PDA

View Full Version : Box size?

TheJackal
02-23-2002, 08:08 AM
I'm curious to what the box size will be. For example, will it be like Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault (compact size) or like the original JediKnight (too big with allmost nothing inside).

I hope LEC ships it with the smaller box. Why? I just looks better. I dont know why but I just think it makes sence to send it in a small box if all you have is a CD jewl case and instructions manual not any bigger then the jewl case.

Eternity
02-23-2002, 08:12 AM
I would think they would go with the normal cases (as it looks in the pics of it) but I'm rooting for the smaller ones due to economic reasons.

Agen
02-23-2002, 08:13 AM
As long as i get the game i don't care :D

L3onheart
02-23-2002, 08:14 AM
I believe that most of, if not all, game companies now ship and sell their games using the DVD-Casing style.

I bought 2 games from Amazon.co.uk already (same place i pre-ordered my JKII copy) and they both came in a DVD-casing style.

OnlyOneCanoli
02-23-2002, 08:30 AM
I love the new small boxes. They're great, they take up less room. I'm all for it.

nu||ifier
02-23-2002, 08:57 AM
I wonder......

CaptainRAVE
02-23-2002, 09:02 AM
They will use the new style boxes (the smaller ones). I have only seen about three games that still use the old boxes. I prefer the new boxes as they are more compact and act as both the CD case and the manual holder :D

T-Dogg
02-23-2002, 09:46 AM
The box doesn't matter to me that much really, but if I could choose, I'd take the old one. Why? Because of the regular CD case. I have this tower where I keep my game CD's in, so the regular case would serve me better. The manuals I keep in my drawer. But the DVD-style cases aren't bad either, it's just that they don't fit in my CD tower.

Agen
02-23-2002, 10:27 AM
I also have a CD-Tower and i just dump all my dvd cases in my drawer

Dan12R
02-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Personally, I perfer the DVD style. I'd perfer JO on DVD if it's going to take more than 1 disc. But anyways, for those who do have towers, just scan the front and back of the case and get an empty jewel case and make your own JO case. As a matter of fact, for those who do worry about this, get the picture of the box and some screen shots, and make your OWN JEDI OUTCAST CD JEWEL CASE! It will be great fun and a good way to pass the time from now until the game comes out. You can even use it to reserve a spot in your tower for JO for when it DOES come out!

Syko
02-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Yeah, or...make your own jewel case, find a blank CD or one you don't need anymore, make a JO CD label and put it on. Then, put the CD in the case. Make sure the text on the "binding" of the CD case is large and readable. Now, put it in your CD tower and wait. When friends come over, they'll be like "Hey! You have JKII! How'd you get that?" You can decide what to do from here, but depending on how much you like the person, you could sell it to them :) hehehe

SlowbieOne
02-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Well, at my local EB, they have a few JK2 boxes on display, and they are the new small style, so that would be my guess.

CaptainRAVE
02-23-2002, 11:54 AM
I went to my local EB to pre order it and the shop was being referbished. Hopefully soon it will re-open :D.........I dont want to go to all the other few hundred PC shops in town :rolleyes:..I want EB!!!!!!!:mad:

Krayt Tion
02-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Well, the new boxes have less potential to wow me with their cover art like boxes of old have done. I imagine the people who care most about this are those who collect nice computer game boxes (that, and shoplifters). I'll tell you this, if they tried to make my glorious old SkyNet computer box with the smaller standards it would not have been nearly as impressive.

Neonix
02-23-2002, 01:00 PM
My personal oppinion is, that they should do a big original box like JKI that is much cooler cus i thinkg original beats dvd case

but thats my two cents

B0MBER II
02-23-2002, 01:03 PM
the special edition comes in a tin right?

T-Dogg
02-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Why did I even bother to reply on this post? This conversation is utterly stupid.

