PDA

View Full Version : Will MY computer run JK2?

Temperamental
03-01-2002, 02:12 AM
I believe it will, because I can play games like Max Payne. But I'll let you guys be the judges (I think I can get medium-low detail settings on JK2) :

AMD K6-2 550 MHZ Processor
256 MB RAM
16 MB Vid Card
20 GB HD
Windows 98 SE

WD_ToRMeNt
03-01-2002, 02:14 AM
*Violently stabs Temperamental in the eye with a rusty fork*

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/system.html

Temperamental
03-01-2002, 02:16 AM
LOL I know the system requirements already... I was one of the first to post em on the massassi.net forums..

I was just asking because you guys probably know a lot more about computers than I do, therefore you can tell me what to expect from my computer's performance. IF it will run at all..

Because I have played games before on my old computer, (old junk heap) that had more than the requirements, and it would run slowly.. (no probs wit the computer).

Darth Lunatic
03-01-2002, 02:23 AM
16mg video card? What is it, a voodoo banshee or something?

You probably could get medium to low detail running 'ok' on that system. I think your in need of an upgrade.

WD_ToRMeNt
03-01-2002, 02:42 AM
It'll run, but don't be surpised if you get crappy frame rates, esp in MP.

risod
03-01-2002, 03:03 AM
Id say you need an upgrade. If you have an AGP-port Im pretty sure a graphics card would make the best effect. If youre on a low budget, I recommend a Geforce2MX400 w. 64Mb. If youve got more to spend, go for ATI8500LE but that would be total overkill in your current comp. The ATI board will be quite good for a couple of years. Any of the cards above will be held back by the CPU though. Buying a new PCI graphics gard is just a waste of money.

The official system requirements are a joke. The game is worth more than that. I dont have the latest HW but (usually) enough to get a good gameplay experience and not having to bother about too low resolution, choppy movement or low gfx quality settings.

I plan to run this game on: Amd Duron800@969, Geforce256@134/184 and 256Mb DDR.

I hope it will run OK, if it doesnt I will try to get a new gfx card before I play it. This game is worth it.

PS. I know that everybody doesnt have the money to buy new computer stuff all the time, I dont either. DS

Ulic Quel Droma
03-01-2002, 03:17 AM
My system sounds okay to play it

duron 800mhz TNT2 Ultra and 128mb ram with Win XP
:):atpt: :racer:

risod
03-01-2002, 04:29 AM
My system sounds okay to play it

duron 800mhz TNT2 Ultra and 128mb ram with Win XP

U will be fine with that, medium settings maybe. However the Duron800 is easily overclocked to at least 900. That might not do a lot of difference in benchmarks such as 3DMark2k1 but ingame I think it feels a bit smoother. The advanced AI of JO will definitly take advantage of a little higher clock speeds.

Check your mobo manual and crank up that FSB, watch your temps. though.:p

Besides, overclocking is fun. :D See it as a game or challenge.

Disclaimer: If ya all ruin your computers beeing inspired by this post, I wont loose any sleep over it. Nor can I be held responsible. Its up to each and everyone to try. All Im saying is it can be done. :D

Chanke4252
03-01-2002, 07:10 AM
how do i actually set the new mhz or speed of a card when i overclock. And how can i find out the internal temp. I dont really need to but i wanna overclock my GF3 Ti200 just for kicks, dont ask me why.

Desslock
03-01-2002, 07:28 AM
Overclocking can damage anything permanently. So if you dont know what your doing, you can waste however much money you put into that GF3. But if you really want to, I suggest www.icrontic.com

They have some things on overclocking there.

You will need a CPU thermometer program to monitor heat in the GUI of your OS. Outside of that, you'll need some hardware. Icrontic should have it somewhere. :)

UniKorn
03-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Temperemental I suggest you upgrade. Upgrading your graphical card alone won't do you all the good that is needed. I had a 450 Celeron and I upgraded it to a Thunderbird 800 to play ef decently. That was with GF2 MX. I upgraded that one last month to a 1600+ XP to make sure that I am ready for the big boys like Unreal 2. I suggest you focus on a processor, motherboard upgrade. Duron 800 should do fine for the one who had it in this post, but Temperemental, I suggest you upgrade to a 1200+/1400+, they aren't that expensive anymore.

txa1265
03-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Temperamental
I believe it will, because I can play games like Max Payne. But I'll let you guys be the judges (I think I can get medium-low detail settings on JK2) :

AMD K6-2 550 MHZ Processor
256 MB RAM
16 MB Vid Card
20 GB HD
Windows 98 SE

If you have a few bucks to spend, I would put it into a new vid card ... I have a nice 64MB GF2 card in a 850 system and that runs RtCW on my 1280x1024 system at ~90FPS.