PDA

View Full Version : Which difficulty setting?

Moses
02-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Which difficulty setting are you planning to play first. In the PC gamer article it said there would be 4: Rookie, Jedi, Jedi Adept, and Jedi Master. It immediately after said that you would have to be insane to play the first time on Rookie as you would not get as much out of the game. Now when I play a FPS I normally start on either easy or normal the first time, but I've been thinking since this article that maybe that's not the best way. Could someone more experienced in this sort of thing give me some heads up? Which difficulty setting is the best to start on?

James
02-19-2002, 08:57 PM
I normally play the first mission in easy mode for most games to get used to the controls. (unless there is a training mission, then I stick with normal)

But since the controls are really basic in FPS games I go for normal mode so that when I beat it I am not used to crappy AI and don't suck against other players.

SlowbieOne
02-19-2002, 09:04 PM
I always play a game on the default difficulty first, usually normal. Then play through it on a harder difficulty the next time. Normal is usually perfect the first time because easy is always too easy in every game, and hard can be frustrating if you are new to it.

I'm assuming the default will be Jedi, so that would be the one I would play first.

MercenaryI{aos
02-19-2002, 09:20 PM
Is this right?
Jedi= normal
Jedi Adept= hard
Jedi Master= Expert
?

OnlyOneCanoli
02-19-2002, 09:23 PM
That's what I would get.

Although I usually play games on the medium difficulty the first time through, I think I'm gonna start this game off with hard.

Redwing
02-19-2002, 09:44 PM
I'll probably start with the default difficulty. Unless it's Rookie...

Justus
02-20-2002, 08:40 AM
For some strange reason I always go on the hardest difficulties, then I go backwards just to see how easy the others are.

Agen
02-20-2002, 08:49 AM
I will go for unbelievably hard setting :vadar:. So i will have experience and know how to beat people on the net.
If You think about it most of us here will get the game first and possibly get one hell of a reputation.

Rogue15
02-20-2002, 09:01 AM
I'll prolly go with Jedi Adept.

Proto
02-20-2002, 09:23 AM
I'll definitely start at jedi master difficulty. Raven is known of making rather "easy medium diff. levels", e.g. Elite Force at normal setting was pretty easy and short. I want to get everythink JO will offer.

T-Dogg
02-20-2002, 09:37 AM
I think Jedi Adept is the right one for me.

Rogue15
02-20-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Proto
I'll definitely start at jedi master difficulty. Raven is known of making rather "easy medium diff. levels", e.g. Elite Force at normal setting was pretty easy and short. I want to get everythink JO will offer.

I played elite force on normal that was easy...I can't beat the end boss tho cause it takes too long to load it, and i constantly die cause of the framerate...

That's why I'll start at jedi adept.

thrEEpaGe
02-20-2002, 10:21 AM
i laugh at all of the people who can't play first person shooters on hard difficulty....after virtually any time of playing COMPETITIVELY in any fps, you will laugh too at the sheer pathetic tendencies of ALL AI....i can go through lets say...JK guns levels without getting shot once....you learn to avoid shots, to use tactics...compared to the dynamicism of deathmatches, the ai is no match..

thrEEpaGe
02-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
I will go for unbelievably hard setting :vadar:. So i will have experience and know how to beat people on the net.
If You think about it most of us here will get the game first and possibly get one hell of a reputation.

agen im sorry to disappoint you, but if you think beating the game on hard is qualification enough to be good @ MP, you should play MP DMz =) that will teach you a bit of a lesson heh

Rogue_Ace
02-20-2002, 10:34 AM
I'll probly go with Jedi Adapt just to get a feel of the game first then switch to something more difficult during the game (do you think you can do that in the middle of a game?)

Kx_Dra_Sycdan
02-20-2002, 11:11 AM
jedi master

Swoosh
02-20-2002, 11:31 AM
I think I'll do jedi master at first and try a few levels to see if I think I can beat the game on that setting. I used to play on the easy setting first, but I don't usually play a game over after I beat it because I usually go onto multiplayer by that time. Playing on the hardest setting will give me the greatest challenge and the most satisfaction after I beat the game. That is unless I get too frustrated, and in that case, I'll just drop down a difficulty setting.

Swoosh

Lord Chief
02-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Ill definitely play at the hardest setting: more and tougher enemies to kill thus prolonging the gamingexperience.

Sithcloak
02-20-2002, 12:11 PM
I want to get the most out of it without going insane so i will probley go with Jedi Adapt.

Sithcloak

thrEEpaGe
02-20-2002, 12:20 PM
in my case, if i want to play the game without wanting to kill raven for making it too easy, i will have to play on jedi master difficulty....fortunately, when that proves to be simple, multiplayer will be my peace.

Jinn Tar-Nesh
02-20-2002, 12:26 PM
You're right..it's best to play at the hardest level...More Fun and you're really satisfied after finishing the game..(Hey!Maybe after finishing the game on the hardest level somethere will be some bonuses.extras available etc.. That would be great!)

db6
02-20-2002, 12:29 PM
I would start playing it at "Jedi Adept" so that I would experience as much as possible the "real" feel of fighing a saber fight with another Jedi/Sith. There is also the advantage of having more people to point your blaster at.

Agen
02-20-2002, 12:36 PM
agen im sorry to disappoint you, but if you think beating the game on hard is qualification enough to be good @ MP, you should play MP DMz =) that will teach you a bit of a lesson heh

Hush, explain how i got used to jk mp so quickly then :cool:
I'm a gunner so i'm not talknig about sabers.

