PDA

View Full Version : Frag notification.

GonkH8er
02-16-2002, 01:18 AM
Alright, in the latest video, we see in the garden ruins MP map that when someone is killed with the lightsaber, it says for example (cant read it properly)

Cannon fodder was sabered by Tavien

it seems to be "sabered" all 3 times we see that happen. What kind of Frag or death notification would you like? I think sabered is fine for sabers, but some variety would be nice too. And then there's other weapons.

Are you hoping to see comical ones like "wardz was leeted by Vagabond's bryar", "Kurgan discovered Jedi cant fly" and "Chang Khan turned Dsbr_1337 into a cute little pile of ash"?

or are you hoping for more serious ones like "Aristotle killed Gary Gaber with the repeater"? Just basically telling who and with what.

personally, I'd prefer more comical ones, and lot's of them. Opinions?

[SWS]Strider
02-16-2002, 01:34 AM
My guess is they will be like EF. Which some of them I found semi-comical. I thought Phaser Burns was kind of funny. I don' t think it supposed ot be but it was. I personally love the funny ones such as "Strider was welded to the floor". I like the comments that aren't ROFL funny but just the ones that make you snicker.

Strider

Broode
02-16-2002, 01:37 AM
I prefer a large variety of comical ones, like "Saber Guy cut Broode into chop suey" and stuff.
I also like Half-Life's way, in the top right corner:

Saber Guy :saberb: Broode

Ill only prefer the comical messages if they dont get in the way of chat, like other games.

Obi
02-16-2002, 01:37 AM
<font color=cbcbff> Funny and serious. For example, before I had spent 5 years playing the game, I thought that "has become one with the force." was absolutely hilarious. Perhaps they could use more star wars plays on words to come up with some more serious but comical frag notifications. I think it would draw you away from the enviroment of the game if you saw "JO_ObiWan discovered that white Jedi can't jump." or something like that. It would be funnier to read things like: Tog_Hax0r_WD is not a jedi yet would be a cool one.

Redwing
02-16-2002, 02:14 AM
I want comical ones, but ones that don't detract from the SW atmosphere. IE no "leeted" or "chop suey" or stuff like that. I loved the Jedi Knight ones...

RedwingGreen7 has become one with the Force.

Dan-Re Seyah has become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

etc. :D The play on words thing was really funny; but it'd make you laugh when you wanted to, but it didn't stick out in such a way that it would annoy you when things got intense.

My request is that they keep JK style frag announcements but MORE of them. I want variety here! :D

WinterJedi
02-16-2002, 02:49 AM
I -really- want serious ones. Comical is not for me. :P It's all Jar-Jar all over again. Serious ones get my vote!

Cyclone
02-16-2002, 03:08 AM
Just think. Out there... Somewhere.. People are playing JKII Outcast Mulitplayer Right Now. Likely over the Internet too.

Cyclone.

GonkH8er
02-16-2002, 03:40 AM
I imagine nearly all of the games are over LAN, not internet at the moment.

The only net ones theyde be doing are to test the net code for bugs.

That, and having team games. Raven vs LEC :)

Kurgan
02-16-2002, 04:13 AM
Hmm.. here's an idea.. how about an optional announcer (a la Quake3/UT)?

Maybe get James Earl Jones to do the voice overs...

Hunter545
02-16-2002, 05:51 AM
I would prefer Half-Life's way as Broode said - much more readable. In JKI you didnt have time to read all the messages about kills and self-kills. In HL it is very easy to see who has been killed.
Just my thoughts..

TUS_Tomcat
02-16-2002, 06:06 AM
How about:

Kurgan unlearned what he had learned...

StormHammer
02-16-2002, 07:59 AM
I'd go for a mix of humourous and serious...with relevance to SW, as stated above. :)

An announcer might be fun too, either counting down frags...or UT style, telling you who is dominating, etc...

Dan12R
02-16-2002, 05:21 PM
I don't think I could care any less about this topic. Whatever, they do is fine for me.

Eternity
02-16-2002, 05:25 PM
'DeStroYer dove on his own grenade' always got me in Wolfenstein.

Agen
02-16-2002, 05:27 PM
I like Quake 1 style messages such as "QDel didn't enjoy the ride with Terminator's rocket"

Krak3n
02-16-2002, 05:46 PM
well to be hopnest i'm not that bothered, and sabered don't sound too bad.

"PlayName played catch with themself" is quite funny in Medal of Honor : Allied Assult when ppl get fragged by their own grenade.

lonepadawan
02-16-2002, 06:09 PM
*name* has met their destiny.
That sounds ok.
Only *Killers name* is so acurate against *dead blokes name* (when killed with a stormtrooper rifle)
*Killers name* finds *Dead blokes name* lack of faith disturbing (When choked)

Moses
02-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Killed by another:

*Moses would not defer, so CaptainRAVE killed him
*Moses smashed Nemios into who knows what
*Moses showed GonkH8er the true power of the Force
*[SWS]Strider frightened Moses with his sorcerer's way

Suicides:

*Moses was a Jedi like his father before him
*Moses sees a city in the clouds

Who wins (if it's to a certain amount of frags/timed/CTF)

*TUS_Tomcat is now the ultimate power in the universe

Thrawn
02-16-2002, 07:31 PM
I'd like funny ones and some serious. Most should be Star Wars related, but if a couple weren't that'd be ok.

