... Take a breath there son, theres only so many words that you can cram into one sentance. :)

[on topic]
JK2 will not be GOTY. Sure, it may be a good game, even a great game, but Star Wars isn't everyones peice of cake. I would say that it would never win a peoples choice award. But, for awards awarded my the journalists themselves, who generally have an open mind, it might have a fair go at it.

As for U2 or UT2, which seem to be sweeping a lot of peoples votes, don't judge it by the fact it has a revolutionary engine and vehicles. Tribes, Tribes 2, Halo, Renegade etc all had vehicles before UT2 and i never saw any of them get GOTY.

On the subject of Renegade, I found the MP mode to be the most fun I've had in a long time. Once you can get past the terrible netcode, it really is an outstanding game, full of variety and teamwork (yes, teamwork, its the only way to win). And, for the last time, the engine isnt as crap as everyone thinks it is. They simply had to scale the game down to lower system requirements. The modders that went to Westwoods lanning convention and mucked around with the engine actually said that it was pretty powerful, the retail game just didn't show it off well.

As for graphics winning GOTY, I give you three examples. Half-Life (Quake 1 engine), Jedi Knight (i think it was the Build engine, not sure), and Deus Ex (Unreal). All sub-par graphics for their time, all GOTY in some way, shape of form. (exacly who are we baseing history of GOTY off anyway? Gamespy? pah.)

As for my vote on GOTY, I think a completely unexpected game, like Half-Life or Deus Ex, will come and blow everyone away. Then, I'll dig this old thread up and rub it all in your faces.

Peace.

thrEEpaGe
03-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by risod
Remember that the u2 engine will be so HW demanding that probably half of the members of this board wont be able to play it(pure speculation based on the sys. req. discussions a couple of weeks ago).

Nice graphics comes with a prize, upgrading hardware.

That will hopefully be taken into consideration.

oh please...u2 SHOULD raise the bar for minimum sys requirements....i mean please...do you really think that you can continue to function on an oem video card, people? come on..anyway, somewhat related to this, the radeon 8500s are something like $135 ... that is a steal! go get one peeps..

thrEEpaGe
03-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Broode

[on topic]

As for U2 or UT2, which seem to be sweeping a lot of peoples votes, don't judge it by the fact it has a revolutionary engine and vehicles. Tribes, Tribes 2, Halo, Renegade etc all had vehicles before UT2 and i never saw any of them get GOTY.

As for graphics winning GOTY, I give you three examples. Half-Life (Quake 1 engine), Jedi Knight (i think it was the Build engine, not sure), and Deus Ex (Unreal). All sub-par graphics for their time, all GOTY in some way, shape of form. (exacly who are we baseing history of GOTY off anyway? Gamespy? pah.)

As for my vote on GOTY, I think a completely unexpected game, like Half-Life or Deus Ex, will come and blow everyone away. Then, I'll dig this old thread up and rub it all in your faces.

Peace.

first of all, i am basing my speculation of an unreal game winning goty because of the game's huge following...not only did it develop a following with no storyline whatsoever in ut, but it won goty with DIRECT COMPETITION to Q3....which is the frickin engine that jko is based on...gee....lets think about that one for a moment...ut got goty because it had gameplay that people enjoyed, and they had enjoyed the quasi-previous game in the series (ut was unreal's bastard child heh)....and the graphics were great, and the multiplayer offered huge loads of options...i mean TONS of options...btw, half life wasnt exactly 'unexpected', and deus ex is based on a build of the U engine you idiot....

the following is from

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/deusex2.phtml

[Naturally, a great number of old characters and organizations will be returning in Deus Ex 2.

Underwater patrolling octopus unit, that's what they call it.
As promised by the developers (explicitly, by the lead designer Harvey Smith) the game will be using a highly modified version of the original Deus Ex engine. More specifically, the game will be powered by the next-generation Unreal Engine technology.

Recently, we were contacted by one of their Public Relation managers at Eidos and he revealed that the game is on schedule to hit the market in Spring 2003!

Sadly, we have no info regarding the multiplayer option yet, although that doesn't mean the developers won't have multiplay in place by 2003. In all honesty, you shouldn't expect too much from the multiplayer feature, since the emphasis of gameplay remains fixed on the single-player experience.]

if you were referring to deus ex 2, i highly doubt that it will take goty from u2 or ut2, and if it did, its still an unreal engine game =)

in short, i am basing my vote on emperical data not only from past gotys, but from the goty that ut won in competition to q3...with NO direct competition for graphics or gameplay, ut2 or u2 is an easy choice =)

P129
03-07-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Well Star Trek and Star Wars are HUGELY popular franchises, the world-over, that much is undeniable. True, not EVERYONE likes them and not everyone likes them to the extreme degree as some of the fans of those franchises.

