PDA

View Full Version : Will JK2 run on a Voodoo 5?

[xeno]DarkStar
03-20-2002, 07:45 PM
I hope this question hasn't been asked to many times. I searched for a similar topic but couldn't find one.

It's not mentions as one of the video cards on the game info. But it also runs on the Q3 engine, which a voodoo card will run on.

CorranHornjr
03-20-2002, 07:58 PM
It is an honest question, though I do believe that it has been asked once or twice. I used to have a 3dfx voodoo 3 card, and it worked on all games after they sold to Nvidia. I do believe that they are (100%) openGL compliant. If you read the system info on the Jedi Outcast page,

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/system.html

it will tell you what is required for the cards. And it says that they have to be 100% opengl supported. Which I do believe that 3dfx put that into all of their cards. All can do is try to play it and if it doesn't work, then you know you might want to get a new card. The voodoo5 is a pretty powerful card, it was made to go against the geforce 3 i believe...though I could be wrong.

I am almost positive that it will work.

If you look, Geforce 4 isn't even supported. But it will work. Alot of games say that they are supported but have alot of unsupported cards on a list that work just fine.

there you go buddy.

digl
03-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the forums [xeno]DarkStar, I hope you have fun around.

I just moved your thread to our Tech Help area.

H-street
03-20-2002, 08:15 PM
One thing you might want to seriously look into with the voodoo line ( i have a v5 in one of my computers) is to try wicked3D.. they actually made tribes2 playable on the voodoo5..

sorry i don't have the url but give

www.voodoofiles.com a try

acdcfanbill
03-20-2002, 09:22 PM
most likely not the best, the voodoo5 is getting to be an older card now days...:)

UrzaTRI
03-26-2002, 03:10 PM
It should work with a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP, but may take bit of tinkering.

When I first installed and ran the a similar game such as Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, none of the video sequences at the start would show and the menu system's text was so horribly corrupted that it made menu navigation impossible.

Heres how I fixed it:

1) I downloaded WickedGL from http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm and installed it.

2) I went into the dir where I installed Medal of Honour: Allied Assault and found the exe file, and I renamed it quake3.exe

3) Then I ran the WickedGL control panel, and told it to look for the game Quake 3 in my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir.

4) It told me it had found a copy and asked me if I wanted to install the MiniGL driver there, so I clicked OK.

5) I closed the WickedGL control panel, went back into my Medal of Honour: Allied Assault dir and renamed quake3.exe back to its original name

Now when I run the game I get the WickedGL shareware message which says press 'C' to continue, and then the game works fine!

My PC is as follows:
PIII 700mhz
320MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
SB LiVE! Value
Windows 2000 Pro
DirectX 8.1

The game runs like a dream on my machine in 800x600x32 :D

This should also work with Jedi Knight II seeing as though the graphics engine is also based on the Quake 3 engine. Give it a try and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card!!

NatePalm
03-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Ah! Many thanks UrzaTRI! I was having the exact prob with my Voodoo 5 for Outcast as you had for Medal of Honor. I was getting no opening movies and the screen was garbled. Also my saves weren't working. I followed your instructions for the WickedGL drivers and I'm running 100% now.
I wonder what is causing the exact same problem on two different games? Oh well.

Thanks again!

Nate

Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 12:57 AM
I just did this to for Medal of Honor and it worked great. More importantly, this really does fix the JO problems, right??!

[Edit]BUMP - I just need some reassurance people :D

l-FeigN
03-28-2002, 03:59 AM
well I'll be damned...it does work!

I think ill still be getting a geforce3, though...i love my voodoo5, but im looking for something with a little more developer support, heh.

Frumpus
03-28-2002, 05:03 AM
Wow, thx, Urza!

I was havin CRAP framerates in MOH:AA as well; blackscreen intro movies; no text adjustment - especially in vast environments.

I had already downloaded WickdGL for Tribes2 last fall, but never tried tricking it into using the MiniGL Quake3 drivers. It worked: I see the intro movies, and the text isn't screwed up.. . .I just wish I could get more framerates out of it. I still have to have the detail rpetty much at LOWEST settings at 1024 X 768.

My system:

AMD Duron 800MHz
256 PC133 RAM
Asus A7V133 Motherboard
Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP
SBLive Value!
KDS XTreme Flat 19" monitor (mmm, just got this a month ago)
30GB Hard drive (that REALLY needs a fresh reformat! 2GB freespace is asking for problems I hear.)

Which version of WickedGL did you use? I think I have a couple versions from last fall (beta and "reg").

And, will that trick work for ANY Quake3-engine game?

I'm using the x3dfx_V5_Win9X_1.08.04 drivers for my Voodoo5.

Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 06:37 AM
You're getting low framerates because you're trying to run it at 1024x768. Try 800x600.

NatePalm
03-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Oops spoke too soon. I'm not quite 100%. The games not displaying a sky texture. All I get is a big white light sky or a big black sky. Thing is on the save game screen shots the sky is there. Other than that though the game runs great. And is quite good btw.
If anybody has any ideas on my sky problem let me know.

Nate

GarbageCanDroid
03-28-2002, 01:38 PM
THANKYOU for this info! I signed up for this forum just to say thanks!

My Voodoo 4500 is running the game great now :)

Voodoo5500
03-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advise on installation but I still get a black screen on start up any ideas?

I think its the XP drivers I'm using has anybody got any ideas on help?
I would realy like to get the game up and running?

Thanks Voodoo5500

Nickeleye
03-28-2002, 10:53 PM
I really don't know anything about Windows XP nor do I know how the Voodoo5 card works with XP (I have a Voodoo 5 5500 as well). You did try the WickedGL solution, right?

p.s. NatePalm - I have the same setup as you and my JO is showing me clouds and sky just fine. Don't know why you don't see it.

JR2000Z
03-28-2002, 11:30 PM
Is this WickedGlide thing free? Safe?

