PDA

View Full Version : What was your biggest complaint about the trailer

Silent_Thunder
02-09-2002, 02:17 AM
:ewok: I've seen lot's of seperate threads regarding different things such as the footage being too short, the image being too small, the wall running being too slow, ect. But I thought it would be nice to have all the complaints that people listed in one poll to see which are the most common dislikes...

For me it was the too short fighting scenes... it jumped around too much.

:ewok:

Wacky_Baccy
02-09-2002, 02:37 AM
I voted for option 2 (short, too 'jumpy')

I'm only on 56k, but I wouldn't mind waiting half an hour downloading several minutes of dedicated Sabre action - especially if it included some more varied Force demonstrations :)

Yodimus Prime
02-09-2002, 02:38 AM
That is wasn't the game.

Sarcastic Saint
02-09-2002, 02:51 AM
Yeah i got a 56k too and i wouldnt have mind waiting perhaps as much as 2 hours (in a row ofcourse) to get a decent movie.

Not that this was bad no no...but....it was a little to hecktic therefore i voted 2.

But otherwise....from what i have been abke to see....this game is gonna rock. :D

Sturmgewehr
02-09-2002, 02:54 AM
Its a teaser trailer. Its supposed to be short.

I'm glad it jumped around. It showed several different things as opposed to longer clips on just a few things. Had it not jumped around, people would probably be complaining that it showed too much of one thing. No matter how perfect it could be, people would always complain.

If it had been longer or higher resolution, people would complain about the file size.

I thought the trailer was great, just the way it should be. A trailer's function is to show you alittle bit to get you more interested, to grab your attention, not give away information or go indepth with any details That's exactly what this trailer did.

CaptainRAVE
02-09-2002, 03:53 AM
I thought it was quite poor quality and didnt show the graphics very well. I would have liked a full screen trailer with some good quality. I did not vote for poor gameplay just because of the wall jump, because although it had its faults I dont think you can say anything about it until you have tried it in the game :)

wardz
02-09-2002, 05:36 AM
I find that over analysing anything devaules it. I have watched it twice only and thats enough for me. I have seen enough to see what it will be like, yet they haven't overdone it either...

good video chaps...

wardz

CaptainRAVE
02-09-2002, 05:44 AM
I havent analysed it........but I have watched it about 12 times already :)

GonkH8er
02-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Im guilty of watching it about 30 times.

X-Vector
02-09-2002, 06:22 AM
It's a shame I couldn't vote for multiple options, because both gripe 1 and 2 stick out IMO.

I think it's a clear mistake by Lucasarts to not offer the video in a high-res, high quality (stereo!) sound format for the non bandwidth impaired among us.
A measly 3.3MB might be OK for a simple "part 3 of a series of 5 short E3 gameplay movies", but certainly not for an official trailer that is supposed to 'sell' the game to as many people as possible, the fanboys as well as those not in the know.

Same goes for the in-game footage 'real estate', much of what's in the trailer looks really exciting, but it's over before you realise it.
Some of us DF enthusiasts will of course rewatch the vid multiple times and even flick through it frame by frame (although that would be a lot easier to do if it came in Bink format), but the average Joe will blink twice and miss half of the fun - especially because the introductory animation is so utterly forgettable that there is no real connectivity between foreplay and main course (*cough*).

What I would have liked to see is a (cutscene?) intermezzo which serves to give the viewers a moment or two to recover from the barrage of non-stop action and prepare them for the climax right after (*cough no. 2*).

I'm not that fond of repeating myself, but this is one of the reasons why the Duke Nukem Forever E3 vid worked so well IMO.
Lots of action -> a period of rest and build-up of atmosphere and tension -> grand finale -> 'secret' encore after the credits = score!

CaptainRAVE
02-09-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
Im guilty of watching it about 30 times.

