PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Disrupter weapon...

Silent_Thunder
02-08-2002, 10:01 PM
:ewok: The Disrupter was the only thing in the JO trailer that I really didn't like.

The disinigration looked EXACTLY like something you might find in Elite Force or any Star Trek movie.

I don't think it makes much sense to have the enemy to turn into a statue as soon as he gets hit with the thing. I mean, he does have some mass left while disappearing, and that mass would still be drawen down by gravity, right? I know this game isn't trying to be realistic, but it IS trying to be like Star Wars, and IMO that looked alot more like Star Trek.

Personally, I would have the creature shot by the disrupter to fall over normally (same as if he were shot by a blaster) but disappear while falling.

Now I know I'm just nitpicking, but this was kind of bugging me.

What are all of your opinions on the subject?

:ewok:

Wacky_Baccy
02-08-2002, 10:25 PM
I actually prefer the way it is already to the way you suggest it should be (disappearing while falling) because I think it looks more like an assassination shot if he freezes and then disintegrates without falling :)

And it is supposed to be the sniper rifle of the game, is it not? (therefore used for assassinations...)

And I just love that 'in-scope' view - it's awesome!

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
02-08-2002, 10:33 PM
The effect was not quite finished when that trailer footage was taken. It looks very different from the EF disintegration, and much, much cooler than it. And I would defend the "Star Wars-ness" of the effect by saying that they do, in fact, have weapons that disintegrate people in Star Wars - remember when the bartender at Mos Eisley yells "no disintegrations!" when Obi Was throws down with Butt-Face(tm)?

Kestral
02-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
The effect was not quite finished when that trailer footage was taken. It looks very different from the EF disintegration, and much, much cooler than it. And I would defend the "Star Wars-ness" of the effect by saying that they do, in fact, have weapons that disintegrate people in Star Wars - remember when the bartender at Mos Eisley yells "no disintegrations!" when Obi Was throws down with Butt-Face(tm)?

That's 'No blasters!'.

However, <b>Vader</b> says no disintegrations. :p

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
02-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Hehe, you're right, my mistake... been working too hard, I guess... :)

SL_Ki-Adi-Mundi
02-08-2002, 10:52 PM
That's a good thing though. :D

Believe me, we appreciate it.

JPMaximilian
02-08-2002, 10:55 PM
I defend the disruptor on two points:

1. It looks cool.

2. Darth Vader (as already mentioned) tells Boba Fett in ESB "no disintigrations"

Silent_Thunder
02-08-2002, 11:04 PM
Wow, I'm honoured that I got a reply from a dev :).

I'm glad to see that that wasn't the finished version of the animation.

However, the disintigration isn't what I thought isn't Star Wars-ish, but the fact that the Gran just freezes when he gets shot., and doesn't fall over.

I assumed the reason why the old Star trek movies had the people who got phasered just disappear instead of reacting to the shot and then disintergrating was becuase they didn't have any better tech, and the only thing they could do was just do a fade out from a still shot of a guy standing there, to the empty room without anyone in there.

So, my main question is, why doesn't the Gran react to the shot instead of becoming a statue and disappearing? It jsut doesn't look starwars-ish, but more like star trek. I could imagine in actual disntergration to be in star wars, but not the freeze and disappear thing.

Wacky_Baccy
02-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SL_Ki-Adi-Mundi
That's a good thing though. :D

Believe me, we appreciate it.

We certainly do :)

I don't suppose, ChangKhan, that you'd tell us if the wall-walk is much longer than we see in the trailer?? (Most of us seem to agree that it's not...) Or if it was finished when that clip was taken? (I know I'm pushing my luck but it seems a small enough thing to ask that also doesn't give too much away :D ;))

rolsen
02-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Please don't insult Star Trek by calling it "star treck."

I am a huge fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek.

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
02-08-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

We certainly do :)

I don't suppose, ChangKhan, that you'd tell us if the wall-walk is much longer than we see in the trailer?? (Most of us seem to agree that it's not...) Or if it was finished when that clip was taken? (I know I'm pushing my luck but it seems a small enough thing to ask that also doesn't give too much away :D ;))

It's a very quick move, just a few steps. You can control the speed of the run by pressing forward or backward (or neither) during the run. Also, you can flip off the wall in the middle of it if you hit the jump key. And enemy jedi can do it, too, if the conditions are right.