Nickeleye
03-29-2002, 12:00 AM
Yes, the demo version is free (I'm not sure the differences between the demo version and the registered version besides $8). Go here (http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedgl.htm) and you can download it. It's completely safe. I highly reccomend it! It fixed my Medal of Honor problems as well as Jedi Outcast :D

Chicanery
03-29-2002, 05:20 AM
Installed WickedGL and most of my problems have gone away...

I'm not seeing the sky either (though in my case the save screen shots don't show it either), and I have absolutely no gamma control whatsoever...

Any suggestions? (other than buying a geforce...)

-Chicanery

krazyscotsman
03-29-2002, 07:14 AM
I've downloaded the demo version of wicked GL. And the fix by changing the exe to quake3 worked. However in the setup screen for video preference, If I raise the screen resolution other than default the game locks up. The phrase about buying wicked gl comes up and I can hit c to continue. it just freeze there. Any ideas?
Scotsman

dansolo
03-29-2002, 08:00 AM
:racer: Wicked GL is the only way to fly :)

dansolo
03-29-2002, 08:25 AM
Ok, I figured out how to get the sky working and the gamma back to normal.

You will need to open the jk2mpconfig.cfg file in Wordpad and change a few numbers.
This file is located in: "\Jedi Outcast\GameData\base"

To fix the sky, find the line that reads:
seta r_fastsky "1"

Change the 1 to a 0 and the sky should reappear.

Now, to fix the gamma, find the line that reads:
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"

Change the 0 to a 1 and the gamma should be normal.

Save the file, load JO and you should be good to go. Hope this works out for you... way to go WickedGL drivers for saving the day...

-ds

Creepy_Smell
03-29-2002, 02:10 PM
thought up a possible work around to the renaming directory thing.

in the wickedgl folder there is a file called wglgames (not sure what version i have..might be different). Copy the quake 3 line..paste it in there and then edit..

"Jedi Knight",jk2sp.exe,opengl32.dll

not sure if it would work..havent tried it..i did enter a fake game name using above method and then ran wickedgl install and it showed up on list of games.

i might try later.

What i really want though is the ability to switch in-game from my geforcemx2 to my V2 sli's (and u though v5 was old...ha)..want to be able to test both..see which is better for me tweaking wise.

Creep

Chicanery
03-29-2002, 03:14 PM
That fixed the sky problem... Still no gamma control. Can't figure out why...

There are three gamma settings in the cfg (I'm using jk2config.cfg, btw... not the multiplayer config).

seta r_ext_gamma_control "0"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "0"
seta r_gamma "2.511719"

I'm playin' with 'em... But not getting very far... Nice to have a sky though.

-Chicanery

dansolo
03-29-2002, 06:02 PM
You shouldn't have to rename the EXE's or folders to install WickedGL. All you need to do is to copy the opengl32.dll (from the WickedGL folder) into the JO/GameData/ folder.

If you want to use the hi-res version of the WGL driver, copy the ogl_hres.dll and rename it to opengl32.dll .

Remember, any file named "opengl32.dll" will be the GL driver JO uses.

-ds

dansolo
03-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Chicanery

If you want to set the gamma for multiplayer, you must use jk2mpconfig.cfg and play with the gamma variables.

Otherwise, jk2config.cfg is only used by the single player exe.

I think if you keep playing with those gamma vars, you will get results.
Maybe try this:

seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"
seta r_gamma "5"

I'm not at home to test this, but I will get back to you soon.

-ds

PS- There is also a brightness setting in the advanced display options which might help. :cool:

Chicanery
03-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah... I'm trying to get it for the single player... Haven't even bothered running MP yet...

Playing around with r_gamma has yielded some results, though the problem is I have to exit the game and reset it to use it. Oh well.

-Chicanery

dansolo
03-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Chicanery-

I just got done testing this on my machine. To get the default gamma, change the three variables so they read as follows:

seta r_ext_gamma_control "1"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"
seta r_gamma "1"

"1" is the default gamma setting for the game, but if you need it higher, try using 1.2 or some decimal. It seems to be in very fine increments.

Another thing-- if you want to do it mid game, bring down the console by hitting shift+tilde, then type:
r_gamma "whatever"

After that, typing the command "vid_restart" will reload your current map with the new display variables.

-ds

Ready Wan
03-29-2002, 10:20 PM
I just installed a v5 5500 into my wife's machine (a p3 450), and only allowed it to load the newest drivers 1.08.04 for win98

I was prepared to do the wickedgl tweak, but there is no need. It runs just fine...I see sky, am getting 33fps or so...pretty smooth considering.... Once in a while, when just spawning, it'll pause and freeze for a couple of seconds...but then it runs just fine.

I dont know why I didnt need the wickedgl drivers...except that perhaps I'm only running win98 not SE, I didnt load ANY 3dfx drivers until I loaded the 1.08.04.

has anyone else gotten their v5 running w/o the wickedgl drivers?

one question: do you think the wickedgl drivers would help my fps? Like I said, I'm getting 33fps, down to 25fps or so with one other user in the game...resolution is 640 x 480.. ??

thank you

RW

dansolo
03-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Ready Wan - give Wicked GL a try... it works wonders :)

Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 01:45 AM
does anyone know if this wickgl fix will work for voodoo 3 2000?

the voodoo 5 and voodoo 3 issues seem to be much the same...?

has anyone with voodoo 3 tried? I am downloading wickedgl and will try it myself.. i'll get back with results.

Rebel736
03-30-2002, 01:55 AM
Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to www.3dfx.com and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP. And theres another way to do that wicked gl fix u dont have rename anything just copy these files to the dir _ISREG32.dll , ogl_hres.dll and opengl32.dll That will fix JO and anything else. I use drivers ppl made and my games run fine. Hope this helps u guys out.

My system specs:
1.3ghz amd anthlon
256k ram
Windows XP
40 gig HD
not really sure on the rest its a prebuilt HP pavilion model # 7935

Ready Wan
03-30-2002, 03:48 AM
Dan Solo--I loaded them and it does seem to run better than it did.
thanks for the tip!

