PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a Star Wars TV series?

StormHammer
10-02-2001, 12:35 AM
Okay, the question is pretty obvious.

I've just read about the new Enterprise pilot costing $16 million. I've also just read about the serial Band Of Brothers (Spielberg/Hanks) costing a total of $120 million.

If budgets of this scale are now being entertained in the production of TV series/serials, there is an argument that a Star Wars TV series with a sufficient budget might make good, profitable sense.

I know I would like to see a live-action Star Wars TV series - especially since I miss B5 and I've been watching the very interesting Farscape.

Do you think it would be a good idea? What would you want to see? Is it ever likely to be made? Who would you pick as a lead?

Please feel free to discuss. :D

Hannibal
10-02-2001, 12:44 AM
I think George Lucas would have to be involved and making sure it wasn't cheesy like some Voyager or some episodes of Deep Space Nine.

BeastMaster
10-02-2001, 01:05 AM
Therein lies the trouble. Lucas would be involved, and the show would reduce to cheeze.

Unless, of course, we could compell Joss Whedon or some of the Buffy/Angel writing staff to come onboard. Or maybe some of the FarScape or Andromeda staff.

What I'd like is a CGI animated series from the producers of Roughnecks: Starship Troopers. You can get incredible FX and visuals with minimal budgets, and you wouldn't need to worry about likenesses.

Mark Hamill doesn't look like Luke Skywalker anymore; Luke (being a Jedi) has aged much slower than Hamill. What Hamill does have is the voice, in fact, he makes most of his living now doing cartoon voice-work.

I'm not advocating a "Luke Skywalker & Friends" series, of course, but with a CGI series you'd at least be able to have occasional cameos by the Heroes of Yavin.

Thing is, you'd have to sell the show as an Adult Animated series, the kind aimed at teenagers and shown in the evenings. If you try to make a Saturday morning type show, you'll have to deal with the censors. (Remember Droids & Ewoks?)

Subject-wise, I'm thinking a Rogue Squadron series. Hey, there's a big 5-year gap built into the continuity between Unions and NJO; you could have "Jedi of the New Republic" stories.

(I recommend Nicholas Brendon as the voice of Kyp Durron. :cool: )

Or maybe even adapt the YJK (and JJK) book series.

<small>Jaina/Zekk! Jaina/Zekk! Jaina/ Zekk!</small> :D

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: BeastMaster ]

JediKnight_114[b]
10-02-2001, 01:24 AM
I have actually thought about this a lot, and have concluded that the only way a SW series would work without being complete crap, would be to base it on Michael A. Stackpole's x-wing series. That way, you have really good stories, enough material for a few seasons at least, space combat that is far superior to Star Trek. (What's more exciting: Watching the 'good guys' rewire a console to narrowly defeat the 'bad guys,' or the fast paced space combat as seen in Return of the Jedi?) Dennis Lawson could probably even reprise his role as Wedge with a bit of makeup work.

But instead of Jedi tales, or and animated series, (yeack) or trying to prolong the life to the Skywalker whiners, make it about something exciting. Like Rogue Squadron. I think that's the only way a series would work. Of course, they'd have to have good actors, otherwise, it's just another action-drama.

But that's my two cents. Judge it as you may.

Gabrobot
10-02-2001, 01:59 AM
I agree with BeastMaster.

StormHammer
10-02-2001, 03:36 PM
I like the idea of a live-action X-Wing series, particularly if it followed the style of the novels, and Corran Horn...

...as long as it was in no danger of turning into a Battlestar Galactica. Also, there have been a few other series with a military bias...Space: Above and Beyond, Star Trek, Buck Rogers (*shiver runs up spine*), the last seasons of B5.

My favourite idea would be a series about the early adventures of Han Solo. Kind of like they did the Young Indiana Jones series. I think there might be a bit more scope for a wider variety of stories and locations...including his rescue of Chewie. He's a lovable rogue with a colourful life, and a series could detail the rise of a legend of the New Republic.

I'd also prefer live-action rather than CGI, simply because a real actor can express a far greater range of emotion than their computer-generated counter-parts, and helps you to care about the characters.

Farscape has so far proven that the formula could potentially work.

Of course, there is always Kyle Katarn to base a series on. ;-)

Kylilin
10-02-2001, 06:15 PM
I think what appeals to people the most about Star Wars are the Jedi Knights, not the space battles (even though they are fantastic). There is no way a Star Wars TV show would be written without the presence of a Jedi as one of the main characters. I don't think anyone but hardcore SW fans will want to see a Rogue Squadron series. Remember people, this has to appeal to mainstream audiences, so why not make a show about the most popular group within Star Wars and probably all of Science Fiction/Fantasy, the Jedi Knights.

BeastMaster
10-02-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer:
<STRONG>...as long as it was in no danger of turning into a Battlestar Galactica.</STRONG>

Hey, I liked Battlestar Galactica.

It was only the second season (Galactica 1980) that sucked.

<STRONG>I'd also prefer live-action rather than CGI, simply because a real actor can express a far greater range of emotion than their computer-generated counter-parts, and helps you to care about the characters.</STRONG>

That has more to do with the writing and the voice-acting than the visuals, IMHO.

Think of the big problem with live-action; all the aliens'll be either people in masks or puppets. You cite FarScape; look at the scenes when Rygel is in his hoverchair. You can almost see the little blue cut'n'paste halo around him.

Even when CGI aliens/effects are introduced into live-action, they usually look out of place. They're a little too shiny and life-like. When the entire scene is CGI, then there's no problem.

CGI (or even simple cell animation) just offers more versatility. Thing is, it has to be really good CGI. That's why I cited Roughnecks; the characters actually have individual hairs, and you can see every little crack and wrinkle in their gear. Beast Machines and the final season of Reboot (not the first) also had awesome CGI --shadows, reflections, sculpted texture mapping, and everything.

StormHammer
10-02-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Kylilin:
<STRONG>I think what appeals to people the most about Star Wars are the Jedi Knights, not the space battles (even though they are fantastic). There is no way a Star Wars TV show would be written without the presence of a Jedi as one of the main characters. I don't think anyone but hardcore SW fans will want to see a Rogue Squadron series. Remember people, this has to appeal to mainstream audiences, so why not make a show about the most popular group within Star Wars and probably all of Science Fiction/Fantasy, the Jedi Knights.</STRONG>

Yes, I agree that Jedi and the use of the Force is very much the backbone of Star Wars, and should feature prominently in a series. However, I don't think I'd like to see a saber battle every week - or the hero(ine) simply using the Force every time to get out of a tight spot.

Also, keep in mind that the X-Wing novels featured Corran Horn...a man who becomes a Jedi, albeit reluctantly.

Originally posted by BeastMaster:
Hey, I liked Battlestar Galactica.

It was only the second season (Galactica 1980) that sucked.

Don't get me wrong - I watched the first season of Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid, and enjoyed it - although in the back of my mind, I felt it was trying too hard to be a Star Wars clone. The problem with it was they kept re-running the same effects and shots, digging up old fossils to play lead roles, and it lost it's edge. I won't even talk about the execrable follow-up.

Originally posted by BeastMaster:
That has more to do with the writing and the voice-acting than the visuals, IMHO.

I agree to an extent - but when you want a character to burst into tears, or fly into a rage, it just comes across looking very corny in CGI.

Think of the big problem with live-action; all the aliens'll be either people in masks or puppets. You cite FarScape; look at the scenes when Rygel is in his hoverchair. You can almost see the little blue cut'n'paste halo around him.

I don't disagree. There are major problems. I think in Farscape they have managed extremely well by using puppets for some of the characters. The prosthetics are also very well done, and I don't see much of a problem with masks if done well. After all, they were used in the cantina scene of the original Star Wars.

In ESB, Yoda was a puppet, and done quite well...especially in terms of facial expression for that time. In ROTJ, Jabba was a pretty complex puppet. If anything, I have to say that I prefer the ROTJ Jabba to his CGI counterparts in the Special Edition and TPM.

