PDA

View Full Version : Post your desktop!

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 02:23 PM
I haven't seen any threads with this topic yet. So I figures I might as well get it started! Here's mine. (click here to see the real size 1152x864) (http://www.jediknightii.net/_jackal/mydesktopBIG.jpg)

preview:
http://www.jediknightii.net/_jackal/mydesktopSMALL.jpg

For those that will ask, I use WindowsME and those icons are custom, they are not part of the WindowsME package.

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 02:34 PM
http://www.webspawner.com/users/davedaw/desktop.jpg

I use Windows 98

Kvan
08-18-2001, 02:37 PM
Gee, Jackal I guess your proud of your country ;)
Here is mine....
http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/jahkris/bG.GIF

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 02:40 PM
I never get wallpapers off the internet. I allways make my own. Mainly because I cannot find wallpapers that I really like.
And I also like simple designs. I have like 5 dif versions of that wallpaper. Black, one with a beaver in a canoe (sounds wierd but its cool) and etc.

Kvan
08-18-2001, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by TheJackal
I never get wallpapers off the internet. I allways make my own. Mainly because I cannot find wallpapers that I really like.
Yeah I usually have just a black BG, but fergie showed me the Sith code and it just looks so darn cool! :D

ChrisC3po
08-18-2001, 02:48 PM
http://www.jediknight.net/images/desktop.jpg

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 02:51 PM
Chris, you were right! It's much nicer. Where did you get that?:eek:

update: FOUND IT! :p
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/wallpaper_display.php?pic=earthatnight_1280.jpg

Kvan
08-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Nice pic ChrisC3po!
So it looks like Jackal has icq...hmmmm...;)

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 02:57 PM
:o uh oh.

It's a lie! :)

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 03:00 PM
I always get one from www.desktopstarships.com they have a bunch of good ones. I would like to know how to make one like mine on my own, but i can't even come close. :D

Anyways, here's the one that i had on my laptop

http://www.webspawner.com/users/davedaw2/desktop2.jpg

Kvan
08-18-2001, 03:06 PM
Tie, do you like the color brown? It seems thats what you make your browser color on all your computers.. :)
And EWWW! You have AOL! :D

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Yes, the browinsh color is much easier on your eyes i think, and it just looks better than plain white or black, IMO.

Anyways, i have cable (roadrunner) it is mainly my sister who uses AIM.

Kvan
08-18-2001, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Yes, the browinsh color is much easier on your eyes i think, and it just looks better than plain white or black, IMO.

Anyways, i have cable (roadrunner) it is mainly my sister who uses AIM.
Well I usually switch my browers color according to what my Background is. I try and keep with a theme :)
ICQ is much better! I mean look, you can talk to Chrisc3po or Jackal or even YD! They all have ICQ :D

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 03:20 PM
I should probably know this but.....ICQ?

Anyway, i switched the one on my laptop top often, what else was i gonna do during school?

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-18-2001, 03:23 PM
WHAT'S ICQ?!?!?! I have no clue what it is. Don't laugh. I'm just kind of naive unless someone beats it into my head (unless its Star Wars of course).

BTW TIE, where did you get that awesome A-wing pics? :D

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 03:25 PM
I got it at www.desktopstarships.com They have like 14 pages of pics like that. You have to sign up i think, but it is free.

Sherack Nhar
08-18-2001, 03:27 PM
Here's mine:
http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/desktop.jpg

However, it's bound to change soon, as I switch my desktop background almost every week...

Kvan
08-18-2001, 03:28 PM
You don't need to sign up there to take their pics.
ICQ is an instant messager. :)

Young David
08-18-2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

However, it's bound to change soon, as I switch my desktop background almost every week...

Every weak? I change it every 4 hours .. I use webshots. Currently I have (looks) the R2-D2 desktop from SW.com. But I could easily change it to (presses some buttons on keyboard) Battle of Yavin wallpaper ... also from SW.com ... or (buttons again) lego X-wing from lego.com or (buttons) Calvin and Hobbes ... I could go on for a while ... cause I have 104 wallpapers circulating

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-18-2001, 03:46 PM
I like things kept simple and it shows on my desktop...

c:\mes documents\vincent\dt.bmp

Kvan
08-18-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Cillo Kwi'ley
I like things kept simple and it shows on my desktop...

c:\windows\bureau\dt.bmp
Yup, thats about as simple as a desktop gets! ;)

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 04:17 PM
How to show us your desktop:

-Press the print screen button near the backspace button.
-That stores a picture of your screen into the clipboard (just like copy and past but instead of text, it's an image)
-open up a imaging program (ex: MsPain, Adobe Photoshop, PhotoPaint, etc)
-press paste (if nothing happens, you may have to create a new image with the size of your current resolution)
-save it to your hard drive

now,
To post it on this thread:
-at the bottom of the reply form, there is a section called "Attack file" Click browse (choose your file)
and then click "submit reply"

You might get a message saying the image is too big. In that case, you need to get a site to upload your image. There are numerous places for that. ex: xoom.com, imagehoster.com (or something like that. Just make a search for "free image hosting" on altavista.com

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-18-2001, 04:23 PM
Simple? I'll say! That is one SIMPLE red X! White background, red X in middle. That's simple alright!