Voodoo5500
03-30-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi I notice everyone is worried about the sky textures but the question I have is which drivers are people using?
Also if you don't use the Whicked version of the update and just input the open gl files can you change the screen resolutions?

Thanks

Voodoo5500

Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 12:33 PM
well, I followed the step described above, and i couldnt get the wickedgl fix to work for Voodoo 3 2000. i know it hasn't worked because i do not get the "press C to continue" message on load up. :(

does anyone know how to get it working with Voodoo3? or what might i be doing wrong?

PLEASE HELP!

Jedi Child
03-30-2002, 01:33 PM
wickedGL DOES WORK!!! previously i had changed th JediOutcast.exe to quake3.exe, but that's the wrong .exe.
jk2mp.exe and jk2sp.exe need to be changed to quake3.exe each...

now i get skies and even the old scroll text in the start of single player - however, it's VERY blurry, but the menu screens and the save games are sorted! :D

Does anyone know how to sharpen the famous scrolling text, or focus it, at the start of singleplay?

LightningBaron
03-30-2002, 02:35 PM
instead of altering the games exe's u can add JK II into wicked gls game list, simply open its cfg (cant remeber its name) and under the line for hitman (if you want it in alphabetical order) add:
"Jedi Knight II SP",jk2sp.exe, opengl32.dll
"Jedi Knight II MP",jk2mp.exe, opengl32.dll

and amazing, its in the wickedgl data base, anyway, i think the lines read like that, just copy the structure of everything else (dont have WGL handy at the mo so this was all off the top of my head)

LightningBaron
03-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Rebel736
Hey guys i got RTCW to run on my voodoo 5500 pci card. Go to www.3dfx.com and dl the user made drivers ppl have made drivers for XP.

they rnt user made, they are made by the people that used to work for 3dfx, but because 3dfx was closed down they cant use that name, hence x3dfx, and thats the reason for them being so stable

Gromas
03-30-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm running Win98SE, x3dfx 1.08.04 , WickedGL drivers. I've renamed the .exes and what not, and I can get into the game. But as soon as I get to the menu in the it totally locks up. Any idea if there is a setting that needs to be changed elsewhere? This is my #6 at the Outcast LAN that's going on right now! Five computers at the LAN is such an odd numma.

HELP!!!!!

Chicanery
03-31-2002, 07:53 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone, especially DanSolo, for helpin' out with my gamma problems...

It's fixed (still butt ugly compared to my buddy's Geforce3 sitting next to me), but it's playable.

THANKS!

-Chicanery

Darth Massacator
03-31-2002, 08:27 PM
That solution using the WickedGL drivers on JKII were right on the mark! I use the drivers for Tribes 2 and never bothered to think it'd work on other Q3-based engines. I had similiar problems that others have posted, such as lack of cutscenes, poor fps (granted I was somewhat expecting it being I'm using a V5500 agp), etc.

At any rate, if anyone needs reassurance on using the Wicked GL drivers, my stats are (all drivers updated):

PIII 700mhz
SB Live
V5500 AGP
Latest 4-in-1 Via Drivers
512 ram
Win '98
USR Ext. 5686 modem
Edit: Forgot to mention I have turbo turned off in my CMOS.

And if you still have doubt, I used the same tip on MOHAA and the game finally bloody rocks!! I can view cutscenes, and the option menus aren't a garbled mess.

Ravioli
03-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys worked for me too :)

TegSkywalker
04-01-2002, 07:15 PM
I just found out the best way was to get a recent, up to date video card. I got sick of tooling with my Voodoo 3 back in the day to make certain games run.

Buy a new video card, it will help you in the long run :)

Erdrick
04-03-2002, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the wickedgl tip guys....using a voodoo3/3000 and it works fine now, though words are still blurry...

SlimChance
04-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Well, No luck here. I did everything that was suggested here and no change.

Downloaded WickedGL, change the cfg settings, pointed to the JKII directory and installed. Checked to make sure open32gl.dll file is in the proper directory(even copied into every directory. But NOTHING. Still blank screen on startup, and lockups on loading games.

I've got a temporary workaround from another thread, so I can still play the game. But this fix didn't do anything for me?

Athlon 1gHz
Voodoo 5
256 kRAM
Fortissimo II Sound

Any ideas?

Slim,

KRHJEDI
04-05-2002, 03:21 AM
ok...i have a V5 and tried using the Wicked GL trick....renaming the exes and what not.....when i try to start the game....the glsetup command window comes up then I get a popup dialog that says error. anyone know what the problem is?

iggy2k
04-05-2002, 01:38 PM
just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this wee voodoo faq. bought the game a couple of days ago and was quite upset to see what looked like the scrolling text through milk bottle bottoms :P hopefully once ive downed wicked and got ma x3dfx drivers i should be sorted :) and to think i nearly returned it

bertroid
04-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Try forcing the textures to 16 bits in the V5 advanced settings for OGL. That allowed the movies to play for me in MOHAA and JO.

DhalgrenJedi
04-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Just install the driver pack released by NuAngel. You can find them with google. They worked fine for my Voodoo 5.

His drivers are based on WickedGL and the rare unreleased Voodoo 6 driver code.

--
K

TYorke
04-06-2002, 02:43 AM
Guys, I am not sure if you heard about this or not but there has been a GlideXP Project in the works since last year when Windows XP was released.

http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/glidexp/

The recommended setup is to install the original 3dfx Windows 2000 Drivers WHQL from www.voodoofiles.com, download GlideXP (it only comes with glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll) and copy and paste these files into your Windows\System32 directory.

That's all there is to do, all your games will work with no problems. I run MoHAA and it works fine. Obviously it has some tears but maybe it is just my setup. You tweakers can probably make them disappear and if you do, give me a shout! :)

Zylmax
04-06-2002, 08:22 AM
I can now run jk2 on a voodoo2, and that works find. Thanks for posting these tips.

