PDA

View Full Version : THIS is what u all get for complaining.

Rogue15
03-13-2002, 06:29 PM
There's less popup ads and ads with girls on them so lucasforums shuts down like 6 hours a day.

THANKS FOR COMPLAINING! :D

Rogue15
03-13-2002, 06:38 PM
o my look, they even got rid of our sigs and avatars for sith's sake!!!

Rogue15
03-13-2002, 06:44 PM
o no 2 more posts and i'm at 5900!!!! insane retaliation is comin for YOU!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

no wait if i did that...i'd get banned....help. i'm asking for the popup ads and sexy women ads to return if it means i get my avatar and sig back.

Where's my avatar?!? (03-13-2002 until 04-13-2002)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a temporary measure to keep the server running efficiently avatars, signatures and searches have been disabled. We hope to turn these back on as soon as possible.

oh. :D whatever u say boss. *ceases invasion beginning dances*

Darth Homer
03-13-2002, 07:28 PM
I don't know what you mean by "no pop-up ads"...I get pop-ups everytime I go to another page. I had to close down two windows just so I could type this....I agree with the avatars and sig thing, though.

chrisw_30
03-14-2002, 01:33 AM
no...my sig is gone...

Oh well I will type it

The names Williams...Chris Williams

Influenza
03-14-2002, 01:58 AM
LOL, I turned off Signatures and Avatars a LOOONG time ago. It really bugs me when people post a one-line comment followed by 10 lines and 3 images in their signature.

Another thing missing: the Jump-to-Forum menu that used to be at the bottom. I feel so lost now! :(

Redwing
03-14-2002, 02:11 AM
X_x

Now I can't just be lazy...

:D

My sig, my beautiful sig! And my lovely avatar! Gone! NooooOOOOOOoooOOOOOoooOOOOOooooo!! :(

Young David
03-14-2002, 03:34 AM
I really must go search another home forum ... this is getting insane ...

30% chanche that the forum is down.
Ads everywhere
Pop-ups on every page

and now they take away our sigs and avatars ...

In the words of Mas Amada "This is a crisis"

Young David
http://www.rendo.dekooi.nl/~gkonings/gb/obi.gif

Heavyarms
03-14-2002, 05:35 AM
I got an idea guys. Why don't we all just click one of the banners rapidly, so that they make a lot of money racking up for the forum.

Boba Rhett
03-14-2002, 05:50 AM
It's ingenius! :D

things will be better soon guys. Hang in there. :)

Wraith 5
03-14-2002, 07:00 AM
maybe if everyone took out the really big pics out of their sigs we could have sigs and avatars back

Gaming Nut
03-14-2002, 07:52 AM
I have yet to see an avatar that slowed the forum down yeah the sig's where getting insane but no reason to take the avtars off. But I post at many forums and will just leave if it's not fixed.

Tie Guy
03-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
maybe if everyone took out the really big pics out of their sigs we could have sigs and avatars back

Done. If only everyone else would take out their sig banners (dang you eeets j/k :D) it would be good. Animated Avatars might not be a good idea either....

Havoc Stryphe
03-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

Done. If only everyone else would take out their sig banners (dang you eeets j/k :D) it would be good. Animated Avatars might not be a good idea either....

I too have removed my banner for the good of the community. Hopefully this action by the majority will allow for them to enable avatars and sigs again.

Wraith 5
03-14-2002, 09:34 AM
now all we need is to know if that really would help or not

To chris... "Master would it help to lose the big sig banners? and what of the animated avitars?"

Rogue15
03-14-2002, 10:04 AM
i'm never taking my sig pic off. i'm a mod and don't need to. mwahahhaah well, they could always disable the img tags...:rolleyes:

i'd rather have my sig tho....than avatar. cuz it has a link to my levels....

Wraith 5
03-14-2002, 10:40 AM
we didn't say kill sigs all together, just the big banners in the sigs...

you could still link to your levels...

Boba Rhett
03-14-2002, 03:22 PM
o_o Ummm..... most of your sig pictures aren't hosted on Lucasforums so how is it going to ease the load on this server? :confused:

The avatars and signatures are hosted on the server, therefore, if they are disabled the servers load is lightened.

Silenthunter
03-14-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by AU_heavyarms
I got an idea guys. Why don't we all just click one of the banners rapidly, so that they make a lot of money racking up for the forum.

What a good idea :D Whenever you see a popup, click on it then just close it down :D

captain_drake
03-14-2002, 04:25 PM
damn
i can't belive they took my sig
and it took me days to finlly get it right
any news about when we will get them back

matt--
03-14-2002, 05:39 PM
For this post I assume that avatars and sigs were turned off to help with the frequent database problems.

In case none of you know about the complexities of vBulletin, I'll fill you in...

The avatars and sigs are stored IN the database. We'll ignore everything except sigs for now. Say 20 posts in a thread, each poster has an avatar. Each time someone views the page, avatar.php is called and a new database connection is established FOR EACH AVATAR ON THE PAGE. So 20 posts, say 10 people reading the thread...that's 200 queries, just for ONE thread. Multiply that by about 10 for each forum...2000 x 15 forums...that's 30000 connections :eek:

Of course, not everyone loads the page at the same time, so that number is a bit huge ;)

Basically, bear with us.

