PDA

View Full Version : freezing.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Vertig0
04-16-2002, 08:20 PM
You don't seem to have much of a point in the first place. As I already stated, many people seem to be having issues only with JK2, unless you missed that part of my post.

Your immature ranting is starting to get on my nerves... I'm not going to bother rebutting the rest of your post.

Instead, I'll leave a little something for you to think about...

http://www.mountaincable.net/~vertigo/fag.jpg

DoctorDuran
04-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Exitium, I checked Dxdiag per your suggestion but AGP texturing acceleration is enabled. The 28.xx detonator drivers might be doing something sneaky, but hey, it works and I'm not complaining! ;) I figured since JKII runs off a modified Quake3 engine there must be some OpenGL elements involved. If not, it's a weird fix for a stranger problem. In case anybody's interested, here's my system config.

Abit KR7A-133
AMD XP 1800
512MB Kingston
Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

faction
04-17-2002, 12:58 AM
I am freezing allot in game randomly, and i wish it was brr freezing not.. system hard shutdown freezing..

My Cpu :

AMD Athlon XP (+1600)
WinXP
Soundblaster Audigy
Geforce 2MX 400
512DDR Ram

=/ game freezes randomly.. sometimes it will give me an error and pops up with an error report to send to microsoft.. sometimes it just freezes.. sometimes it just loops.. =(
i know we are all having the same problam, but im hoping there is some genious out there that has been able to fix this OTHER than buying new ****.. i shouldnt have to buy a new video card to play a game i bought :mad: ... Raven better come out with a new patch soon or i wont buy any of games devolped by them again.

i have also tried uninstalling my 28.33 detenator drivers and going to back to 23.11 =/ no luck..

Heddenman
04-17-2002, 01:08 AM
I have been having the same problem with the game freezing now for about two weeks. The funny thing is , that the first time I saw this problem was last month in MOHAA. Ever since then, these games have been locking up at random times. Just recently, I assembled myself a brand new system..bnone of the components the same as my old system..and a fresh new install of windows XP. Guess what...I had the lock up problems again. The thing that puzzles me is that once it happened in one game, now it is happening in similar ones ...RTC and MOHAA, as well as Jedi Knight 2.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, because I'm sure my hardware is good. Hopefully sometime soon, somebody or some Jedi Master will figure out a solution.
Keep the faith people, maybe one day we'll be able to play this game without the constant fear of " Mr Freeze".

Jedi_THX1138
04-17-2002, 04:40 AM
The Freeze is strong in this one....

:band: *BUMP*:band:

AutoSear
04-17-2002, 05:35 AM
Add me to the list...

I first experienced the lock-up playing Multiplayer duel. I will generally crash within an hour when playing online. After reading this thread, I went back and launched a single player game of MOHAA. I'll be damned if it didn't crash within 15 minutes. It never used to before I installed JK2.

Specs:

Epox 8k7a
Thunderbird 1.2GHz
256 Crucial DDR 2100
Asus GF2 GTS
SB Live 5.1

Win XP Home (Fully patched)
Det 28.32
Newest Creative XP drivers

"That's no moon, that's my butt" :deathii:

"laser"
04-17-2002, 08:05 AM
I have been having this problem since day one of install... But I was previously having the same problem (well similar) in Unreal Tournement.

After reading the various posts here I updated my BIOS and installed the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers, since then... No Lockups!!

I am now very happy and enjoying this superb game.

Hope others find this cures their problems too...

By the way my motherboard is an Epox 8k7a....

Lemmy
04-17-2002, 08:24 AM
My problem (loops/freezing) is solved as well.

System specs:

Athlon 1G
256 Mb PC-133
ATV133-c
Gainward 2 MX200 32mb
SB 64 PCI
Win98 SE
AGP aperture 32Mb

One week ago I had functioning system but I changed my Detonators from 28.32 back to 23.11 as I had performance problems. Stupid me.

Then everything was f*cked-up. Even DX-diagnostics didn't work out well.

- reinstalled win98 SE into the same directory

- Changed my bus speed from 133 MHz to 130 MHz to avoid any RAM-problems

- reinstalled DX 8.0a from JO-CD and checked that DX-diag worked out well

- installed 4in1 driver ver 4.34 (shouldn't be using higher ver with win98)

- uninstalled 23.11

- installed 28.32

- unistalled JO and manually deleted all registry-settings that had "jedi"-label in them

- reinstalled JO

Now it Works perfect with 800-600 16-bit.

With 1024x768 I have performance-problems alias FPS drops quite low. 32-bit-mode have occasional sound-loops but don't crash. 16-mode with 800-600 doesn't have anything wrong.

And. It is truly a beatiful game with great story in it.

Good luck.

jereboa
04-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Okay, here's my status...

After installing the latest SB Live 5.1 drivers the freezing was down to every 30 to 45 minutes. This atleast made the game playable...

After seeing so many SB cards in the woe list and noting this improvement I pulled the SB card and re-anable the onboard sound. Same issue...

I re-installed my system with 2K Pro (Server before) and got all my drivers up to date. The first app I installed was JO and... Same issue...

I did notice, however, that I did not have the AGP Texture option in DX Diag so I checked my BIOS and the vid was set to PCI not AGP (ECS P4S5A mainboard). When I set it to AGP the system failed to post with a long string of beeps indicating no video...

Reset the CMOS (defaulting back to PCI) and it boots...

Updating my BIOS resolved the AGP issue and I now have all three options in DX Diag....

After so many crashes even on this new build I re-formatted this morning and installed 2K Pro again...

I will re-install JO tonight and let you know if the AGP bit was the problem; I suspect that it is...

nuff said...

joey_kool
04-17-2002, 03:59 PM
I get freezing too.

Most of the time it's when it's the end of the map in MP and it loads a new one. Just freezes.

When I try and look at the scores in MP (especially when dead) the game pauses for a second or two. Really annoying.

SP has been good however (touch wood!), but I get illegal operations sometimes instead. But rarely.

Exitium
04-17-2002, 05:27 PM
I was playing a game of RTCW last night and had the freeze loop thing after about an hour but instead of cold freezing my computer it simply gave me some .dll error with the game file and dropped me back to the desktop.

I wish that sort of thing would happen in JK2, but instead it cold boots the computer. Nasty stuff.

I hope we get a fix for this soon.

SAGOA
04-17-2002, 06:00 PM
I've noticed a lot of people state that the game freezes in a specific amount of time i.e. "every 10 minutes". One important and basic troubleshooting fact is that computers freezing up in a specific time pattern could very well be due to overheating. Whether it be your video card or CPU, make sure all fans are running (or heat sinks attached) and the your computer case is securely covered with no bare ports open on the rear (promotes proper air circulation). The computer should also have at least 6 inches of space in back for the fan to push out warm air. Just my two cents :amidala:

jimbobjedi
04-17-2002, 08:09 PM
"Hi,
Thank you for your message.
I'm not really sure what else to try here. This should be working for you, you have everything set correctly and your system looks fine. You may want to return the software to your retailer at this time. I'm sorry I couldn't get this going for you.
LEC JAY"

----- a message from the Lucasarts technical help adviser

I dont blame him for this, he is just doing his job. But Lucasarts and Raven have a lot to answer for.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Phenoman
04-17-2002, 09:12 PM
It seems that I solved my problem...but dont know excactly why...
Instead of the 28.32 detonator I installed the 23.11....furthermore I installed riva tuner and nvmax.....I changed to agp 2x...after that I installed the amd agp port mini driver and the athlon agp patch...after all this my jk2 runs fine....5 hours without any freeeing...

Chiles4
04-17-2002, 09:47 PM
I was poking around the forums over at viaarena and saw a thread about freezing. Someone, who appears to be quite experienced, recommended:

- Setting your AGP speed to 2X in your bios
- Installing your VIA AGP driver in "Normal" mode not "Turbo"

One person said that all his freezing troubles went away when he set his bios to AGP 1X - I know, I know 1X, ouch.

I'd say since this is very easy to undo it's worth a shot. His "theory" is that VIA boards are still not cutting it with AGP 4X.

Someone also recommended the very latest VIA AGP driver found in the 4.38 VIA drivers.

Non-VIA users can ignore all the above.

jimbobjedi
04-18-2002, 12:14 AM
Yup - that sorted it for me - just played the yavin final level (here it used to crash all the time) and now I played right through no problems - all it was was the agp 4x mode - switched to 2x and everything is fine
:D :D :D :D :D

netskimmer
04-18-2002, 01:15 AM
I have a VIA chipset but I can't find the setting you are referring to in my bios, the only AGP setting I have uses megs not 2x or 4x. Also someone in another post said that the freez w/sound loop is a known problem with the quake 3 engine and that there is a file that can fix it but he doesn't remember the name or where to get it, does anybody else know about this?

Demolisher
04-18-2002, 11:59 AM
These solutions are too complicated. I'm sure Raven can just fix this in a patch, if they ever come back to the forums! :mad:. That's Raven, make a game and then leave it.

Game freezes all the time for me and I hate it especially when it does during a duel online, or any duel for that matter.

Zytos
04-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Here's something a little interesting:

I used to be able to play the game fine, without crashes. I didnt even see this thread or knew so many people were having a problem.

Then I installed a program called Adaware, which looks through your registry and finds embedded ad software in your registry and cleans it out. Well, after deleting a few adware keys in my registry, my game started to have the crash symptoms talked about here. About 10 minutes into every multiplayer game it would crash. The fool that I am, I didn't make a backup of my registry.

I tried: Reinstalling game, reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling windows, reinstalling DirectX, copying the CD to my HD and installing from there. But to no avail.

Then I uninstalled JKO and deleted EVERY SINGLE key that contained "Jedi" in my registry. I installed again, and it works fine now.

I know this solution was posted before, but maybe someone like me, ran a similar registry program and screwed themselves.

Let me know if this helps.

Phenoman
04-18-2002, 01:52 PM
you can change your agp speed with programs like power strip or nvmax...

TearForger
04-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Throwing in my .02$

I origonally had this problem bad with RTCW. In RTCW it happened in loads and during levels.

I flushed the system formatted the HD, replaced the memory chips so they were one brand and did a clean install of win2kpro.

The game went from very repetitive crashes to random crashes. it could be 3 minuites or three hours. In single or Multi. I also stopped freezing during loads. The 1.03 patch helped as well (1.01 made it worse, 1.03 made it more infrequent).

Then I installed JK2. (THESE ARE THE ONLY NON WIN2K PROGRAMS ON THE COMPUTER)

JK2 shows the Exact same prediliction to freezing randomly. It has never happened to me mid load or cutscene.

The game runs perfect with no slowdown ever, and no control or sound problems. (except I have to keep reconfiguring the controls every time I start the damn thing)

The problem also increases the longer you live with it. The freezes become more frequent until you re-install the game. Which i have already done.

Its the EXACT same issue in both RTCW and JK2

My specs.

AMD 700mhz processor
256k ram
Nvidia GeForce 3 200/64 newest drivers
soundblaster

TearForger

Exitium
04-18-2002, 07:46 PM
It seems to be a common problem with all Quake 3 engine games, though much more frequent with JK2.

Hmm, in any case, I was wondering - for all those of you who can run the game without it freezing/crashing, what is your PCI Latency in your BIOS set to? Mine's currently set to the default 32, but I figure that it might be associated to the freezes in these games based on the problems VIA users have with their motherboard. While I'm not running a VIA, I am running an ALi board which may or may not have the same issue that's yet undiscovered.

TheHighness
04-18-2002, 10:01 PM
I had freezing problems. The only thing that i did to remove them from all my games is to reduce agp to 2x instead of 4x
thats it, the problems will be solved

If you guys want to make sure that you are running on 2x agp then download this prog ZTAGPTool111

thatll do it, have fun with the game

Exitium
04-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Sweet Jesus, I just had a 3-hour long game of Jedi Knight II. Guess what, it finally works!

I'm not sure what I did, but here's all of the changes I made since the last time I played JK2:

1. Downloaded 28.32 drivers and installed them. Like I said before, I had this little problem with the new drivers not activating AGP Texture Acceleration on my computer. Well, I fixed that with Riva Tuner. Turns out it was a driver problem with ALiMAGIK1-based motherboards like my Asus A7A266.

Anyone having a problem with new NVidia drivers (beyond 23.11) should get RivaTuner to enable ALi motherboard support.

If you don't already have 28.32, I totally recommend them for what ever Nvidia card you're using. The graphics are a lot crisper and you don't get ****ed up crashes with RTCW.

2. Tweaked my BIOS to use 2x AGP instead of 4x. There's not much difference in 2x and 4x compared to 1x and 2x, anyway, so it's no big loss. If anything, it's very stable.

3. Installed ALi's AGP 1.90 drivers for my motherboard. They were released a couple of days ago, apparently to ammend stability issues with the motherboard. Been working quite lovely, really. I think that these drivers are the things that may have fixed my freezing problems.

4. Switched to 800x600 mode.

In any case, it could have been a combination of my graphics card overheating (hence the game freezing up about 10 seconds the second time you tried to play after it froze up the first time, rebooted and restarted the game) and AGP issues with MY motherboard.

Great to see it's working fine for me now. :)

I'm going to try to play it in 1024x768 and see if I experience any freezes.

Vertig0
04-19-2002, 01:50 AM
Wow!! Dropping to 1X AGP has made my ENTIRE SYSTEM more stable! I also "underclocked" my perma overclocked (500@800) Athlon to a measly 760... Lol!! JK2 runs like a dream now. Not to mention the rest of my system..

I'm going to try re-enabling game settings and DX Sound acceleration one at a time. Will let you know how it goes...

Solution = lowering AGP settings!

Exitium
04-19-2002, 02:24 AM
Aye!

Vertig0
04-19-2002, 02:32 AM
Ok... Just confirmed - played for like an hour without crashes - DX sound accel. at max, all in-game options (GL ext., high qual. sound, volumetric shadows, etc.) turned on!

Seriously, before changing my AGP settings I'd be lucky to hit "load" before the game crashed. Now... it's all good!! Woot! Looks like I might actually be able to finish the game now!

gravioli
04-19-2002, 03:17 AM
I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.

viper66
04-19-2002, 07:17 AM
Like Zytos I was using the AdAware Program.
So I did what he suggested and completly removed AdAware, deinstalled JK2 and removed all remaing 'Jedi' registry entries.

Reinstalled the game and raised the resolution from 640x480 (texture details medium, all others set to minimium due to my System) to 800 x 600 (now all details off)
And.... the frezzes are gone

I'am not sure if AdAware caused the Problem but as long as I can play JK2 I'll definitly not try to find that out ;)

BTW: My System is similar to the one Mikroba posted earlier -
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200
PIII 500
192 MB Ram
Savage IX 8MB
Win XP
and like his machine, mine can handle the game even in 800x600 (at least, the indoor levels *lol*)

Exitium
04-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by gravioli
I used to have major AGP problems in the past in several games, and found disabling Side Band Addressing (SBA) and Fast Writes (FW) with NVMax or similar Nvidia or Radeon tweaking utility, and things worked great. SBA and FW don't affect performance much anyway. You may look into it, especially disabling SBA. If you own a Geforce card it's recommended to disable it anyway for stability reasons. Check the Geforce FAQ (http://www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi) for more info.

I still have FW and SBA on and they're not causing any problems for me. Just had another hour long game without any crashes whatsoever. But now I'm stuck at Nar Shaada, *lol*.

Simon B
04-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.

jasho
04-19-2002, 01:01 PM
Well...It seems like reducing the AGP transfer rate solved most of the problems out there regardless of the motherboard type. Out of curiosity, who are still having problems after lowering the AGP transfer speed? If not many, than this was definately the major problem that RAVEN has to fix or the mobo manufactures have to fix. Anyway, glad to see people playing. This means more meat on the servers :D

Chiles4
04-19-2002, 01:55 PM
If the problem for many people is that AGP 4X causes freezes, then I doubt that Raven will be able to do anything about it. It would be more related to VIA's implementation of the AGP Bus. The word is that Intel has by far the best implementation of the AGP bus (they created it) and that other chipmaker's implementations just aren't as good. And if any problems are going to appear, they're going to happen when running at AGP 4X!!

