PDA

View Full Version : JKII should be fine w/a keyboard and mouse

JediArs
02-16-2002, 05:45 PM
There was an earlier thread about weather there will be a gamepad option or not. I played JKI with a mouse and keyboard and it was great. Especially the mouse. It is best for 3-D shooting games. Who neds a gamepad. Plus, You would need a gamepad with A LOT of buttons to get a smooth experience.:rolleyes:

ElitePootZ
02-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Yeah dude, I think that the only games that need gamepads are either ... Video games, hehe, or flight sims. Rogue Squadron and Starfighter are awesome with the Sidewinder :D

StephenG
02-17-2002, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by ElitePootZ
Yeah dude, I think that the only games that need gamepads are either ... Video games, hehe, or flight sims. Rogue Squadron and Starfighter are awesome with the Sidewinder :D

Lucasarts wrote support for force feedback for RS but not for starfighter. why?

Yeah, jk2 will work with a keyboard and mouse. i only use me controller (logitech wingman rumblepad) for flight games.

CaptainRAVE
02-17-2002, 04:03 AM
I remember in the early days of JK using a joystick for some reason (and dont ask how I did it because I cant remember)......these days I use Keyboard and mouse and assign everything to individual keys so that my whole keyboard is full. Its much easier with a Keyboard and mouse...

Note : I stopped using a joystick 4-5 years ago :D

digl
02-17-2002, 07:48 PM
I agree keyboard and mouse should be fine, but there is excentric people, who manages to be good with strange configurations they like more than keyboard and mouse

Vagabond are you there? :D

OnlyOneCanoli
02-17-2002, 07:52 PM
a.k.a. Bionic Gaming Man. ;)

Of course it'll be fine with just a keyboard/mouse. It's an FPS, and the vast majority find them easier to play with a keyboard/mouse (including myself).

Belgirion
02-17-2002, 11:25 PM
I used to play JK with just a keyboard. Then I got half-life and discovered the advantages of having both a keyboard & mouse. Can't remember how I survived in MP with just my keyboard config

Virtuoso
02-17-2002, 11:57 PM
I am the guy that started that gamepad thread. I prefer the comfort. The lay back in a recliner and have my arms tucked in a comfortable position instead of streatched out and upright. The keyboard/Mouse is fine, but I think of gamepads as "MINI-Keyboards". To each his or her own. I just want an option.............it appears there will be one, good news for all concerned. It is 1st/3rd person so gamepads are perfect when in 3rd person perspective.

I know I know I march to the beat of a different drummer..........;) :D

Obi
02-18-2002, 02:07 AM
<font color=cbcbff> I very much hope that Raven will include joystick support. I use a combination of left-handed keyboard and mouse and right handed joystick. This is considered odd by most but it is actually quite effective. Though I'm skilled with keyboard and mouse, with this control combination I am a master. I'll be really disappointed if I can't use it in JK II.(I really hope no one replies to this saying I'm a "n00b" and I just haven't learned to use keyboard and mouse yet. I'm not a newbie, I've been playing this game for longer than I care to admit, and this is my preferred control)

digl
02-18-2002, 11:50 AM
How many hands do you have ?:eek:

Can you explain your configuration a bit?

Lt. Durden
02-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Wait. So you use the keyboard AND the mouse with your left hand? And the right hand for your joystick? DAMN! That's an impressive config. A little difficult for those of us with only 1 left and right hand.......

Silent_Thunder
02-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Am I the only one that uses a trackball and keyboard? Or are you guys considering a trackball to be a mouse?

digl
02-18-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Lt. Durden
Wait. So you use the keyboard AND the mouse with your left hand? And the right hand for your joystick? DAMN! That's an impressive config. A little difficult for those of us with only 1 left and right hand.......
My guess is the keyb and the joystick with the left hand

I think the trackball can be considered as a mouse
but dont you kill your finger playing with that thing?