CaptainRAVE
02-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by James
I normally play the first mission in easy mode for most games to get used to the controls. (unless there is a training mission, then I stick with normal)

Luckily (or not for some) for us Raven have left the training missions until about the 4th level :D

I'll probably play it maximum difficulty from the beginning. I did with Elite Force, so I dont see any problem here. To put it on easy would be pointless....even PC Gamer said that easy made the game less fun :D

Justus
02-20-2002, 04:22 PM
In Jedi Knight I really couldn't tell that much of a difference in the difficulties. I played it on the hard setting, and the only thing I noticed was the lack of shield, health, ammo, and bacta packs throughout the levels. They also added a few more enemies in certain spots, but other than that it seemed like it took about the same amount of shots to kill the enemies, and for them to kill you. The lack of power ups wasn't that big of a problem, especially once you know where all the secret areas are.

Moses
02-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Yeah I see what you are saying Justus, the difficulty wasn't that different in JK, but I bet it will be a big difference from Rookie to Jedi Master. I bet there will be a big difference from Rookie to Jedi, not so much from Jedi to Jedi Adept, and a HUGE difference from Jedi Adept to Master. After reading your posts and thinking about it, I want to know the story too much to just kill myself over and over again. Therefore I think I will vote Jedi Adept.

Agen
02-20-2002, 04:56 PM
I never tried anything other than hard in jk.

Justus
02-20-2002, 08:51 PM
I usually go backwards, I go on the hardest difficulty and go back for some reason... I still have no idea why I do this. But one thing I do know, that once you play multiplayer single player becomes a breeze, especially after you learn new tactics and learn from others on-line.

Belgirion
02-20-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna play on adept for the first level or two to get a feel for the controls...then I'll start over on master. I always like to play on the hardest difficulty it more entertaining and you feel more satisfied once you've beaten it.

Redwing
02-21-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by thrEEpaGe
i laugh at all of the people who can't play first person shooters on hard difficulty....after virtually any time of playing COMPETITIVELY in any fps, you will laugh too at the sheer pathetic tendencies of ALL AI....i can go through lets say...JK guns levels without getting shot once....you learn to avoid shots, to use tactics...compared to the dynamicism of deathmatches, the ai is no match..

If you've only played against AI the quality of Jedi Knight, I think you'll be in for a surprise in JKII.

BTW, with JK MP, with all its glorious lag, I'd be surprised if I got hit by anything that didn't have splash damage. :rolleyess

I'd like to know what separates the difficulty levels; if it's just less ammo and more enemies like in Jedi Knight or something more "sophisticated"... and if Raven makes games like R15 says, I'll probably choose Jedi Adept or Jedi Master...

CorranHornjr
02-21-2002, 02:06 AM
I am going to play it at jedi adept. Because I know I will be playing this game alot more than just once. So you can have a new suprise atleast the second time you play it...thats my vote. Plus I hear this AI is pretty tough, so it might be better to start a little less then normal to get used to the lightsaber and how the AI works.

Thats my vote...I want to hear Gonk's.

GUNNER
02-21-2002, 02:34 AM
Probably go at Normal the first time. Hate to go at it as an uber jedi and get smoked so bad I end up quiting..

Lord Slart
02-21-2002, 05:50 AM
I will probably go Jedi Adept on the first run through just to see the story quicker. I would hate to get killed again and again by some suped up Jedi AI and slow down the progress and flow of the game. But if it's too easy or I get used to the level of difficulty I will switch up to Master providing they allow switching during SP games. But I am most looking forward to getting into MP as I have had little to no experience in MP FPS and I will want to play this game online especially seing as I have cable modem it would be stupid not to.

The Truthful Liar
02-21-2002, 05:58 AM
What he said -------^ :D

Cheers ;)

txa1265
02-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Of course, for most players, it will matter what scale the difficulty actually translates to ... I have found the defaults on Elite Force a bit easy for the most part, and on RtCW and MoH:AA to be reasonable.

However, I'm just a normal gamer, not some deity like thrEEpaGe who is either so tremendous a player or such an immature, full of sh*t geek that he feels the need to not only post three times in *this* thread to boast how 'all FPS sux, I rulez' - let alone how he does it in all other gameplay related threads, but also to put down anyoen who can't play on hard settings and have a sig calling peolpe losers ... but I forgot, MP gaming (for some) isn't about enjoying the story and immersing yourself in the gameplay and strategy, but trashing others ...

Personally, I'm pretty good - not great - but I still get shot in JK ... hell I get shot in Dark Forces and Doom ... I'll go somewhere in the middle and really try to enjoy the game - not just shooting but the environs and story.

Mike

Lord Slart
02-21-2002, 07:24 AM
_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

Totally agree we could do without sad egotistical people like thrEEpaGe that just post to try to boost their pathetic ego. Some people play the game to enjoy it and are not out there to proove anything about their gameplay expertise. What level difficulty you choose in the SP game does not indicate any skill level in MP. Sometimes you might find a human opponent easier than an AI opponent especially with the sophistication of AI scripting getting better and better. There is no doubt that an AI bot can be programmed with perfect accuracy skills which is impossible for a human. So we'll have to wait and see how good the guys at Raven are at programming the AI.

Lord Chief
02-21-2002, 07:49 AM
As I recall correctly Raven made two people in the development work fulltime on the AI. These are also some of the AI routines that were/will be used in SoF2.

I personally think we can be pretty sure the AI of the Sith Lords well have to face in SP aswell as teh bots in MP will be quite good. Have a little faith :)

thrEEpaGe
02-21-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Hush, explain how i got used to jk mp so quickly then :cool:
I'm a gunner so i'm not talknig about sabers.

i own j00 in guns =) heh i dunno bout that, but do you play ji or mo2?