I think I keep watching it so many times because of the music :)

I just wish theyd release a full screen version for people with a good connection or lots of time on their hands :)........Like me

Ushgarak
02-09-2002, 07:45 AM
I agree it should have been available in multiple download sizes for better quality. That is what Lucasfilm did with the AOTC trailers.

digl
02-09-2002, 10:49 AM
Im with X-Vector, options 1 and 2
Good idea making this poll Thunder, maybe LEC will take a look and understand that the second video they release should be a high quality video, showing several seconds of each lightsaber battle they show

CaptainRAVE
02-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Well there should be a low quality option for poor connections. But there MUST be an option for a high quality full screen version......unless they just want to release the demo instead :)

Darth Lunatic
02-09-2002, 11:00 AM
This thread has made me think about other game trailers. I've concluded that Blizzard make the best game trailers out of any other company. Although they don't show game footage, i believe the cinematography and directing of their 3d teasers is brilliant! Not only is the content great, but those videos using the Bink compression are the best i've seen.

All the Warcraft 3 trailers are amazing! The old Diablo 2 ones were also cool. I'd really love to see game companies doing that a little more.

CaptainRAVE
02-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Yup, the Starcraft trailer was amazing :)

X-Vector
02-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Darth Lunatic
Not only is the content great, but those videos using the Bink compression are the best i've seen.

Yeah, Bink is great and one of the best things about it is that you can convert every separate frame of such a video to a jpg file, using the (freeware) RAD Video Tools.
I just converted the DNF E3 vid to 4400 (!) 640x480 res jpgs, taking up about 400MB harddrive space, but it's worth it.
I'd love to have been able to do the same with the JO trailer.

Moses
02-09-2002, 06:01 PM
I said gameplay. I know, I know...:eyeraise:...The only thing I found wrong with it was the effect of the lightsaber on people. When the lightsaber passed through them, they didn't just crumple, they went flying. What was up with that? When the first Jedi got hit, he flew a good 6 meters away. There was nothing to make him do that. And right before the wall walk scene, a guy is slashed into a wall. He hit the wall with a TON of force. I don't understand where that came from.

You gotta understand, though, that I love this trailer a LOT. In fact, I've watched it almost as much as RAVE. I would have voted the perfect choice, but I can't get by the whole flying backward when hit with the saber thing. It should pass through, not carry you on the blade like a sword.

Silent_One
02-09-2002, 06:07 PM
The trailor was WAY too short! The quality could have been a little better too.

JPMaximilian
02-09-2002, 06:12 PM
I don't think we can complain to much, it could have been better, but it was still awesome. To directly contradict myself I think extended Saber Dueling was in order.

gamebooger
02-09-2002, 07:17 PM
what he said. :)

bsbuckeye21
02-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey LEC: Hire X-Vector for head video producer!

:D

MRJ
02-09-2002, 09:11 PM
there were no easily identifiable scotch bottle in the bar scene- I mean, c'mon, I can identify most good single malts from the back, at about 40 feet away (average distance from table to bar at the Opera House, my fav local restaurant) - WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?! WHAT HAPPEND TO THOSE REFERENCE BOTTLES I SENT THE ART DEPARTMENT?!?!? WHERE IS MY SCOTCH... :p

...erm, uh, never mind... ;)

Krayt Tion
02-09-2002, 09:19 PM
For this question, I'm gonna haveta go with what your last girlfriend said before you left her for the scotch: It was too short and poor quality.

no wait i am JUST KIDDING

Heckling the former-devs is an instaban!!!! ;)

Silent_One
02-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Just b/c no bottles were seen in the trailer, doesn't mean there weren't any.

Yodimus Prime
02-10-2002, 12:06 AM
To repeat myself, there was one single problem with this trailer that really really jumped out at me:

It wasn't the game.

Silent_One
02-10-2002, 12:11 AM
To repeat myself, there was one single problem with this trailer that really really jumped out at me:
What do you mean Prime?

Yodimus Prime
02-10-2002, 12:16 AM
I'll give you a hint: I don't have a signature, look down.

Silent_One
02-10-2002, 12:21 AM
I think I'm still missing something...:(

Yodimus Prime
02-10-2002, 01:56 AM
Ok. ok. I'll explain. Sheesh.

I making the comment that the only bad thing about the trailer was that the trailer, meaning the thing we can download, is not the game, meaning the thing we can play.

Comprendes?