However, to limit the notion of "sci fi" to just Star Trek and Star Wars will come as quite a shock (and insult) the fans of the vast body of sci fi inspired stuff out there.

And you have to admit, it's true, that some non-Star Wars fans like some Star Wars games, and some fans don't like some games based on the theme, etc. it all depends. Some people are fans who will get anything with the name on it, others are pickier.

But Doom for example... sci fi... you're going to Mars to fight aliens, that's it in a nutshell.

Soldier of Fortune I wouldn't count as science fiction, but System Shock series, and Deus Ex, Half Life, and Unreal... all Sci Fi.

And not just FPS games are full of sci fi influences.... games like StarCraft and Alpha Centuri ring a bell? Now I wouldn't count something like Diablo, that's more "fantasy" (which tends to dominate the RPG department). A game like Street Fighter I wouldn't consider Sci Fi (more like martial arts).

Basically, if the game follows a plot or theme akin to something you'd see on the sci fi channel, chances are good you could consider it science fiction.

The genre might be hard to define for some (but they know it when they see it) but here's one definition (courtesy of dictionary.com):

True. As said almost everything counts as Sci-Fi when you really look at the words meaning.

That's probably why computer/console games are specified with FPS, RPG, Adventure and other things instead.

The real point in my first post wasn't to arguement about the Sci-Fi sort of games being GotY but bringing up the thought that I don't think that JK2:JO will be appriciated by enough ppl to be GotY. As CaptainRAVE's statement; "Actually these days it seems to be determined on how well they sell" rings quite true, I don't think JK2:JO will be recieved by the masses as good as for example Max Payne witch is an easy piece of pie to swallow for ppl who don't bother or are to lazy to play a game with a bogus Sci-Fi world with organizations called "The Empire" and "The Rebels".

For example Homeworld got to be USPCG's GotY but it didn't sell very well so that was like the only magazine giving it that award. Almost every other magazine gave Q3,UT or R6:RS the award...

JaG|Kaiser
03-07-2002, 11:56 AM
If you played Tribes 2 competitively, please raise your hand.

/me raises hand.

As I understand it, ut2 will incorporate vehicles and CTF with bases that are far apart. To me, this sounds like Tribes 2 without jetpacks or skiing. Aside from that, I hadn't heard of anything new or innovative coming from the ut2 game. It sounds like it won't be good. I thought ut was slow, and I can't imagine CTF without the speed and mobility of T1.

Game of they year? As someone said earlier, we are 3 months into the year. Who knows what the rest of the year holds? We do know this: Gaming magazines give whatever awards out to the companies that pay the most for them. We'd all be naiive to think the games were assessed without any sort of influence from outside companies.

TimTheEnchanter
03-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by P129

True. As said almost everything counts as Sci-Fi when you really look at the words meaning.

That's probably why computer/console games are specified with FPS, RPG, Adventure and other things instead.

The real point in my first post wasn't to arguement about the Sci-Fi sort of games being GotY but bringing up the thought that I don't think that JK2:JO will be appriciated by enough ppl to be GotY. As CaptainRAVE's statement; "Actually these days it seems to be determined on how well they sell" rings quite true, I don't think JK2:JO will be recieved by the masses as good as for example Max Payne witch is an easy piece of pie to swallow for ppl who don't bother or are to lazy to play a game with a bogus Sci-Fi world with organizations called "The Empire" and "The Rebels".

For example Homeworld got to be USPCG's GotY but it didn't sell very well so that was like the only magazine giving it that award. Almost every other magazine gave Q3,UT or R6:RS the award...

I have to disagree, if the game is as good as it appears it well sell well. First off do star wars games sell well? Yes wasnt starfighter the first playstation 2 game to make it to number one on the video game charts. How about First Person Shooters. MOH:AA continues to be the number one selling pc game in the nation(it also happens to be using the same Quake 3 engine has outcast) and Halo is hanging out at #5 on the console game charts. The thing that may hurt JK2: Outcast as goty is the short development time. And the reason for that is probably based on the budget Lucas Arts worked out with Raven to make the game.