JediArs
02-23-2002, 04:42 PM
I'd like a box big enough so that I can throw it at the jackals head and fatally wound him!! This is the absolutely most stupid thread I've read in a while! How stupider can things get?? Whats gonna be next? JKII font size? Box color? How the inside of the box smells? Quality of manual paper? Come on people, get a life! It the game that matters! It doesn't matter if it comes in a jumbo size or mini box!! What is this????

grumpycrab
02-23-2002, 04:59 PM
I don't know if Activision have changed to using DVD cases (in the UK) but here's a picture of a box...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005O08E.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(from www.amazon.co.uk)

--
Grumps

Syko
02-23-2002, 07:26 PM
The font they'll use has already been discussed, with lots of people saying that they don't want it to be Q3 font...I guess we're all too bored and obsessed with this damn game.

-Syko

Swoosh
02-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Hey, atleast this topic hasn't already been discussed 100 times like many of the new posts have been. Boxes are part of the presentation of the game, so they are important to me (although not that much ;) ). No need for flaming, just ignore a thread if you don't like the topic. Help us keep these boards clean like they always have been.

Swoosh

Krayt Tion
02-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by T-Dogg
Why did I even bother to reply on this post?

Originally posted by JediArs
I'd like a box big enough so that I can throw it at the jackals head and fatally wound him!! This is the absolutely most stupid thread I've read in a while! How stupider can things get?? Whats gonna be next? JKII font size? Box color? How the inside of the box smells? Quality of manual paper? Come on people, get a life! It the game that matters! It doesn't matter if it comes in a jumbo size or mini box!! What is this????

Threads in the Valley of the Jedi can be on anything regarding Jedi Outcast- from the game mechanics, to the box art, to the Kinds of People You'll Find On A Friday Night Playing The New JO Map "Oasis4Eva."

Please do not harass members who place different value on things than you do. There are a million ways you could have expressed your sentiments here without letting your bantha crap all over the lawn that is this thread.

StormHammer
02-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks Krayt...you beat me to it. ;)

Krayt Tion
02-23-2002, 08:22 PM
And Swoosh beat me to it. :o

toms
02-23-2002, 08:22 PM
when people talk about "new, small boxes" are they talking about the dvd tyle plastic cases we have had in the uk for the last 9 months, or the (much cooler in my opinion) newer mini-cardboard boxes that are about the size of a vhs video case, but cardboard like the old game boxes???

skynet has a cool box..... :D
flames.....

Krayt Tion
02-23-2002, 08:32 PM
People have mentioned both, I think. Perhaps they confused? Especially if you are removing the DVD-Case from the mini box. :D

I was referring to the mini boxes, not what actually protects the CD once it is out of the box.

Yes the SkyNET box is probably my fav... the fire colors are all chromed out.

The original Jedi Knight box is the best of the DF series... followed by either the MotS or original DF box, which are both decidingly Meh.

Bio Warrior
02-23-2002, 08:36 PM
no possible way that a DVD case can fit in the mini boxes

Krayt Tion
02-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Really? I don't have a mini box to compare it with my DVD cases yet, haven't bought one.

Bio Warrior
02-23-2002, 08:40 PM
then mini boxes are about the size of a VHS box but its a little shorter and a little thicker

Rat Boy
02-23-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli
I love the new small boxes. They're great, they take up less room. I'm all for it.

Yeah, but the cost of the game isn't any less with the smaller box. At least as far as I can tell.

Swoosh
02-24-2002, 12:24 AM
Ok everyone.
I believe that TheJackal started this thread because there is a new box type standard that is starting to catch on. It is a new, smaller type the box is in, not the case the cd comes in. As far as I know, EA is the only company that is using the new box size standard. Then again, I haven't been to a software store in a few weeks, so I don't really know if other companies have started using the new box. Now, I believe that TheJackal is curious if LEC will be using this new box standard or using their own size. There really is no need to get upset about this discussion because it is a valid one that those who think isn't, can easily ignore.

Swoosh

Brick
02-24-2002, 01:01 AM
Most of the boxes I see now are still the big ones. I've seen a few of the smaller ones, though, and for the most part they've been identical to the larger ones in everything but size. I'm all for the smaller boxes... after JKII comes out. For some reason that not even I can figure out, I'd like to have a box that matches the others in the series.

