PDA

View Full Version : Why are R2 and C3PO in Bespin?

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 06:55 PM
It was cool to see these two hanging out in that one room on Bespin. But why are they there? They looked great, but didn't seem to have a purpose.

I slashed 'em up good.

If it moves, kill it.

LessThanJake
04-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Probably just for the hell of it. It put a smile on my face. Then I proceeded with a quick chop down the middle.

darky
04-09-2002, 07:04 PM
Did you ever think that they might not be Threepio or Artoo?

:)

OK, bye bye.

JaG|Kaiser
04-09-2002, 07:04 PM
It was funny when they ran out from behind the stairwell.

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Hmmmm, didn't think of that.

But, maybe those aren't stormtroopers either. Maybe they're stormpoopers. And it wasn't Luke, it was Fluke.

Pvt_Dancer
04-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Oh I took them to be different droids of the same make and model. His voice is different...

I saw them as just another of the references to the movies that they threw in. The one I thought was kind of cheesy is when Lando said "hive of scum and villany." Thought it was too exact a verbal refference to be funny.

If it is the gruesome twosome then maybe they're on loan to Lando. Luke certainly doesn't need droids on Yavin.

GreyJedi
04-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Isn't C3PO the droid who greets you on your first visit to Yavin to retrieve your saber? How could he be on Bespin as well?

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Oooo, greyjedi was using the force on that one. nice catch.

BIGBrother
04-09-2002, 07:18 PM
Well they're just protocol droids so maybe one or both of them isn't C3PO.

However, on Bespin where it's an r2 and a protocol droid together and they argue (sort of).... I think we're meant to assume they're our old friends.

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 07:21 PM
This has always bothered me since TPM. Little Anakin supposedly assembles C3Po by hand. Why is it that he just happens to look and operate just like "other" C3PO-like droids. Wouldn't he be kind of a custom job?

I'm starting to sound like one of those dorks that picks everything apart. I should shut up now.

FortisVis
04-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Master Spiff
Hmmmm, didn't think of that.

But, maybe those aren't stormtroopers either. Maybe they're stormpoopers. And it wasn't Luke, it was Fluke.

lmao

i dunno why, that just made me laugh lol.

Anyway, i assumed that they were C3PO and R2-D2, but that protocol droid didn't exactly sound like him.

Also, does anyone else like to slash up the black protocol droids throughout the game? You hit them once and they say "I'm doomed" haha. Then they blow up :p

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 07:43 PM
I had just turned on the dismemberment cheat after getting into the garbage smasher level. One of those black droids was standing in the corner just waiting to be disassembled. I cut him up into so many pieces.

You gotta love these games!

Malys
04-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Master Spiff
This has always bothered me since TPM. Little Anakin supposedly assembles C3Po by hand. Why is it that he just happens to look and operate just like "other" C3PO-like droids. Wouldn't he be kind of a custom job?

Maybe he got "Assemble-Ready C3PO Robot" for birthday? :p ;)

Gager
04-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Not that this has much to do with the topic at hand, but in reply to Master Spiff's question about Anakin building C3PO: Maybe he had a manual or something? They sell car manuals at almost every parts store, so why couldn't Anakin have come across a C3PO manual? When somebody tells you that they built a car, you don't assume that it's some bold new design do you? No, most people commonly understand that when somebody builds a car, though it may have some custom things added, it's still going to be a copy of some other make and model.

With that said (getting back on topic) I don't think that the two droids on Bespin were the real Slim Shady's.

(Ehh, not to sound like on of those dorks you were talking about...)

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 07:57 PM
I think it was eye candy for the hell of it. They looked especially clean and detailed.

CatholLynAyt
04-09-2002, 08:16 PM
We're way off topic now, but what the heck:

Anakin built C3PO as a standard protocol droid because those were the parts he had. He was owned by a junk dealer, remember. So he probably had some of the pieces for a protocol droid, including the CPU, and scavenged the rest from other junk in the shop or things he found in the neighborhood trash. That would explain the fluency in 6 million forms of communication: it came built in. Then again, maybe GL will have an explanation for C3PO's programming in AotC.

I liked the R2-D2 and C3PO appearance in the game. It was a funny throwaway reference, like some of Lando's lines. And unlike most of you, I left them alone. I'm a good Jedi. No sense destroying functional droids just for laughs.

CaptainRAVE
04-09-2002, 08:25 PM
For those of you who dont know its something called an easter egg....the same kind of thing was put into Jedi Knight when you found max. I have to admit it put one hell of a smile on my face :D

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 08:31 PM
maybe they should have put them in a secret room. a true easter egg.

Master Spiff
04-09-2002, 08:32 PM
sweet!

I just turned into a pit droid.

Makkoan
04-09-2002, 08:36 PM
They sound like our friends.......
"Thank the maker, were saved!"
"beep beep beep"
"Oh have it your way."

Home_Sliced
04-09-2002, 08:51 PM
"These aren't the droids you're looking for."
"You can go about your business."
"Move along."

caelestis
04-09-2002, 08:55 PM
as everyone probably noticed raven put in just about every star wars reference they could think of. and that happened to include c3po and r2d2. so yes, i am sure they were meant to be c3po and r2d2, although i cannot think of any logical reason they would be there, you would think raven would have put them both at the jedi academy, but whatever, it's still cool

and i wouldnt really call them an easter egg considering they were in plain site and they were an obvious star wars reference, unlike max in jedi knight, which is an easter egg (although i dont remember where he was).

Schizophrenic
04-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by caelestis
you would think raven would have put them both at the jedi academy

I've always believed that the 3PO at the beginning of Yavin Temple was THE Threepio (even if the voice sounded nothing like him), and that one of the R2's there (one R2 and two R5's in the hanger, one of each in the control room in the back) was THE Artoo.

The 3PO and R2 on Bespin were just another set of droids.

Essobie
04-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by darky
Did you ever think that they might not be Threepio or Artoo?

It's definately Threepio and Artoo, or my name isn't Essobie.

Essobie

FortisVis
04-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by CatholLynAyt

And unlike most of you, I left them alone. I'm a good Jedi. No sense destroying functional droids just for laughs.

Hey i'm a good jedi too! :angel:

I didn't have the heart to slice them up . :c3po:

Badgerboy
04-09-2002, 11:41 PM
Frankly, all protocol droids should be melted down and used to make paperweights. Who in their right mind would program a camp droid?! It beggars belief!

They should have left Threepio with the bloody Jawas. I guarantee he'd turn out to become a R5 unit's *****.

And why did they take the mincing tinman to Endor? HE'S BRIGHT GOLD! I don't know why the others bothered getting cammo'ed up when they take along the shining beacon of fruitiness. And then there are those bloody Ewoks....arghhh! Thankfully their planet would have been wiped out by the destruction of the Deathstar. 1km sized chunks of metal slamming into the planet so hard as to exterminate all life... JUSTICE!

Stop the madness! Kill all protocol droids on sight! If not for me then for your childrens sake!

BTW The Ewok that got blown apart by the AT-ST and then is found to be dead by his friend..... I laughed so hard I nearly passed out. Anyone agree?

TheArch
04-09-2002, 11:45 PM
do you have any IDEA what droids are going for nowadays?!?!

and you just chop one up for fun!!

GO TO YOUR ROOMS!!!

kids these days, sheesh! they just don't have no respect for nuthin' anymore :)

Emon
04-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Guys, there isn't just ONE gold protocol droid with the name C-3PO. There are many gold protocol droids with different names, they are just the same model. Same goes for R2 and R5 units, or R6s, etc.

The "3PO" and "R2" units are comic relief, they're supposed to be imitations of the real C-3P0 and R2-D2.

ElderJediLord
04-10-2002, 12:11 AM
Not to mention theres, C1PO, C2PO, C3PO, C4PO, and C5PO if I remember correction, R units are R1D9, R2D2, R3, R4, and R5
I've seen R1 mentioned extremly rarely, same with r3, and r4 versions, R5 is mentioned pretty much.
I've heard of the C1, C2, C3, and C4, C5PO, I belive I've read somewhere.....

Emon
04-10-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm sure there's more of each model than that. Probably after C9PO comes C10P0 I'd imagine, or maybe the letters would change, to like C1P1, etc...

Eternity
04-10-2002, 12:18 AM
Nah, it was them, it was quite obvious, really. Start doubting whether that was our old friends and then you start thinking about stuff like did we ever land on the moon and whether anything actually is real, and then you turn in to one of the deep-thought groupies who smoke crack laced with PSP.