I can't say that Nvidia is totally blame-free on the AGP 4x issue, but I think it's more likely to be the chipset's fault.

Seems that JK2 and maybe RTCW too, are stressing our systems more than any game has done before. I wonder if anyone out there with Intel-chipset boards is having any problems with AGP speed - I think it would be much less likely.

Glad to hear that some of you have got the game playable now! I just started sabering the first few Dark Jedis in SP and there's nothing like beating a Dark Jedi on Master Level! :fett:

Andy Wan Kenobi
04-19-2002, 04:16 PM
I too have had problems with freezing, sometimes I'll not be able to move at all, sometimes I'll have kyle running in one direction constantly with no way to control him...

I'll try some of the things suggested here before I finally go insane and throw my computer down the stairs. Thanks all :p

nilus1
04-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Heat seems to be one of the problems with JKII

Lowering your AGP down to x2(or even x1) seems to help justify that it is a heat problem.

Somehow JKII seems to tax Video cards really hard, which causes them to overheat.

I actually solved the problem without reducing my AGP to x2. Several compainies make fans that are designed to be plugged into PCI slots. I bought one and plugged it in directly next to my Video Card. Now I have no freezing.(note I also had a device IRQ conflict that needed to be fixed, but when that was fixed I went from freezing every 5-10 minutes, to freezing after 1-2 hours. After I got the extra fan. Everything seems to run great.

scottws
04-19-2002, 09:27 PM
I am having single player lockups as well.

Intel PIII 933
512MB SDRAM
WinXP Pro
VisionTek GeForce 3 (23.11 Detonator)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

My sound doesn't loop though. I get a screech for 1 1/2 seconds and then nothing - complete silence.

The wierd thing is that I was only seeing these crashes once every couple days when I first started playing. Now I'm on the Doomgiver, and I can play about 1 minute before I get a hard lock and am forced to reboot. So by the end of the game I figure it'll crash right after I load a game.

My crashes seem to be related to sound. A crash usually follows right after the opening of a door, or a big firefight - places where sounds occur.

I've tried many suggestions. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 23.11 Detonator XP drivers. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've set my desktop color depth to 16-bit. I've played around with different com_hunkmegs settings (currently set to 192). I checked to make sure I was running current Audigy drivers (I was). None of this seems to have any bearing on the crashes.

I'll try that VIA 4 in 1 thing that someone mentioned, but it doesn't seem to me to be related to the graphics card or AGP slot at all. It seems like the game has bugs in the way it handles sounds or something.

Chiles4
04-19-2002, 09:48 PM
scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

Nilus1, you're right that heat should always be the first suspect with lockups, either a overly warm cpu or gpu. But having used VIA for the last 5 years, I have heard alot about VIA's suspect AGP implementation. And how they've continually tried to address this through their 4-in-1 drivers.

So, by all means, determine if your cpu or video card is getting too warm. It might help to get a small house fan blowing right into your open case to see if heat is truly your culprit. But, seeing that lowering the AGP speed is helping people, I immediately think, "oh it's VIA up to their old magic, again!".

scottws
04-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by MadAtGod
[B]Oh, ToiletDuck...this should fix your save loop/crash problem you are stuck in. Bring down the console, you can do it from the options screen even I think. Type in devmapall. After that type in map then a space then the name of the map you are on, or the next map if you want, that way you can restart the level or skip it.

Then you can go have fun and crash at one of the many other scenic locales 5 minutes later! Joy! Here is a list of all the maps:

LOL

At least we can try to be as light hearted as possible about this problem.

scottws
04-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by MadAtGod
Plus it's Star Wars, big George wouldn't let anything taint his universe. He takes his baby seriously, he just hired another homeless guy to help his kids finish the script for Episode 3, and I heard the crayon on Vanilla Ice's contract is already dry! Wooot!

History would state otherwise. There have been many crappy Star Wars games. George isn't as concerned with the quality as he is with the dollars.

scottws
04-19-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Chiles4
scottws, got any extra sound cards lying around to temporarily swap with the Audigy? Or even onboard sound? Not the easiest thing but if you're confident about it being sound related, it might at least narrow down your troubleshooting.

I do have onboard sound also. I might try that. I shouldn't have to rip apart my computer just to play one game though.

Genocide52
04-20-2002, 12:08 AM
I envy all of those who were able to just turn down their AGP transfer rate from 4x to 2x. I tried lowering mine from 4x, then to 2x, and even down to 1x and it did not help at all. My computer tends to crash when I watch the movies. I've managed to play the game quite a bit but I have no idea what the story line is like. I even went so far to re-install my VIA 4-in-1 Drivers and getting RivaTuner to try to tweak my card (unfortunatly, everything is grayed out). Hopefully the problem will be solved for everyone soon.

scottws
04-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Hmmm. Well after reading the entire thread now, I'm still at a loss.

I've tried almost every solution (except nvmax - my AGP bus is already set at 2x). I'm guessing that it indeed is an overheating problem for me. That would explain why the crashes seemed more frequent the more I tried to play the game. I'd get a PCI fan, but all my PCI slots are full. I'll just have to play the game in short bursts until I get my new mobo, processor, and [non-HP] system case (with lots of fans).

It seems that Raven won't be able to come up with anything considering the vast differences in solutions, though it does seem odd that this problem only started occurring in JKII for most people, including myself. If it is indeed an overheating problem, I wonder why I never experienced anything like this in MOH:AA or RtCW. I used to play RtCW for four hours straight all the time, sometimes more than once a day and NEVER had a single lockup.

Who knows. I guess I hope Raven can fix it.

Genocide52
04-20-2002, 01:59 AM
I just got done playing without my case on to see if it was just overheating. Whoa is me when I found out that wasn't the case. All that accomplished was to really screw up my computer after the hard reboot (did not detect my HD :freakout: ) Luckily everything was ok. I did manage to corrupt my saved games but that's no big deal (just means I get to play some more, hopefully without the loops/crash) The thing that gets me is the game is still running when my sound loop starts and then when I go to quit/save the game freezes and I have to reboot. If the sound goes out during a movie, everything just freezes instantly and so I have to cold reboot. I even tried to underclock my videocard using RivaTuner but to no avail (by the way...anyone know the factory clock speeds of the GeForce 2 GTS/Pro64 MB DDR?). I guess that's all I really have to say for now. Hopefully we get some answers soon.

:duel:

Represents our fight against the sound loops & freezes :)

Surfware
04-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Add me to the list of sudden freezes.

Athlon 1.3
256 RAM
Win 2k
Geforce2 MX 400 64mb
SB Live!
Expensive CPU fan
Expensive case heat-extractor below the GF2

I've tried all sorts of configs, but nothing worked. I keep on crashing after a few minutes of gameplay. I didn't freeze in the first levels, I started to freeze in the Yavin Temple, and now i can't play for more than 5 mins without crashing.

I guess it's just a bug of the game that makes certain setups crash, i doubt whether it's an overheating problem, cause my CPU temperature is 40 when i play the game, which means the temperature is OK.

Also, it happens only in the SP game, i can play MP for hours and never froze.

CONCLUSION: don't mess with the configurations, it's just a bloody bug that needs a patch to fix it. So, be patient, and let's hope the patch comes out very soon, cause I (and i'm sure many of you) are really ****ed up with this problem. :( :( :( :( :(

Phenoman
04-20-2002, 11:09 AM
yesterday I finished the game...played straight form mission 15: cairn assembly up to the end and it chrashes only once...thats ok for me....I think my problem is solved

Mormegil
04-20-2002, 12:27 PM
I feel for ya! I was having freezes about every 5 minutes (but I don't think it was until after Yavin, like someone else mentioned) - and now I'm freeze free.

I don't think it's a heat problem. At least, it wasn't for me. I was having freezing problems with my Gf3 running at normal settings. I haven't changed my AGP transfer rate. As I mentioned earlier, I grabbed new XP drivers from Creative. I've had no freezes since, But instead of being a good technician and doing one change at a time, I was getting frustrated and did a number of things. So I can't be 100% the new drivers fixed it. I now run the game fine, and have overclocked my GF3 and still no freezes. So I don't think I can blame it heat. I haven't added any fans or other cooling devices.

You could also try uninstalling JK2, defrag your HD, and do a fresh install (you could copy in your savegames after). That's what I did along with the new Creative drivers.

Demolisher
04-20-2002, 12:45 PM
I haven't done anything yet, so I still get JK2 freezing. But guess what! I was playing Elite Force last night and it crashed one time. I'm starting to think it might be the Quake 3 engine or something :snear:

Simon B
04-20-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Simon B
Windows XP Pro, P4 2.0A, ABIT TH7-RAID II, 512MB RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy, Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600.

The drivers are the latest from the appropriate vendors sites.

Installed the Audigy soundcard as I thought it might have been the on-board sound that was causing the problem.

Can sometimes play for about 45 mins, but it always crashes at some point with the freeze / looping sound.

Will try the AGP x 1 BIOS setting (tried 2 x last night).

Has there been any official comment at all from Lucasarts?

Simon.
2 x AGP is as low as my BIOS will go, and that hasn't fixed it.

Also tried installing under Win98SE, and the problem still occurs.

Vertig0
04-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Upon further experimentation I've found that it was *not* the AGP setting that made my system more stable.. Rather, it was slowing down my OC'd CPU that made the difference. Actually, with my old-ass Asus K7M, I'm not even sure whether I can even run in anything higher than 1x AGP :P

Demolisher
04-20-2002, 03:24 PM
I take that back, the JK2 engine is what's screwed up! The froze so many times for me this morning, single and multiplayer. Raven, where are you!?!?!!!! Don't tell me you've moved on to SOF2 and are gonna dump JK2 the same exact way you dumped Hexen2world!!!!!!!!! :mad: I guess Raven still has their ****ty QA team they used for Heretic II.

drakken_k
04-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Well I think I'm going to give up !
I'tried all the fix from this forum except APG 1x and nothing work.
I'll have to dl an utility to enable AGP 1x on my radeon 8500.

Still MP perfectly stable and SP crash.
I'm sure there a nasty and insidious bug in the SP code.

:mad:

netskimmer
04-20-2002, 04:17 PM
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THIS AGP SETTING!! I've asked several times but nobody will tell me, the only agp setting I have is in measured in megs, not 1x,2x...

Exitium
04-20-2002, 05:18 PM
I don't think your problems have anything to do with the sound card, per se, but rather it has to do with the implementation and conflict between the AGP/PCI interface in general.

I stopped experiencing crashes as soon as I installed the AGP 1.90 drivers for my ALiMagik1 based motherboard (Asus A7A266) and lowered my AGP bus to 2x. I might even bring it back up to 4x later to see if it runs stably but I've been having heat issues with my graphics card unrelated to the AGP problems so I'll probably refrain from doing that until I get better cooling for my system.

On the other hand, I think that most of the problems we're (well, I'm not anymore but I mean everyone else) has to do with AGP/PCI problems on your boards. You'll notice that most people here are running a non-AMD or Intel based chipset on their motherboard, hence the problems.

You might wanna try out George's Latency Patch if you're using a VIA board, and be sure to download the 1.90 AGP drivers for your ALi board, if any of you are using one. They're miraculous.

Exitium
04-20-2002, 05:23 PM
Oh yeah, remember to disable shadows. They're ugly and all they do is slow down the game and are generally a massive burden on graphics cards.

ArmchairAthlete
04-20-2002, 05:24 PM
I've been getting lockups now right after scores are displayed at the end of a match when a new map should be loading. It locks up at the score screen, and like the first guy, I'm forced to use the power button...

Crashes have been frustrating me alot lately ever since I got my new video card, GeForce4 MX-420 PCI. In WarCraft III It would crash halfway thru a game, and the speakers emitted a continous SCRREEEECHHH until I turned the power off with the button.

I wiped my Harddrive and put windows98 on instead of ME. Still, I get lockups...

I hope I can figure out whats wrong with my computer, since it locks up on the desktop too... Or maybe the games will be patched with fixes.

>_<

Genocide52
04-20-2002, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Exitium
[B]
You might wanna try out George's Latency Patch if you're using a VIA board

QUOTE]

Where might I be able to find George's Latency Patch and exactly what does it do?

Surfware
04-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Check its features here (http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/)

I still think it's a bug of the game, so I won't waste too much time... i just give up till a patch is released :(

Genocide52
04-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Thank you...hopefully this will fix my problem. I'm just worried that I will be one of the few that will get my system corrupted by installing this thing. Oh well, here goes nothing and that would just give me an excuse to update Windows. :)

Genocide52
04-20-2002, 07:22 PM
I think that latency patch solved my problem. I went through the parts of the game that had been freezing on me really bad and nothing happened :D. Hallelujah!! I can finally enjoy the game I spent the money I didn't have to spend on! Now if only I could get rid of my firewall so I can play online (stupid college)

aux_egro
04-20-2002, 11:20 PM
This seemed to work for me after trying most of the fixes mentioned in this thread.

Drivers:
Nvidia 21.83
Via 4in1 4.38

System:

Athlon 1200Mhz
512MB PC133
Epox 8KTA3
Visiontek GeForce3
SB Audigy
4X AGP
No FSAA

Game Settings:

GL Extensions= On
Video Mode= 1024x768
Color Depth= 32-bit
Geometric Detail= High
Texture Detail= Very High
Texture Quality= 32-bit
Texture Filter= Trilinear
Detail Shaders= On
Shadows= Volumetric
Vsync= Off
Dynamic Lights= On
Wall Marks= On
Anisontropic Filtering= On

What fixed my problem was to use GeForce Tweaker. In it there is a section called "Compatability Modes" Listed are Intel, Micron, AMD, Nvidia, VIA, and Rcc. I basically left all other settings in GeForce Tweaker alone, but set VIA Compatability Mode to ON.

Before this, I was locking up about 5 minutes into the game, but now I've played for 2 hours with no lockups.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Chiles4
04-21-2002, 12:59 AM
Genocide, I think the patch is most useful when using SB Live cards on a VIA board. Is that what you're running? Glad to hear your good news but man, this would really suck if this was another VIA or VIA with SBLive problem!

Genocide52
04-21-2002, 02:54 AM
Yeah...I'm running on a Tyan Motherboard (VIA chipset) with a SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer. I've been playing off and on all day and I haven't had a single problem. I wish everyone else the best of luck solving their problems.

:jarjar: :lightning

Now Jar Jar, you will feel the full power of the Dark Side!!

TheHighness
04-21-2002, 06:21 AM
Well guys, i was one of the guys that suggested a 2x agp transfer setting, but you know what?

I found out another thing, I put my agp transfer to 4x, then lock ups all over again... and then i did something that changed everything... I closed all of the programs running on the background and system tray on windows me. AND I disconnected my cable modem from the NIC card. No freezes at all, with full speed on my system...

So I really dont know whats happening now, I hope this helps all the people that still has problems, even on a 2x setting.

Try it and tell me if it works!

drakken_k
04-21-2002, 12:44 PM
I have a stange feeling that my pb is sound related.

SP crash and MP work perfectly.
And on the logo screen the sound is stuttering in SP while perfectly clean in MP.
The sound is clear for the rest of the game is SP.

Any idea, is it normal (the sound not the crash :) )

jasho
04-21-2002, 12:54 PM
I also used the GeForce Tweak Utility to change the settings on the video card. There are a number of settings to manipulate and all I did was enable everything which did it for me. If that did not work, then I would have disabled everything and started there. Maybe those that are still having problems could try this out.