I also like the idea of using DVD cases, although it does involve some confusion for some people who don't notice the thing that says "PC CD-ROM" that's on the front :p I think this leaves us with less waste and a box that is also the cd case itself, as well as lasting longer than cardboard. There is nothing left over to get ruined in storage.

BTW, I'm agreeing with Swoosh, here (not that he cares, nor should he). I like this thread. Its original and unorthodox.

ESE_SithEmperor
02-24-2002, 01:13 AM
How bigs the Box? ok that just plain stupid no offence man.

Fine out on your Own

Apparition
02-24-2002, 01:16 AM
LEC has yet to release a PC game since EA launched the mini-box line so it's hard to tell. Most companies are still going with the larger style box but it looks like EA's size will be taking over soon out of popular demand of store owners. Most store owners have to turn the cases to the side because of the size and have been complaining for years for them to switch to just CD cases (in the era of PS) and now, DVD cases (PS2), EA has been the first to respond with a happy middle ground.

DVD cases can't fit into the mini-boxes. I've bought two mini-boxes so far (Creature Isle and MOHAA) and they've both been EA games. So far, I haven't seen a non-EA mini-box but I also haven't really looked.

All in all, I don't care what size box they use, as I don't save them anyway. They don't have any long term, e-bay style value or any sentimental value. I figure if I want to reminisce about a past game then I'll fire it up or check out some pictures and videos of it online. The box is just fodder in the struggle to get at what's inside. As with people (yeah, right) it's what's inside that counts.

Well, I threw in my two cents.

App

Apparition
02-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by ESE_SithEmperor
How bigs the Box? ok that just plain stupid no offence man.

Fine out on your Own

Some people care about that type of stuff. Like how some people care about spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. If you don't (obviously so on both counts) then just ignore it.

JediArs
02-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Apparition:
"Some people care about that type of stuff. "

Well, some people care about any stupid stuff. People who care about stupid stuff and waste time on stupid things are obviously stupid. And this site? Even though I haven't ever used offensive words (certainly said critical stuff), I STILL get my words censored and deleted. So these god-like dictator moderators can delete any criticism but nothing stupid? Freedom of speech? Where is it? I'm not saying it doesn't include freedom of saying stupid stuff, it certainly does. But if these moderators (Krayt Tion) have the power to say and delete anything from this site, than it should CERTAINLY be the stupid stuff first. I'm pretty sure this post will be gone too soon. THIS IS MY POINT AND GET IT IN YOUR HEAD INSTEAD OF DELETING IT MR. MODERATORS.

The Bothan Spy
02-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Rat Boy

Yeah, but the cost of the game isn't any less with the smaller box. At least as far as I can tell.

I hope that by calling yourself Rat Boy you aren't insinuating that my beloved Jason Court in any way resembles a rodent??

http://www.petitiononline.com/JCinJK2/petition.html

Swoosh
02-24-2002, 11:24 AM
JediArs, criticism is fine and we have no problem about it, but what you are doing is different. Do you consider "I'd like a box big enough so that I can throw it at the jackals head and fatally wound him!! " criticism or even a mature comment? The moderators here believe you are trying to start a flame war and we are only taking precautions to avoid this and sometimes that means deleting your posts. Please, if you have a problem with this thread, ignore it. If you have a problem with how we moderate, go elsewhere. If you want to discuss this with any of the moderators, please feel free to private message us or go to the Help/Feedback Forum.

Swoosh

The Bothan Spy
02-24-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Apparition:
"Some people care about that type of stuff. "

Well, some people care about any stupid stuff. People who care about stupid stuff and waste time on stupid things are obviously stupid. And this site? Even though I haven't ever used offensive words (certainly said critical stuff), I STILL get my words censored and deleted. So these god-like dictator moderators can delete any criticism but nothing stupid? Freedom of speech? Where is it? I'm not saying it doesn't include freedom of saying stupid stuff, it certainly does. But if these moderators (Krayt Tion) have the power to say and delete anything from this site, than it should CERTAINLY be the stupid stuff first. I'm pretty sure this post will be gone too soon. THIS IS MY POINT AND GET IT IN YOUR HEAD INSTEAD OF DELETING IT MR. MODERATORS.

