PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons

Rogue 4
09-05-2001, 09:10 PM
Okay, so the movie sux, but the game is awesome. By the way, I'm new here. Anybody an RPGer out there? It's an awesome game, because you can be like chaotic evil with a totally dominant arsenal of weapons and slaghter dozens of innocent townspeople.
Or you can be a majstic paladin and thwart the forces of evil.

ESE_Sithlord
09-05-2001, 10:59 PM
The Movie wasnt good or Bad its just kind of a Disappointment for allot of people but then again it was good to some people.

Kylilin
09-06-2001, 12:27 AM
D&D rocks, I love it, although I find it difficult to find people to play with...the video games aren't bad either...

oninosensi
09-06-2001, 12:41 AM
<--has lost track of the number of games he has played, or run, or watched disolve into a pit of pure silliness.

StormHammer
09-06-2001, 01:29 AM
I've played some RPG games - and read some fantasy RPG novels - but I've never actually sat around a table and played D&D face to face.

I'm not sure that would happen any time soon either, because I've grown a bit tired of dragons, elves, dwarves, orcs and all the other creatures that seem to feature in almost every tale.

In those terms, Tolkien certainly has a lot to answer for, assuming he was the catalyst that inspired the originators of D&D to use such races/monsters.

I actually groan aloud these days when I hear about yet another quest to recover yet another fabled magical artefact to destroy yet another evil wizard or dragon.

I used to read a lot of the D&D novels, such as Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc, but they all started to sound the same to me, so I stopped getting them.

That's not to say I've lost interest in RPG's though. I'm looking forward to the Knights Of The Old Republic, Star Wars: Galaxies, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Arx Fatalis games on the PC.

I just wish there was a lot more originality in many RPG's, both the games and the novelisations.

BeastMaster
09-06-2001, 12:36 PM
I've played a handful of Star Wars games (using WEG's old D6 system), but I didn'T enjoy them that much. Of the folks I was gaming with, maybe two others had any familiarity with RPGs, and they were more into D&D than anything SFnal.

I also tended to know more about the GFFA than the GM, so that ruined lots of things, as did the fact that it takes close to three minutes to die-roll a split-second blaster shootout. :rolleyes:

I haven't bothered to learn WotC's D20 system (I'm not gonna throw out a ginormous collection of WEG stuff just because some suits have decided that it's out of date). I'm mentally toying with a "house rule" to adopt in the WEG system, using "hit points" to try to make battles quicker and more realistically "dirty."

I do have some RPG stuff up on my site ( The BeastMaster's Den (http://www.geocities.com/mark_a_brown/central.html) ), but I haven't updated in a while (due to "real" world concerns). When I do, I'm gonna be adapting stuff into WEG terms.

I'm planning on making stats for the tools/weapons from DF/JK/MotS, the ships from XWA (and a few user-made opts), and converting some WotC stuff into D6 format.

Originally posted by StormHammer:
<STRONG>I actually groan aloud these days when I hear about yet another quest to recover yet another fabled magical artefact to destroy yet another evil wizard or dragon.</STRONG>

So do I (the forum's resident dragon ;) ).

These are fantasy clichés, and half the fun of good fantasy is seeing how to avoid them.

Imagine the typical "Knight rescues Princess from Dragon" story, told from the dragon's pov, or the princess' (as in Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles; although Cimmorene is hardly a typical princess).

My personal fantasy tastes run more toward Lovecraft than Tolkien. :p

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: BeastMaster ]

StormHammer
09-07-2001, 03:35 AM
BeastMaster

My personal fantasy tastes run more toward Lovecraft than Tolkien.

Yeah, Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos is quite good. Basil Copper touches on something similar in his Great White Space (among others), which I also enjoyed reading.

As far as fantasy goes, I enjoy reading Robert E. Howard (who as you probably know brought Conan to the world). He's got a dark and gritty style filled with the passion of the moment (much like Frank Frazetta the artist).

David Gemmell's works such as Legend and Waylander are very good.

I found Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant thoroughly enjoyable.

Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger makes a refreshing change, as well as his Thranx/Humanx novels (The Icerigger Trilogy is a favourite)

The Warlock In Spite of Himself by Stasheff is inspired and quite humorous.

I also like Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels.

Now if only someone would make these into gaming worlds. ;)

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

BeastMaster
09-07-2001, 06:21 PM
You can do it yourself, actually, if you can acquire a copy of WEG's D6 kit (it came out years ago, but I haven't been able to track down a copy). It apparently has rules and tricks for creating your own D6-style adventure games.

Y'know what else would make a hella' cool RPG setting? The world of Stargate SG-1. Think of it; you could choose betwen being one of the SG teams out of earth (even if SG-1 is off-limits), or the Tok'Ra, or even one of the System Lords.

<small>for me; a former Jaffa mercenary, occasionally allied with the Tok'Ra or the SGC.</small> :cool:

Cool Idea I had over on XWA.net: Use a time machine to "Bill & Ted" some historical figures, then get Bram Stoker, Edgar Allen Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, Wes Craven, Joss Whedon, and Tim Burton all together in a room.

Can you imagine the stories that would come out?!? :eek: