PDA

View Full Version : Worst feature of JKI that shouldn't be in JKII

JediArs
02-25-2002, 08:58 PM
I was playing JKI recently and I thought about this one feature that seemed absolutely horrible to me. It was the repeated sounds of the Grans, Rodians, droids, Jeids, everything over and over again. It just gets VERY annoying after a while. It needed some variety. And the death screams. :rolleyes: All horrible!! JKII should improve on that. What do u think? Any other suggestions?

dansolo
02-25-2002, 09:03 PM
I personally hope they do something better with the force power- GRIP. That has to be the most annoying thing about JK... very cheesy. :(

MuRaSaMuNe
02-25-2002, 09:07 PM
The worst is when you fight Jerec *EYYAAGHHH EYAGGHH EYAGGHHH* I HATE HIM! :swear: Ya, forces do get annoying, what skill is there in repeatedly tapping the force button?

Sturmgewehr
02-25-2002, 09:12 PM
The best way (i think) to do Force Grip would be to have the aggressor (gripper) not able to move or block while using Force Grip. If someone else comes along and attacks the gripper, they would have to stop using Grip to be able to block. It was pretty easy to Grip someone then run up and hit them with the lightsaber.

I'm sure whatever way they do Grip in JKII will be fine.

Denise
02-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Two words: Jump. Puzzles. :mad:

Seriously, you sometimes still run into people who'll mention that they couldn't finish the original game's SP because they actually suffered vertigo in places. Think what that would be like for them on the all-around-better graphics of JK2... :)

Master Sam
02-25-2002, 09:24 PM
All of this so true, but back when it was first released the sound was probably high quality.

The worst is when you fight Jerec *EYYAAGHHH EYAGGHH EYAGGHHH* I HATE HIM!

Personally I hated force seeing. It was so annoying and you could switch force powers like that on or off. Even if you just needed to use persuasion to get past one guard, you had to use it for about 5 minutes. Plus using up so much force power. Or if you had to use seeing for one room, you had to endure the sound for a along time.

Fett_72
02-25-2002, 09:29 PM
The saber fights in multiplayer- so much potential, but all we got was 'ok, hold shift run run run jump SWING face him repeat'. We looked like crazy 5 year olds. I know it might be hard to make, but I'm praying for a saber fight that captures the essence of the ones in the movies.

Hmm, first post and it's pretty negative... well I still think JK is teh best game ever and I'm getting JO the second it's released, so don't have the wrong idea about me :)

Moses
02-25-2002, 10:20 PM
No judgement will be passed...yet. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums Fett_72. Enjoy your stay.

I personally would like certain Force powers to be toggleable. Seeing, speed, persuasion, protection (if it's in. If possible I want in OUT. Stupid Force power in my opinion). I like it how the darkside powers drain your energy though. Lightning I know does this, I think grip probably will. I think that's cool because it shows the corruptive nature of the DS.:lightning

madrebel
02-25-2002, 10:43 PM
the net code.

that was the worst feature of jk1.

Darth_Lando
02-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by madrebel
the net code.

that was the worst feature of jk1.

w0rd.

Pedro The Hutt
02-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe
The worst is when you fight Jerec *EYYAAGHHH EYAGGHH EYAGGHHH*

Personally I found that rather hilarious.. :D
But anyways.. worst feature of JK... hmm.. dunno ^.^ Nothing really bugged me about original JK.

StormHammer
02-26-2002, 08:55 AM
The thing I didn't really like about JK was the Dark Jedi levels (as I said in another thread ;) ) . Not the duels, you understand...just the design of the levels, and the old cliche of being locked in a confined space with the bad guy (the so-called Bosses). That scenario has been around since the first FPS..and I'd like to see a more freeform approach, where you encounter the Boss in one part of a large level, and you have the option of leading them to a part of that level where you want to take them on.