LightningBaron
04-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by KRHJEDI
ok...i have a V5 and tried using the Wicked GL trick....renaming the exes and what not.....when i try to start the game....the glsetup command window comes up then I get a popup dialog that says error. anyone know what the problem is?

u shouldnt really rename the exe's, use my tip on the previous page and add the game into wickedgl's game list

[edit] and get the latest drivers from www.x3dfx.com

im running the game on W98SE, 800athlon, V5500 AGP, 512MB RAM, x3dfx drivers, wickedgl...... ZERO problems!

wizard
04-07-2002, 04:09 AM
This makes me so angry all those people saying how slow and old voodoo 5's are, there the idiots that are running or have seen 1 on slow as 800mhz system im running an athlon 1.333 @1.5ghz and 256meg cas2 ddr ram and im getting 2700 on 3dmark 2001 i have a gf2 32megddr and that only gets 2550, running the v5 on my 866p3 yields only 1800 3dmarks so before you people underestimate the power of a v5 try running it in something with a bit of power and u might get a shock

wizard
04-07-2002, 04:23 AM
I actually came here to let you people know that you can run this game properly if you use wickedgl, i was forced to find a way when i found that the game wont load past the cutscene with dessan and luke fighting, now i already had quake3 installed running the wicked gl frivers so i pinched the wickedgl open gl file, but what u can do is get wickedgl from www.voodoofiles.com "the old free version 1b31"
then make a fake quake3 folder make a baseq3 folder in that and put any old exe in there and name it quake3.exe and install the driver there then put it in your jk2 folder and it runs sweeeeeet, after all the wgl driver is made to run voodoo cards and opengl driver in jk2 is made to run nvidia cards

Recoil
04-07-2002, 01:35 PM
Ok, so I did the wickedgl thing...

I downloaded the demo version and tried it with MOHAA... It worked, once!

Now on start up I have the usual press c to continue but when I try to start a new game MOHAA minimises and my PC wants to connect to the internet???? I tell it not to and then try to restore the game, I get the press c to continue, done, but then it crashes??

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andar72
04-08-2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by LightningBaron

u shouldnt really rename the exe's, use my tip on the previous page and add the game into wickedgl's game list

[edit] and get the latest drivers from www.x3dfx.com

im running the game on W98SE, 800athlon, V5500 AGP, 512MB RAM, x3dfx drivers, wickedgl...... ZERO problems!

What program did you use to edit the .cfg file? I copied your
lines into it and I couldnt get wickedgl to run at all.

[*TK*]Mr.Kill
04-08-2002, 08:01 AM
Hey Recoil I have the answer to ur mohaa conneting to the internet!

Just right-click on internet explorer and choose properties then choose the conntions tab. Then select the never dial a connection option click apply then ok. When you are finished playing mohaa if you have to use the internet the just change it back to always dial my default connetion.

Now whats this about wickedGL.......

My Voodoo 4 sucks!

[*TK*]Mr.Kill
04-08-2002, 08:50 AM
System specs:
Windows ME
AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz
128Mb SDRAM
32Mb Voodoo 4 4500 AGP

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Ive been begging my dad to buy me a GeForce but he wont buy any new grphics card so I thought I was stuck with my voodoo 4 and an eternity of probs but coz of you i downloaded wickedGL and i used it on mohaa and i can now see the movies. Also I can run mohaa on 1024x768 16-bit Extra high detail everything up to full at about 30fps which is great coz without wickdGL it was unplayable!

Thanks alot i am now going to try it with JK 2!

DarthBalls BONG
04-08-2002, 11:23 AM
UrzaTRI, you truly are a Jedi Master!

MOH: AA And Jedi Knight II now work fine on my Voodoo 5!
Cheers!

krebsy
04-08-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by dansolo
:racer: Wicked GL is the only way to fly :)

If you are using a Voodoo card. INSTALL WICKEDGL!.

K.

Recoil
04-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the wickedgl tips etc....

Thanks Mr.Kill, fingers crossed everythings OK. Hope your dad relents!!!

I am still running a Voodoo3 and I should get GEForce or something, some of my friends have and theyre really beginning to .... me off! Better save up....

Cheers

Recoil

Avicus
04-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Does WickedGL fix the blurry-ness that I have?
I have no problem running the game, except trying to load saved games after I have died.

I see Sky, I see Land, I see all the textures.

The Main Menu words are blurry and so is the captions in the cut-scenes.

Thanks

Mouthpiece
04-08-2002, 02:45 PM
I also want to add my thanks for the WickedGL tip. Once I realized the correct files to add it to (jk2sp.exe and jk2mp.exe), the game has been running like a dream. I can view all the cutscenes, the loadtime does not take as long, I can load saved games more than once and my computer does not crash.:)

I am running -
Voodoo5
PIII 800mhz
384 ram

Mouthpiece

Luu
04-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Well i dont have a v5.. My friend does..
and i went to this forum many times 2 look for solutions 2 fix his problem. his problem is that he cant see the words.. its like @@$$!@@#$$% or something like that.

He running a Voodoo5 on WinXP..
can some1 plz help me.. so i can help him..

He tried using drivers from x3dfx.com or voodoo files..
and it hasnt help. he tried copying the files opengl.dll , and etc into gamedata.. and nothing has change. Maybe i am missing something..

I WANT 2 HELP HIM..
h_luuluu@hotmail.com .. email me or post a reply if u can help me so i can help him..

Corinco
04-09-2002, 05:48 AM
A special thanks to dansolo and UrzaTRI for their tips on using WickedGL to play Jedi Knight. I almost returned the game to EBworld b/c I didn't want to go buy a Geforce.

I really appreciate it!!