Naphtali
02-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Virturoso I was the one that supported the idea, I rather it be compatible with game controllers, because its more comfortiable and fitting, in certain situations it is the best since you can decide wether or not to have the whole game 3 person and not...(before one of you outsmart yourself, yes they have a saber auto camera but like Jediknight you can select ot have the whole game played in 3rd).
Next the sidewinder gamepad, or especially the dual strike will work great. Besides many idiotic peoples forget the keyboard and mouse still function even if it is set to the controller, so although their wont be a button missing it wouldn't be a big deal anyway.
Sorry this thread was a waste of space, but raven will make both compatible.

ZePhyR
02-18-2002, 10:38 PM
I used to use a gamepad, until I became interested in the wonderful world of Guns. If all you play is sabers, gamepad is fine, but if you play guns, you have to be able to move and look around quickly.

Silent_Thunder
02-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Actually digl, I use my thumb for the track ball, so it's alot more comfortable.

sanpilou
02-19-2002, 08:06 PM
how could it be not fine with a keyboard and mouse?????

Frumpus
02-20-2002, 02:59 AM
Obi, I'm right there with you!

I use a Logitech mouse in my left hand, and my Logitech Wingman Interceptor joystick in my right for ALL of my games. If games don't support my joystick, I CAN use my Wingman Profiler, but it's less reliable and it wastes resources

The advantage of keyboard/mouse config over just a gamepad, is use of the analog axes (2 axis) of the mouse (= much more precision). With mouse AND joystick, I get FOUR ANALOG axes (mouse for looking, joystick for moving/strafing). This allows me to use both wrists for controls, instead of just one for the mouse - freeing up fingers to do press other buttons (9 buttons, 3 eight-way POV hats, for a total of 33 programable functions, plus shifts assignments, Plus the two more axes, PLUS my mouse). Needless to say, there a few times in few gait's a rarity that I ever need to touch the keyboard. This for me is by FAR the most precise way to move and aim, though most people who watch me do it say, "How do you do that? That must make it harder to control." Nope.

I REALLY hope they include option joystick/gamepad setups - the way the original JK setup controls was SO way ahead of its time! I hate using the keyboard at any time for ANY games (a necessity for chat, though). It concerns me that the most RECENT games I like (i.e. Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault) have totally removed joystick integration. In fact, I'll have a hard time buying OUtcast at all if they choose not to include it!

Wacky_Baccy clued found some info that has relieved me: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32328&highlight=frumpus

Agen
02-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Hehe, I still have controls for my keyboard and mouse which i will never tell. They're great as hell and i use it for all games. Strange how i can combine all games into one controller. including GTA series fps, flying, racing and any other god damn game you can think of! except black and white.

Jinn Tar-Nesh
02-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Really??!! You don't say ??...Really Really?? WOOOW...-I was being sarcastic:)

thrEEpaGe
02-20-2002, 10:18 AM
With mouse AND joystick, I get FOUR ANALOG axes (mouse for looking, joystick for moving/strafing).

actually, thats not THAT good of an idea, because the keyboard offers many more bindable keys....with a joystick, you can strafe and turn and such just fine, but you do run out of programmable buttons, and some of them are inaccessable in time critical applications (as in a 8x8 DM or other intensive game, such as an RTS)

my challenge to you is: play ff jk with only the joystick/mouse and try to win =)

keyboard/mouse ownz mouse/joystick IMO (not necessarily in ALL settings, but kb/mouse is more versatile)

Silent Wolf
02-20-2002, 01:56 PM
back in the day i only played cs with keyboard and it pwned, but then i started getting arthritis (inherited) so im forced to use a mouse and keyboard combo. Im not sure i see the advantage of using a gamepad ...wouldnt that decrease the ammont of buttons you have available to you? just curious i have never used a gamepad on my computer. I use it on my ps2 ;)

Sithcloak
02-20-2002, 02:44 PM
I played X-wing alliance with my joystick, but i broke it when i started playing JK. (it was a 15 buck joystick. wasn't heart broken.) So i used my mouse and keyboard and realized that it is 100 times more effective.

Sithcloak

Jyt-Pon Dai'el
02-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Sorry in advance for the long post, but please read it... you too could have gaming bliss...

Up until recently, I've used the mouse/keyboard config. I still use a mouse, but I've replaced the keyboard with a Microsoft Sidewinder "Strategic Commander". Microsoft was stupid to market this thing just for strategy games because it's the bomb for FPS too! For those of you who aren't familiar with it, check out this link: http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/devices/SComm/default.asp.