P129
03-07-2002, 03:32 PM

I have to disagree, if the game is as good as it appears it well sell well. First off do star wars games sell well? Yes wasnt starfighter the first playstation 2 game to make it to number one on the video game charts. How about First Person Shooters. MOH:AA continues to be the number one selling pc game in the nation(it also happens to be using the same Quake 3 engine has outcast) and Halo is hanging out at #5 on the console game charts. The thing that may hurt JK2: Outcast as goty is the short development time. And the reason for that is probably based on the budget Lucas Arts worked out with Raven to make the game.

I'm not sure about what you are disagreeing to in my post. Many games are brilliant but don't sell very well. For example: Homeworld, System Shock 2, Deus Ex (sure it sold good but not Q3 good...), Thief, Shogun etc.

And sure MoH:AA sells well and Halo to, I have never said anything about them.

And Star Wars games have not sold very well in comparison with how many SW titels that are released. SW:Rebellion, SW:Force Commander, SW:Galactic Battlegrounds, SW:Chess (:p), SW:Shadows of the Empire, SW:Monopoly so on never sold very blockbuster high. Hell, JK didn't sell as much as Q2 (understandable but I'm just comparing).

And btw, why would a short development time have any sort of impact on how they choose a GotY?

Obi
03-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Jedi Knight was GotY and it was based on Star Wars. It can happen again.

P129
03-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Obi
Jedi Knight was GotY and it was based on Star Wars. It can happen again.

That brings us to another point witch I have been wondering and pondering about as well, who declares the GotY? No single gaming magazine could do it alone but some extreme cases like H-L where everyone agreed.

Sounds Risky
03-07-2002, 09:55 PM

After Halo, yes. No game is good without them now.

*snicker*

TimTheEnchanter
03-08-2002, 02:25 AM

I'm not sure about what you are disagreeing to in my post. Many games are brilliant but don't sell very well. For example: Homeworld, System Shock 2, Deus Ex (sure it sold good but not Q3 good...), Thief, Shogun etc.

And sure MoH:AA sells well and Halo to, I have never said anything about them.

And Star Wars games have not sold very well in comparison with how many SW titels that are released. SW:Rebellion, SW:Force Commander, SW:Galactic Battlegrounds, SW:Chess (:p), SW:Shadows of the Empire, SW:Monopoly so on never sold very blockbuster high. Hell, JK didn't sell as much as Q2 (understandable but I'm just comparing).

And btw, why would a short development time have any sort of impact on how they choose a GotY?

Several of the star wars games you mentioned as not selling well recieved pretty poor reviews from the media(rebellion, force commander, and shadow of the empire) so its no suprise they sold poor. I didnt think chess and monopoly computer games sold well regardless of whether there star wars or anything else.

The point I was trying to make is that JK2, isnt just being made for the hardcore fans of anything Star Wars, but also is being made for the first-person shooter crowd, the same crowd buying MOH:AA and keeping it at number 1 Of course the reviews the game gets will also affect sales but I have a feeling that the large majority will be good.

I think the short development time hurts the game of the year chances cause if you read the pc gamer uk review they say its a good game but could have used another month of development time.

P129
03-08-2002, 09:13 AM
The point I was trying to make is that JK2, isnt just being made for the hardcore fans of anything Star Wars, but also is being made for the first-person shooter crowd, the same crowd buying MOH:AA and keeping it at number 1 Of course the reviews the game gets will also affect sales but I have a feeling that the large majority will be good.

I think the short development time hurts the game of the year chances cause if you read the pc gamer uk review they say its a good game but could have used another month of development time.

Surely ppl like MoH:AA because it's getting good reviews but also because almost everyone can play it without having to know anything about WW2, while ppl that haven't heard or seen anything about Star Wars would have a hard time adapting to "The Force" and other things that probably won't be explained in the game and makes the game confusing.

And yes UK PCG mentioned that it could have used another month of developement time and it has. What I meant was if the game was released and was very well balanced and only got one patch but had been in like 1 years developement it wouldn't matter. When meaning short development time I meant just short development time, I never mentioned anything about realeasing a buggy game.

TimTheEnchanter
03-08-2002, 09:53 AM

I never mentioned anything about realeasing a buggy game.

Neither did I.

P129
03-08-2002, 11:08 AM
An unfinished unpolished game then. :rolleyes: