PDA

View Full Version : Broken Sword vs. Monkey Island

fat-boy-glottis
04-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Wot wuld u say? who wuld win :3headed:
:sweating: :horn: :mob: :laughing: :swear:
We think dat Monkey Island wuld win marginly!!
But Broken Sword 1 + 2 were prob bttr dan MI4!

James Isaac
05-09-2003, 10:25 AM
I didn't like the interface on Broken Sword.

And I stopped playing Broken Sword 1 quite near the end for about a year, then when I got back to it, the story was so complicated that I was confused about what I was actually trying to do.

(And if you haven't guessed, I voted for MI)

pHILBRUSH
05-10-2003, 10:00 AM
MI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-pHILBRUSH

SamNMax
05-14-2003, 08:32 PM
I havn't finished Brocken Sword 1 yet. But I know MI's better.

Gabez
05-16-2003, 07:25 PM
I prefer MI, yes, but it's note entirely fair to compare them both like that. They're quite different really.

Bigsize
05-28-2003, 01:35 PM
i think that's a tricky question...
i mean bs is a more logic and realistic game and mi is more of a wacky quests game ... :)
but i prefere mi of course !

Wazo16
06-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I prefer Monkey island myslef more funny :c3po: and better game puzzles

[bs25]MrKaese
06-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi,

i prefer Monkey Island aswell, BUT i like Broken Sword aswell, just because i'am working at an inofficial sequel to it.

Broken Sword 2.5 - Return of the Templars
http://www.brokensword25.com

greetz Cheesie

James Isaac
06-04-2003, 01:46 PM
I have seen the website for Broken Sword 2.5, that looks soooo good! :D

Aranolorion
06-26-2003, 04:40 PM
imho, its like comparing chalk and cheese. why would you do that???

but as it stands, i prefer Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, to all adventure games bar Grim Fandango...

HIM-island
07-08-2003, 08:54 AM
i prefer bs over mi 1 & 2 because it's just more replay ,like i played out bs shadow of the templars on the gba out probably 5 times because it has just really good replay when i played mi 1 and 2 i played it only once .The humor in bs is better though i prefer mi3 and 4 over bs .

Mentat88
07-09-2003, 12:49 AM
I haven't played BS yet. However, it really should be no contest :p

I grew up with monkey island, I'll die with monkey island.

Demon Chuckie
07-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Monkey Island is my life. so yeah... I just prefer comedy. but yeah BS is good too and BS3 looks good as it should be more action orientated.

Demon Chuckie
07-09-2003, 05:21 PM
It's not suprising That Monkey Island is leading seeing as THIS IS A MOKEY ISLAND FORUM!:rolleyes:

Scallywag629
07-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Whats Broken Sword? Never heard of it...
Ahh but Monkey Island be the game for me laddies.
:horn: :snipe1:

sea_cucumber
07-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Monkey Island!!!
But if you make another poll about Monkey Island 4 and SYBERIA I'd choose SYBERIA. It's just better.

Cutthroat_Nick
07-16-2003, 09:27 AM
How could anyone think that broken sword is better than Monkey Island! Its insane!
I'm loosing my mind!
Its incredable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlius
07-19-2003, 03:17 AM
It depends which of the games you are comparing. If it is MI 1, MI 2 and CMI vs BS1 and BS 2, the Monkey Island series win.
If it is between EMI and the BS series I would go with the BS series.
BS1 is extremely good, the second one is like EMI for the MI series.

Governor Phatt
07-19-2003, 07:08 PM
I refuse to vote in this poll, cos quite frankly id feel cheap whichever one i pick.

I love both games loads, but i could never pick one, its like picking ur favourite child lol, or at least it is for people who love broken sword......

Or is it just me...?

A_Denial
08-23-2003, 05:18 PM
I didn't actually play Broken Sword and it's sequel until 2 years ago, having played Monkey Island games a long time before that. So, I believe that both games are good, but I was a lot less fresh playing Broken Sword, than Monkey Island. Added to this, I have grown up with Monkey Island, it has a better storyline in my opinion, not to say Broken Sword's is bad, because it certainly is not, I think it is a great story. Monkey Island is like a part of my life, whereas Broken Sword is merely an experience in my life, in a way.

Basically what I am saying is, that Broken Sword is excellent, just not AS excellent as Monkey Island, so Monkey Island wins in my opinion.

Bushmeister
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
As you're posting this on an MI forum, I'm not too surprised with the current answer but would have to agree that I prefer MI to BS, by a significant margin (although GF is probably the best).

nelsonjr
08-29-2003, 03:22 PM
to all of you who have posted about the Broken Sword Games, which version do you have? I can only find the playstation and GBA versions. I can't find the PC version anywhere (is there a PC version?). Also, which version is the best, because I want to get the BS games.

HIM-island
08-29-2003, 03:52 PM
i had bs 3 the shadow of the templars on the gba ,but there's also a bs shadow of the templars on the pc.It's an old version and it's only to be found on ebay.

Gabez
08-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Speaking of which... SOMI on the GBA? Yes please! Go on LucasArts. You know you want to.

Bushmeister
08-30-2003, 10:41 AM
That would indeed rock the house, what would be even better would be if LucasArts had the eternal wisdom to convert their 2D adventure portfolio over to GBA, I would buy the lot of them all over again I can tell you that, and I bet a lot of other people would too, not just nostalgists but possible new fans also.

Captain_Izzi
09-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Personally i think MI wins hands down.

Also, about the GBA SOMI.........er yes please! Wow that would be wicked. Then more and more people would start liking MI and it would be a craze with cool people but we can all say we liked it even before the GBA came out and they'll and think we're super pirates and then the whole world will become so MI orientated that we slip back into the 13th century with pirate ships and pirate and looting and grog and pillaging and grog and rum and grog and skullduggery and grog and MONKEY ISLAND (and grog) and we all become pirates and loot and steal and ransack places and it becomes so cool and I have a ship, a crew and a map to Monkey Island and.....sorry, this is just my dream.....it's the way forward....heh.....heheheh......hehe.....:monkey1: ....:monkey2:......sorry...:D !

Captain Gonzo
09-04-2003, 11:29 AM
I think the Broken Sword games are good, but they're no match for Monkey Island.

First of all, BS has a pretty boring main character. I just don't think there was much effort put into establishing any strong personality with George. Whereas with SoMI Guybrush's character is well-defined early on through conversation and his reactions to things. BS concentrates on plot and not its main character, but MI delivers on both I think. In BS, the police inspector was more interesting than George, which isn't a good thing.

Musically, MI games win hands down. I can't remember any strong tunes from the BS games. Also sometimes there were odd musical cues to suggest the plot had taken a sudden twist, when nothing that important had happened.

BS shone in its animation and had a fairly decent plot, so I don't mean to be harsh about it. I just think there are big qualitative differences in how well-produced the MI games are, compared to BS.

Glottis512
10-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Monkey Island wins hands down.
I have played all 4 MI and the 2nd BS.
Monkey Island had humour, reggae , more monkeys than a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck monkeys.
also clever jokes only smart people will understand.:confused:

I only played Broken Sword because 1) I was bored after finishing
the MI games 2) It was cheap!!!!!!!
Unfortunately all it did was crash my computer 5 TIMES!!
Whenever it did work I found the gameplay pedestrian, uninspired, not to mention the simplicity. Coupled with the fact you can die (boy did i find that out the hard way).:swear:
:sweating:

Anomonous Guy
10-12-2003, 04:41 PM
BS 1 and 2 are seriously brilliant games, as are all of the monkey island games... I really didnt want to choose because they r completely diffrerent, buti have decided on MI... But broken sword was extremely good!

Monkey Rhetoric
10-12-2003, 09:13 PM
This was tough, while Monkeys 1&2 are clearly better than either Broken Sword games, they are about parallel with 4 and much better than three. Overall despite Broken Sword's Cleverness and excellent "story-telling" approach to gameplay (that is to say the game is played as if George is telling someone about it later) it is no match for the classic Monkeys so they get my vote.

Swedishman
10-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Well..., it IS a tricky question.., but I think that MI will win...
But if we ould compare MI and GK..., Im not sure if I would pick MI as my favourite.....