Sorry, what?

I slashed 'em up good.

If it moves, kill it.

Muhahaha, before I sliced and diced 'em I spawned Luke so he could watch. Wish I coulda spawned Darth Vacuum Cleaner, I could see the wuss staring at his droid in his stupid super-man cape and freaking coal scuttle thing covering his entire face breathing noisily while I force gripped the sorry piece of Comic Relief For the Kiddies in The Audience.

Muahahhaha.

Yes, I get looks in school every day, usually when I'm pretending to be Satan.

DigitalVapor
04-10-2002, 12:44 AM
ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That has got to be the funniest post i have read since the everquest boards post about the green clad dwarf running through a zone with a millon enemies chasing him and saying "always after me lucky charms!"

Darth Vacume Cleaner..........LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm with an avatar of Pee Wee Herman I can see why you get called Satan lol!!!!

PsiSilverthorn
04-10-2002, 02:29 AM
OF COURSE IT WAS R2 AND 3PO!!! Do any other 3po and r2 units hang around each other and bicker like they do in this scene???!!! And the "Thank the maker" line is PURE Threepio...regardless of the illogic of them being on Bespin it is obviously them

Darth Abbadon
04-10-2002, 02:41 AM
While I won't be getting into the disscussion of if it was or wasn't them, I can tell you that the phrase "Thank the maker" is a generic droid expression equivalent to our saying "Thank god". It does not belong to just C3PO.

TheAlbaniac
04-10-2002, 04:10 AM
isn't it possible that Anakin created the first protocol droid of this particular model, and it was later used as a model for other droids?

Rocketman
04-10-2002, 05:20 AM
out to get revenge on that ass that shot 3P0 to bits.

Mattman
04-10-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by TheAlbaniac
isn't it possible that Anakin created the first protocol droid of this particular model, and it was later used as a model for other droids?

Me thinks you needs to watch the beginning of Ep1 again, and take special notice to who (or is that "what"?) greets the two jedi when they board the Trade Fed's ship. ;)

Digital_Ronin
04-10-2002, 09:05 AM
easter egg ... well, just makes me think.

They had a 'max' from 'sam and Max' in pretty much every lucasarts game. Was something of an obligation I guess...

There wouldn't happen to be one somewhere in JO?
*errrh*
*grins*
"Rabbit season's open!"
*walks off, starts up JO*

:D

Digital_Ronin
:tied:

D66
04-10-2002, 11:16 AM
BTW The Ewok that got blown apart by the AT-ST and then is found to be dead by his friend..... I laughed so hard I nearly passed out. Anyone agree?

In Rebelion I played empire and built a Deathstar JUST to destroy Endor ;)

Broode
04-10-2002, 11:40 AM
Actually, they stated the there would be no max easter egg in SP... which is a shame. I mean, it's become a tradition now, what reason could LucasArts have for leaving it out?

Darth Koounaar
04-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Unlikely that Max will be appearing in Jedi Outcast as Lucasarts don't have the license to Sam and Max anymore. Although acitvision maybe publishing the next game (see http://www.infinite-machine.com/) Sorry.

As for the Endor thing, a friend of mine found a hilarious scientific essay on the horrors of what the destruction of the second death star would have caused http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html#disaster

Hilarious - Koounaar

Darth Koounaar
04-10-2002, 12:05 PM
In reply to the origin of c-3PO i took this from www.theforce.net

There is one definite point of awkwardness in the continuity surrounding C-3PO. Books and the C-3PO CCG game card published before The Phantom Menace stated that he was manufactured 112 years before A New Hope. Since The Phantom Menace is much more recent than that, these references are disproven unless the droid is less than entirely Anakin Skywalker's creation. Perhaps the chassis and whatever part of the droid contains his sapience were found in a dismembered state, and Anakin carried out a restoration process using other droid parts. The Episode I: Visual Dictionary states that the structural framework was eighty years old during The Phantom Menace. Since the droid is recognised as a distinct model in the later movies, Anakin must have been performing an act of restoration, not complete innovation or invention.

Reflection
04-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Uh? I could've sworn C3P0 said R2D2's name when you first walked up to them???