Wacky_Baccy
02-08-2002, 11:42 PM

It's a very quick move, just a few steps. You can control the speed of the run by pressing forward or backward (or neither) during the run. Also, you can flip off the wall in the middle of it if you hit the jump key. And enemy jedi can do it, too, if the conditions are right.
Sounds excellent! (How could it not be with you lot at the helm :D ;))

Thanks for the swift response :)

GonkH8er
02-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Thanks Chang. We really appreciate your forum visits....:D

TheBlueFlamingo
02-09-2002, 12:13 AM
I don't want to get on anyone's bad side here but I think people are just a little too picky. If thats the way they want it thats the way its going to be. I'm sure if it wasn't star wars enough sombody at LEC would have done something about it.
We should be (I think most of us are) glad, well more than glad, that they are even making a JK2, we could be stuck with just Obi-Wan on the X-Box. Be happy with what you can get. We are not the ones making the game so we cant dictate what to have in it. But i guess i'm the one complaining. The topic was what our OPINION of it is, and everyone can have their own opinion. Sorry. I was reading something somewhere the other day that mentioned that fans expect too much and expect to have the makers of the game listen to them, but they dont owe us anything. I don't know, i just wanted to throw this out there, its not aimed at anyone, i've noticed this type of thing on other boards too.
:max: :max:

Belgirion
02-09-2002, 12:30 AM
personally I'd rather have the concussion rifle instead of the disruptor. Can't go wrong with the classics :laughing:

GUNNER
02-09-2002, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't mind the AWP, oops, to much CS.

Sorry...:rolleyes:

Silent_Thunder
02-09-2002, 12:42 AM
TheBlueFlamingo, what exactly do you expect to be posted on this board?

"The topic was what our OPINION of it is, and everyone can have their own opinion. Sorry."--TheBlueFlamingo

I'm hardly trying to force my opinion on you. In fact, I ASKED your opinion.

I AM happy that we're getting a sequal finally. I know I'm not making the game, and am glad I am not (For many reasons). Also, I don't expect the developers to listen to me, nor did I even expect a response. The only responses I wanted were peoples thoughts on the subject.

Wacky_Baccy
02-09-2002, 12:46 AM
I disagree with you, Belgirion, because I think change is far better than stagnation, and allows for the further evolution of things... and I hated the Conc, too :D ;)

But that aside, Welcome to the forums!! (Shouldn't I be getting payed for all these 'Welcomes', Gonk?... ;-)

Expect a Welcome Basket from Boba Rhett in the near future, and a Chocolate Jedi Medallion from StormHammer when he comes on :) (anyone know where he's gone?)

TheBlueFlamingo
02-09-2002, 02:07 PM
Yeah you are right, my post was just something stupid I said. It was one of thoes things that i thought would be cool at first then after i posted it i realised im the dumbass here. So sorry. ignore my post please.

I personaly don't know what to think of the disruptor, I'll decide after i get to use it.

Sorry again
:max:

StarScrap
02-09-2002, 02:44 PM
I think they should completely revamp most of the higher weapons each times. Makes for a point to playing the earlier ones, among other things. Leave the old weapons to the mods. (Although i wouldn't mind seeing the mortar again...)

Imp Destroyer
02-09-2002, 02:50 PM
hey did you ever think that the disrupter might also have a nerual paralyzation effect when someone gets hit with it causeing him to freeze in place, besides like they said it's NOT finished
though I do miss the Assault Rifle from DF, that one rocked so much!!!!!! die diangoa!!!!!!(sp?)

StarScrap
02-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Remind me of what the assault rifle was again...

Imp Destroyer
02-09-2002, 02:57 PM
the one that shot out the plasma shots and the missiles, used by the Dark Trooper

Imp Destroyer
02-09-2002, 02:58 PM
though i hope the disrupter is deflectable by the saber.......
i wonder what it would do to walls and droids hehe

DeathBoLT
02-09-2002, 06:27 PM
i'd like it just to burn the flesh off of them... leave a charred skeleton in its place. :p

JaG|Kaiser
02-09-2002, 06:34 PM
plz plz plz tell me that it doesn't have the freezing effect of the carbonite gun from MotS.

Moses
02-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Wow, that's sadistic Deathbolt! Get away from me please. ::distances himself from Deathbolt::

Now that that's over with, I like the scope, the animation as it is (and the fact that it's not even done yet is just awesome), and the ammo level. It was prevously said that there were 20 rounds (by counting the little green tallies on the side of the scope view) and 2 are used for disintegrations. I like the low ammo level. I don't think power weapons like this should have 500 ammo, etc. The one thing I'm worried about it that it will be too powerful. Like you said, if saber's can't deflect disruptors then there's no use to use a lightsaber. You will die. I'm sure that they will be deflected, though. But even so, if you are in a fight with another Jedi, you could be shot in the back. That's no fun.:(

Lord_FinnSon
02-09-2002, 06:44 PM
i'd like it just to burn the flesh off of them... leave a charred skeleton in its place. :p
Excellent idea. Just like skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aut Beru in ANH(Dark Forces also had skeletons lying in ground). Movie didn't exactly explain which guns Stormies used to kill them...

JPMaximilian
02-09-2002, 06:56 PM
I think they torched the inside of the homestead somehow, hopefully Uncle Owen put up a good fight...

DeathBoLT
02-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Moses
Wow, that's sadistic Deathbolt! Get away from me please. ::distances himself from Deathbolt::

you're playing and commenting on the same game i am. im just merely talking about visual effects.

Silent_One
02-09-2002, 07:05 PM
I think the disruptor is just fine the way it is (model wise). But the animation needs a little work.