BTW How do you fit all your icons on that tiny thing? :D

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 04:32 PM
www.webspawner.com works very well, they let you leech, but they also only let you have 1 pic.

Boba Rhett
08-18-2001, 04:37 PM
Thought it was going to be Star Wars related didn't ya?

Kvan
08-18-2001, 04:42 PM
Your mean Rhett! Posting attachments when you know the rest of us can't :(

Boba Rhett
08-18-2001, 04:55 PM
Don't worry, I'll only use it when I'm to tired/lazy to bother with uploading something myself. :D

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Comon! There's got to be more! I wonder what Gary and the rest of LEC have as a wallpaper.

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 06:15 PM
Probably nothing really cool or inventive. My dad is a programmer and he just has a plain grey backgtound.

Boba Rhett
08-18-2001, 07:34 PM
That seems to be a common trait among programmers. I wonder why. :confused:

Well, there's that and that there also highly amused by tropical fish screensavers. :D

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-18-2001, 08:38 PM
Jackal, it says under my thing that I "may not post attachments." Is it honorary for one million post, or is it a mod thing or what?

BTW I don't know html so anything that requires that is not available for me to use.

Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 08:43 PM
He can post attachments coz he is a mod, us lowlifes can't :D

We can still get free webspace. It is really easy, just go here and sign up, then folllow the directions www.webspawner.com

TheJackal_jk2
08-18-2001, 10:05 PM
Oh. I didn't know you guys couldn't add an attachment file. Come to think of it, it does make sence that you "low lifes" can't upload anything to the server or some will upload allmost anything and waste the space.

Kvan
08-19-2001, 12:58 AM
Oh. I didn't know you guys couldn't add an attachment file. Come to think of it, it does make sence that you "low lifes" can't upload anything to the server or some will upload allmost anything and waste the space.
I think we need to add horns to your avatar, Jackal!

darthfergie
08-19-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Kvan

I think we need to add horns to your avatar, Jackal!

It scares me enough right now:D

Sherack Nhar
08-19-2001, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
That seems to be a common trait among programmers. I wonder why. :confused:

Well, there's that and that there also highly amused by tropical fish screensavers. :D ROFLMAO!! My friend Cillo changed his tropical fish background to the plain blue one he posted... and he programs in his free time :D

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 12:59 PM
OK I'm sorry about my lack of a brain... I linked to my hard drive...:eek: Anyway here it is :http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/desktop2.jpg

Kvan
08-19-2001, 01:33 PM
Hehehe...Cillo, did you try to show as little as your desktop, as possible? :D
{EDIT What I mean is your desktop has very little on it. Very few icons, no programs by the clock. It's real bare}

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 02:41 PM
Very creative Chillo, really :D

Why don't you have many icons either? :confused:

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 02:49 PM
Hehehe...Cillo, did you try to show as little as your desktop, as possible?

Could you please reformulate this ? I really don't understand whan you mean...:(

Very creative Chillo, really

Why don't you have many icons either?

As I said, I like simplicity and if I have more icons, this means less free RAM... I have 128 Mb RAM and 256 soon but that does not matter, the less RAM used, the less bugs in RA2...

Seriously it's just that I'm crazy, it's an obsession I have, ask Sherack... I use 4 Gb of my 20 Gb hard drive and I don't keep any MP3 file because it wastes my hard drive space.

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 02:51 PM
OCD? j/k

Anyways, do you play RA2 alot, that is my favorite rts game to date.

Sherack Nhar
08-19-2001, 02:55 PM

As I said, I like simplicity and if I have more icons, this means less free RAM... I have 128 Mb RAM and 256 soon but that does not matter, the less RAM used, the less bugs in RA2...

Seriously it's just that I'm crazy, it's an obsession I have, ask Sherack... I use 4 Gb of my 20 Gb hard drive and I don't keep any MP3 file because it wastes my hard drive space. It's true! It's damn true!! He even deleted small text files of about 3k to save space!! Hell, just today, he told me that he disabled the "login automatically" option of this board so that the cookie won't waste his space :eek:

His little brother's favourite hobby is to waste space with useless demos, so that enrages him :D

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 03:07 PM
Yep, your definately OCD :D My friend is too, he can't stand for anything to be out of order or not in it's place on his computer.