The game runs like a champ on my Voodoo 5500. Cutscenes are perfect, great gamma, absolutely flawless!

take it easy...:)

GoudaSCI
04-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Hey All, i'm running on a Voodoo3 3000 and the game will run fine for a little while then it just crashes back to windows, no blue screen nothing, just zip and i'm back at the windowns desktop. I've done the WickedGL thing and i still seem to have the problem. Any ideas??

rcraven
04-09-2002, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to those who gave the WickedGL tips. I'd downloaded the drives from www.x3dfx.com and that hadn't fixed my problems, but WickedGL fixed everything. No more crashes, I could watch the cutscenes, and I can finally play more than one or two multiplayer matches before it crashes. Thank you thank you thank you. :)

Rob/NiteOwl

Leningrad
04-10-2002, 08:48 AM
awesome. wickedGL and all the crud i did to install it works just groovy. no more crashing every time i want to load.

thanks!

mr_bratty
04-10-2002, 11:18 AM
I use a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP card. JKII runs fine except it doesn't seem to want to play the Lucas Arts logo animation or the Star Wars movie intro at the start of the game. All other cutscenes do play and I haven't detected any other glitches other than that when you do a quickload, you won't get a screenshot of the saved game, you get some weird looking thing. But the game itself runs and plays fine.

SlimChance
04-10-2002, 03:20 PM
mr_batty,

I had the same exact issues you have with my setup. The game ran, but no startup sequences and weird video saved games.

I installed the Wicked GL driver and followed the instructions and it runs great! No problems.

Before my Voodoo 5, I had a Geforce DDR card. That thing would lock up so fast. But that voodoo card is stable, stable, stable. I am going to be so sorry, when I finally have to give it up. With the WickedGL, I get to keep it a little longer.

Slim,

Robert
04-10-2002, 04:17 PM
This game works even on a voodoo2 whit wicked gl
so i am sure it wil work on a voodoo5!!!:o

LordVanye
04-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Have any of you guys had problems with heat when using WickedGL? My overheat alarm has been going off while playing JKII. I've never had that problem before until I started using Wicked... I went out and bought a new heatsink and fan, but that didn't seem to help.
Any ideas?

meadfish
04-10-2002, 11:34 PM
I have my old pc in my son's room: AMD K62/500, 256ram, voodoo 3 2000. I was getting garbled lettering in MP so I tried most of the stuff on this page. I did not do the renaming senario because most seem to think that is unnecessary. What worked for me was to open the Wicked 3d file folder and copy the opengl32.dll driver and put it in the Outcast folder. I notice there was not one there already, only the openAl32.dll driver? I created a new folder to keep that in just in case. Seemed to work fine. I will test fps with this against the hi-res wicked driver, but i assume on this pc the regular will be best. ;)

Murasame
04-11-2002, 12:28 AM
:lsduel:

Thanks to everyone for these wickedgl tips. The game is running nearly perfectly now, there's only one problem I still have. I can't see the sky. Even after attempting the sky fixes already posted here I'm still unable to see anything. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly apprecited. And BTW, great job on making an excellent post to everyone who has contributed!

stridder9
04-11-2002, 01:32 PM
I loaded Dozer 1.1 off of 3dfx.com a couple for days ago and I finaly got the intitial cut screens of jk to work. But when the game came to a screen with a star field it freezes, solid. I have tried tweaking the 3dfx tools kit I downloaded and cannot get the thing to work. So I will try the wickedgl as soon as I get home tonight.
Wish me luck and many thx.:cool:

NAWIBO
04-12-2002, 12:34 PM
help me please before i put a bullet in my head:mad:
I have a voodoo 5 5500 agp running on xp.Well before I tried some of this stuff I couldn"t even get this game to open up without it freezing up my computer.Now after trying the wickedgl thing it opens but I dont get the scenes and when the start screen comes up the words are so distorted I dont know where to go
This wickedgl thing worked great with mohaa though.What drivers are you using.

LightningBaron
04-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Andar72

What program did you use to edit the .cfg file? I copied your
lines into it and I couldnt get wickedgl to run at all.

windows notepad, just add the two lines under the line for Hitman and dont alter anything else, and it should be fine. just make sure u add it to the list of games, DO NOT add it at the start of the file or at the very end, it has to be in the games list

stupidV5
04-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Hey 1st of all I want to thank everyone on this topic that posted tips and fixes I thank you people much it helped me to go from seeing nothing and locking up my comp to being able to play IN SINGLE PLAYER!
I just have two more proplems I cant seem to fix.
I am useing the WickidGL trick and that is how I get it to work in single player. but it only seems to work in chessy 640x480 and that is it. If I try to change and apply the settings that wickedGL message comes up and then the comp resets itself..... Any ideas?

The other proplem is multiplayer. What can I say it just won't lunch at all in multiplayer mode. again any ideas?

Thanks again for your help people.

Shadow_Drone
04-13-2002, 02:31 PM
I have a voodoo3 card, and i've gotten the game to run almost perfectly, (I'm quite surprised how well it runs on my archaic k6-2 450 and 64MB SDRAM) yet one problem remains. The opening crawl is unreadable. I can't read it, I dont even know what it says, its too blurry. Other than that somewhat minor problem, the game runs fine.

stuzzy
04-14-2002, 02:57 PM
A good site where some people still work on drivers and utilities.

3dfx Underground (http://nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/)

simonsel
04-16-2002, 12:42 AM
some1 help me out please!

windows xp, voodoo 4, i am using wicked gl (demo version)

without wicked gl i couldnt play at all, pc froze at start. installed wicked gl: still cant see intro movies (only on safe mode) and more important I CANT CHANGE THE LOW RESOLUTION 640x480. everytime i try to change the resolution i get the wicked gl demo message and computer freezes. the game runs perfectly with that resolution, perfect load and save, i can see sky, i think no blurriness?. thank you for your support.

CDA
04-16-2002, 06:27 AM
I have a Duron 800 with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP in my computer. I was happy to read that there would have been a solution for crashes when loading saved games in Jedi outcast for 3dfx cards.

Si I tried to use this WickedGL method but it doesn't work for me : I installed it as explained above, and when I start the game, the 3dfx logo displays correctly, then WickedGl tells it is a demo version, then I press "c". And then the system hangs up. Black screen, no ctrl-alt-del possible, just reset.

I've tried the 2 dll of WickedGL but the problem is still the same.

Does someone has a solution for me ?

stupidV5
04-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Copy all three .dll files form the WickedGL directory to the gamedata directory in the jedi directory.:fett: :fett:

Norg-the-Hutt
04-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Did the rename method and it worked! Sky was not messed up either. Thank you!!!