Huh...come to think of it...it seems like we're solving the problems for RAVEN...anyone else think we should get paid for this "tech support"?

Retro
04-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Well, I havn't read the entire thread, too much :-P So if my problem has been answered please post the info.

I start up JO, select new game, select difficulty, press new game. Wait a little for the bar to go accross the screen, before it gets accross I get a nice big black screen with little green lines accross the top. After 7 resets, I decide to reinstall JO, after being reinstalled, and setting up the graphics again, begin another new one, hi little green lines! After 12 more resets, I decide to come here and see if there are any posts on freezing. I've finished the game on SP before, then went to MP, now I decide to try some more SP on a harder difficulty, only it doesn't want me to play. I can play MP without any problems, just not SP.

800mhz duron
iWill MB (dont know specs on it)
onboard sound
512 ram
win98-se
gf2 gts with 23.11 drivers

Anything else needed? I suppose I should try the newest drivers, I just heard that the 23.11 were the best for JO.

Darth Jericho
04-21-2002, 10:00 PM
its not just this game it is every heavily modified quake 3 engine based game i have encountered the problems in this game, SOF 2, RTCW, occasionally in team arena even just not as frequently as this game or the others. i also get a shrill high pitched sustained beep when my comp locks up or a little before it does.

My specs are as follows:
AMD athlon 1.2 ghz tbird
Geforce 3 ti 200
Soundblaster live 5.1 x-gamer
786 mb of ram
Win Xp

I believe that it is a confliction between windows 2000/XP and anything soundblaster, because none of the SB products have complete drivers and there are conflictions between just the two when alone in the OS not just in games. This is because creative labs has lame coders, who rushed out drivers just to allow "compatibility" and didnt consider half of the things they should have so until then go buy a different sound card. Windows 2000/XP and Soundlaster products dont get along to well.

Phydeaux{RoA}
04-21-2002, 11:26 PM
it's not just soundblaster - I get the same freeze on my Hercules Forissimo Gamesound on XP...

I'm just starting the final portion of the game on Yavin and can't get 5 seconds in without freezing. It's beyond frustrating...

mahogeny
04-22-2002, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure if anyone posted this or not (I haven't read through al 8 pages of this thread) but I just wanted to say that one thing that I found that fixed the freezing problem for me was to disable vsync.

I run an Athlon Xp 1600+, 256MB PC2100 RAM, Creative Blaster Annihilator II (GeForce2 w/64MB RAM).

Just in case this helps anyone else out.

Mahogeny

scottws
04-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Well, I just got done playing JKII for two hours... straight! And I quit, it didn't crash. All I did was use simple instead of volumetric shadowing and install the 4.38 VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

However, it could possibly still be a heat problem. When I last played and was crashing every minute, it was 85 degrees outside and we had the A/C off. Now it's in the mid 50s and we have the heat off. It's significanly colder in my computer room, so that might be why it ran fine. I don't know for sure. I guess I'll find out when it warms up again.

tfp321
04-22-2002, 03:30 AM
Dont ask. I cant spell.

Will some one please summerize what could help making my game not crash. After reading the first two pages in 20 minutes i dont feel like reading the next six so please help. And yes my game does crash with the sound looping. I am not good as this "computer" stuff so be as easy as possiable. Once again i cant spell.

PIII 500
320 megs of ram (after crashing a few times it no registers at 256, removed the faulty ram)
GeForce2400mx
10 gig maxtor hard drive(on this)
24 gig hard drive
legacy sound drive(very crappy, was using sound blaster but i broke it trying to fix jk2)
abit mother board
40x cd drive

Thanks

tfp321
04-22-2002, 04:01 AM
I blame them all. Raven, lucas arts and however else screwed us.

I am not sure who did what but i am pissed off. There are many of us, many of us and more who got screwed out of 50 dollars. After looking through this post I found not one support member said anything. If there isnt a patch by the end of this week i am going to blow up them.

lucas arts does share blame. they liscend this product and put there name on it. There should of been some sort of response to all of us by now. Some one saying there is a problem would be a start.

As for the makers of the game, well the better not give me there adresses.

I emailed everyone and for over 2 weeks not one response. DAMN IT PEOPLE RESPOND.

Ok my ranting is over.

ToiletDuck
04-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Just a little update, I've found that it just about only (I've had one or two elsewhere) crashes for me on the Caren (or however you spell it), Doomgiver and the Yavin swamp. I can stop the crashes on those levels by disabling the gl extensions, which unforunatly halves the framerate :(

Demolisher
04-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Earth to Raven, come in Raven......hello? Pleeeease fix this freezing issue :). I know you gotta worry about SOF2 too, but someone at least come say something and try to figure out what's going on.

R-N3
04-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Might be a bit late since u guys are already quite ahead with your investigations reg. the freeze problem..but anyway...here's my story in a short:

I played JK , 1024/32, all settings max, AGP4x on my GF2Ti so far without any problems.

Today i bought a Radeon8500 and the game turned into "unplayable" at all - means: Now I'm also getting random freezes/soundloop after a few seconds.

i will jump into more checking and testing later this eve and leave you another note.

btw: great page, great forum!

stevho
04-22-2002, 04:38 PM
same prob as the rest except that i cant even get into the game. it freezes with sound loop right before the lucasarts logo screen.
my specs:
p3 500
196ram
ge2 mx 32mb(23.11) also tried 28.32
crystal sound fusion card(latest drivers)
win98SE
directx 8.1

but...
it works perfectly, no probs whatsoever for sp and mp, on my other comp.
p3 500
128ram
voodoo3 16mb
soundblaster card(forgotten which one exactly)
win98SE

bull_balls
04-22-2002, 04:44 PM
My multiplayer freezes, but only in certain places, and the thing is: it didnt start happening until about a week ago. It only freezes when an MP map changes when I'm in a server or when a demo I just played has finished. What the hell is going on? someone f***ing get in here and help us out.

Bull-Balls:fett:

colmag
04-22-2002, 06:29 PM
I've come to the conclusion that i'm just going to have to wait for the patch, and stop trying in the vain hope that the game won't crash.

How many times can i see "windows has recovered from a severe error" before my whole pc goes belly up?

colmag
04-22-2002, 07:14 PM
OK, despite my previous post, i thought to myself "I KNOW!!! i'll drop my graphics settings and that will cure everything".

The game replied by throwing up a screen with a pattern of dots varying in colour as they went down the screen. I wish i could describe it better, but no other program ***EVER*** has managed to make any computer i've ***EVER*** owned display such garbage.

So this time i'm really giving up until a patch arrives (really...)

R-N3
04-23-2002, 02:28 AM
ok, as posted ealier this eve..my report so far:

-desktop set to 16bit
-AGP set to 2x
-shadows off
-GL ext off
-another video card driver
-setting down my FSB

...just dont fix anything about the freezes (at last not on my system) -except i am able to play some more mins before it finally stucks.

I havent checked MP yet since it is just too annoying to hardreset alllll the time.Finally i gave up any further trying since i doubt any other thing except a patch will fix this major issue.

btw:if anyone's interested... i run a Tbird 1200C,Epox 8KHA+, Radeon8500, SB1024 live and Win98SE -but i doubt this means anything in this case.

still strange my GF2ti worked without any probs...

MadAtGod
04-23-2002, 06:55 AM
BUMP.....again.

Went back to ME again w/ clean format, and can play a little bit...freeze seems to be soon after doing a quickload, anyone else notice this? Sure the junk freezes anyway eventually, but seems to hit me sooner after I die, and load or restart. Either way, still can't make it more than 10 minutes or so...I love it.

Many SB Live's and XP Pro configs in this long ass thread but many others too...I'm convinced after trying it on 3 systems now and 3 OS, copying to HD installin from there, getting a new copy, many fixes listed here, drivers, settings up and down, and tweaks that this is a waste of time and is NOT our problem.

Sad that it's taking this long, and still no word. Everyone make sure to vote on the poll post on this forum, it's already 64% freezing.

Love to do some skinning and level design but no way in hell when I can't use them.

Simon B
04-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Is everybody who is having this issue logging it with tech support?

The more reports they get, the harder it'll be to ignore.

http://support.lucasarts.com/email/techemail.asp

Avernus
04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.
I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.

Ruga
04-23-2002, 11:06 PM
Add me to the long list of people who's system has been screwed by JKII.

But I have more horror to add. Not only does JKII lock up my system (w2k, 512 meg ram, athlon 1.2 ghz, radeon VE, sb live) completely while playing, forcing me to reboot. But since installing Jedi Knight II yesterday, I've found other programs which previously i've had no problem with have started locking my system too, the same as Outcast does. It's very distrubing.

Namely media player when viewing some avi files, most recently. Never had a problem with this file before.

I have the latest ATI drivers, and directx 8.1.

This is very sad.

I also add that i just finished playing Return to Castle Wolftenstien yesterday (rushing through the end, because it was rather boring, and I wanted to install JKII), and though it uses the same Q3 engine, I never had a single problem with it freezing or crashing... not one problem.

Simon B
04-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Avernus
I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.
I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.
I got a response back today! Basically asking me to try everything I already have, but I understand that in order to troubleshoot, it's easier for them if I start back at the basics.

Essentially the advice was to turn the default video settings to 'fastest' and the sound quality to low and see if it still crashes. If it seems OK, they want me to ramp the settings up slowly. It's a bit tedious playing at low resolution (looks like a console game ;) ), but if it helps narrow the problem down then I have no objections.

It hasn't crashed yet in ultra-low quality mode, in fact it makes a change for me to die before the game crashes :p - I haven't had time to play for long though.

tfp321
04-23-2002, 11:50 PM
I have recently found that after reinstalling direct3d 8.1 and restrting and then rushing through the menu screen and loading my game as fast as possiable i can play for quite some time. It frove on me once in that past mabey 4 hours i player(through out the week) and i just reinstalled direct x. Works ok now but who knows? Good Luck

MadAtGod
04-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey has anyone who has had other programs mess up after JK2 found a fix other than reformat?
I had Medal of Honor running fine just days ago after a format, then installed Jedi Knight 2 which of course freezes right on cue, but now Medal of Honor does too, even before I can get in the game.

Uninstalled JK2, went through registry, MoH still crashed. Uninstalled Medal of Honor, did the same to reg, reinstalled MoH, same crash, similar to JK2, User.Exe crash. Never happened before..hmm. So now it has wiped out my profile on XP twice, eventually making it unbootable and now ruins my other Q3 games under ME.

It does affect it somehow, no reason it should but it does. It must have taken a lot of programming prowess to make a game that can rape a system so well.

tfp321
04-24-2002, 08:13 PM
I am going to take a wild guess here but i bet it messes with your directx, it seems that installing directx after installing jk2 helps alot. I bet that is why my rtcw and moh is ****ed. Damn this no support. If on win2000 or 9x try re installing direct 3d. XP users screwed.

Ruga
04-25-2002, 12:09 PM
I've re-installed directX 8.1 and my video drivers several times after installing JKII, and it didn't help at all. So the suggestion that it (reinstalling dx) does help, I do not think is correct.

This baffling problem continues to plague...

netskimmer
04-25-2002, 09:46 PM
I've noticed that all of the games that lock up like this for me use openGL(half life,half life conter strike, JO, return to Castle wolfenstein... does anybody have this lockup with a game useing Direct3D?

Ignodium
04-25-2002, 10:23 PM
i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. its hard to explain, go to device manager, under system (or whatever its called, towards the top) it shuold say acpi, go to properties, change driver, shoose driver from list, click all possible drivers, and then change to standard pc.

when you restart, you will have to reload all drivers. i dont know if this is your problem, but if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.

Teir
04-25-2002, 11:51 PM
I see alot have same issue here, mine is abit diffrent. Didnt have any freezes in SP ( maby one or two ) but nothing i couldnt deal with.
My problem is in MP, last night all the sudden it whould freeze each time a MAP whould finish - CTF, TFFA and FFA. Just as the stats menu comes up and the server gets rdy to load next map i Freeze cant do ctrl-alt-del cant alt-F4 or alt - tab, its a cold reboot i gotta do befor i can even play again. But now it seem it freezes each time a map is over and its getting really on my nervs:(

No idea what can have triggered this, because it have runned smoothly for last three weeks. For some reason i crash / freeze and it aint my drivers. As i said i have been playing smoothly for three weeks and no patch have been out yet that whould have me upgrade my drivers ( tho i dont need to ).

So its abit of a mystery to me.

AMD Athlon 800
256 Ram
NVIDIA GeF2 MX
Creative SB Audio 128 Legacy
Win98

Simon B
04-26-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Ignodium
i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. ...

...if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.
Well it's early days, but I finally got round to testing this (I also read it somewhere else) and it certainly seems far more stable so far.

Cheers!

pbdrummer
04-26-2002, 12:29 PM
I had the same problems that everyone else is having...freezing, and all. I was getting freezes in all my games with the Geforce2, but not with my voodoo3 3000. I reformatted, took out my Geforce2, put my voodoo3 back in and all my games work fine. So then I try my games (JO NOT installed) w/the Geforce and they freeze again. It must be a video card issue.

Chiles4
04-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Ignodium...neat idea. I only use Win98SE and I always make sure that ACPI is DISABLED when using that OS. I thought that Win2k and XP would have improved upon ACPI but maybe you've got a point. Sounds like a good idea to try.

*Fl3A*
04-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Nope its a sound card issue. i actually get a message regarding dsound when mine goes down and thats with the crash high gamma thing But i dont care anymore cause ive just introduced Jedi Outcast to CLONECD and they get on just fine.
OHhhhhhhhh look theres my receipt.
You rip me off,nahhhhhhhh i rip u offffffffff raven

jasho
04-26-2002, 09:33 PM
You know...publically announcing that you are pirating the software in the forum that the developers are probably watching isn't exactly the quickest way to get a patch.:D

Chiles4
04-26-2002, 09:40 PM
He's not pirating JO, he's actually making his one legal copy of the CD he bought.

But are you doing this so that you can run the game? Or just to be a smart ass? There have been posts about people making a CD copy and then being able to run off the copy.

At some point I may do the same to have a backup in case the original gets scratched but I'm way to busy killing Stormtroopers to worry about that now.

OT but anyone ever have a CD "detonate" inside their CD-ROM drive? It's not a pretty thing!

*Fl3A*
04-27-2002, 12:51 AM
Right i might be gettin somewhere.
I have 3 versions of the game 1 original , 1 warez pre realease (on loan) and 1 clonecd version of the original.
The clonecd version behaves just like the original crashes high gamma.
The warez does not just gl errors that i fixed (use nvidia 23.11 nvopengl.dll)

When I 1st run this game I can play 4 as long as I want.
When I quit reload and carry on problems occur sooooooo
The games either writing somthing in the config or
corrupting the save files
some people report that deleting the sp.cfg file and runnin again fixes there problem so it could very well be the cfg file at fault
1 more thing when I used to level design on Q3a the 1 thing you learnt was all those "pak" files get allocated memory on launch so that could be a problem

but I still think its sound

big_bofa
04-27-2002, 02:04 AM
I think I pretty muched fixed the whole freezing bit! My graphics card and network card were sharing the same IRQ. My sound card and USB controller were also sharing the same IRQ. So I switched the modem and sound card to different PCI slots. I also changed from ACPI to standard PC. Played JO for about an hour and a half and had no freezes. Before it would freeze after about 5-10 minutes. Hopefully it stays stable!

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 02:12 AM
I think that the problem lies beyond JO and that it acts as a catalyst. I tried playing some of my older games, most of wich worked just fine before and they'r doing the same thing, I tried formatting my HD and reinstalling windows and not installing JO and the other games still crash w/sound loop? I've tried DirectX 7, 8.0, 8.0a, and 8.1, have tried with a geforce2 gts and a radeon 8500 but the crashes persist. One of the games that used to work but doesn't now is star trek elite force wich is made by raven, and uses a modified quake 3 engine and openGL. If it were just JO then formatting should have removed any influence it had on my system.