I think you'd get on well with The Third Jedi Chiss & Jedi James from the jedi-outcast.com forums. They started having a go at the moderators there, and were eventually banned!! They DID make some good points though!! Moral of the story - you can't win against moderators, so it's better to just let your anger well up inside of you!!

Vagabond
02-24-2002, 11:53 AM
JediArs, I'm not going to coddle you - I'm going to be very blunt. Show some respect or expect every one of your posts to get deleted or edited. It's that simple. I find it distasteful to have to go to that extreme, and rarely have to, but I find it more distasteful to see someone degrade and insult others because of the topic they're discussing, or their personal opinions. This is all common sense.

If you don't find interest in a topic, then move along. If you disagree with someone's point of view, then feel free to debate them using information and logic, and without insults. One does not prove one's point of view by issuing personal attacks.

We have a fun, supportive community here, and if you can't practice a little common courtesy, then you need to find someplace else to spend your time. If you insist on being rude and offensive, you can expect your posts to continue to be deleted and edited until you get it. I look forward to you becoming a positive member of our community.

Have a nice day :cool:

ESE_SithEmperor
02-24-2002, 11:56 AM
People just complain about how big the box is right.

Go Complain somewhere else

Kurgan
02-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Personally, I do collect game boxes (well, not "collect" in the collector sense, but I keep the cool ones around rather than pitching them), however, I realize they take up some space and in a lot of cases, are a waste (huge box, tiny cd and maybe a thin manual inside).

Now I know they do this for a reason, to get noticed on the shelves, however they can just as easily make a big sticker/poster/display case thing for people to notice, rather than the actual game boxes being huge. It would even save money on packaging. And in effect, they could fit more games on the shelves (since space is limited after all).

Since I started my DVD movie collection, I've become fond of the Amray "keepcase" used commonly with DVD movies. The new console systems (Xbox, PS2, etc) seem to be going that route as well, which I think is nice. They're much sturdier than those crappy cd jewel cases, and they are a bit bigger, allowing for more art/advertising/manuals as well.

The idea about scanning and resizing is good, although if you don't have a good color printer, it can be costly (and doesn't look as nice as professional high-res graphics). I plan to do that with some of my old Saturn and Dreamcast games (stretch labels for amray cases). They sell DVD towers now too, at least where I'm at.

If PC games switched to Amray (no more packaging than the DVD keepcast wrapped in plastic), I wouldn't mind it at all.

It might seem like a stupid thread (frankly some of us have run out of things to talk about), but if it is, just don't post in it, I say.
; )

Apparition
02-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Well, some people care about any stupid stuff. People who care about stupid stuff and waste time on stupid things are obviously stupid.

I hate to break it to you but I bet a lot of the things you care about someone else finds stupid. But I know that in your little self absorbed, anal retentive world that you're the only one who matters.

Vagabond
02-24-2002, 07:48 PM
I just got done scolding JediArs for hurling insults. That goes for everybody. Stop the insults. Stop the degrading. Stop the attacks. Everyone, just chill.

jesseg88
02-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE
I went to my local EB to pre order it and the shop was being referbished. Hopefully soon it will re-open :D.........I dont want to go to all the other few hundred PC shops in town :rolleyes:..I want EB!!!!!!!:mad:

Try the Lucasarts company store. Once, I pre-ordered a game there and it arrived at my house the day BEFORE they said it would be in stores!:D

JediArs
02-24-2002, 09:09 PM
All right Vagabond, you've made some good points. I guess I did just go a little over my head criticizing the Jackal. I originally just wanted to state my opinion but, well, just went out of control. Krayt Tion's reply to my first onslaught kind of ticked me off and made me write the second bad post. My intentions are to have fun talking about JKII and there are some things that kind of get me going wacked. So, I apologize to the Jackal, Krayt Tion, other moderators, and anyone else who was offended. Peace out people.