Its a left-handed controller with 6 buttons X 3 shift buttons X 3 switchable profiles = 72 programmable buttons, right at your fingertips!! Plus, character movement (move forward/back + strafing) can be controlled by moving the whole controller around. This might sound complicated, but it feels completely natural. You can also asign keystrokes/macros to any of the buttons on-the-fly.

The only thing I don't like is that the movement controls aren't analog. But they're not analog on a keyboard anyway, so its not that big of a deal. In addition to moving the controller, you can also twist it, which I assign to walk toggle, so that makes it kind of like using an analog controller.

I highly recommend picking one of these up. I don't think they're too expensive anymore. Besides, if you don't like it you can always return it, and get your money back.

My config:

Right hand:
MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (5 buttons + mouse-wheel + it's optical)

Left hand:
MS Sidewinder Strategic Commander (72 buttons + movement control)

Headset:
MS Sidewinder Game Voice (Voice Recognition + Chat)

Collecting Dust:
Keyboard ;)

I know I must sound like a Microsoft fanboy, but I'm really just as generally annoyed by them as the next guy. I'm usually very happy with their sidewinder stuff though.

Imp Destroyer
02-20-2002, 06:29 PM
i admit the Stratigic Command is cool, the profiler is a little weak compared to the Saitek Smart Technology Programming Software, that thing is so power full that it can profile the controller to be used in you Internet Explorer with no additional software
as to that 4-axis, i have 6-axis on my joystick, it's a Saitek X45.. i think that I should give you the url so you can check their site
http://www.saitek.com/
hehe, eat this Microsoft!!!!!

Frumpus
02-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Lol, this could go on forever.

I won't try to "force" my opinion on anyone (i.e. "these AREN'T the droids we're looking for," ;)

My point was, with as many programmable controls as I have available to me with the mouse + joystick setup, I simply don't need to use anything from the keyboard - except for chat. 8-way POV1 is inventory/view modes, POV2 is weapons, POV3 is force powers. Along with the rest of the joystick buttons, mouse buttons, and axes, it's a done deal: FullForce is SO NOT a problem!

A couple of my friends use the Strategic Comm., and really like it - sounds great, but I'd have a hard time giving up analog movement for those games that can utilize it.

The ONLY joystick that could maybe dethrone my trusty Wingman Interceptor is MAYBE the Saitech X45 H.O.T.A.S. Flight controller. http://www.avsim.com/pages/1001/saitek_x45/saitek_x-45.html http://www.maximum3d.com/reviews/x45.htm (Drool, Drool!) Yet I'm not sure if I could patch my rudder pedals through it, and I'll wait for one that includes force feedback also.

Graphicsgod
02-20-2002, 11:39 PM
I don't quite car for Mircoshaft either, but they'er products are usually better quality then the competition. My keyboard and mouse are both Mircosoft. Jyt-Pon Dai'el, I might have to look into this "Strategic Commander", thanks for the heads up.

psycoglass
02-21-2002, 12:22 AM
I just used the keyboard for JK1 cause the mouse just felt really weird and it was like it was really fast. I don't know it was just odd.

Imp Destroyer
02-21-2002, 08:45 AM
i too used to use the keyboard in JKI, then i switched to a joystick with pedel emulation by twist, and i got even better after i got used to it, i still use the mouse for sniping though, a lot more precision i will admit, but not comfortable for regular gameplay

[edit] the x-45 is killer, and i think is beefier than microshaft joysticks, except the trottle's shaft, it could stand to be reinforced
i dunno about patching the rudder pedels, but i think you can, maybe you should ask around, especially the tech supports for both your rudder pedel manufacturer and Saitek

Sturmgewehr
02-21-2002, 09:22 AM
Microsoft makes pretty good keyborads/mice, but they are no match for Logitech. I used to work at a computer store, so we got to mess with everything on the market (we had to set up demos for new stuff).