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 02:20 AM
how do I chang from acpi to standard pc?

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 02:25 AM
its in my post up there

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 02:36 AM
Is this an option for WindowsMe?

Teir
04-27-2002, 02:38 AM
I "think" i fixed my MP freeze.

As i mention i only freeze just as the level (map) is over , u know where u see the stats and Ready ect ect.
I tried new drivers lower settings, nothing really worked:(

I then tried all sort of weird things, like when it shows the stats at the end of the map i press ESC to get away from it and for some strang reason it wont freeze the MP game. At first i thought the new drivers had fixed it then i tried without pressing ESC and i froze up again.

So everytime i press ESC at the end of the map where u see stats and ready i get to Load the next map without having to reboot:)

But as fare as i can see, most or "all" of you are having SP troubles. Lucky for me i didnt have any. Hope you all get it to work like i did in a strange way:D

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 02:42 AM
I've found acpi but i don't see a standard pc option

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 02:45 AM
check the bubble that says show all hardware for this device class and be prepared to install ALL of your drivers when you restart.

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 02:57 AM
I did that, there are a ton of things listed but none of them says "standard pc".

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 02:59 AM
its at the very bottom of one of the sub categories. i dont remember how to do it now, and cant demonstrate from standard pc. if i was in acpi, i would reenact it to myself and tell you.

Simon B
04-27-2002, 03:34 AM
I been able to play 1024x768 with just about everything turned on, including high quality sound since I changed from ACPI to Standard PC. No crashes as yet.

Woo-Hoo!

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 03:44 AM
the current problem im expirienceing is not irq related, a "....exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will have to restart the program.

an error log is being created"

error pops up during games, and it pops up behind the game so i have to control alt del and switch to it. it happens really fast some times. i really hate that the game doesnt work.

Avernus
04-27-2002, 06:28 AM
A quick way of finding out if your computer is using acpi or Standard PC is to look in the system.ini file in the Windows folder.

If you find the line system.drv=Standard PC then acpi is already turned off.

Disabling acpi will probably help only if your video/sound/etc. cards are sharing IRQs. You can check the IRQs by looking at Computer, the 1st thing under Device Manager tab.

If you have a bunch of things sharing the same IRQ numbers, especially video and sound, disabling acpi could help matters.

A lot of the freezing problems aren't related to this tho, as Ignodium stated.

netskimmer
04-27-2002, 08:28 AM
I seem to have found a fix for my problem, after writting zeros to my hard drive and reinstalling windows I still got the crash, even before installing the game again, and several of my older games crashed the same way now that had worked just fine before, so it couldn't have been the game directly. I traced the first time I had the crash back to shortly after I bought a new stick of 256MB SDRAM, so I pulled the ram and presto the game(s) ran perfectly... well as perfectly as they could with only 128MB of ram to work with anyway. I then tried pulling the 128 module of ram and put in the 256 module and the games all ran perfectly, so I put both in again and BOOM graphical glitches and crash w/sound loop, so I pulled the 128 module and all the games worked again. Both sticks are PC133 SDRAM so one of three things caused the problem, either something else was different about the sticks, the new stick is 168 pin DIMM not shure about the older one, mixing capacity 128 with 256 or mixing brands Infineon with VisionTech. I doubt mixing copacities is the problem but who knows, anyway all the games that where crashing are now running stable (including JO) so you guys might want to check your ram. I'll let you know if I start getting crashes again.

P.S.

Primary load times are around 2:30 - 3:00 min. but that's with all effects at max and only 256MB of ram and reloads and quickloads are almost instant.

Fatal-x
04-27-2002, 08:49 AM
not trying to jinx you or anything man....but thats what i got ,just 256.
no mixing of anything and mine crashes all the time.
good luck to you tho...

Monkers
04-27-2002, 11:58 AM
I have the lockup problem when changing maps in MP .. I am getting round it at the moment by exiting the game when the kill limit is reached, and rejoining ... it's better than rebooting :)

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 02:00 PM
yes, but are your lockup problems total freezes (with sound loops and all) or just popup errors or whatnot ("...has generated errors and will be exited....")

im sure some have you have tried what i suggested, the switch from acpi to standard, but no matter what card you have, everyone here shuold switch to standard anyway. for windows to just take over irq's and put everything on teh top two is ridiculous.

im trying to help, while also trying to get help.

mine was caused by the popup error described above, but i dont expect to get help on this thread because i allready made a thread for it.

Teir
04-27-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Monkers
I have the lockup problem when changing maps in MP .. I am getting round it at the moment by exiting the game when the kill limit is reached, and rejoining ... it's better than rebooting :)

I had the same problem, read my post on page 9. For some weird reason i dont get freeze anymore when i do what i wrote on page 9. ( buttom of the page );)

Charlie77
04-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Im having similar problems, i finished single player a week ago and didnt have a single crash the whole time i was playing it, but in multiplayer, at random intervals, it will just crash and need restarting. Ive tried disabling everything except for explorer and then playing but it makes no difference :(

Ignodium
04-27-2002, 05:56 PM
charlie, can you ctrl alt del to task managaer? i too only experience my problem in multiplayer, and i can ctrl alt del to see one of those "this program has generated errors" messages. i just click end task on the message and suddenly im back to windows (with that annoying lighter color that comes from incorrectly exiting alot of 3d games)

agorwal
04-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Mine freezes at the main menu, ive had the game for 1 week now, and still havent gotten to play it, i cant get past the main menu, it just freezes, the sound loops, and i have to cold boot it. help please!

KERNEL
04-28-2002, 01:30 AM
My problem is diffrent....

I have the problems you all have BUT it doesnt happen that way for me. After getting many crashes in MP i played a demo to see what was going on, cuz i can load but once i start to play it crashes. So while in the demo i was watching everthing ran great A1 top notch 100 perfect.....till....the character i was looking at through first person fired his weapon. After that it crashed like a bad habbit. So i thought that maybe if i dont click my mouse ill be fine...and i was right....so it seems to me that when ever i input a mouse click into the game it crashes. And i do mean any time. even in the join screen. As for SP it worked sort of good, i was able to watch the moive some what but i hit a sound loop and crashed. So that is my delema can some please give me some suggestions im open to any ideas, my system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4)
Msi Turbo 2 Motherboard
1 64 mb sdram stick and 1 32mb ram stick
Diamond: Viper 2 Video Card
Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1
Logitech 3 Button Mouse on a usb connection with a ps2 converter

Windows 98 First Editon

Chade
04-28-2002, 01:31 AM
I am experiencing the exact same problem as Charlie77. Finished SP recently not one problem with the game. Now all of a sudden at random intervels I get freezing and sound loop but only in MP. Sometimes I can play for an hour without any probs sometimes only 2 minutes. This is my system:

AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz
128 Mb SDRAM
Matrox G400
ECS K7S5A Mobo (using onboard sound)
Windows XP Pro

Alot of people experiencing the Muliplayer problem (freezing at random intervals) seem to have AMD CPU's with Windows XP OS.

Teir
04-28-2002, 02:02 AM
Seems like JKII is full of failurs , bugs ect ect.

Im really looking forward to a patch that can or will fix many of these issues. Special in MP w/ the freezes and more:(

Didnt spend my hard earned money on a game that whould make me reboot my PC every 30 min.

Chiles4
04-28-2002, 03:13 AM
netskimmer, you should never mix any RAM sticks that are not identical. You might get away with mixing memory if you just surf and word process but alot of times it will not work with intense apps like games. And....1 large stick of memory is always better than two, even identical, smaller sticks of RAM. Even though the two smaller sticks may be identical, they may have timing inconsistencies between them that can cause problems.

With ACPI enabled on Win2K and XP, I always thought it was the norm that every device you have get's loaded onto IRQ 11. But if this really caused a problem in these OSes, you'd think that the need to "disable ACPI" would be on the front page of TIME magazine.

Chade
04-28-2002, 06:36 AM
Charlie77:

I read in another post that you have a Matrox G400....same as me.

This would indicate that it must be a driver problem.

hmmmmm...may be time for a new card.

Surfware
04-28-2002, 01:43 PM
I'll be brief... I kept on freezing and FINALLY I fixed the problem:

----> MOTHER BOARD BIOS UPDATE was my problem.

I tried EVERYTHING AND MORE suggested in the forums, but NOTHING worked. I froze once and again after a quickload.

---> SOLUTION: I updated my MotherBoard Bios (QDI KINETIZ 7B) and now it works perfectly, still no freezing after playing for a long time.

So, if you have a VIA KINETIZ 7B or similar, update your BIOS and Jedi 2 (and probably more games that froze) will work finely.

Happy gaming :D

PS. Mi specs:

Athlon 1.3

WIN 2000 ---> Fully updated.
QDI Kinetiz 7B Motherboard
Sb Live! ---> this wasn't the problem
256 MB ---> this wasn't the problem either
GeForce 2 MX ----> LATEST DRIVERS 28.32 (I think) LATEST DIRECT X (8.1 I think) ---> this isn't the problem.

I haven't even installed the Via-4-in-1 yet, they made my system run worse. I'll try now that my BIOs is updated.

ecoplexx
04-28-2002, 02:12 PM
hi all
As most of you, i always had the same freezing pb since i installed the game.
Checked everything, drivers, uninstalled other games....etc....nothing to do more, always that freezing pb !!!!
(i must say i never that kind of pb before)
But today, when i came here, i saw the info on the main page, and i launched the online scan from Panda. Damnit, 2 infected files !
So i decided to look more properly in my windows system folder : found 2 files with the .vir extension, seems to be a worm or something..... :( I noticed something strange, dates on these files correspond with the date i installed the game :confused:
I erased the files, rescanned and nothing was found. Reboot and launched the game, played for 3 hours without any problem (tried SP and MP), loading times seem faster, game runs fine now.
Would like to know if someone else found these files.
Hope it helps some of ya ;)
cheers

mikroba
04-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Well, it seems that Windows update is a key element to make this game work.
I just ran Windows update, and there was an update for GDI. Since then I played once with the game and it didn't crashed.
What the hell?
But I've played it in safe mode...next time I'm playeing, I'm gonna make some fine tuning.

Well, it looks like updated drivers alone never solve the problem - I've tried all my drivers fresh installs, system clean installs, formatting, etc. but this result makes me think that the core of the problem is in the Windows itself.
Keep updating! :)
I hope everybody can solve these crashes!
But, anyays, I'm still looking forward to get a patch for this game!

:eek:

mikroba the midichlorian warrior:)

Ignodium
04-28-2002, 02:13 PM
it depends on what kind of freezing

there are tons of problames people are having, but unfortunately, they are not all having the same problems. i geuss we could make a list, however i dont remember them all, but

ACPI - acpi sucks, as many devices on as few irq''s as possible wehre most common day graphics cards and alot of sound cards need their own irq.

drivers/bios' - common sense

loading all models - turn off the option that loads all models at teh end of the round

what else?

my game only errors in multiplayer, but its not a console error, a windows program error pops up.

stevho
04-28-2002, 05:12 PM
ive tried changing from acpi to standard pc but in all 3 categories(Standard system devices, ALi, and Microsoft) there is no standard pc option. would it be labeled anything else? Im runnin win98SE.

Ignodium
04-28-2002, 05:32 PM
it must be a diff name in 98se, because im on an ali chipset too and my mobo has acpi (asus a7a266) and i saw it. my 3 categories were compaq (odd, i built this computer myself) sgi and standard something, and it was at the btotom of standard something.

registrthis
04-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone.
I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now
ever since installing jk2 on my pc and experiencing the
sound loop/freeze. I have yet to come up with an acceptable
solution, though I did make enough progress to actually
finish the sp game. Now, I have been trying multiplayer
and much to my dismay, the propblem persists there as well.
What actually irritated me more than the problem in jk2, was
the fact that after I installed it, my other games (rtcw, mohaa etc.)
began to develop similar issues where they did not before.
I also began to experience stability problems with my OS that were not an issue before installing jk2. One day while working
on the problem, I decided to use drwatson to see if it detected
anything, this is what I found:
module<unknown> has altered windows system files.

After finding this, I decided to spend this weekend (and it took every bit of it) trying to resolve the issue.
I logged everything that I did, to help isolate the problem:

The first thing that I did was a format C:\ and a clean install
of the operating system.
Next came the drivers, sorting out irq's etc. so that I was sure that everything was as it should be.
After installing the bare minimum of software I needed to have on
the machine I began the troubleshooting:
I first installed directx 8 from the Mohaa cd and then ran dxdiag
to insure that everything was working properly.
Then I installed Mohaa, patched it with the latest updates and
played the sp missions for a couple of hours to verify that it worked: I experienced no problems at this point.
Next I installed RTCW, patched it and tested it out also:
No problems.
I then backed up my registry, defragged the hard drive, copied
the jk2 files from the cd to my hard drive, started norton smart sweep to record any changes made to the pc and installed jk2.
After installation I read through the log file from smart-sweep
to see what had been changed:
Two windows system files, wavemix.ini and powerpnt.ini had been
altered.
I started up jk2 and played for a few minutes: crash/sound loop freeze.
I rebooted the pc, started Mohaa and played for a few minutes:
crash/sound loop freeze
I rebooted once again and tried RTCW: crash/sound loop freeze.

Since then my pc has locked up twice just browsing the internet, etc.

I am playing with nothing but explorer and systray running in the
backround. My irq's are all straight and acpi has been disabled
by installing the plug-and-play-bios fail safe drivers.

My system specs:
Amd Athalon xp1600@1467 mhz (not overclocked)
Iwill xp333 motherboard with latest agp driver (1.84) installed
256mb pc2100 ddr ram
visiontek gf3 ti 200 with 23.11 drivers installed (also tried 28.32, no change)
creative sb-live x-gamer with latest drivers dated 5-5-2000 from
the creative website.
maxtor 20 gb hard drive@7200 rpm
Kenwood true-x 72x cdrom
windows 98 se
cpu temp runs at 120 degrees F. during play, well below maximum
safe range.

I had my suspicions and they were confirmed by troubleshooting it this way. Everything worked properly before I installed jk2.
I'm wondering now what will happen if I extract the two altered system files mentioned above from the windows cd and restore them. I'm not faulting the developers, nor am I trying to rush them to get a patch out (if a patch is even possible for this issue)
But I, like many who have posted here, would like to see them at least acknowledge that the game has a problem and try to fix it.

Darth Jericho
04-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Info -

http://cweb.msi.com.tw/eforum/?target=article&tid=4175

Link to fix -

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/Test_driver1.zip

Worked for me but might not for you guys, worth a try though you can always uninstall it.

mikroba
04-29-2002, 05:16 AM
Hello there!

I mentioned earlier that I have a kind of solution for the freezing.
Well it's true for single player, but I realized that the sound loop/crash still happens everytime in Multiplayer.
So, this game has some really serious bugs. I don't remember anything causing such anomalies on my system earlier.

I borrowed again from my friend the Return to Castle Wolfenstein (it's not my type of game) and it crashes too. The same way Jedi does. I don't know maybe it's a Windows XP issue, or DirectX issue, because I can remember, when I first borrowed that game from my friend I used Windows2000, and there were no problems (well, it was long before Jedi Outcast).

