PDA

View Full Version : THIS!! means something.

Neonix
03-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Chat has started and in regard for a demo:

"Just wait and see"

Also there will be a mix of in-game and pre-rendered cinematics

Posted by L3onheart, this has gotta mean something.

Right?

TUS_Tomcat
03-01-2002, 01:19 PM
uhm i dont think that was the asnwer to the question about the demo...

(it was mine, first question posted but then they went to simpsons Qs :( )

He said theyre looking at options and blah blah blah so not for a while...

sounds like they havent worked on a demo yet

CaptainRAVE
03-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Id rather they brought the game out quicker......would you really want the game delayed for a demo?? After the game is released they can then work on a demo :D

Agen
03-01-2002, 01:58 PM
agreed ravie boy.

Obi
03-01-2002, 02:00 PM
<font color=cbcbff> When asked when the game will go gold he said "Very Soon". I take this to mean that the game will go gold probably within this very coming week. It would probably be ready to ship by mid-march.

Sturmgewehr
03-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Making a demo would take half a day (maybe a full day if they took a 4 hour lunch) for one person. Then get it approved and uploaded. A demo shouldn't delay the full game.

Dan12R
03-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Plus, if the game is going gold fairly soon and it's going to take a while to get on the shelves, they can put together a demo during that time and we'll have a demo before the game is in our hands.

digl
03-01-2002, 08:06 PM
I want a demo even if it delays the game for a week, because Ill get the game one or two weeks later, so I want something to play while you all discusss how cool the game is and Im still waiting for it

Eternity
03-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Making a demo would take half a day (maybe a full day if they took a 4 hour lunch) for one person. Then get it approved and uploaded. A demo shouldn't delay the full game.

Well said.

PraetorJudis
03-01-2002, 08:37 PM
Making a demo would take half a day (maybe a full day if they took a 4 hour lunch) for one person. Then get it approved and uploaded. A demo shouldn't delay the full game.You make a lot of demos then, that you're so familiar with how long it takes?

Eternity
03-01-2002, 08:44 PM
It's common sense. It probably wouldn't take a day, because they need to play-test it and have it approved. But the concept is true.

A demo doesn't take that long.

PraetorJudis
03-01-2002, 08:49 PM
It's common sense.You realize that a demo is a whole new executable, right? The unused code has to be stripped very carefully from the code base and the the remaining code recompiled and tested. That's a short version of demo creation.

No offense, but I think your 'common sense' is based on a lack of knowledge of what it takes to put together a good demo.

Eternity
03-01-2002, 09:03 PM
You realize that a demo is a whole new executable, right? The unused code has to be stripped very carefully from the code base and the the remaining code recompiled and tested. That's a short version of demo creation.

Are you just trying to be the devil's avocate? Of course it's a whole new executable, but it's not new code. And yes, it has to be tested--like I said.

This doesn't take months.

PraetorJudis
03-01-2002, 09:08 PM
This doesn't take months.Nor does it take half a day. I'm not playing devil's advocate, I'm pointing out that it's unreasonable to stateMaking a demo would take half a day (maybe a full day if they took a 4 hour lunch) for one person. Then get it approved and uploaded. A demo shouldn't delay the full game.That post was so full of ludicrous nonsense, false assumptions, and (to quote Bill MacNiel of NEws Radio) gorilla dust that it isn't even funny.

Eternity
03-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Like I said, I agreed with the concept--it probably would take a little longer.

However, I would think yours is just as bad--a demo doesn't take months, as you seem to infer.

PraetorJudis
03-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Nowhere do I imply it takes months. You may have infered that, but I didn't imply it.

Eternity
03-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Heh. Well, then, I infered it. You're post seems to implicate that a demo takes a long time. I assumed you meant months.

Belgirion
03-01-2002, 09:35 PM
I could care less if they release a demo because if I get it I won't as excited when I go to pick up my copy of JO compared to if I didn't get the demo...you know what i mean?