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 03:09 PM
OCD? j/k

Anyways, do you play RA2 alot, that is my favorite rts game to date.

I played a LOT but now I've played so much that I play only like 2 games a day. BTW If you wanna play with me my WOL account is ckwiley.

But what's OCD ? Could it be something like Obsessive Compusive Disease ? I'm sorry I only had about 7 years to learn english in a french speaking environment so I don't know this kinda thing.

Hell, just today, he told me that he disabled the "login automatically" option of this board so that the cookie won't waste his space

I was joking about the space cookies use but I DO delete them... because... oh no... could it be ?... AAAHHHHHHH !!

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 03:16 PM
OCD- Obessive Compulsion Disorder.

I was really just joking. My friend says that i have ADD (attention deficet disorder) so i tell him he has OCD. :D

Boba Rhett
08-19-2001, 05:38 PM
Actually it's Obsessive compulsive disorder. ;)

And Cillo, that's a little......extreme, to say the least. :D

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't want to appear worse than I really am.

I get rid of my cookies because if I wait too much I'm gonna end up with 1000 of them. I don't use much of my hard drive space because I already had an almost full hard drive and it slows down the computer dramatically. I don't keep any useless files like MP3s for the same reason. I just want to feel that my computer is clean and in order.

Sherack Nhar
08-19-2001, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't want to appear worse than I really am. But you are that bad :D

You can have a clean computer without having to delete "useless" files (MP3s are NOT useless :) ), just create additional directories to store them.

Aww, why do I keep on telling him that... he'll never listen ;)

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 08:12 PM
You could compress your hard drive if you are really that worried about it, or have you already done that?

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 08:43 PM
You could compress your hard drive if you are really that worried about it, or have you already done that?

ARE YOU CRAZY ?!
I would decrease the performance !

I know it's not one more Gb on 20 that's gonna make a diffrence... Sherack's ONCE AGAIN exaggerating, he's well-known for that.

I'm just in the line of thought that anything useless should not be kept.

Anyway we talked about this enough. This thread was originally meant to post your desktop so I'll let the others post theirs... unless we already destroyed this thread... I'm sorry TheJackal...

I know this isn't related to the rest of my post, neither to this forum but Tie Guy, you said that RA2 was your favorite RTS. Are you interested in playing against Master Cillo ? Everyone on WOL are either rushers or newbies... I need an opponent of quality !

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 09:47 PM
I said it was my favorite rts, i didn't say i was good. :D

I'm no newbie, but i'm not an expert either, you'd probably crush me. Plus, i'm a bit of a rusher. :D

Anyways, do you play the soviets or the allies?

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-19-2001, 09:59 PM
Damn rusher...

I played the allies at the beginning because I took them in RA1 but everybody in WOL takes them so I decided to play the soviets to be sure there would always be at least one soviet player in the game. But I realized how much better were the allies for my way of playing so I went back to the allies. Now I play both, depending on the map, the opponents, my ally, etc...

Now THAT was off topic !

Master Yoda
08-19-2001, 10:01 PM
how do u take a pic of your desktop??

Boba Rhett
08-19-2001, 10:14 PM
Press the "Print Screen" button that's located around the top right side of your keyboard and then open up a paint program and paste it into it. Then you can save it and upload it.

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 10:22 PM
uh....actually you can't upload it. You'll have to post it on the internet and then link to it. I suggest going to www.webspawner.com it is really easy.

Boba Rhett
08-19-2001, 10:27 PM
I never said he could upload it here. :p

Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 10:45 PM
I said i'm a bit of a rusher. What i normally do though, it set up a wall of GIs (i play the allies) in the chole points to halt enemy attacks while i try to destroy the opponents harvesters that wander awway with tanks and/or harriers. Then, when their resources are low, i send in my GIs and my tanks for bakup to crush the enemy. Also, i don't really like superweapons i think they take a lot of the strategy out of it. (although they add a little too) Do you use them?

EDIT: ok i just saw this and changed my desktop so i had to post it here. (and to get us back on topic)

http://www.webspawner.com/users/davedaw3/desktop%203.jpg

TheJackal_jk2
08-20-2001, 10:11 AM
I really like that wallpaper. I've seen it before at www.swma.net but that has been down for over 2 months I think.

Sherack Nhar
08-20-2001, 12:12 PM
Wow, kick ass wallpaper Tie Guy!