So, to put it shortly: Windows upgrade works - for me - in XP for singleplayer issues, but multiplayer still crashes.

mikroba the midichlorian warrior

KERNEL
04-29-2002, 09:10 AM
Well it seems to me that the issue is direct x. Some how it is leading back to it. I tried installing the new via 4in1 drivers, i flashed my bios. and a whole bunch more stuff. So what im going to do is reformat, install the bare drivers, and have it run on direct X 8.0 the one that comes on the cd and see what happens.

lavhoes
04-29-2002, 12:29 PM
JK2 used to work for me. i finished the SP and was having fun in MP. one day, though, it just began freezing with a sound loop for me. sometimes an hour in, sometimes at the main menu. this also ocurred in other Quake 3 games such as RtCW. well, after reinstalling EVERYTHING, even doing a clean reformat, i finally found my problem:

overheating.

for some reason or another, Jk2 required my video card to run faster than it has been, thus causing it to heat up to horrible temperatures (136 F is my record). so, i left the case open one time, and guess what?

no freezing.

all my games worked again. i kept checking on my vid. card, and it was staying cool, whereas earlier it was scalding hot to the touch. so yesterday i bought a couple of fans and installed 'em near the video card, and like magic, all my freezing problems went away.

so, for the hell of it, leave your case open next time you want to play JK2 and see if it'll run. it may just be a heating problem.

Chiles4
04-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Stevho, if you're running Win98SE, the only way to turn off/on ACPI is to find the option in the BIOS, "ACPI Aware BIOS" or something like that. If you're running with it enabled, after you disable it, save, and reboot, you will be prompted to reinstall ALL your drivers.

Darth Jericho, great reading on the infinite loop prob. Sounds like there's a "real" problem with XP. What's weird is that I get a "freeze - sound loop" once in a while but it works itself out in about 5 seconds. But, I'm using Win98SE and a Kyro 2. So I don't know if it's the fault of JO, my latest Kyro drivers, or the 4.38 VIA drivers.

I'm still holding out that at least SOME of these nasty problems are not JO's fault. But the fact that other "Q3" games fail after installing JO is not very reassuring!

lavhoes
04-29-2002, 12:59 PM
well, like i said, it wasn't just JK2 for me, it was everything. hell, up until i left to go get the fans, my computer would freeze about ever 10 minutes with whatever i was playing in Winamp doing the sound loop.

it's a long shot, but just something else to try

CAT-scan
04-29-2002, 01:52 PM
Gah....the game is absolutely unplayable for me now... The game didn't freeze even once untill I got to the level I'm at now.

Im in the ns_street level, and it's hangs on me all the time :( I want a paaaahaaatch....bwahaaa:(

lavhoes:
If it is overheating, why does it happen only in JK2? After all, the game runs like a charm, with no slowdowns whatsoever. It doesn't really seem like my computer has a hard time handling the game at all.

After the crashes I always check out the temperatures of the CPU and case, and both of them is at a respectable level after each crash.

And btw, anyone who are planning on trying out lavhoes tips (removing the case), be careful, in some cases (hehe) removing the casing will only worsen things, making components even more hot.

This is starting to look like a serious problem that Raven/Lucasarts really should look into....for many people the game is totally unplayable in it's current state.

Genocide52
04-29-2002, 02:28 PM
I e-mailed LucasArts Tech support the other day to let them know that I got Jedi Knight II working. I asked them about a patch and they said that they are looking into several issues. Hopefully this means we will see a patch soon. Good luck to the rest of you, it's worth the effort. :D

:duel:

CAT-scan
04-29-2002, 07:19 PM
I have a possible solution!

Check out my "Having Lockups in Singleplayer? - Try this..." Thread

Ruga
04-30-2002, 10:28 PM
My machine just locked up again. Particularly enraging as I had 20 or so windows open in the middle of working on things. Bye bye.

I was not running JK at all; and in fact haven't attempted it at all today, since my last reboot. But, alas, i made the mistake of popping open a video clip in media player... and the system locked solid. This never ever ever used to happen... not until the evil lucas and his raven minions took over my machine...

MadAtGod
05-02-2002, 06:26 AM
Don't know why....but I still see no word of a patch and MOHAA is all f**ked up still so....

BUMP!!!!!!!

Mormegil
05-02-2002, 12:40 PM
Funny thing, I flashed my bios recently to fix an unrelated problem, and then JO started freezing again with the sound loop!

Well, I was lucky this time. I changed my AGP from 4x to 2x and it fixed it right away. Not sure if that has been suggested, as I fixed my original problem shortly after this thread started and I'm not reading through 10 pages! Good luck!

gakjones
05-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Scary how similar these posts are to my own dilema! I had lockups on my machine as well, I noticed the sound occasionally when I started JKII would not play the intro. but I can't play the game either! I think I played for ten minutes last night before It hung.

JUST after I wiped my machine, reinstalled win2k, all the latest drivers (except audioHQ, I HATE that program!) But I get same crap. I'm gonna try the "kill GL" thing and "match vidmode w/ desktop vidmode" thing. Thanks for giving me some ideas!

Machine:

PIII 600
512 meg first wipe / 256 Second wipe (thought it'd help)
SBLive! w / newest drivers
PNY Gforce3 TI 200 / w/ Detonator 28.32 drivers
Even tried installing all of the critical updates in 2k to see if it was Winblows.
Directx 8.1
Linksys (NE-100tx?) Network card

There is my info, if anyone reads this thread anymore maybe this may help.

Again thanks! :D

colmag
05-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Have a look at this thread, this is the solution that worked for me, and i had a freezing problem exactly like most of yours:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48842

Zoda
05-02-2002, 09:57 PM
hmmmm

Arathrael
05-02-2002, 10:41 PM
Just posted a possible cause/fix for some freezing with sound loop problems over in the game feedback forum here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49833).

Basically, I think the in-game setup menu can screw stuff up. The reason why I think that's in the linked post. Be warned, it's quite long! :rolleyes: :)

mikroba
05-03-2002, 06:57 AM
Good morning!
Few days ago I told on this forum, that my freezing problems are solved.
Unfortunately I must make some corrections about that claim.
Well, if I' modifying my settings the game crashes the same way as it did earlier - another notable thing, If I'm using a 32 bit desktop resolution, and running the game in 16 bit resolution the game rolls on, without graphics glitches, but if I change the desktop resolution to 16bit, then the game displays strange, bright, oddly coloured - unenjoyable - textures, and the text is unreadable.
In multiplayer the game still crashes, I couldn't solve thet issue - not that I'm statisfied with the singleplayer mode this way...

So, I think this game's problems are quite unsolvable yet...patch would be more than helpful (hopefully)

mikroba, the very tired midichlorian warrior

PS: since I've tried all settings variations I've to tell you this game looks just as good in safe mode as in, let's say 1024x768 everything maxed out, if you (can) play you are instantly sucked in by it's atmosphere...sigh...this makes these freezing issues more painful...
:(

Sutek
05-03-2002, 08:40 AM
I've noticed one common thread in all this Win XP: having spoken to some other friends who have had similar problems with a variety of games their common consensus is remove XP.

That being said, it might not fix all the other problems. I'll start with a general fix that works for things like Tribes 2 and most other net games.

Spyware. The stuff is leaky as hell and causes crashes in most things that are being run at the same times (which is always). There's a program that scans for and removes it called Ad-Aware, from www.lavasoftusa.com (it's freeware). Get it and run it, even if you don't think you have any (You might be surprised).

Secondly, I've had some lockup problems myself in MP only: The game locks up on level change (complete stall), I turned the 32-bit TEXTURES back down to 16-bit. All of a sudden it stopped locking up (except on gamesdomain servers for some reason). Try that as well.

Finally, I would not hold out the assumption that the patch will fix the problem. It might, but don't bet on it. Normally these things are individual config problems that result from one odd little program or setting tucked away in a corner, and no amount of patching will change that. The fact that so many people have had problems doesn't mean the game is at fault - there are more factors than just the game here.

Enough ranting, hope this helps you guys out. (knowing my luck it won't)

Ruga
05-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Two more times today my system has locked ... and i completely uninstalled JKII several days ago... still my system in general is unstable and locks. It locks when I play movies; it locks up randomly even with just winamp playing.... it never ever ever did this before installing JKII. What the hell did this program do to my system?!! I can't even escape it by uninstalling it.

I can tell you, if all of the freezes are the same thing here... everyone talking about video cards... it's not video... i'm not using any visualisations in winamp, and just simple winamp locks up my system eventually the same as JKII did now. Though it usually plays for a few hours before locking up...

jasho
05-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Just a question to those of you that got your JO to work by changing your AGP setting from 4x to 2x...What video card and motherbard are you using? I ask this because most of the time it does not matter whether 4x or 2x is applied unless either the motherboard or video card does not fully support 4x either by being outdated or really bad coding. Anyway, just a theory so I thought I would ask because I know some people got their games to work this way, but most people did not. Thanks!

FSMORIN
05-05-2002, 03:47 AM
I am no longer able to play JK2 because it freezes in the same spot every time. Right after the duel with the jedi chick it goes to a cutscene with Kyle in a hauler I think. At the same point in the movie , puter freezes and must reboot. Tried Everything to correct.

Here are specs if it matters, but I have yet to get a decent response from Raven, LA, this forum or anywhere. I have simply stopped playing the damn game. What a freakin waste of money.

P3 800
Supermicro p6dgu
matrox g450
256 m ram
Directx 8.1
SB Awe64 Gold
Beige case
Microsoft mouse
Viewsonic monitor
Comfortable chair
Dog at my feet
Wife screaming at me to get off the computer (version 7)

Ruga
05-05-2002, 10:21 PM
deseperate to get my system to stop freezing I decided to take the plung and upgrade my W2K to XP this morning... desperate hope. ...

Thought it worked for a while; but then... listening to winamp... zap... freeze.... has locked up 3 times since then... 4 times already today.

I guess the next step is wipe the drive ... )-: Desperate...

Uninstalled JO days ago... just want this nightmare to end.

colmag
05-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Have you guys tried changing the memory performance setting from programs to cache? (in the performance bit under system in the control panel)

Darth Mopp
05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to add my hat to the ring. The game freezes, no sound loops. Can't Ctrl-Alt-Del or ALT F-4 out of the screen, I have to power cycle. Uninstalled, reinstalled, formatted the drive, defragged, scan disked, tried XP and 98. Upgraded to all new drivers. No luck. Tried tech support for both hardware and Lucas. Wish I could play this game!

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI)
512 MB SDRAM
Soundblaster
Mobo MSI MS-6378

Any ideas?

Pugwash
05-06-2002, 05:43 PM
system: Athlon 1400Mhz, 512Mb Cas2 pc133, Geforce 4 Ti 4600, sb audigy.

You can add me to the list of people with problems with JKII, the only solution I have which has enabled me to play for a few hours at a time is to disable all the effects and drop the resolution to 640x480.

Whenever I have tried putting the resolution above 800x600 it bsod's on me even during cut scene at the very beginning.

The most annoying this is that RTCW runs almost perfectly, crashes every now and then but no where near as many times as JKII.:confused:

Claatu
05-12-2002, 09:15 PM
My game also crashed frequently (freeze with sound looping) until I dropped the resolution from 1280*1024 (ran with good framerates until crash) to 1024*768. At this resolution it never crashes on my machine. I run the game with all details maxed.

Athlon XP1800+, Geforce 3 Ti500, A7V266-E mobo, 2*256 Crucial DDR, Win 98SE, detonator 28.32. I upgraded the detonator drivers from 21.83 during troubleshooting but it did not make any difference at the higher resolutions.

Very strange that Raven has not answered to this issue. :rolleyes:

Chiles4
05-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Just a couple of general solutions I've read about that have worked for people who have VIA motherboards. These aren't JK2-specific solutions but might help just the same.

- Install VIA drivers while in Safe Mode (you should always do it this way whether having problems or not).

- When installing the VIA AGP VXD driver, choose Normal Mode, NOT Turbo (to improve stability).

- You should set your AGP speed in the BIOS to 2x before you install your operating system. M$ has said that when the OS is installed, certain registry settings are initially set based on what bios settings it finds.

These might help VIA owners who are currently having trouble playing JK2. May the force be with you...

fakelocke
05-13-2002, 05:50 AM
I have the same problem as you guys when I play it with my new Geforce 4 MX 440 display card. When I re-installed my old TNT2 M64 display card, JK2 play without any crashing. I also found that my new Geforce 4 MX 440 will make all Quake 3 Engine game go crashing... RTCW, Soldier of Fortune.... no matter i set low or high texture details, resolution, blar blar blar... maybe you guys can try to play your Quake 3 Engine game back... But I play Max Payne with highest detail setting without any problem... really strange. I'm using Win ME, and I would try to install Win 98 to see the difference. But some of you have using Win 98 already, so... I don't know it would help or not...

sandmanfvr
05-14-2002, 01:27 PM
I haven't read every page here, but I can say that the problem is the game ( I know you are saying DUH!, but listen). DaveSauce, though acting like an ass, is right (kind of). It is Direct X, but not the DX itself, but the game isn't talking to DX right. I have a brand new Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz, 512 megs 133 mhz ram, and Geforce 2 MX 400 64 megs card. Everything else runs like silk on my system, but JK II. I had Win 98SE on it at first and JK II locked in the same place. Went to latest detonator drivers, same crap. It locked in both Single player and Multiplayer. Tried JK II patch in Win 98Se, same crap. Then I went to Win XP Pro. Multiplayer is fine, and Single player freezes at random, but I don't get to play long. Is anybody useing the latest patch for JK II? I haven't seen anybody say that (of course I didn't read every page of this thread but I did read the first 7 or so :D ) they are using the patch. The patch made Single player run better, but frooze the same as everybodies. I think that the game doesn't always talk to DX correctly and that is why different system can run it cause they have different software on it or different setups and DX is running differently on the systems. BUT, this is not letting Raven off the hook. These jerk offs need to fix this and fast. I can't believe the crap this game is giving people. Anyway here is my detailed specs:

P4 1.7 ghz
512 megs 133 mhz ram
Geforce 2 MX 400 64 meg card (Visiontek brand)
Windows XP Professional with ALL Microsoft critical updates and dirver updates
Direct X 8.1 (Of course)

Ruga
05-17-2002, 12:11 AM
Nice theory about DirectX. But can anyone explain why my system continues to be unstable and freeze up now after having had the game installed, even though the game is thoroughly uninstalled now and i've since reinstalled all drivers? Maybe they mess up the directX settings or something; or maybe upgrading DX isn't overwriting all the old files... maybe need t manually deleted it all somehow... and the fact that other games using the same engine start locking up no poeple after installing JO.

This is by far the most hellish experience i've ever had with any software.

Red-3
05-17-2002, 02:57 AM
So Lucasarts support got back to me today and asked me to uninstall JKII, reinstall the 28.32 drivers (I have the 28.90s on my system) and then reinstall JKII

The thing I thought strange was the JKII reinstallation. Does the program affect/tweak the drivers in some way.

By the way, my game became unplayable when I installed a new geForce2 Ti card. Previously I had been running fine (but very slowly) with a TNT2 Vanta.
Turning off GLExtensions at least allows me into the game. What does this do exactly?

I believe it turns off the T&L extensions in the card and turns the geForce effectively into a very fast TNT card. My hunch is that there are also hardware timing issues (probably memory related) in the system which are probably triggered by a bug in the program which is making a rare enhanced 3D api call.
What do you think, Holmes?
I think a patch is overdue.

sandmanfvr
05-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Red-3
So Lucasarts support got back to me today and asked me to uninstall JKII, reinstall the 28.32 drivers (I have the 28.90s on my system) and then reinstall JKII

The thing I thought strange was the JKII reinstallation. Does the program affect/tweak the drivers in some way.

By the way, my game became unplayable when I installed a new geForce2 Ti card. Previously I had been running fine (but very slowly) with a TNT2 Vanta.
Turning off GLExtensions at least allows me into the game. What does this do exactly?

I believe it turns off the T&L extensions in the card and turns the geForce effectively into a very fast TNT card. My hunch is that there are also hardware timing issues (probably memory related) in the system which are probably triggered by a bug in the program which is making a rare enhanced 3D api call.
What do you think, Holmes?
I think a patch is overdue.