Remember you need to rename the jk2sp.exe (or whatever it is called), not the jedioutcast.exe. Renamed it, ran wicked, renamed it back, game worked right.

Did I say THANK YOU? No? Well THANK YOU!!!

:)

Fury161
04-22-2002, 01:46 AM
i'm having the same problems, i use a voodoo 3500, and i can't run in anything higher than 640 AFTER i installed the wickedGL drivers! help me to get this to work, please!

Elijah
04-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Find a way to remove the "press C to Contiue" once i bot WGL All my problems where over.

gish
04-29-2002, 12:46 AM
i copied all the .dlls from wickedgl folder to jedioutcast\gamedata. and thats it. worked like a charm. if you cant get the game to run on your voodoo give it a try.

cindarh
04-29-2002, 05:15 AM
Hey guys, I just got on this forum. I tried the WickedGL idea and I'm still getting the same response. I have a VooDoo 3 3500/TV with the most recent drivers I could find for Windows 2000 Pro and the game menu is really fuzzy, textures aren't showing up very well, frame rates are low even when I'm at 800x600x16. Any ideas on the 3500?

Thanx,
Cin

Styar Poin
04-29-2002, 07:49 PM
P3 450mhz
64mb ram
VooDoo 3
SB Live!
Window98

Game runs fine except with few small problems so far.

1. The game save screens are all the same as the last save I made.

2. The opening text where it tells you about whats going on in the galaxy before the game starts (like in the movies) is incredibly blurry which makes it impossible to read

3. On some stages the sky is there on others (like bespin) its just a big white thing. (I am about to try the sky fixes said before, hope that works.)

Anyone know how to fix problem 1 and 2?

Edit: Skies work now thanks.

Proxy103
05-01-2002, 06:57 AM
Hello

First i want to thank everyone who gave us thetip with wicked gl!!
Now JO and MoH works fine, but i have one little problem with MoH, I canīt see the weapon?!?!? Knows somebody what i can do? Here my System

PIII 500
V5 5500
415 MBRAM
Win ME

Thanks everyone who can help me!!

Proxy103
05-01-2002, 12:53 PM
I fixed the problem works all fine!!

jhward
05-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Guys,

Thanks for everything. Game would load but all I saw was a black screen. Downloaded Wicked GL. Copied dll files to Jedi Outcast Game folder and everything works like a charm. Amazing.

Thanks again.:D

martok
05-05-2002, 07:54 PM
mabye a bit hopefullbut anybody here use command and conqur renergade and do you get vid problems with that

DzastaM
05-05-2002, 11:27 PM
I started the game without wikedGl and all text and most images at the first main menu were all black blocks, (Ex:) The letter A would just be a black box. I installed wikedGl and did everything you guys were doing. And nothing seems to work, Plz help me I dont feel like taking this game back.

martok
05-06-2002, 03:56 PM
were are you putting the dll

disenter
05-07-2002, 04:04 AM
hi peeps, mines a voodoo 3 3000 ... the game works, seems to be ok in cut scenes an stuff, but i do have that problem with the famous scrolling text ... its all blurry.. unreadable ...
my main issue with it is, that i can play one game of it, an then when i screw up an die, an go to reload a previous savegame, or even just click to restart the level as it suggests, it just hangs... i can escape back to the main menu, but it refuses to load... and if it does actually look like its going to, and the bar gets all the way there, then it just dumps to windows (XP) and the gamma's 10x higher than it should be.... i found if i went to the advanced settings for display properties, and to 3dfx color, that returned the gamma to normal (better than rebooting atleast), but its still a pain in the arse!... i also found that the trick with changing a couple video settings seems to work to some degree, but its not fixing the problem, and is taking just as long as loading the whole game like i was having to before over again.
and as for this wickedgl thing.... is there anyone else here that has done this with Win XP Pro Corp ? and a Voodoo 3 3000 ?
cause it dont wanna work with mine, infact when i did that, it failed to even load... until i removed wickedgl's opengl driver again.
my systems very tidy, so i know its not that... ive updated the cards bios, given it the 3fdx underground 1.06 alpha drivers, which seem to be about the best for all round gl drivers, and MOH:AA, Q3, RTCW all work fine.. no problems/glitches at all... yet i keep having to reload the whole of JK2... just to load a savegame after dieing once!... HELP!!!

disenter
05-07-2002, 04:10 AM
wooops.. forgot sys specs ...

T-Bird 800mhz
Asus A7V Via Apollo KT133
512meg PC-133mhz SD-Ram
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Soundblaster Live! Value
C-Net 10/100 NIC
FlyVideo 2000 Tv Tuner/Capture
Sony 40x-52x CD
Ricoh 32x12x10 CDR/RW
2 x Western Digital 20 gig 7200 rpm (UDMA 4 - 66meg/s)

Win XP Pro Corp Edition. (2600)

RIPSTAR
05-08-2002, 01:42 AM
I am running Jedi 2 on a Voodoo 3000 with no problems even at 1024x768.
But having trouble with lack of mouse control of the pointer in the Save Game screen.
Any suggestions?

patterner
05-12-2002, 02:37 AM
Like everyone else Mucho thanks to Urzatri et al for the WickedGL info. Now on to my issue.

First, my sky things seems fine no biggie there. However, I noticed that in Nar Shadaa streets I have this wicked flicker all over the place, but it's the worst in the first bar you go to. I haven't tested it elsewhere yet, but I will and let you know. Any ideas on how to get rid of the flicker? I've jacked around with the in game settings (from lowest end to highest end) to no avail, and used the fiddled with the WickedGL panel as well. I'm on a Voodoo3 2000 and 3000 (2 comps).

Ok, just checked and it only seems to be in Nar Shadaa...it's REALLY annoying tho...about 100X worse than looking at a monitor set a 60Hz under bright fluorescents. Please help!