Redwing
02-10-2002, 02:07 AM
I don't have anything personally to complain about in the trailer. For me, it was practically perfect---small enough to download fast on a 56K, yet with enough action to make me watch it like 50 times salivating :D ;)

Unfortunately...when I made my friends see it...it was too poor quality and went too fast for them to actually watch it :(

In other words, it's not the best trailer for a non-obsessed fan. (which rules out most of us---including me :D )

Naphtali
02-10-2002, 02:48 AM
The trailer was below expectations, but hey its so soon to release it doesn't matter.
I do have questions about some of the saber battles like will you be able to use all the moves without the mouse just configuring your controler to your taste. Also im anxious to find out more about the gameplay of the saber, and swicthing styles in time, also I want to see who all these saber wielders are, not all of them are force users but they wield the saber, it will be interesting to see who they follow.

2ndly I want to see if the saber combat isnt only movie like, but if the damage is too. Cut off the arm of lightsaber wielder will he run away, be too injured to fight like the moviess, of course if you get a deep chest shot or head slash will it be over immediately with ghoul it sounds likely, but I cant wait to play.
The dark followers will be interesting to fight the most

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Naphtali
and swicthing styles in time,

Well the Raven guy that posts on here said it can be changed quickly by the press of one key......I think it kind of cycles through the styles :)

Naphtali
02-10-2002, 04:59 AM
Has their been any news on the dark jedi, i mean why are their so many of them. Or are they just mercenies that are skilled with the saber, no hints thus far?

TUS_Tomcat
02-10-2002, 05:46 AM
From the Tosti interview, part 4:

Concerning new enemies

Reborn, people who have low level force powers and wield lightsabres against you. They're not boss quality, not that tough, but allows for some melee combat in the middle of missions.

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 05:48 AM
I think its a good idea. That way you can practice your lightsaber skills before you meet an amazing boss :)

TUS_Tomcat
02-10-2002, 05:57 AM
i thought we had BOTS for that? :)

But i like the concept, saber fighting rocks!

and the fact that stormies will watch! and its just during the level! In JK it was like, a lightsaber duel is a seperate level...

im REALLY hyped about all this!

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by TUS_Tomcat
i thought we had BOTS for that? :)

^Yes, we have those aswell to kill OVER and OVER again........that'll be so much fun.........but only if they have the Cloud City Gantry :)

Kurgan
02-10-2002, 06:36 AM
Well it was short.. and it did waste a lot of time with logos and titles instead of actual gameplay (as a friend of mine agreed).

It was grainy on my machine, and the sound was poor (on my machine).

But, I took it as more of a teaser.. it didn't seem as good as some of the proffessional looking trailers issued for other recent LEC games. It obvious was nice of LEC/Raven & Co to release it, and I enjoyed watching it, but it did leave much to be desired.

Yeah, it's nice it didn't give too much away, but still.... (and yes, I know, we're just talking about a video file here). They probably figured this is all they had time to whip up, and it was small, so it would save some bandwidth.

Incidentally, those low-level force/saber battles in the middle of missions sound a lot like the way MotS handled saber dueling... although there is something to be said for the dramatic quality a dedicated "saber arena" level has for single player. ; )

Also, I believe Obi-Wan was going to have this, with the "Sith Agents" I wonder what happened to that idea...

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan

Also, I believe Obi-Wan was going to have this, with the "Sith Agents" I wonder what happened to that idea...

It clearly got hacked like all the other ideas did.....and everyone complains that we have no respect for OBW :rolleyes:.....its hardly surprising since LEC let us down so much :mad:

TUS_Tomcat
02-10-2002, 07:29 AM
true, one level about a boss is also sweet... but im thinking the final boss(es :confused: ) might be a dedicated level

BTW, i also hope we can have GONK bots... would be good to practice your saber skills on those :):)

CaptainRAVE
02-10-2002, 07:31 AM
I hope the boss level is HUGE unlike the small JK one. I also hope it goes through multiple locations like the Luke + Vader battle in The Empire Strkes Back :D

X-Vector
02-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by X-Vector
Yeah, Bink is great and one of the best things about it is that you can convert every separate frame of such a video to a jpg file, using the (freeware) RAD Video Tools.
I just converted the DNF E3 vid to 4400 (!) 640x480 res jpgs, taking up about 400MB harddrive space, but it's worth it.
I'd love to have been able to do the same with the JO trailer.

Silly me, I just found out that it actually is possible to convert a Quicktime file using the RAD Video Tools.