GonkH8er
03-01-2002, 10:34 PM
*reeowwwww!!!*

*hiss!*

:)

Sturmgewehr
03-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Byte me. It doesn't take long to make a demo.

"That post was so full of ludicrous nonsense, false assumptions, and (to quote Bill MacNiel of NEws Radio) gorilla dust that it isn't even funny."

Welcome to the forums.

SaberPro
03-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Well, it depends what kind of Demo they are releasing. If they are going to release a mission from the retail game, copy and paste does the job? (I'm guessing)

But if it is a TOTALLY different mission with no storyline relation, it might take some time...

Neonix
03-02-2002, 04:00 AM
I agree with you on that SaberPro, but do you think they will do that, On DF it was the first level from the retail game and with JK it tought it was level 10 or something

X-Vector
03-02-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Belgirion
I could care less if they release a demo because if I get it I won't as excited when I go to pick up my copy of JO compared to if I didn't get the demo...you know what i mean?

Yes, I do.

JPMaximilian
03-02-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Obi
<font color=cbcbff> When asked when the game will go gold he said "Very Soon". I take this to mean that the game will go gold probably within this very coming week. It would probably be ready to ship by mid-march.

What does "going gold" mean?

Graphicsgod
03-02-2002, 08:55 AM
I don't care about delays, just give us a demo and the game can be released a good month later for all I care! A GOOD demo would keep me intrested and entertained for a little while ;).

And JPMaximilian, "Going Gold" means that the game is considered final and is burned onto a cd (sometimes an actual gold colored cd). Then sent to the publisher to be mass produced and copied.

If you want to learn more, consult your local library and learn more about it ;).

The_One
03-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Graphicsgod
burned onto a cd (sometimes an actual gold colored cd

Known to most as the "master" :p

TUS_Tomcat
03-02-2002, 12:41 PM
i thought that it being an actual gold disc was what used to be, and that these days that isnt necessary anymore, but the expression just remains?

Kurgan
03-02-2002, 06:10 PM
"Gone Gold" means the game is finished and the "gold" (master disc) is sent in for copying and shipping, etc.

So within a short time (perhaps a few days) of "going gold" a game will start hitting store shelves.

Yes, a demo might take a long time, but the min. time to create one could be very short indeed.

JK had two demos, one that came with the Voodoo2 cards, that had the first three SP levels (complete with cutscenes) taken directly from the full game. The other had one SP level (Fuel Station Launch, which was 9 IIRC) and one multiplayer map from the full game (Bespin Mining Station)+ 7 MP skins from the full game. It had all the weapons and force powers from the full game, and the cutscene was just a slideslow of screenshots and sound effects and music (mixed from various sources).

Dark Forces had two demos.. one was just 1 SP level (since DF had no MP) which I assume as just the first level, and then a 3 level demo (which oddly enough was also included on the full game disc) which was the first three SP levels.

MotS's demo was simply the first SP level from the full game, nothing else.

All of these demos were released within 2 weeks of the full game, and IIRC, all were released before.

It looks like in this case, if we get a demo, it will most likely be after the full game goes gold, and maybe before it hits store shelves.. but maybe after.

Twinmold
03-02-2002, 06:33 PM
lol, thats crazy, (my first post btw) I say they make a demo. Its not going to matter anyway, Heck, they are prob making a demo now, so i REALLY doubt the game will be delayed....

Whats one little demo, a multiplayer thing, and maybe 1 or 2 single player lvls....that would not take that long at all, for them I'd say a week to make a demo, AT MOST

StormHammer
03-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forums, Neonix and Twinmold. Hope you're enjoying your stay. Here... *hands each a chocolate Jedi Medallion* ;)

I'm also one of those who doesn't mind a demo after the game's released...but then, I pre-ordered mine. I know a demo is important to a lot of people, though - it normally would be with me - so I definitely think a demo should be done. I'm not sure the Raven team will be able to get a demo out to download before the game is actually available in stores, though... Even with a demo they have to play-test it and make sure the bugs are at minimum, and that still takes time (unless they're really lucky).

I guess we'll just have to sit tight and see what happens...