Since when do ISDs fly into the atmosphere?? :D

Boba Rhett
08-20-2001, 12:41 PM
That's frickin awesome!! Think you could send that to me, Tie? :D

Cillo Kwi'ley
08-20-2001, 01:17 PM
Also, i don't really like superweapons i think they take a lot of the strategy out of it. (although they add a little too) Do you use them?
They're too strong... especially the nuke and weather storm. Threr should be an option to play only with the chronosphere and the iron curtain (In the mod RA2 Aftermath you can have this). A friend once told me that a FFA with superweapons was great because there was such a tension, everyone having a superweapon ready, if he fires it, he puts the targeted player out of the game for a good amount of time but everyone else is gonna launch their superweapons on him. I tried it but I was too fast, nobody even had the time to build a superweapon but me. Guess who won...

It was boring because it was either too easy (for me) or too hard (for the others). Of course you can attack the other's base but I also had a great defense so it was, like they say in Mortal Kombat, a flawless victory.

Tie Guy
08-20-2001, 04:47 PM
www.desktopstarships.com They have a ton, you can find one that you like in one of the 14 or so galleries. Also they have fantasy and other Sci-Fi categories if you like that stuff.

Oh, and maybe it's a VSD, they can go in the atmosphere.

Sherack Nhar
08-31-2001, 10:32 PM
I'm reviving the thread for two reasons:
1) I want to see more desktops from you guys!
2)I just created a kickass background that I'm very proud of, and I want to show it to my friends here!

So here it is:
http://galaxycenter.netfirms.com/Sonic.jpg

Now everybody knows how much I worship SEGA, and the Sonic series in particular!
By the way, the quote in the logo says
"I'll never look back, I've got no regrets
'Cause time doesn't wait for me
I choose to go my own way"

If you like it, I could make it available to download in a zipped file. The original sizze is 1280x1024, but I can resize it to other resolutions (I'll try to keep the text readable).

Next up is a Knuckles background :D

Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 10:49 PM
Wow, did you make that yourself, it looks great.
and i'm glad that you consider the people here friends. ;)

Anyways, for the sake of this thread i revived one of my all-time favorite desktops from years past.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/davedaw4/x%2dwing%20desktop.jpg

darthfergie
08-31-2001, 10:57 PM
The Powerful Fergie Fleet...(in the center is the "Darthfergie" my SSD:D )

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/Advance.jpg

TheJackal_jk2
08-31-2001, 11:25 PM
This reminds me. It would be about time for me to make myself a new wallpaper. Hum. I'll need a theme though.

Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 11:40 PM
Hey, Ferg, did you make that, or did you just decide that it was very similar to the "Fergie Fleet" ;)

Jackal, you should go with the badger and canoe thing, i've always wondered what that would look like :D

darthfergie
08-31-2001, 11:44 PM
Hey, Ferg, did you make that, or did you just decide that it was very similar to the "Fergie Fleet" ;)

No the Galactic Press made it when the fleet was lauched on 5647892:D

Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 11:53 PM
Ok, i'll just ask you straight forward coz you obviously can't take a hint. ;)

Who is J Crombach? Is he you?

darthfergie
08-31-2001, 11:54 PM
Ok, i'll just ask you straight forward coz you obviously can't take a hint. ;)

Who is J Crombach? Is he you?

Not even close:D

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:31 PM
Hopefully this is my desktop...

http://www.geocities.com/fergbacca/Background.html?999365746980

(P.S.-Kind of caught me in the act of being on the internet...look at the start bar:) )

TheJackal_jk2
09-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Okay. It's not the beaver in a canoe. But it's pretty cool in my opinion. Simple and abstract. Tell me what you think. (I have a feeling this one wont stay for long though)

BIG IMAGE (http://www.jediknightii.net/_jackal/moons.jpg)

Sherack Nhar
09-02-2001, 09:12 PM
You're not very kind to the 56k ers, TheJackal! Kidding :D

It's very stylish, and I like the choice of colors. My only complain would be that it's a little bit too white in the lower part, but of course it's entirely subjective.

TheJackal_jk2
09-03-2001, 03:56 PM
I was just experimenting. Hehe and sorry 56k modem users. Yes I have a huge resolution. But that is what after all graphic designer use :p

TheJackal_jk2
09-03-2001, 05:37 PM
Okay! This wallpaper will stay for a long time! It just finished it. I started around 3pm. Now it is 4:30pm. :eek: I think I need some time off the PC :D

Since it is quite big go here:
http://www.jediknightii.net/_jackal/abstract3.jpg

Tie Guy
09-03-2001, 11:16 PM
Okay! This wallpaper will stay for a long time! It just finished it. I started around 3pm. Now it is 4:30pm. :eek: I think I need some time off the PC :D

Since it is quite big go here:
http://www.jediknightii.net/_jackal/abstract3.jpg

Geez, you made that whole thing in an gour and a half. It takes me forever to draw a simple x-wing wireframe.

Anyways, thats pretty cool