Swoosh
02-24-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks JediArs. It's big of you to apologize, really it is. Thanks for doing it too.

Swoosh

:D

JediArs
02-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Just a little thought, that I was wondering what the Bantha Fodder term means (it is placed under my icon and several other users). It doesn't seem right.

Sturmgewehr
02-24-2002, 09:40 PM
Everyone who has 0-49 posts has "Bantha Fodder" under their name. When you reach 50 posts, it will be "Pit Droid". It's the same for everybody.

Qel
02-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Everybody(including me) started as bantha fodder, very 50 post it will change theres nothing wrong with that JediArs....so chill...

About the box, I think it will be the same size as Galactic Battleground or the more recently released Star Wars Starfighter..

Qel

DigitalVapor
02-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Qel, I was just about to say that. I just bought starfighter and as much as I love that I can add the box to my collection of starwars PC boxes, I found it to be ridiculous that they had that big box and all that was inside was a little jewel case. Personaly I love the DVD cases. I plan on buying a bunch of em and replacing all my cd cases with the new ones. But alas, JO will be in the big ol box as is the custom for LEC. I have seen 2 pics of the box and they are both the big classic style box.

toms
02-25-2002, 10:34 AM
hmm... in the uk Battlegrounds and Starfighter are in plastic dvd-style cases.....

they are very handy, space wise, but i think the mini-boxes are a better balance of size/coolness...

of course, if they made a DECENT space game again they might need more space for the manual.... ;)

UniKorn
02-25-2002, 10:47 AM
I'd really prefer the dvd boxes. EF came in a cd case, EF Expansion came in a DVD case, which actually sucked because the EF cd case looks pretty stupid right now. MOH:AA, RTCW, Black & White and some others I have are in DVD Cases as well. I really like the way they look so I'd rather have the industry follow 1 STANDARD. I have a lot of the big boxes of my older games, but all they are doing is : gathering dust.

JediArs
02-25-2002, 08:14 PM
I was just curious about that. And yes, I am chillin.

txa1265
02-26-2002, 07:45 AM
This is an interesting topic ... even if I do instantly pitch the box, whetever the size ;-)

I quick scanned this thread and had no interest until I was at the Mall yesterday doing a couple of things and then stopped in at CompUSA ... in the games section, they have started to have some DVD-style cases ... boy was I surprised! I thought that was just a Europe thing! I think it was mainly the new Mac games, but it struck me nonetheless. I had been thinking of the comparison of the MoH:AA and RtCW boxes, not about a DVD box. I like the plastic sleeves my JK & MotS came in, so I'd have no problem with a DVD case, as I'd likely just put it in a sleeve holder anyway.

But I understand the people who like the big ol' boxes ... just like I understood those lamented the loss of 'cover art' when Records changed to CD's ... but, like music, *I* don't buy the game for the pretty picture on the cover (which, as I mentioned, I pitch anyway!)

Mike

StormHammer
02-26-2002, 09:10 AM
I like the DVD-style cases. There's enough room for some decent artwork. They may take up a little more space than the CD cases I usually put there...but the box isn't gathering dust either, and I don't need extra shelf space for all the manuals, which usually fit snugly inside. So it balances out. :)

Of course, with 50+ games (and expansion disks and manuals) on the shelves of my PC cabinet, it's starting to get a little cramped... :D

It's reminiscent of Harry Harrison's Make Room! Make Room! ;)

Swoosh
02-26-2002, 09:29 AM
I really hope JKII comes in a DVD case. They are so much more durable than the jewel cases and as stated before, allow for the manual to be inside the case, not the box.

Swoosh

L3onheart
02-26-2002, 10:05 AM
I also really hope that they come in the new DVD-style boxes.

All those big cardboard boxes do is gather dust.

What are those miniboxes you guys are talking about? can anyonde direct me to a photo or something of one? cuz i have no idea what boxes are those.

Swoosh
02-26-2002, 10:49 AM
For info on the new smaller box-size standard, check out this page:

Gamespot news on the box (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2840148,00.html)

Hope this helps with the confusion.