I think it is bullsh** that a game edits your system files/drivers like this. I have the 28.32 and have seen great improvements in all my other games (which run fine Raven Soft!!! :mad: ) but I will try uninstalling JK ii (yet again), and doing this. But if this don't work, f**k it. I am tired of this game. It is ok, but I am not going to worry about a game that was programmed so bad that it has all these errors. UT 2k3 and Warcraft 3 will be out next month, and they will be better games and worth my time. After UT 2k3 comes out, it will be the king of FPS for a long time. I will never mess with Raven Soft again, good job Raven Soft. :rolleyes:

Red-3
05-20-2002, 06:00 AM
OK, so I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I've had a trouble-free 3 hour session with JKII this evening.

Here's what I did, mixed with some hunches.

Backed up my save games directory.
I uninstalled JKII from my SECONDARY 7200 rpm drive. (D:\)
I uninstalled the Nvidia detonators.
Restarted computer.

Installed Detonator 28.32
Reboot PC

Re-Installed JKII on my primary HDD (C:\)
** This may be the key to fixing the problem for me.

So now I'm back in default state with GL Extensions On, etc.
Didn't touch the settings, except for brightness.
Played half-way through the first level - things are looking good.

Copied my last quicksave and last saved game into the new saves directory.
Bumped resolution up to 800x600.
Load up where I left off. Play for three hours through a couple of levels. Everything seems fine. Problem solved? Let's hope so.
:amidala:

So here's a few observations:
1) When I used to load up a level off my D: drive the game would stutter momentarily while you panned into an area you had not 'seen' yet. After this initial stutter things were pretty smooth until I entered a new room and then stutter again - almost like the system was loading the geometry into a memory cache. Hard disk resource conflict? My system didn't report any, but who knows?

2) Someone mentioned he thought there may be a bug in the menu selections, so the system perhaps thinks a setting in the menu is off when it's on. My advice, set your settings once and then leave them there!!!

3) When backing up, I noticed the size of my save games gets progressively larger. The first saves were less than 1Mb but my last one way over 5Mb! This obviously accounts for some of the slower loading times and maybe points to a bloat which may be carrying game state bugs with it? (On examination it maybe looks like the game save size relates to how big the level is or perhaps how far through it you are.) I also had lots of save game files and this may also be part of the problem. With the new install I only have half a dozen.

Speculation I know, but until Raven/Lucasarts come back with something solid, it's all we can do.
So my observations from this are that the more you play it, JKII may be experiencing some corruption in it's config files. I am 95% sure it's a bug and would like to see a patch to address it.

Raven, please fix the game instead of putting advanced new sound options for the few people with high-end sound cards! The 1.3 patch is totally useless to me and many other frustrated users whose trust in you is waning fast.
Thanks for listening.

fakelocke
05-23-2002, 06:15 AM
I uninstalled JK2 after "sandmanfvr" conclude the problem maybe directx... I downloaded an application called "directx buster" to uninstall directx, then re-install it... Then, all my other game work now, thanks god. I can concluded that JK2 may corrupt some of the directx files/registry/structure. So this cause all my quake 3 engine game go crash as well. And now, I can play RTCW, SOF2, MOHAA as usual as b4. But my Dungeon Siege still sometimes hang up, but not as frequent as past, when JK2 existed in my PC.
But why my old TNT2 M64 display card do not have problem? Maybe Geforce4 need different instruction set for the game, and those files needed by it are corrupted by JK2... I really dunno, but I think the developers may know. I would not buy lucasart product anymore. Also, i would not install JK2 anymore.

scottws
05-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Hey all, just so you know, I did eventually fix my problem, and I'm running in AGP 4x with the 28.90 drivers.

I installed the newest VIA 4-in-1's.

This alone seemed to solve the problem, but since someone else said that newer video cards don't like ACPI (or whatever) power management, I changed it to "Standard PC" from "ACPI."

Never had a single crash since.

Mutiny32
05-27-2002, 03:02 AM
Well, DX9 doesn't fix it, I installed the beta today, still crashes. The newest leaked 4in1's don't fix it, the PCI latencey patch doesn't fix it, changing sound cards don't fix it. Different detonators don't fix it, nothing seems to fix it. They're about to lose a customer.

darkjester
05-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi all...

Just wanted to let you know. I have had this same problem for several weeks, ever since I bought JKII. I would like to thank everyone who has posted suggestions, as some of these did help the problem, although not fixing it completely.

I reinstalled JK2 several times, rotated Detonator versions MANY times, rotated 4-in-1 drivers, reinstalled sound drivers, changed AGP speeds, applied the latency patch, turned off ACPI in the OS (by installing the Standard PC driver in Windows) etc. etc. etc.!!! None of these fixed the problem for me.

I fixed this problem by disabling ACPI in BIOS! This issue occurs on other games (SOF II for example) and doing this was the only thing that fixed it for me, for all games! (let it run for about 4 hours with no crashes!) This problem is very well documented on VIA's tech forums and some folks suggested doing this. Be advised, disabling ACPI may disable some functionality, such as your PCs ability to powerdown with a shutdown command from the OS. (You will get the "It is safe to turn off your computer" message instead.)

I realize this may not be an option for everyone. (At first the option was disabled, until I applied the "Safe" defaults in BIOS. I could then get to the item and disable ACPI.) However, I hope this helps some of you!

Incidentally, here is my config:
Asus K7M (686a VIA chipset)
Athlon 800Mhz
384MB PC100 RAM
Geforce 3 64MB
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
IBM Deskstar 40GB IDE
Maxtor 10GB IDE
Hitachi 2X DVD-ROM
Yamaha 8/4/24 CDRW

Good luck to everyone, hope you get it fixed!

darkjester
05-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah, running Windows XP Home Edition.

Sorry about that!

Andromeda's Guy
05-28-2002, 05:07 PM
49% of crashes = corrupted illegal copy
49% of errors = illegal copy
rest 2% of problems = hardware /software related

:D :D :D

Dalrion
05-28-2002, 10:07 PM
Just thought I'd post this on this thread too.

I get this problem as well, but ONLY in Multiplayer. I don't have the problem in SP missions.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 800 Mhz
384MB PC133 RAM
Voodoo 3 3000
Win98 FE
DX 8.1
Asus K7V mobo (I think)

bootackimus
05-29-2002, 03:11 AM
I was (hopefully not any more) freezing while playing JO. I just got through with a gaming session that lasted over 2 hours. After quiting it actually went to the desktop which never happened in the past (froze up on exits). Here is the what I tried in order:

installed latest reference drivers - more freezin probs
changed AGP to 2x in BIOS - still had problems
turn off gl extensions - still had probs
installed latest 4in1 drivers - yep still had em
installed 23.11 reference drivers - NO PROBS!!!

this was done on a freshly installed WinXP OS. Not sure if it is a combination of everything but hey it works now. Hope this helps a little.

AMD 1700+
Soyo Dragon +
2 - 256MB Crucial
Win XP
Geforce 2 MX/400
300w P/S

Chastan
05-29-2002, 04:30 AM
Hopefully this is some fresh information (I haven't read through the whole thing)...

Some basics :) :

Make sure nothing else is running in the background...ESPECIALLY KAZAA!!! It slows everything down quite a bit

This may seem irrelevant...but, I suggest downloading the latest version of Ad-aware ( http://www.lavasoft.nu ) and cleaning everything you can find. Many spyware programs I have found cause slowdowns, and can even cause a great deal of crashes.

When you try to do a "clean" installation of JK:O, try to do it in a different directory, or clean out the old one first. If you download bad PK3 files (like models and such) it can cause the game to freeze.

That's it....hope it helps! =)

bootackimus
05-29-2002, 12:53 PM
You may also want to try:

If you have done any BIOS tweaking at all, you may want to go in and mark down all your changes. Then restore the defaults in your bios (normal, not optimal). Change your CPU Frequency and multiplier to your processor speed then I would change the AGP setting from 4x to 2x. Only do this if you are comfortable tweaking the BIOS

You can also try taking out all non-essential hardware components, disableing any onboard devices (sound/lan....) and try to run it on a minimal hardware configuration. If the game does work, start adding components back one at a time. Faulty powere supplies and power supplies that dont have enough juice can cause systems to freeze under intense use, as can most faulty components.

Good Luck!
Boo

Red-3
05-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Red-3
OK, so I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I've had a trouble-free 3 hour session with JKII this evening.

So a week later and I'm pretty much back to square 1.
I've reinstalled the game a couple of times - (the freezing came back, then went away and now is back again.)

So the thing I REALLY can't understand is how yesterday I can play the game for 3 hours straight with GL Extensions on and everything but today it freezes like crazy!!! :confused:

I'm pretty sure it's not overheating. I'm pretty sure it's not drivers. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware conflicts.

I'm pretty sure it IS corruption in the game. A BUG WHICH NEEDS FIXING.

And, BTW, MOHAA hardly ever freezes on my system. I patched it. Perhaps they had the same problem.

SOLUTION: WE DEMAND A FIX, RAVEN/LUCASARTS - Get on it before I send a Death Star round to your Planet!
:deathstar

stevho
05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
yup jk2 has raped my system as well. i didnt realize my other games were ****ed up til i noticed internet explorer randomly freezing. so i tried em and now tribes2 and gta3 both freeze within 5 mins of play. ive had it uninstalled for a while now and tried the directx buster and that didnt work. i talked to one of their techs for a bout 3 weeks tryin different **** and he couldnt figure it out. i dont think its my acpi setting cuz i have an ALi chipset and there are no irq conflicts for my vid and sound card. plus i really dont want to go through the hassle of installin all my drivers and still not have it work. the only reason im not goin friggin crazy is that im buildin a new rig this summer, and im not plannin on installin jk2 on it. this bastard is gettin the torch. i just dont get why it works perfectly on my p.o.s. comp with a v3 in it and no wickedgl drivers.

Ruga
05-30-2002, 12:56 AM
I may be *finally* fixed. At least my system hasn't locked for a few days now (amazing relief). What finally stopped my system from locking was a BIOS flash upgrade.

I must say I've had this computer for a year, and never had a problem like this before. Some well meaning people have told me it was a hardware issue, and just coincidence that my hardware failed at the same time i installed JKII. Now that the BIOS flash seems to have stopped the constant freezing, i think one can safely say it was not hardware, and it's hard to imagine why suddenly my bios locks my system constantly... right after i install JKII until JKII did something which caused some drivers in my system to start locking up due to some setting/bug in my old BIOS.

I still place the blame squarely on JKII. There is no other cause, and coincidence really doesn't seem possible either.

Anyhow, i'm just so happy my box isn't freezing anymore. In fact in a fit of possible massocism i thought I'd reinstall JK and see if i could get my box to freeze again with the new BIOS. I just really want to know if this really fixed it or not.

ANyhow, so i reinstalled the game (which i had no problem with before other than the whole system freezing constantly)... and now i try to run it and it tells me it can't initialise the OpenGL subsystem!!!!!!!!!! Never had that problem last time i installed it.

Seems no end of problems and complications with this software for me...
But anyhow, at least no freezes in two days... i can't say i recommend to everyone to seek out and flash BIOS upgrades (it's not exactly a fun or novice activity)... but it may have worked for me.

BlueBull
05-30-2002, 02:18 PM
I'm getting freeze and sound loop, with my PC totally unresponsive. Sometimes at menu, sometimes play the game for around 10 seconds.

Mine is an original boxed version of the game, a gift from my wife. So sad that I cannot play it.

Demolisher
05-30-2002, 03:24 PM
I seriously think that Raven should fix this annoying problem! We shouldn't have to go ****ing around with our system settings to accomodate their mistakes. Raven, I beg you, FIX THE FREEZING BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please :)

Andromeda's Guy
05-30-2002, 08:46 PM
You have really a problem understanding that don't you? You don't read well, right? Let me make it crystal for you:

YOU HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN ILLEGAL, UNAUTHORIZED, PIRATICAL COPY OF THE GAME -STFU NOW!

Mutiny32
05-31-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Andromeda's Guy
You have really a problem understanding that don't you? You don't read well, right? Let me make it crystal for you:

YOU HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN ILLEGAL, UNAUTHORIZED, PIRATICAL COPY OF THE GAME -STFU NOW!

NO, I BOUGHT THE GAME FROM BEST BUY IN THE TIN FOR $60 OUT OF MY OWN ****ING WALLET.

bootackimus
05-31-2002, 04:26 AM
Hey Andromeda get off the friggin board you idiot. You must be some kind of dolt to think that everyone here and the hundreds of people experiencing this problem all have illegal copies. If you have nothing constructive to say don't say anything.

Anyway, my problem has returned also. After a good 3 hour gaming session the night before last night it locked up after about an hour. Pretty much tried everything suggested on this board so maybe Raven should take an active role in trying to get this fixed.

Oh ok go ahead and keep tooting your horn about illegal copies Andro Gay (what the heck are you doing on the tech support board if you have no probs?) jeesh!

Andromeda's Guy
05-31-2002, 07:35 AM
I am sorry I don't want to offend legal users.
Legal owners should have nothing to hide so there is no need to get angry.
As I said before there is that 2% of people that really have hardware /software problems.

But trust me I know what I am saying. I have tested a corrupted version and also I have found some really nice code lines.
End of case.
As I said the comment is not for the legal owners and you should know it. I am not a GOD to known who haves the game legal and who not...
The rest of you go and roxx to hell and wish you infinite hours of pain when trying to run the game : )

Andromeda's Guy
05-31-2002, 07:37 AM
btw why you think Raven have not make any comments to ALLL THOSE problems and the 1.3 patch did not included any fix for those problems?
Because it's beyond imagination the size of those "bugs"...?
HA! I don't think so...

Xandar
06-01-2002, 05:27 AM
I, too, like many others before me, have my game freeze often. The most I have managed to play is about 10 mins in one go, after this, the game freezes, with that goddamn looping sound thing. After this, I can't close the program any other way than turning off the power socket. My system specs. are:

PIII 701mgz
384MB SDRAM
15GB Hard Drive
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
Win98SE

This must be fixed

Mutiny32
06-01-2002, 10:34 PM
I have a question: How many of you have a Via chipset?

ForceBoi
06-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Ok, as all of us are aware, the game randomly locks up and freezes. Especially with NVIDIA GeForce cards. However...

I have found that the game doesn't lockup with a GeForce2 MX400, but it does with any other full blown GeForce (GeForce2 GTS, GeForce3 Ti, etc). (I tried many video cards.)

I have tried fiddling with the acceleration settings for both the sound and video and no results..

I'm using a GA-7VRX motherboard (VIA KT333), with 512 MB DDR ram, and SB Audigy.

This is strange that it doesn't freeze with the Geforce2MX400, but it does with a full blown GeForce...

What gives..?

Mutiny32
06-02-2002, 02:47 AM
there are only minor differences between the full blown GeForces and the MXes. That's very weird.

ForceBoi
06-02-2002, 07:40 AM
Internally, there is a big difference between the MXs and full GeForces...For one thing, the data width the MX uses is significantly smaller than their full counterparts (64 bit vs 128bit).

But still, this does lead to think that the freezes are related to some line of code dealing with AGP textures...

bootackimus
06-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately ForceBoi that is not the case for me. I have a Geforce2 MX400 and the game locks up on me with the looping sound also. I don't get locked up every 10 minutes like some of the others are having but it does do random lock ups. Trie a lot of the fixes but none have worked.

ForceBoi
06-02-2002, 06:51 PM
This is really strange...now if we had the source code, we could find out :)

I've tried both the GeForce2 GTS and GeForce3 Ti200, and they both freeze. The only one that doesn't freeze is the GeForce2MX400.

JK2 is a great game, but this freezing is driving me nuts.

Chastan
06-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Have you upgraded your motherboard (VIA Chipset) drivers??????