My Logitech cordless keyboard is great. I can take it into the other room, shut the door, and it will still read the keys. The other cordless keyboards I've messed with had a range of about 2 feet max before they started missing keystrokes. The cordless mouse that came with my keyboard (which has been replaced by Logitech's new Dual Optical mouse) was the same way. I could take it across the house and it would still read my mouse. All the other cordless mice I've used had a range of about 1 foot, then they'd stop reading the mouse.

All the interface devices I have are Logitech and I wouldn't have it any other way.

JaG|Kaiser
02-21-2002, 12:43 PM
I only knew of one great player that used mouse/joystick for JK. Just about every other player I knew of either played with mouse/KB or KB only. I can't see how you'd get any sort of accuracy with a gamepad. The always seemed to be pretty flaky for FPS on the consoles. I can see the mouse/joystick, provided you aren't playing FF of any kind. However, mouse/KB seems to be the best setup. You have enough accessible keys for all the controls needed.

Agen
02-21-2002, 12:47 PM
I use all 4 limbs for fps games.

CaptainRAVE
02-21-2002, 01:21 PM
^:rolleyes:..and I thought I was weird......LMAO

Imp Destroyer
02-21-2002, 01:21 PM
with the X-45, i have a 3-way mode switch and shift switch, that allows me to up to 6 different "features" for the buttons, as well as the 4 pov hat switches, i could easily do FF with my joystick!

Agen
02-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Left leg for speed and right leg for jump (pedals)

StAtilXl
02-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ZePhyR
I used to use a gamepad, until I became interested in the wonderful world of Guns. If all you play is sabers, gamepad is fine, but if you play guns, you have to be able to move and look around quickly.

what r u talking about? just keyboard is not fine
name one elite person who justs uses keyboard :rolleyes:

JaG|Kaiser
02-21-2002, 11:01 PM
:cool:

Obi
02-22-2002, 12:35 AM
<font color=cbcbff> Oops, I guess I made it sound like I'm some wierd freak the way I explained my combo. It's mostly joystick and mouse. But with my left hand, I hit the buttons on the keyboard when necessary. That's where I have most of my weapon selection and force controls(in JK). Then my joystick has all of my movement controls. The only weapon selection I have on the stick is a button for lightsaber on and fists.

Naphtali
02-22-2002, 06:54 AM
THIS thread has gotten well out of hand for nothing, the point is that they will have variable configuartions to the users taste

JaG|Kaiser
02-22-2002, 08:42 AM
The sig was taken from Master P's "Phat Rhymes and Shizzle, yo."

Minimaul
02-22-2002, 11:20 AM
You mean, you can use other things besides a mouse and keyboard? Intresting......

Agen
02-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Actually this thread was pointless. I mean of course it's gonna be fine with a mous and keyboard. but it was fun :)

StormHammer
02-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Actually, this thread was not pointless. :)

If nothing else, it has introduced some gamers to some other controllers and controller configurations that they may never have considered using for JKII (or any other game for that matter). I think it's great to read about other people's set-ups, and their strengths and weaknesses...because there may be something in there that could assist in your own gaming enjoyment. ;)

Personally I bit the bullet and invested in a Strategic Commander (at Christmas time...not because of this thread), and I too have tried it with some FPS games. I find it better for use in the SP part of a game. For MP (against bots at the moment), it is not quite as responsive as the keyboard for movement - because you physically have to move it to go backwards/forwards/side-to-side. This introduces a fractional delay over simply pressing w,a,s,d or whatever key configuration you use. I'm sure with a bit more practice I'll become a bit more proficient with it, but at the moment I'm not using it for Unreal Tournament.

Access to 3 sets of 24 functions at your fingertips is a major bonus...although I found you can't press 2 buttons at the same time (to run and jump, for example), which is a minus. However, it all depends how you configure it - if you have run as default, and press a button to walk, it's not such a problem. Nevertheless, not being able to press 2 buttons simultaneously does require you to think carefully how you program it... and which functions you then assign to your mouse buttons. On the plus side, again...you can assign multiple key presses to a single button (run + jump didn't work, though ;) ), so theoretically I should be able to go into Force Speed, change to a weapon of choice, and eat my packed lunch all at the same time. :D

Of course, you still have the keyboard available to fall back on if things get a bit too intense...

I'm now wondering if I should be looking at a set of pedals... ;)