Tie Guy
03-14-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
o_o Ummm..... most of your sig pictures aren't hosted on Lucasforums so how is it going to ease the load on this server? :confused:

It's not, but it makes the page load faster in general, which seems to be the problem here.

Eets
03-14-2002, 05:44 PM
In the words of the immortal C3P0:

:c3po: "We're doomed!"

Boba Rhett
03-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

It's not, but it makes the page load faster in general, which seems to be the problem here.

I know, I was just questioning their reasoning.

Zygomaticus
03-14-2002, 06:16 PM
what seems to be the problem, gentlemen??

ahhhh the sigs are missing, and so are the avatars.;)

I found it really weird at first but now im quite ok with it....but sure would love to see nice colorful pictures and links soon:)

Rogue15
03-14-2002, 09:11 PM
i don't care about the avatars....i would like my sig back tho. :)

I kinda feel bad for eets tho....

Eets
03-14-2002, 09:12 PM
*sigh* yeah, I miss my avatar... what was it again? *scratches head* oh well...

Zygomaticus
03-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Eets'chula
*sigh* yeah, I miss my avatar... what was it again? *scratches head* oh well...

how can you miss an avatar if you change it everyday.....;)

I sorta remember runroom when i hear the word "eets"

Artoo
03-14-2002, 11:34 PM
Just when I get a sig I like. Oh well when Avatars come back Artoo will still be shaking his head at you. I just don't know what to think of this. Hopefully they'll be back up soon.

chrisw_30
03-15-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
now all we need is to know if that really would help or not

To chris... "Master would it help to lose the big sig banners? and what of the animated avitars?"

You talking to me???

Heavyarms
03-15-2002, 05:30 AM
no, he is talking to chris lavin, the main administrator for this network.

Not Chris Williams.

Natopo
03-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Rogue 15, I have just one thing to say to you:

WE STILL HAVE THE CRUDDY WOMAN ADS, THE WAR ADS, AND POP-UPS NOW! AND THEN, WE HAVE OUR SIGS AND AVATARS GONE! WHEN ARE WE GOING TO MOVE THIS FORUM! THIS STINKS!

I'm sorry, I just had to let it out. *sighs* Oh NO! IT'S COMING BACK!

I HATE UGO!

Done. Pheww. That's over.

duder
03-15-2002, 06:24 AM
The pop ups are now worse than ever! :rolleyes: These forums are becoming less appealing by the day. :(

Natopo
03-15-2002, 06:47 AM
I agree with duder. I think this is a very good way to lose members. I'm not sure Chris Lavin would like that...

Rogue15
03-15-2002, 07:30 AM
all i'm getting is rogaine ads! :D and dvd ads...

Heavyarms
03-15-2002, 10:19 AM
I see about 5 new ads a day.

JediMasterEd
03-15-2002, 11:59 AM
i have yet to see a pop up with me. i'm on here contantly and there is no pop-ups, only ads that you cannot close. oh, and the war ads are a game that isn't quite bad though. tried the demo and it's ok. but they didn't have to disable the avatars and signatures. NO! MY MONTY PYTHON SIGNATURES! GONE! ALL GONE!

DarthMaulUK
03-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Ok guys. Here is the deal, from the mouth of Aristotle.

Here's the deal on both those issues:

1) Avatars are just temporarily disabled while we adjust to the recent surge in traffic... we're close to adding a second server to the network for just the forums themselves, and then that will be a non-issue, as will the database errors we've been seing. My time-period estimate for that second server is the end of this month.

2) The doubleclick code only tosses up a few pop-ups to any one person each day, then it reverts to public service announcement ads, meaning that yes, people should see a few pop-ups, but then they should vanish for the rest of the day. We will be cutting back on the ads as soon as possible... but we need that second server, and each of the owners of the network are consistently paying out of their pockets each and every month just to keep this network going. We're finally moving into the black, however, now that we have an agreement with Doubleclick. Things are looking up and people will see some major projects being launched soon that will bring some significant added services to our readers... they will just have to stay tuned. We'll start banning more and more pop-up ads after we have that second server running at the end of this month.

So, please be patient while this goes on. GB.com is under re-vamp and we promise more content than ANY OTHER SWGB, including mine! LOL
DMUK
www.galacticbattlegrounds.co.uk

Rogue15
03-15-2002, 07:13 PM
LOL!! i almost thought u said you were going to be banning more and more users! :D

Natopo
03-15-2002, 07:22 PM
I just knew flaming was good for something...

Redwing
03-16-2002, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
LOL!! i almost thought u said you were going to be banning more and more users! :D

LMAO

@ Certain People: Didn't you read Matt's post? Your sig pics are not the problem. It's the existence of the sigs and avatars with the number of users (far too many connections)

Honestly.

Tie Guy
03-16-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Redwing

LMAO

@ Certain People: Didn't you read Matt's post? Your sig pics are not the problem. It's the existence of the sigs and avatars with the number of users (far too many connections)

Honestly.

But it only helps load times, so even if it doesn't lessen the server strain, it still improves things for everyone.

Redwing
03-16-2002, 05:13 PM
=/

I have a crappy 56K, and I can live with the load times. If someone can't take the times, they should disable images in their control panel. I don't think there should be a rule to nix pictures or anything.

I don't know why I'm arguing this...I just like the pretty pictures I guess :D