COTF_JC_Rohan
05-12-2002, 11:01 PM
I have a Voodoo5 5500 PCI with a Duron 900MHz alongside 320MB PC133 RAM. Using WickedGL JK2 runs perfectly.

My friend has a Voodoo3 3000 PCI with a Duron 650MHz alongside 128MB PC100 RAM. Using WickedGL JK2 runs perfectly.

Sorted. :D

Pier
05-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Slackercentral's 3dfx Refugees forum (http://boards.slackercentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9) is also a good place for 3dfx resources.

Red Devil
05-13-2002, 10:04 PM
hi does a voodoo 3 3000 work ?

DaRk_ShAdoW_381
05-13-2002, 11:33 PM
:*****) THANKS UrzaTRI YOUR A LIFE SAVER!!!!!

Icedagger
05-14-2002, 02:29 AM
Hmmhh.....I have one of the slowest systems here.....:) I've got:

Celeron 400
128 MB RAM
Voodoo 5

After downloading and installing WickedGL, I can see the scrolling text (as crisp as you please) and the cutscenes. I can also see the sky. The game runs excellently, even at 1024 x 768, although I'm thinking of cutting a few options down. Anyway, thanks for posting all the information. This has really helped!

nricom
05-16-2002, 01:28 AM
it shoulfd i have voodoo3 and use wicked know it runs good i even turned up settings, i run on 500mhz,128 ram and game run fine, i not sure what all these people are complaining so much about, yes game not perfect but its good. put in wicked gl in search a=then find one that supports quake 3 and follow directions.

Purple Monkey
05-18-2002, 06:17 PM
Before i d/l the drivers I had that box letter problem in mp. but now its fine.

I still cant see ANY of the scroling text at all before and after, they should of realy made that bit a FMV.

Fafner
05-20-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi all,
I've got a:
Voodoo5 5500 using the 1.04.01 drivers (http://www.x3dfx.da.ru/)
Athlon 1200/266
Win 98se

Only tried the demo so far, with the standard 3dfx ogl drivers the game run ok but no intro movie, with WickedGL it runs flawless http://www.plauder-smilies.de/flash.gif. Great graphics! i love the shadows, but the stormtroopers look like dorks http://www.plauder-smilies.de/yellows/nerd.gif.

The renaming routine is not necessary (as already pointed out by some), just copy opengl32.dll from the Metabyte/Wickedgl directory to the GameData directory.

At the x3dfx forums (http://pub43.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm2) they also suggest Voodoo5 users to add two lines to the config file (jk2config.cfg):

seta r_ext_fxt1 "1"
seta r_ext_texture_compression_fxt1 "1"

As far as I understand this makes the game use a compressed texture format (fxt1) best suited for Voodoo5's, but the game run fine also without these lines for me. If you have graphic trouble you might wanna try it.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/boldred.gif Fafner

fongaroos
05-21-2002, 07:00 PM
VOODOO 5 5500, AMD athlon 1700+, windows XP pro edition

thats what im running
i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get jk2 running
im not sure if i need to update the drivers or update directx
anyone running a similar setup know how to fix this problem?

i downloaded wickedgl, tried copying the dlls to the folder...didnt work

tried editing the cfg of wickedgl, added the lines of code...the program wouldnt start

tried changing the name of the exe and all that mess...didnt work
NOTHING IS WORKING!!! ARGH?!?!!

the only thing i can think of the driver
what driver are you guys using?
i think im just using the drive that windows supplied because i couldnt find another driver that worked...

ive been reading the boards and checking all over the net...i cant seem to get my v5 workin ARGH!!!!!!

please help...

highlander3708
05-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Heres what to do step by step !

First go to (www.voodoofiles.com) go to the 3rd party drivers and download the Amigamerlin 2.1 or the dozer 1.1 for xp these drivers are the best in all the web, you can also use the original tools for the voodoo 5 5000. Try to read the readme file before install the drivers :c3po:

Next step look in the drivers package for the wickedgl forder thats cointans the full version, included in dozer or amigamerlin drivers . Take the wickedgl file and rename the file to opengl32.dll.
Put this file in the lucasart gamedata folder. Now you are all set for kick some buts!

Im in a PIII , Voodoo5 5000 agp, 384 rams of memory

all works fine!!!

Sn1PeR
06-03-2002, 05:39 PM
I have gotten wicked gl to work, but after I play the game my desktop is very bright, how do I fix this? I've restarted and it is still too bright.

Sn1PeR
06-03-2002, 05:49 PM
forgot to write about my system, I'm using windows 2000

Hardware:
Voodoo 3, 3000 AGP
AMD K7 750Mhz
256MB PC-100 RAM

Sn1PeR
06-03-2002, 05:59 PM
I fixed the desktop color problem by installing 3dfx tools and the old 3dfx drivers....

Is there any way to get the brightness slider to work w/ a voodoo 3 3000?

Fishflesh
06-08-2002, 05:17 PM
AND SMOOT YES!

06-08-2002, 06:21 PM
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
cure for this anyone? would really appreciate it

also, i use a voodoo 3 2000 PCI

Shadow_Drone
06-08-2002, 11:21 PM
AMD K6-2 450MHZ
64MB PC100 RAM
Voodoo3 2000 PCI
ESS PCI Audiodrive (onboard sound)
Windows 98SE

Using the WickedGL drivers solves all my problems but one. THE OPENING CRAWL! It is incredibley blurry and unreadable, as stated before. I would give anything to see it properly! if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post!

smego
06-18-2002, 02:03 AM
I've read everyones post's about low f.p.s's and slow level loading times and after trying all the tips found on the board this is how I solved my low f.p.s problem:

Spec:

Windows 2000 service pack 2
Amd Athlon 1.33ghz
20gb Seagate
nvidia Riva TNT2 64 32mb

First check you are doing this:

-running directx8.1

-disabled your virus scanner

I first tried game with my Voodoo3 3000 which was very slowwww.
Swopped it for my nvidia riva tnt2 but this fix might work with the voodoo if i can be bothered swopping them again.