Another more minor gripe are NPC clones (variety is the spice of life ;) ), and the fact that NPCs didn't really do much in JK or MotS except step in the line of fire... From everything I've read, this issue is being addressed more in JKII, but we'll have to wait and see.

The only other things I can think of at the moment are when you find health packs and other items in ludicrous places, but a lot of FPS games suffer from some bad or nonsensical item placement. :(

BTW, welcome to the forums, dansolo, Fett_72 and Krandell. Hope you all enjoy your stay. Here... *hands each a chocolate Jedi Medallion*. There you go. ;) (If you don't like chocolate, have a Jedi Medallion Cookie instead. :D )

Krandell
02-26-2002, 08:59 AM
the net code.

Yep.

Pedro The Hutt
02-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer

The only other things I can think of at the moment are when you find health packs and other items in ludicrous places, but a lot of FPS games suffer from some bad or nonsensical item placement. :(
Well altough that didn't really bug me.. you're right there.. like in that one level in MotS where Mara gets imprisoned.. in found another cell that was full of health packs and batteries... realistic ^.^ So hai... item placement was rather silly and unrealistic at times. (same goes for ammo and weapons and healing stuff that can be found in abandoned alleyways/corners/rooftops etc.. but like I said.. didn't really bug me.. all the better for me ^.^ my odds of dying just decreased a bit thanks to those odd placed items)

thrEEpaGe
02-26-2002, 09:18 AM
i think that this isnt entirely related, but rtcw had somewhat realistic weapon/powerup placements, even though they seemed that they gave you too much ammo and health (even on hardest difficulty), it seemed ok to me....jk2 will be a little different i think....i think that you should get levels where there arent any health or shields or anything....and you can just go through by the skin of your teeth (because after all, how often do you get shot and then consume some 'health' and are instantly healed?

even bacta takes a long time...one saber fight with vader, and luke was out for hours in a tank..there should be levels where you have to rely on not getting shot at all....that would be cool..

StormHammer
02-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I tend to agree that RTCW did a mostly good job about item placement. The only gripe I had with it...as with most FPS games...is when you come up to a run-in with a key baddie...and suddenly there are health packs and ammo coming out of your ears. :rolleyes:

I find it unrealistic that a baddie would have all that ammo and health hanging around so you can defeat them. It may be necessary from the gamer's point of view...although I think it is more realistic if you are given more options for defeating the baddie - and possibly more cover or bolt-holes when under attack. Another reason for not having confined Boss levels...so you can run to another part of the larger level where you left some health packs or something before because you didn't need them.

As for Bacta...it's be a nice touch if you actually had to crawl inside a bacta tank for a gradual healing on a couple of levels...especially if you just got through a level by the skin of your teeth. :)

TUS_Tomcat
02-26-2002, 11:17 AM
are you a dentist?

lol :D

db6
02-26-2002, 11:50 AM
dentists don't hand out chocolate medallions, they hand out toothbrushes. Anyway, I really hated the NPC's not talking to each other/interacting with me. At one level in Naar Shada, a woman shouts "Look out!" refering to the rodian behind her, that was the closest thing I saw to NPC interaction in JK. JK2 promises that NPC's will behave more realistical, I can only hope.

[CSF] Hawk
02-26-2002, 11:59 AM
The Zone

Zodiac
02-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Fett_72
The saber fights in multiplayer- so much potential, but all we got was 'ok, hold shift run run run jump SWING face him repeat'. We looked like crazy 5 year olds. I know it might be hard to make, but I'm praying for a saber fight that captures the essence of the ones in the movies.

dude... LOL :D .... no wonder you didn't like those MP saberfights,
cuz that's not how they work at all. lol.

oh err. I didn't like the unbalanced weaponry in MP. everything was useless, except the conc or the rail det.

MuRaSaMuNe
02-26-2002, 03:26 PM
I don't think realism doesn't really belong in that context in a Jedi Knight game because after all, how often do you walk down to School and turn on force speed so you won't be late? :rolleyes: So Health Packs and Shields before bosses never annoyed me I found them rather usefull.