Somewhere, a Raven guy is writing all of these down to use:D

Krayt Tion
02-16-2002, 08:10 PM
The 'frag notification' of JK was just one of those little touches that made the game a classic.

All death notfications were given from a believer in the force's perspective, when you think about it. That was fine by me, but this time around maybe we can have some other distinctive non-jedi elements of the Star Wars ethos apparent in death.

That's the key, though- incorporating notable parts of the SW ethos into the death system of the mp game is where it's at. I'm all for healthy doses of Teh Funny too, so long as it is Teh SW Funny.

Belgirion
02-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Id rather have comical ones like

"Belgirion's last thought "Nnoooooo!"
"Belgirion, throw the grenade, not the pin!"
"Belgirion discovered that falling hurts"
and
"Belgirion reduced Bill to atoms"

dazilla
02-16-2002, 10:59 PM
I think that with LucasArts' legacy with humor games, they'll put in some really nice ones. And strider, I also liked the phaser burns and welded ones. I don't want outright ROFL funny, and I don't want serious, and I DEFINITELY don't want Jar-Jar humor. But, nice, sarcastic punchlines are really interesting.

Wilhuf
02-16-2002, 11:26 PM
We should be able to write our own custom death messages, if an SDK is released. Possibly even without an SDK. May be a simple edit to an existing text file database of death messages.

Sturmgewehr
02-16-2002, 11:31 PM
It's really easy to edit them in Medal of Honor, I wouldn't think JK II would be any different.

Renzo
02-17-2002, 02:11 AM
Renzo turned *GonkH8er* into bantha poodoo.

TUS_Tomcat
02-17-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Moses
*TUS_Tomcat is now the ultimate power in the universe

how about: TUS_Tomcat has crushed them all, he, is your master now...

GonkH8er
02-17-2002, 04:16 AM
Why am I the recipient of so many of these deaths? :)

StephenG
02-17-2002, 04:43 AM
i hope that they do have the funny death things but i also hope they have the

StephenG :mob: etc

Broode
02-17-2002, 05:55 AM
Yeah, an option to switch between the amusing but tough to read in a firefight ones (GonkH8er fatally embarreses Broode with his pea shooter (are you happy now gonk? :) )) and the more functional but less interesting ones (GonkH8er :charric: Broode (now I feel left out... :( )) would be welcome.

TUS_Tomcat
02-17-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
Why am I the recipient of so many of these deaths? :)

Well you see, not EVERYONE hates Gonks...

:p ;)

dazilla
02-17-2002, 06:14 PM
I DO!!! (well, except for that one in MOTS that gives you access to the secret)

Eternity
02-17-2002, 06:29 PM
...I DEFINITELY don't want Jar-Jar humor.

Who, when it gets down to it, does?

Oh, and Gonks rule.

Wacky_Baccy
02-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by dazilla
I DO!!! (well, except for that one in MOTS that gives you access to the secret)
I despise the little sods - even that one.
One time, I had to wait literally minutes before he climbed the ramp, and opened that door :mad:

I got my own back, though... When he'd repeated his movements again (down and up), I hopped on to the ramp, and dropped a proximity-set Sequencer for him to negotiate on his next journey down :D

That taught the little bugger who's boss. ;)

Redwing
02-17-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't want stuff you'd see in "normal" games like ""Belgirion reduced Bill to atoms" or ''DeStroYer dove on his own grenade"...I want stuff that's out of the ordinary---Star Wars!! Some of the ideas in this thread are excellent, I hope Raven devs are reading this :D :D :D

Renzo
02-18-2002, 01:04 AM
How could i ever hate GonkH8er? He gives us all this cool info. i merely wanted to share my message. how about:

-Falling/Suicide-
*Renzo* gave in to hate.
*Renzo* is afraid.
*Renzo* just joined Old Ben.
*Renzo* is not as brave as he thought.

-Gun/Blaster-
*Renzo* realizes there's nothing like a good blaster in his face.

-Any sort of exploding weapon, though gibbing isn't in JO-
*Renzo* made like Alderaan.

Kurgan
02-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Voice taunts and animations?

Now I'm not saying for a minute that the Raven team needs to pull a Carmack and put in 200 pages of bot text, but it would be cool to have some "themes" for taunts.

I mean after I'd played the game for awhile, I'd probably opt for the humorous, semi-relevant quotes, but while I was playing serious games or just learning how to play, I'd want precise info (who killed me, with what weapon) at a glance, and not having to guess what part of the movies the joke was referring to, in a split second.

The JK system was fine though... I hope the death animations are more varied (for MP).

Redwing
02-18-2002, 08:26 PM
I agree...but I don't see why humorous taunts couldn't be used at least for suicides like in JK...