ForceBoi
06-03-2002, 03:26 AM
Yes I have. I have upgraded everything to latest...

Lots of people are having this freezing problem too...there must be a solution!

scottws
06-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Well, I recently purchased Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix - another Raven developed game using the Quake III engine. Where I had previously thought I had gotten my system stable for Jedi Knight II with turning of ACPI and installing the latest 4-in-1 drivers, the freezing problem reappeared for me in SoFII. I installed George's Latency Patch, and this seemed to help, but I still get crashes in the game (I can't tell with JKII any more because I uninstalled it and traded it).

ForceBoi
06-03-2002, 05:09 PM
What is this latency patch? I want to try...would this apply for the KT333 chipset?

Phr00t
06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
I had the same problem you all had. I have an athlon 1.4, a SB Live card, and all the updated drivers and junk...

My analysis showed that the problem was... drumroll please....

Overheated GPU. It's true. My graphics card had heated up because my uptime was near a week and I was still playing.

My solution: Shut down my unit for a day to let it cool, opened up the side panel and underclocked my Gforce a tad.

Absolutely no problems after that. I even overclocked to my original value, and then some, and no problems yet.

Open up your case and shut down for a day. It'll work, I guarantee it.

ForceBoi
06-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Overheating video cards...that may be the culprit, since the MX400 does run cooler than a full blown GeForce.

But the problem is I already have my case panels off! And I haven't even overclocked it! So it can't be overheating...the damn video card has an enormous heat sink on it already!

Don't tell me I need to put a big 12" fan to blow on it..... :(

Phr00t
06-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Forceboi: Try shutting down your unit for a day and playing immediately after booting up. If it does not lock up for a while then you know that heat is your culprit. Try underclocking your video card.

Red-3
06-04-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ForceBoi
Overheating video cards...that may be the culprit, since the MX400 does run cooler than a full blown GeForce.

But the problem is I already have my case panels off! And I haven't even overclocked it! So it can't be overheating...the damn video card has an enormous heat sink on it already!

Don't tell me I need to put a big 12" fan to blow on it..... :(

I totally disagree that it's overheating. There may be one or two cases where this is true, but I have experienced situations where I have played the game for several hours straight one day and then the next I have turned the computer on, loaded up JKII and had it freeze within 3 minutes of play.
I have a lower spec system which doesn't challenge the GForce 2Ti too much. It is not overclocked and the card has plenty of heatsinks on the RAM and an Orb fan on the GPU.
(If my card was too hot, I don't think Spiderman would run for 3 hours directly after a reboot from a JKII freeze either, now, would it?)
:bdroid2:

The only thing that is overheating is my patience!

Even my son doesn't want to play it now because it keeps freezing. He was still playing JK 1 until this came out - it's a real disappointment all round.
I'm going back to my philosophy of only buying games once they are established and cheaper. Even though this game is well implemented, this bug and the absence of a response from Lucasarts/Raven has totally soured the whole experience. I really don't feel I got value for money this time.
:mad:

janusha
06-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Same problem, and many many deadends later, now its gone.
win2k pro
athlon 1800+ on an asus a7V333, 512 MEG pc2100
radeon 32meg ddr with latest drivers
directX8.1
jkII patch 1.03

(2 weeks into problem: )
Temporary relief from uninstalling and reinstalling. Played an hour or maybe two, got all excited, but freezes started again, and got more and more frequent until game basically unplayable again, as seen in other posts.

(2.5 weeks into problem: )
rebuilt from ground up, VIA drivers, radeon drivers, directx re-install. Some relief again, but just got more and more frequent again.

Then, I ran Norton Systemworks, found 2 flaws in the directX installation, fixed them, restarted, got excited, but it had no effect. reinstalled dx, re-ran the test, nothing, nada, dead end.

:(. Then, I did two more things of note.

1) Having more or less given up, i happened to defragment by drive, and oddly enough it was actually quite fragmented (~18%). The most fragmented files had nothing to do with jkII nor dX8, so it's still a mystery,

2) I had nearly 100 save games, and the game started doing really weird things, like I'd try to save a new game and it would actually just create a copy of an old save-game, and put it at the top of the list. Very puzzling, not to mention frustrating. So, I deleted almost all of my save games.

BOTTOM LINE) No more freezing. none at all. turned my gl extensions back on, went back to 800x600, cranked up the textures etc...

Could it be some weird bug in how it manages the save game files?
a) I get a sound stutter every time I go into the load section of the main menu
b) these crashes seem to be most frequent in the few seconds following a save or a load.

Xandar
06-05-2002, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, fixed the SP freeze by turning of GL extensions, but now my game freezes with the sound loop as well when I click on 'Join Server' in multiplayer. Any tips/suggestions/solutions?

Red-3
06-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by janusha
Same problem, but now its gone.

After trying a thousand things, I finally just uninstalled jkii, keeping save game files, and reinstalled. Now an hour of freeze-free single player has gone by. Seems faster too, which is nice.

Is it possible that when you update video drivers you just have to suck it up and reinstall the game? This is my guess.

Similar story to mine, but the freezes came back a few days later and now things are so bad I've all but given up trying to play the game. I've also started to have the general random system crashes (which others have reported) now.

Very frustrating...

ForceBoi
06-05-2002, 06:48 PM
IS raven even aware of our this freezing problem? This isn't just a problem a few people are having...

sandmanfvr
06-06-2002, 12:56 PM
I am glad my conclusion helped somebody. heh But on the GeForce 2 MX 400, I have that it does this so the MX vs full cards isn't right. Not to call anybody a liar you know. This but is code related and is random. Sigh. I have the game uninstalled and play other stuff till a fix comes, IF it comes.

Demolisher
06-07-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ForceBoi
IS raven even aware of our this freezing problem? This isn't just a problem a few people are having...

It's happening to a lot of people, including me :(. A while ago I posted about this on the main forum, linking to this thread and others, and Mike Gummelt responded by saying that it was the first he had heard of this problem and he never said anything else afterwards. This is so frustrating to me, you have no idea. This game should not be freezing for any of us unless you have a 5 year old computer

Buddhaboi
06-07-2002, 11:31 PM
ok i just recently bought jk2... after i installed it i got that ghey white screen of death prob.. i got that fixed when i switched the compatibility to 98/me... now here's the prob... after i pass the white screen part the first open logos/cinematics the one with lucasarts/activision/ then raven once raven finishes playin it freezes right b4 the setup screen... i get a black screen with a blueish flickering cloud @ the bottom of the screen and i can't do nuttin but just closing it... PLZ HELP ME!

system specs:

AMD 900mhz
384megs ddr ram
SB Live 5.1 Platinum
ATI 128megs Radeon 7500
k7t266 Pro2 mobo
winXP pro

yes i have all the latest drivers for everything from via chipset to sound card... so plz plz help me get passed this... and yes i have tried reinstalling over and over agian

Mutiny32
06-09-2002, 03:59 AM
Okay! I have grat news for me! I tried EVERYTHING. One small setting plus a whole lotta different crap finally fixed it! I installed DirectX 9, installed the PCI latency patch for VIA chipsets, modified the memory timing using WPCREDIT, disabled ACPI, installed latest VIA 4in1 beta's, installed the latest nVidia beta drivers (leaked). I had not fixed it yet. I was about to give up on the game, until I looked at the settings for the game in MP. I had EAX on for some dumb reason, and then I disabled GL extensions. FIXED! It still locks up for about 5 seconds when I die, but I'm sure that's another issue. I believe the problem was with the chipset and the nVidia card mostly. Dunno how, but I fixed it.

ForceBoi
06-09-2002, 07:03 AM
So does this mean there are problems with GeForce and VIA?

But it also locks up on SIS and Radeon...

(note, both are using AMD on Windows XP.)

Could it be with AMD?

Or is it just windowsxp??

*T¥RANITH*
06-09-2002, 12:06 PM
I'm getting problems similar to the ones you are describing, only they are not random.
About 3 weeks ago, jediknightii just started crashing on me, and after messing around I found it was when other people catch their sabers after throwing them...
Nothing else makes it freeze like this, and I can throw my saber just fine, it's just when other people do it, online, and even just bots.
My system specs are:
P3 600
Nvidia GF2Pro 64Mb
128Mb RAM
Windows '98 (so it's not just WinXP)
Legit copy of JKII (I first thought it was cos I installed it off a copied version, but I installed it on a different drive twice from the legit copy, and still the same problem)
Oh well, no JKII for me until they release a patch :(
Or until I find the problem....

*T¥RANITH*
06-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Omg, 2 minutes of playing and I just fixed my problem (or at least so I think) Desann managed to throw his lightsaber 5 times at me and no crashes :D
All I did was turn EAX off! I have no idea why it should have been enabled in the first place, but if everyone else's problem is related to this, I urge you all to turn EAX off and try it.
I still have GL Extensions on, and the game seems fine.
3 weeks of trying loads of different things all cos of that...grrr :mad:
I had a feeling from the start it was my soundcard, I dunno why. I am so stupid for not checking that option off...
Oh well, at least it's working now, hope i'm not proven wrong :P

ryanuk500
06-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Raven need to hurry up and release a patch for this MAJOR problem!! Everyone who reads this, send a complaint to raven and maybe they'll do something about it.

Raven_Xwing
06-10-2002, 12:02 AM
crap I finally got to the end of this thread to find out if anyone has a "common fix" yet. Unfortunatly there doesnt seem to be a common fix.
I to have the sound looping freezing problem
specs
Athlon 1700 xp proc
geforce 2 mx 32 mb
512 ram
hercules muse soundcard
mirosoft intellimouse optical

from what I have read so far the people that have fixed the freezing bug have done so by accident or they work for awhile and freeze up again
My single player game works fine only have this problem with Multi-player usually after around 5 minutes of playing.
Also it didn't happen until I put in the 1.3 patch think that has anything to do with it?
By the way RAVEN SOFTWARE why havent you responded to this thread? This is rediculas to pay 50.00 for a game and not have it work right!

*T¥RANITH*
06-10-2002, 06:33 AM
Raven_Xwing, try turning EAX off, it seems to have worked for at least 2 of us in this thread. If it does not work, or u have EAX disabled already, then it is obviously not the same problem.
Although, it does seem to be a sound problem, so you could try tweaking with sound settings, see if that helps?

[edit] I just found this on the 1.03 information

This update for the game has been modified to:
---------------------------------------------

Provide EAX® 3.0 and OpenAL support. To enable these options, you will need to enable 3D Sound in the Sound Setup menu. NOTE: At the time of release of this update, EAX 3.0 is only supported on the Creative Labs Inc. SoundBlaster® Audigy(TM) and Extigy(TM) sound cards. NOTE: This feature is not supported on Aureal® Vortex and Vortex 2 sound cards. Enabling this feature with a card with one of these chipsets may cause the game to lock up.

Hmm, 'cause the game to lock up' sound familiar? This is making me think it is more then probably a sound related problem.
Try tweaking sound settings peeps, and report success/problems back here, see if we can fix this deal once and for all.

Anakin18
06-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Add me to the freeze/infinite loop list...Man this blows...before I installed a Windows update I could play for like 1 minute, but after the update, the game freezes in the intro scene with that milk run...run...run...run...

My specs :
AMD 1GHz
256 MB DDR
GeForce 2 PRO
Integrated soundcard...

stevho
06-10-2002, 11:01 AM
welp i found my prob its just not fixable. i believe my vid card is fried, and jk2 just pushed it over the edge cuz after i installed it every one of my other 3d games would freeze as well even internet explorer sometimes.
after tryin a bunch of diff crap and talkin with one of their techs for 3 weeks, i decided to take off my case and blow a fan on it (by this time i had allready uninstalled jk2 for awhile. i fired up tribes 2 and it seemed to last about 5 mins longer than usual. so i installed an a/c in the window next to my comp, turned it up full blast and when it got cold tried tribes2, gta3, and morrowind. they all lasted for about 30 to 45 mins. so i was like thats weird it should work in this temp just fine. so i put the comp right up to the a/c so it was blowin right into it and tribes2 lasted for an hour an a half before i just turned it off. then i put the case back on with the a/c off and crashed within 5 mins. :/
ive only had this card for a year and its never been overclocked (nothin on my comp is) but jk2 finally killed it. and yes its a legal copy.
oh yea and its a ge2 mx400 32mb

Chiles4
06-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Stevho, did your MX400 come with active cooling, do you have a fan screwed into its heatsink blowing down onto it? I used to have one of the original GF2 MXs and its heatsink would get blister hot when I ran "killer" 3D apps. If you don't you might want to consider attaching a 486 fan or something similar blowing down onto the GPU's HSF - it will make a world of difference in your card's stability. Keep in mind it will also void the card's warranty. Don't know if any of this applies to you, but running a GF2 MX400 w/o a fan on a killer 3D app like JK2 will make that GPU "burn"!

On another note:
Got my first "Infiinite Sound Loop" error yesterday! But it wasn't in JK2. I borrowed a friend's HighHeat Baseball 2003 and now I know what everyone's talking about. Given the rig I was playing on, I've come to the following conclusions (as others have):

- it happens on any operating system (I'm using Win98SE)
- it happens with any video card (I'm using a Hercules Kyro 2)
- it can happen with games other than JK2

The ONE thing I had to change on my rig in order to play the game was installing DirectX 8.1. Prior to this I had always used DirectX 8.0a. Seems a little too coincidental to me that as soon as I install DX8.1, I get the infamous "infinite sound loop". Unfortunately, I can't try the HH2003 with DX8.0a as it won't even start up. To me, this definitely smells like a software problem - the key is who's at fault. Shot in the dark here but is there anyone out there using DX8.0a who's getting the "loop"? Anyone out there with a non-VIA board that's getting the problem?

Anakin18
06-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Ofcourse the freeze/infinite sound loop can happen in every other game.But it doesn´t.Not nearly as frequently as it happens in Jedi Knight 2.Of all the games I installed and played on my new rig, JK2 is the 1st one that freezes like that.

People, if JK2 fries your hardware, shouldn´t you like, sue Raven Software & Lucas Arts?

The game has been out quite some time now and a patch should already have been made for this problem.I´m getting real pissed at those people...

I´m thinking about returning my copy...but I´ll stick around and wait for a solution for a while more...

Anakin18
06-10-2002, 08:08 PM
For what it´s worth, I send an e-mail to support@activison.co.uk ...perhaps you should all do the same, I mean, it can´t do harm...

Raven_Xwing
06-11-2002, 02:11 AM
TyraNith, I don't have eax enabled as I dont have a sound card that supports it, I tried all sound settings and really doesnt make a difference, the thing is it is random also, sometimes I can play for hours at a time fine other times it is lucky to last 5 minutes. I have diresct x 8.1 that came with win xp..Seems like xp aggrivates the problem also from what I have read in other posts.
from what I can gather the problem happens when there is a sound effect in the game as well as a big graphic happenning at the same time. The screen freezes , and sound loops over and over. only thing to get out of it is to do a reboot .

Anakin18
06-11-2002, 11:55 AM
I got a reply from activision support, and they said that for some people this freezing/sound loop problem is solved by reducing hardware sound acceleration to basic.It didn´t do the trick for me.

However, I tried running Jedi Knight 2 safe mode and crancked up the graphic settings, guess what -> no freeze/soundloop whatsoever !

Now I can finally enjoy the game.

Raven_Xwing
06-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Anakin, running it that way does it run slow or are the frame rates and graphics still good?

stevho
06-11-2002, 11:32 PM
no chiles there is no fan on my vid's heatsink, i know thats the prob but i dont see why t2 would work before but after installin jk2 wont work now. so im thinkin jk2 made it so hot it screwed somethin up in there. and yes it does get really hot, it will burn my hand if i touch it while a 3d game is runnin. i really dont care about the vids warranty since ill be buildin an entire new rig soon, so maybe ill try the fan.