B0MBER II
02-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Hawk why did you register under the CSF name? Don't you know CSF will fall when JK2 is released?

Ulic Quel Droma
02-26-2002, 04:51 PM
:o

MikeC
02-26-2002, 06:03 PM
I think madrebel hit the nail on the head. The netcode.

Lord_FinnSon
02-26-2002, 06:44 PM
I find it unrealistic that a baddie would have all that ammo and health hanging around so you can defeat them. It may be necessary from the gamer's point of view...although I think it is more realistic if you are given more options for defeating the baddie - and possibly more cover or bolt-holes when under attack. Another reason for not having confined Boss levels...so you can run to another part of the larger level where you left some health packs or something before because you didn't need them.
I think Marine part of Aliens versus Predator 2 gave the best reason for those guns and ammo being in there, when you had to go againts Alien Queen: she had just killed those other marines who went down into the hive and so you picked up their guns, because you only had Beretta left if I remember correctly. True, it was also a confined level, but after you defeated the Queen and remaining marines blew up the hole to the wall, you had to escape avoiding her drones all the way up to the edge of hill where landing crafts picked you up(but not before you killed enough upcoming aliens and it shot the rockets). One of the best Boss levels I have ever seen. ;)

Kurgan
02-26-2002, 09:30 PM
The only real complaint I had with JK were the vulnerabilities to online cheating. For MotS, it was that and a few annoying bugs/glitches (mostly in Multiplayer, like the continous falling bug).

It would have been nice if they had had Dedicated Servers (at the time of MotS it was a definate MUST for FPS games), but otherwise I couldn't ask for much more.

It'd be awesome if there were a couple of "final" patches released for the games that would remedy those problems, and a remake of Dark Forces (with high res 3d acceleration and true mouselook) would be sweet. But, I get the feeling that it won't happen, and our mod communities will have to fill the gap.

CavEmaN
02-26-2002, 11:42 PM
Kyle's goatie ... its irritating to all extent ...

I mean who in their right minds would grow a goatie ...

Shave it off!!!!!

JackTheGaffer
02-26-2002, 11:45 PM
if anything resembleing the horide 3d jk had I will shot myshelf and for the grave kill myself again.

Broode
02-27-2002, 05:26 AM
Anything with a revised saber system and ill be happy.

Imp Destroyer
02-27-2002, 09:33 AM
uh, consider me a newbie about this, but
WHAT THE HELL IS THE NET CODE!?!?!?!?!?!?!
oh, my bigest gripe about JKI was the SP boss levels and the fact that the saber couldn't block the pig gaurds axes, why?!?!?!, the saber can block almost everything else, the TD and Mines and anything else that explodes I can understand but the axes come on

Binary
02-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Net code is just the implementation of how the multiplayer works. In some games when your connection is bad everyone on screen will freeze and you won't be able to move. In other games like JK, you can still move around, etc.

Worst feature... how about force blind?! :)

The Truthful Liar
02-27-2002, 09:55 AM
All the forces were perfectly fine, you just needed to work with them and be able to cope.

One minor little, teeny weeny, small factor that annoyed me was that how LONG the forces would last. Such as Force: Seeing/Speed/Persuasion (might be a couple more, but you get the idea...) You couldn't turn on/off those forces when you felt like it, that's what made me get annoyed if around the corner was a patrol of storm troopers and I had to use Persuasion... but after I use it, it would stay on untill it happlily situated my mana supply to a very low level :(

That's what made me use SBX (a mod for JK1) for Single Player again, it included many more options, better saber playability and wonderful force equalization (sp?). I hope in JK2 you can also choose when to use and not use certain forces and for how long.

Cheers ;)

ryudom
02-27-2002, 10:01 AM
one thing that bugged me that i don't think has been mentioned is the rate of weapon fire. I mean you can shoot maybe 5 times a second with the rifle, yet troopers can only fire about once a second... If you playing on hard, they should up the fire rate, imo. I just think it would be alot more challenging, you'd have to use more strategy.