Swoosh

Vagabond
02-26-2002, 04:30 PM
One thing to consider is that depending on the game, a large manual may be necessary or desired. How easily could a DVD-type case accomodate such a requirement?

Krayt Tion
02-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Well, it has been my experience that the game manuals shipping in the big boxes almost never take advantage of that extra room, usually being not much bigger than a DVD case to begin with.

Swoosh
02-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Blah, just sell the big manual as a game guide =). Make some money out of it too...I'm sure the publishers would like that.

Swoosh

GUNNER
02-26-2002, 09:10 PM
This brings something else to mind. last night I received my SB Audigy Gamer sound card. :D The box is huge and the only thing in it is the card and manual and a few CD's. Not only do CD's come in over sized boxes so does all PC hardware.

Hmmmmmm

Brick
02-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter came in a small box like the recent EA games.

L3onheart
02-27-2002, 06:31 AM
I just saw those miniboxes (thanks Swoosh) and I prefer the DVD cases. I think DVD casing is the standard in Europe (atleast here in Portugal it is).

ps2maddenman
02-27-2002, 06:53 AM
They'll probably produce the game in the big box at first, then switch to the smaller size (Walmart version) for later production runs. I don't care as the box will be stored away as soon as I get the game.

Vagabond
02-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Speaking for myself, I'd rather have the manual come with the game when I purchase it, not something else I have to buy in addition to the game. I'm not talking about a hint guide, but rather a "how do I play this freaking game" manual. If such a manual can fit in the DVD-type box, then I'm cool with it. But I agree, that much of the space inside the boxes is wasted. The trick is to find the right balance that is not wasteful, yet meets the consumer's requirements.

IanZ
02-27-2002, 11:55 PM
I think now days manuals can just be part of the readme on the CD. Who actually takes the time to decipher through every page of a boring colorless manual anymore?

Brick
02-28-2002, 01:30 AM
Um, I do :D

I always read through the manual while the game is installing. I've played games that had features I didn't know about because I didn't read the manual. You read it, you may learn something. I prefer a printed manual that I can reference while playing in addition to a copy of one on the CD.

Zargon
02-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond
One thing to consider is that depending on the game, a large manual may be necessary or desired. How easily could a DVD-type case accomodate such a requirement?

Most DVD'some with pamphlets tellin gyou to buy other DVD's from that movie company, they should already have the little holders for it. With a game like JO, the manula wont be thicker than the case anyways so it should be easy to accomodate.

Personally I hope it doesn't come in a DVD case, as my cd rack has open slots and my DVD rack does not..........:)

Vagabond
02-28-2002, 12:08 PM
I agree, Jedi Outcast probably won't have a very big manual. But games like Master of Orion 3, Civilization III, Diablo 2, etc - primarily strategy-type games - they typically have and require large manuals - more like books. I mean, maybe they could do a hybrid approach and just slightly increase the box size if they need to accomodate the manual, but the basic principle of the DVD cases is good.

I just kind of hate it when I get this skimpy 3 page manual with my $50 game. It's like, jeez, couldn't you afford give me some decent bathroom reading material ;)

Zargon
02-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Hybrid would be so EXPENSIVE, i mean, not buying premanufactured stuff is not a good idea when buying in large quantities, it would prolly make them charge ~$70 for Jedi Outcast......

toms
02-28-2002, 06:10 PM
and there have been some games that have had really cool manuals... ones that fitted into the game.

Skynet - full of newspaper articles refering to developments at cyberdyne systems that were'nt essential to the game, but added to the backgroud story a lot.

interstate 76 - same thing, backgroud story and articles, full stats on vehicles and weapons, tips (written by a game character), hand written notes and corrections over the typed text added style.

tie-fighter... at least 3 manuals, a control card, pilots guide, ship guide, manual and more i think...

JK had a pretty coolmanual too... nice pictures and stuff.

i HATE these pdf manuals... gicvve you a headache and make it impossible to check stuff when playing.

hopefully JKO will have a cool manual with nice background story info (NRI reports, emails to kyle etc...)