Chiles4
06-11-2002, 11:40 PM
It seems that the higher you crank your settings, the more likely you are to suffer from the "freezing". I have some experimenting I have to do to see if the blame is DX8.1's or my laziness in installing it - I didn't reinstall mobo, video, or sound drivers after I upgraded to DX8.1.

Stevho, trying to run your GF2 MX on today's games is brutal on that GPU. I used it on older games two years ago like Quake 2 and the thing got blister hot. You really need to screw on a fan and cool that puppy down.

People have stated that JK2 can screw up other games - I have no idea what that's all about.

Anakin18
06-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Raven_Xwing
Anakin, running it that way does it run slow or are the frame rates and graphics still good?

Nope.Graphics are great, frame rate too.I really don´t know what´s the difference between safe mode and normal mode.

merlinova
06-26-2002, 02:56 PM
I have a AMD Athlon 1.4ghz processor, 512mb mem, 64mb Ati Radeon 7500, WinXP OS. Like all of you, I encountered this freeze/lock-up problem in multi-player. Funny thing is, it didn't start happening until a week ago. I had updated all my drivers, and am even using a tweak utility for my graphics card...
Disable GL extensions does no good, at least for me. The one thing that I changed to fix it was to disable EAX sound in the sound menu of the game browser. :D

If this works for you, please let me know @ merlinova@hotmail.com
If any of you know how to keep those annoying messages from popping up in the console when using a gamepad, please, let me know...

Raven_Xwing
06-27-2002, 10:25 AM
Anakin, thanks I haven't tried to run in safe mode yet but I will and report back with the results. A quick update this may be a clue to the problem I don't know.
Ok my 20 gig harddrive was getting pretty full so I went to a comp. show this weekend and purchaced a 60 gig hard drive .I unplugged old hardrive and set it aside, hooked up the new blank 60 gig.I loaded win xp , used the newest nvidia drivers version 29.42, loaded sound card drivers and that was it. Then I loaded Jk2 and patched it to 1.3. so this was the only piece of software and game on the drive. I fired up Jk2 and played for hours ...no freezes! just to make sure I played many hours more over a 3 day period. The game ran great no freezes!
So as an exeriment I shutdown unhooked new hard drive and put in original 20 gig . I fired up Jk2 on that drive and within ten minutes it froze . So I am thinking cool all I had to do is reinstall Jk2 ansd windows. ...Wrong!
After the 20 gig froze I unhooked it again and ran the new hardrive played for another day fine but to night I tried it again and now it freezes just like befor sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes longer :(
Ok so I looked at some other posts others have tried to reload windows and Jk2 with the same results after a couple of days the freezing starts AGAIN! What is there a 2 day virus in the 1.3 patch? Another thing When 1.2 was out I dont ever remember the game freezing. So sorry to rant for so long bottom line still no fix game still freezes!

Raven_Xwing
06-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Update: Just tried to play in safe mode...no good still freezes!:mad: :confused: :evanpiel: :bdroid2: :mad: :(

Mutiny32
06-28-2002, 12:03 AM
I don''t know if I'm off on this or not, but I did have EAX disabled in the sigle player game. When I started playing multiplayer, I checked the settings, and Enabled! Odd, I disabled it and it works fine now!

Raven_Xwing
06-30-2002, 04:58 AM
already checked for eax being off several times...Its off lol! Still freezes

The Half-Ling
07-01-2002, 05:08 AM
I experience problems with JKII crashing on my system every 20-90 minutes, what happenes is the game freezes and all I see is the last screen of the game and nothing happens, I cannot escape I have to use the master switch to restart my computer, my system specs are as follows,

AMD 2100+
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Jedi Knight 2 (1.03)
EAX sound
Creative Labs Audigy Sound Card
4.1 piece Altec Lansing Speakers

Someone help me!
Jake

Headcharge
07-01-2002, 05:23 AM
I had no idea this many people had this problem, I am one of them I need to fiddle with stuff though.

SAIK HUAT
07-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Chancellor Valorum.
I call for a new chancelor to power. I cannot wait and just watch my people die. We need support on this in the next patch because its happening to me to, at least 20-50 times a day.
I have XP home and Athlon 800 and all drivers

ibballin
07-01-2002, 01:15 PM
ok, obvisously Raven isnt going to solve this issue so we need to stick together and solve it. If our computer froze while we were just using it and not playing JKII how would we approach fixing it, update drivers, memory, change settings? and we tried all this many times and i mean MANY TIMES so what else is there that we can do? Has any one tried returing the game for a different one? i was going to try this but i lost my recipt

EdAstle
07-02-2002, 11:17 AM
I've had JK Outcast for a week now and installed the 1.03 patch right away so I don't have any performance details prior to that. But...

1. I thought the game took a long time to load (always around 1-2 minutes) from a checkpoint (infact the 1st gun thing you get to sit in). Changing between "Fastest" & "Bestest" only accounts for around 15 seconds. Maybe I'm just getting impatient in my old age.

2. I'm sure I had more FPS with Quake2 (40's +). I'm getting 20 fps just looking at the rocky scenery in the 1st level. "Fastest" only gives 25 fps.

3. Complete freeze when switching from just 640x480 to 800x600. Sometimes a white screen of death, sometimes it actually gets to the game up updates the screen about once every 10 seconds. I can fire or move the mouse but it takes ages for the update to occur. Changing my mobo BIOS from AGP 4x to 2x seemed to fix this. It was a silly setting as my PCI was overclocked at the time. All the results below are at default (133 RAM/33 PCI).

I came over to you guys for some advice and was a little suprised on the length of the threads occupying these problems. After trawling through them I'm none the wiser.

So here's my contribution in the form of some performance monitoring carried out while loading my checkpoint game (1st level - the sit down gun thing):

System:

512MB PC133 SDRAM
PIII 533Mhz (running at 533 for the tests)
Asus V6800 DDR (32MB) AGP (2x)
Asus P3V4X mobo
Win2k SP2

Latest everything; Direct 8.1b, 29.42 nVidia drivers etc.

These stats are for loading the checkpoint, jumping out of the chair-gun and running about for about 3 seconds and then quiting back to the desktop:

1. CPU utilisation remains pretty much at 100%.

2. Available RAM decreases from 400MB to 21MB. Yes - 21. Now that's cutting it fine.

Those stats were based on my personal "quite high settings". BTW - I'm sure my V6800 used to do antialiasing. Doesn't seem to make any difference (in Flight Simulator 2002) since 29.42 install. Maybe unrelated.

Changing to "Safe Mode - Fastest", the RAM goes 400MB to 250MB.

I have a 17k gif of the performance monitor graph:
http://www.thesignpost.demon.co.uk/JKOutcast/JediKnight_Load_Checkpoint.gif

Strangely my USB modem powered itself off (not even online) while recently playing and I couldn't even logoff after quiting the game (Saving your settings... for eternity).

The first JK game I bought was great, even on a meagre P166. The 2nd JK game was, um, not very good - had more fun with a one piece jigsaw. But this one looks like the game the 2nd should have been. Bar the quirks this is a good game.

Regards,
Ed.

Raven_Xwing
07-02-2002, 12:46 PM
Update: my game still freezes! have tried every sound and video setting ...no good.
I just updated my motherboard drivers so I guess I will try that next . sigh...I hope this gets fixed soon!

Headcharge
07-02-2002, 02:07 PM
I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.

Piccolo_US
07-03-2002, 06:34 AM
I have the latest Nvidia DetonatorXP drivers, latest DirectX, fully updated bios, JO patch, everything. I have tried running in 1024x768 x 32(desktop resolution), 800x600, and 640x480. Only in 1024x768 did I notice hiccups, but in all resolutions it locked up. First time it was as soon as the game started and i was to follow her. The second time it was during the intro while in the ship, and the third and fourth time it locked up as soon as it finished loading the level, before the bar was even off the screen. Everytime but the last, I also got a sound loop. Everytime I had to do a hard reset of my computer because it totally froze. Can we expect another patch anytime soon? I love their games, just installed SOF II.

inferno6k
07-03-2002, 09:54 AM
add me to the list.

constant freezing and sound looping. I currently do not have my SBLive! installed, I am using onboard sound.

I have:
Athlon 2100+ XP
Epox 8k3a
768 MB PC2100 DDR
GF3 TI 200
Windows XP PRO

I am going to try some of these fixes people have had I will reply if any work.

EdAstle
07-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Now I'm not so sure my memory problem was specifically with JK2 Outcast.

After uninstalling a bunch of stuff and reinstalling it my memory now only dips to 178MB rather than 21MB. Didn't reinstall JK though. And my frame rates for looking at the scenery have gone from 20 fps to 60's (1024x768 32 bit colour, high textures, volumetric shadows etc).

All the following is using DX 8.1b...

Uninstalled nVidia 29.42 drivers & Hercules soundcard drivers.

Uninstalled a bunch of stuff using Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware -> Uninstall/Unplug -> Uninstall and enable "Show hidden devices".

I picked off all copies of joysticks, monitors, HID devices and all the "Unknown" devices. It was during this last phase I realised I had removed my Via chipset drivers 'cos there were now only 2 entries for the whole system. Oops.

Rebooted but didn't let any hardware install dialog progress - cancelled all of them.

Reinstalled Via 4in1 "4.39 beta" drivers. Rebooted. Blue screened. Safemode reboot. Reinstalled the AGP 4in1 driver only just to make to sure. Rebooted ok this time.

Installed Asus "29.41" drivers (Win2KXP_2941.exe). States 29.40 in the install dialog and the Asus "Information" dialog so I think the filename is misleading. Rebooted.

Reinstalled Hercules 4.10 drivers. Rebooted twice ('cos they put an entry in the RunOnce registry key after the first reboot but don't ask you to reboot to finish the job - dunno if it makes a difference though).

Reran my OS service pack (in my case w2kSP2SRP1.exe). Rebooted.

JK2 loads my saved game in 50 secs and my framerate has rocketed. My perfmon shows available memory goes from 21MB to a much more respectable 178MB.

Now, there is the possibilty of a huge spanner in the works as I installed the DirectX 8.1 SDK prior to all this to try and resolve a joystick issue.

Essentially only the nVidia 29.42 drivers were removed and replaced with my Asus 29.40 drivers and a service pack reapplied. All the other components were there to start with.

Regards,
Ed.
(Asus P3V4X mobo, 512MB, Asus V6800 DDR AGP, PIII 533, win2k)

Raven_Xwing
07-03-2002, 11:03 AM
well folks we are not alone I just got done cruising the Microsoft website under community newsgroups to try to find a fix for this problem from what I can gather there is no fix yetg. whats more is Jk2 is not the only game that this happens with. Sigh ...some one has to have a fix right? heres the site I was cruising if anyone wants to look.
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windowsxp.games&SLCID=US&scrollnews=m1s9s3s5

Piccolo_US
07-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Well, I started scanning the replies, again, and found one that i though might work. Except, I took it a little further. I turned my desktop color depth down from 32 bit to 16 bit, I also did the same with the 2 settings in the JO graphics settings, plus I am running the game at 800x600 instead of 1024x768 which my desktop is set to. Otherwise, everything is set to the highest setting. I was able to play for about 30 minutes from the very beginning, save my game, and exit the game with no problems at all. I tried each one individually at risk of more lost clusters from rebooting, changed 800x600 to 1024x768, and the texture settings and the other setting bback to 32 bit, and it still worked, atleast so far. Seems just changing my desktop color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit worked.
Also, I cant get Jan to follow me so she can enter the code into the control panel on the first level, she just keeps saying, stuff like, your going the wrong way, or, im not doing this alone, but she wont budge from either the hallway or the room she is in.
One Question, I have a 32 Meg DDR Geforce 2 GTS Deluxe, should handle the game well, but when I enable 32 bit textures the skin tones of the characters change, when looking at the girl(dont know name, sorry) she has normal skin, except she has blocks that look like a shadow is being cast on her, even though one isnt. Any reason for this?
Anyhow, I hope this will work for some of you, It has so far for me, I will keep you updated, and tell yall if I get another lockup/freeze. I had the same problem in Medal of Honor AA, maybe this same thing will work for that also.
Thinking of upgrading to Win2k Pro, any reasons I shouldnt? Other than the fact that I should get XP Pro? Dont have the money.

Demolisher
07-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Headcharge
I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.

I totally agree with you, I get so ****ing upset now whenever the game freezes or crashes because it happens so much to me. RAVEN OR LUCASARTS WILL YOU WAKE UP AND FIX THIS!! :swear: :swear: :mad:

inferno6k
07-04-2002, 12:59 PM
they are more worried about SLOW LOADING TIMES rather than if the game actually RUNS @#!#

Headcharge
07-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Is just getting ridiculous, I can't even play the game, I got my new PC and everything, one of the reasons just so I could play this game, and others. And it doesn't even run, and not only that, but there hasn't even been a fix yet?! This should of been discovered long ago....I hope the fix is released soon, it's already been along time.

Mania
07-05-2002, 02:55 AM
The worst thing is Multiplayer!, ive been told its cuz of my 56k connection which i think is rubbish as more demanding games don't mess up like this, fix this is raven dammit!!

we$ts1de
07-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Disabling EAX helped me fixed this problem. Always wondered wut caused my freezes, they were so annoying. Anways here's my specs.

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 gig)
geforce2mx
40 gig hd
soundblaster 16PCI (this is why i got crashes, even tho it says it supports EAX. apprantly not for JK2 :rolleyes:)
msi K7T Turbo limited mobo

Hope this helps some of u,

westside

Plz Click Here (http://runarena.com/cgi-bin/ra?id=andwut)

Headcharge
07-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Last thing I did was reinstall the latest XP geforce drivers, when I ran JK2 I thought everything was fixed cause it lasted awhile....But then, eventually....It froze again, I'm just gonna give up, I've turned EAX off, lowered the sound quality, turned GL extensions off. Messed with other options as well, and still, no use....I'm just gonna wait till something that really does work comes along I guess. Yeah it sucks, but what else can I do?...:( :confused:

Purple_Tentacle
07-06-2002, 08:44 PM
ok try this.

if it only crashes in mutiplayer like mine, make a server with human slots only, then play on it. can you make it crash with just you running around with no bots ?confused: i can't make it crash when its just me.

this makes me think that it must have something to do with the bots models respawning on death option or something, even though it'll freeze whether this is on or off.:jawa :

Venibond
07-08-2002, 01:41 AM
A long time ago (last week) on a computer far, far away (my roommates room) I could play.

I started playing JO on ......

Soyo SY-6BA * AGP 2x only *
Slot 1 P3 500
3 128 Crucial ram
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram
Windows Xp Home (Made my networking gravy)

The game ran fine with this rig when a few folks where on a server but once more than 6 entered it became chop city, So I bought hardware so that I could play in group battles in JO. (My roomate got my handmedowns ;) )

I then upgraded to .....

Soyo Dragon+
Athlon XP 1800+
2 sticks of Crucial 256 2100 DDR
Volcano 6 HSF
Antec 350 PS
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (From top system)
Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram (from top system)
Windows Xp Home
Latest drivers,bios and updates on all.

I have had nothing but problems for the past week. It started out ok, I was getting regular hangs when people joined the game. Bots even caused this hang when I was running my own network server. I have tried alot of differant configurations without success to fix this but it has got much worse over time and now I get the dreaded Soundloop and/or Crash and Bright Gamma treatment. Other times it just reboots without warning in JO, The 3D Mark 2001 benchmark and the Quake 3 Benchmark. Although other times it may run these programs, its a gamble.

I have went back to other OSes formatting the drive completly with no luck and tried almost every fix in this forum besides the 23.11 drivers(which i am downloading now) and Georges latency Patch.

To make a long story short *Snickers* add me to the list too ;)