Lord_FinnSon
02-27-2002, 10:01 AM
I mean who in their right minds would grow a goatie ...
Me and other true Jedi masters like :ben:, so you have to once again "admire" Kyle's beard. Besides, doesn't your name suggest that you have also accepted your primitive side, does it? :D

The Truthful Liar
02-27-2002, 10:03 AM
LOL :D:D:D

Jyt-Pon Dai'el
02-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Two things that were already mentioned that have been long-time JK1 annoyances of mine are under-developed NPCs and (especially) the lack of toggleable force powers. Things like speed, seeing, persuasion, deadly sight, etc. should stay active for as long as you have some juice left, and should switch off at will. Has anyone heard anything about how they will handle this in JKII?

Jyt-Pon Dai'el
02-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Another thing is that JK1 supports mousewheel commands, but you can only map them to a very small number of controls, not including next and previous weapon.

Another (minor) thing that bugs me is the lack of a quick-load button.

madrebel
02-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Jyt-Pon Dai'el
Another thing is that JK1 supports mousewheel commands, but you can only map them to a very small number of controls, not including next and previous weapon.

Another (minor) thing that bugs me is the lack of a quick-load button. jk1 was made a long time ago. mice with wheels were rare. mice with 3 buttons were also rare. the fact that the game supported both when the OS of choice at the time didnt(win95) is quite amazing.

i think its pretty obvious that jk2 wont suffer technologically in these areas.

Silent_One
02-28-2002, 04:07 PM
Sheesh. I absolutely HATED the ai system. They were stupider than... uhhh.... really stupid things.;)
The enemies were completely worthless in combat.

Desslock
02-28-2002, 04:23 PM
Answers relating to Force Powers and weapons can be found here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33324

jedifire
02-28-2002, 04:54 PM
The best aspect about Jedi Knight was one of the downloadable levels. The JAWA SAND CRAWLER LEVEL!!!!! That level was awesome so many secrets and traps... I played that level for hours with my friends.
:jawa :crawler:

Pedro The Hutt
02-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeah that level was a ton of fun.. altough very untrue to an actual sandcrawler interiorwise ^^"

madrebel
02-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Yeah that level was a ton of fun.. altough very untrue to an actual sandcrawler interiorwise ^^" lol you have schematics for one?

CorranHornjr
02-28-2002, 07:09 PM
I think Saber Battle X mod changed alot of what I didn't like about JK. I like being able to turn off and on force powers. Plus how Force jump, you could use multiple times and use it to soften your landing. The rolls on the ground and back flips....i wish he would have fixed how when you move, you can't block that well..there is about an eighty percent chance you would get shot just for running toward the guy...But, what a great mod. get SBX 3 for Mots or jk and you will play JK and MotS over again. I did and I still am. It adds so much..you can actually play the whole game with just lightsaber...anywho...enough of that.

*Killing sounds*
If you listen to the trailer from the UK pc gamer...you hear at the beginning the same scream over and over from the stromtroopers...maybe it goes randomly and they happen to just pick to scenes from the game that they screamed like that..but that will be anoying if that is the same scream over and over. I liked MotS alot more then JK. Though JK had better sound and dark jedis....mots fixed alot about the force that I didn't like and added guns and secondary weapons. So just keep in mind that they fix things each time and Raven took alot of time thinking about all of this stuff a year ago. So I am sure they played JK and thought about what they could change. I think it will rock!!!

I just want Ewoks to Kill...man i hate them Star wars isn't cute!!! And more Gonks and what do you call the little short guys that fix stuff? I hated those guys too.

UseDaAgression
02-28-2002, 08:09 PM
I didnt like when you were invisable you couldnt see yourself without sight that was lame in my oppionin

Elendil
03-01-2002, 01:14 AM
Cheating. (and i mean MP)