Moses
02-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Aw, I'm sorry Deathbolt. I'm a big teddy bear, really. ::gives Deathbolt a hug::

Imp Destroyer
02-10-2002, 07:07 AM
i hope that at the full force level, you will be able to block shots no matter what direcetion they are coming from, though not always a garanteed block if two shot come at you from two different directions separated by more that 200 degrees, so that if someone tried to snipe you in the back you could block it

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 07:16 AM
In the trailer what was the enemy trying to do before he got vaporised? He put something to his mouth (a bit like pulling the pin out of a grenade) then went into a king of throwing motion before he got shot.

Agen
02-10-2002, 07:27 AM
He's throwing a Thermal Detonator i believe.

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 07:30 AM
Good animation of it then :)

Agen
02-10-2002, 07:51 AM
hope if u hit it in his hand it bloews up.

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Yea, like in JK. If they were about to throw it and you killed them it still blew up in their hand :)........that would be neat to see their arm go flying passed you :)

Agen
02-10-2002, 08:00 AM
what about when they get frozen for a few secs the thermal det can go off in their hand and sahtter them.

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 08:18 AM
Im dont remember that :(

Redwing
02-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

Excellent idea. Just like skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aut Beru in ANH(Dark Forces also had skeletons lying in ground). Movie didn't exactly explain which guns Stormies used to ...

They used flamethrowers/carbines (can't remember the proper name) Don't remember where I heard that though....

SkiggeBoy
02-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

Excellent idea. Just like skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aut Beru in ANH(Dark Forces also had skeletons lying in ground). Movie didn't exactly explain which guns Stormies used to kill them...

You asked about what weapons stormtroopers used killing Beru and Owen? I think that they first used blasters and then afterwards burned corpses with flamethrowers...

Ps. mä olen myös suomesta :)

toms
02-11-2002, 11:15 AM
i agree that the freezing is very Trek (and probably because of the limitations of the sfx in the original show).

what would be cool would be if the target looked at his hand (or whatever was disintigrating) in surprise as it desapeared before his eyes.... ;)

i thought he bit a pin out of the thermal detonator too... are they using the SOF animation routines? ;)

thrEEpaGe
02-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
I disagree with you, Belgirion, because I think change is far better than stagnation, and allows for the further evolution of things... and I hated the Conc, too :D ;)

thats a shame...the conc ruled...im interested what splash dmg projectile weapons jk2 will have....

Kurgan
02-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Disintegration can be a cool-looking affect, but if they want to be more "realistic" they could throw in a crater under the victim's feet, and a gas/dust cloud afterward.

Imp Destroyer
02-11-2002, 01:23 PM
crater?....... the weapon disintigrates people not blows them up..... as for the dust/gas cloud i agree
the pin bite, i didn't notice that though it might be there

Redwing
02-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Well, because a disruptor is simply an incredibly overpowered blaster, not all the blast energy would be dissipated in the disintegration, and would disintegrate some of whatever the victim was standing on.

Bartolo_JCS
02-11-2002, 09:33 PM
What was this post about again?

Oh yea I think ChangKhan was looking for the quote when Darth Vader tells Boba Fett, vader: ..."no disintegrations!(pointing at Fett)" Fett: "As you wish."

:vadar::fett:

Lord_FinnSon
02-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Ps. mä olen myös suomesta :)
And I thought me and T-Dogg were only Finnish guys here! Good to have you onboard, jäpä. :D

Spaceball_One
02-11-2002, 09:47 PM
when Obi Was throws down with Butt-Face(tm)?

his name is "butt-face"!?!? hahahahahahaha!!!

anyways, my opinion on the original question asked in this thread (yeah its funny how the original topic of the thread doesn't last very long) i was kind of disappointed with the disruptor... i was really hoping to see a sort of "snipe-only" weapon in OUTCAST, you know, like the AWP or something... i think it would be much cooler to have an enemy fly back a littles when hit with the impact of the high powered bullet though, rather than just turn to stone.

Redwing
02-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Stone? Where'd you get that idea? Actually, the enemy will be turned into, well, nothing ;)

TUS_Tomcat
02-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Is the disruptor's blast blockable, I wonder...

I would assume it is, reading this:

"Well, because a disruptor is simply an incredibly overpowered blaster"

-Redwing

and this

"throw and control the lightsaber as well as your ability to block blaster bolts (and other energy shots) with it."

And then specificly the (and other energy shots) part

-from the lucasarts FAQ

Redwing
02-13-2002, 02:19 AM
Of course, the energy blast from the disruptor may be too big for a saber to block...

TUS_Tomcat
02-13-2002, 02:40 AM
Hmmmm, i wonder what happens to the secondary fire, disintegration

If that could be blocked and deflected to its firer would he disintegrate? Or maybe you can block it but the lightsaber absorbs it...

EnforcerSG
02-13-2002, 10:48 AM
Well, it could just be that maybe the scope keeps in the image of the target until it is not there anymore, or some odd little thing like that?