So....in the game under console I read that JO was using a voodoo 3 gl driver when I was running with my nvidia riva tnt so I installed the latest DetonatorXP ( for win2k ) driver but it was still slooowww as heck. So i searched for the gl driver "opengl32.dll" and found it in c:\windows\system\opengl32.dll then I just moved it out of there into somewhere safe in case it didnt work and hey presto! all problems solved! the game is now super smooth with loading times of levels around 20 seconds, and quick loads of 10secs. :D

This worked for me anyway I cant guarantee it workin anywhere else but try it and see, just check what Gl drivers ure video card is using make sure they are upto date and are not clashing with other vid drivers.

Im gonna try the fix with my voodoo so i'll update 2morrow.

Sedryn
07-06-2002, 03:46 AM
:confused: :mad:

Celeron 700
VooDoo 5 5500 PCI
192MB RAM
Windows XP Pro

I've tried the WickedGL fix...NOPE...WickedGL wouldn't even load. I've tried using dozer 1.1 ...NOPE...the game started, but with a black screen...and then locked up the computer...and really screwed up the voodoo....had to un-install tehn re-install the voodoo to fix it...

Any advice???

Dusty_Miller11
07-11-2002, 01:02 AM
I can't join multiplayer games! Even after I got WickedGL it get's past the thing where you push "c" to continue and then it just goes black and freezes! Any help?

qui_gon_5
07-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi at all,

....I'm quite new in this forum, but, first of all, I have to say thanks at all you for having found out how to run JO with our common video cards... :)

....There are a cup of days that I'm surfing around the web looking for the best drivers for my voodoo5 5500 that can not only be suitable for JO, but for other games too (...I've a brother who likes Flight Sim....:D )
...so, after a big format, now I'm trying the different drivers, from Dozer 1.1 to Amigamerlin 2.1, followed by the Undergrounds and x3dfx 1.08...

...I have to say that my configuration is the following:
PIII 800 133Mhz
512Mb ram 133Mhz
Voodoo5 5500 AGP
SB Live! 5.1
Monitor Philips 107T
Windows XP Home Edition

...now, I'm experiencing the following problems:

* JO is pretty playable in 640x480 mode, but when I try to switch to 800x600 or better 1024x768, all freeze up and I gotta reboot for an error caused by the 3dfxvs.dll, which is a file coming with the drivers...

* with other games I'm having serious problems of graphics...there are black horizontal lines appearing in the video or the images are flashing....and sometimes the desktop appears with lighted colours...

...so, my question is...with the previous configuration, which is the better driver combination?

...thanks for all, and sorry If I was a little (...but just a little :D ) verbose...

...bye...

Nick :) :)

rama_qwerty
07-13-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by GarbageCanDroid
THANKYOU for this info! I signed up for this forum just to say thanks!

My Voodoo 4500 is running the game great now :)

Lukeskywalkie
07-28-2002, 11:20 AM
ummmm... I'm having the same problem as you guys, and I have a Voodoo 4500 pci, and I have tried wickedGL, is there some specific way to set it up? I'm still havng the same problems. every other quake III engine game I have works better than perfect, and that stuff about 3dfx being out of buisness doesn't justify not having the game compatible with it. It worked with you guys, and one of you had a voodoo 4 and signed up to say thank you for the tip. please help! this is a $40 game, and I like my accelerator.

davadvice
08-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks for that UrzaTRI
i was totaly stuck as the suport for the game is rather poor
have any of you looked at the site for support ??? if you have a Voodoo 3/4/5 it basicly says your stuffed as nvidia took over..
not so good is it ??

The_Gunslinger
11-22-2002, 08:04 PM
I just found this thread and wanted to try it myself with my VooDoo 3 3000 card. I checked out their site and it is no longer up and running. Does anybody know where to find a copy of this software? I checked www.versiontracker.com, www.fileplanet.com, www.google.com, and www.download.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

tucocoloco
11-23-2002, 10:28 PM
try voodoofiles.com, and get the 2.31 version, its the last free, version that doesnt have the nag screen. I tried to buy a copy from metabyte 2 months ago, but they said they no longer sell it (nice), due to tech problems

highlander3708
11-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Heres the full wickedgl last version !! They are not selling the program no more so download and save it !!

WickedGl !!!! (http://members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/)

:D

The_Gunslinger
11-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Thank you very much. Those drivers made a hugh difference. I was only getting about 20-25 fps and the game would crash after finishing the first leve. Now I am getting about 40-45fps and the game runs beautifully.

__________________________________________________ _______

PIII 1.1ghz 256mb Ram 40gb HD VooDoo 3 3000 PCI WinME

Bear
12-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Just registered here, I've been trying all day to get WickedGL so I can play Outcast again....but I can't find a working version. The one a few posts above doesn't seem to work. So can anyone, please, tell me where to get WickedGL or possibly send it to me?

I'm having with-drawls, I need to swing a light saber again.

Thanks,
Bear.

Hekx
12-14-2002, 09:39 PM
WickedGL v4.99 OpenGL Driver (http://members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/stuff/wkgl499.zip),
WickedGL v3.02 OpenGL Driver (1.6M .RAR Self Extracting Archive: File 1) (http://members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/stuff/wickedgl302.part1.exe) &
WickedGL v3.02 OpenGL Driver (1.6M .RAR Self Extracting Archive: File 2) (http://members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/stuff/wickedgl302.part2.exe)

You should be able to download them directly, hopefully, post back if you have problems downloading the file.
I personally don't know which one you need.
The page with the downloads is available here (http://members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/voodoo3.html). (Scroll down ;))

Bear
12-16-2002, 03:10 AM
Works better than ever now, thanks everyone.

-Bear

Pa3PyX
01-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Note: to download WickedGL from the links above, you have to be on the page (members.fortunecity.com/pa3pyx/voodoo3.html) and have Referrer Logging enabled in your browser (IE calls it Page Hit Counting). The reason is that FortuneCity does not allow direct downloads from off-site links.

Crow_Nest
09-23-2003, 07:58 AM
My friend has a Voodoo video card, and it works for jk2.