Having said all of that, the CGI used in ST:Voyager was quite well handled, I thought - and I would expect a Star Wars series to have similar or larger budgets per episode, and even better CGI.

Even when CGI aliens/effects are introduced into live-action, they usually look out of place. They're a little too shiny and life-like. When the entire scene is CGI, then there's no problem.

Again, I totally agree.

CGI (or even simple cell animation) just offers more versatility. Thing is, it has to be really good CGI.

I agree, but it still has a very long way to go in achieving realism.

That's why I cited Roughnecks; the characters actually have individual hairs, and you can see every little crack and wrinkle in their gear.

I'm sorry to say I haven't seen Roughnecks yet...although I plan to.

The bottom line is, I would not be as interested in seeing an all-CGI Star Wars series, as a live-action series with CGI/Puppet elements that are well-integrated.

But that is purely my preference, and I fully respect yours. ;-)

Sub-Zero
10-05-2001, 02:09 AM
I was thinking that the could turn the X-Wing novels into movies.

JediKnight_114[b]
10-05-2001, 02:51 AM
Well, the problem with turning X-Wing novels into movies is that George Lucas has already said that he won't make any more SW movies after these prequels, which means our only hope to see Wedge and Corran and the rest of the BEST Rogues is probably in the form of a TV series.

My qualms about a Jedi Knight series is that there might not be enough material to keep it good. Unless of course they went back to the days of Jedi vs. Sith, which is the only way they could keep Jedi running along with traditional enemies, therefore keeping it consistently good. I mean what's better, the fights with saber against saber, or the good guys cleaving through stormies or battle droids or whatever villain is in the particular movie.

I still think that a Rogue Squadron show would be the way to go. And I don't really think that the Jedi are entirely the main draw of SW. I mean, in all of the movies made, the acting isn't that great, and the original “A New Hope,” closely resembles any crappy sci-fi movie from back then. What is great and what has the draw for SW, is the story. Just the basic good vs. evil story is so rooted in human thought and feelings that whenever someone hits on it the right way - as GL did - people are drawn to it and want to get involved with it. The X-Wing books practically epitomize that struggle, and manages to have some of that great inner conflict that we see with the Jedi. Also, X-Wing would have constantly changing surroundings so as not to feel repetitious, is very intense, and isn’t just a shoot up the bad guys story. There are politics, scheming, lots of action, strategy, backstabbing, a love story(s), and as I said, inner struggle. For a consistently exciting and interesting story, I think that X-Wing has more potential than Jedi. Still assuming that either will ever come to pass. But that’s what I think, anyway.

StormHammer
10-05-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by JediKnight_114:
Well, the problem with turning X-Wing novels into movies is that George Lucas has already said that he won't make any more SW movies after these prequels, which means our only hope to see Wedge and Corran and the rest of the BEST Rogues is probably in the form of a TV series.

Agreed.

My qualms about a Jedi Knight series is that there might not be enough material to keep it good. Unless of course they went back to the days of Jedi vs. Sith, which is the only way they could keep Jedi running along with traditional enemies, therefore keeping it consistently good.

Jedi vs Sith would be good. However, I think there would be enough material to keep any story interesting.

I mean what's better, the fights with saber against saber, or the good guys cleaving through stormies or battle droids or whatever villain is in the particular movie.

I thought the saber fights were more exciting than the droid-slashing in TPM, though there is probably room for both. ;-)

I don't really think that the Jedi are entirely the main draw of SW.

I agree. But referring to my earlier post, the entire series of Star Wars films are based around the quests of central Jedi characters...hence my inference that the Force and the Jedi are the backbone of Star Wars. But as you point out, there is so much more to the Star Wars universe that Jedi would not have to be the focus of a TV series.

The X-Wing books practically epitomize that struggle, and manages to have some of that great inner conflict that we see with the Jedi. Also, X-Wing would have constantly changing surroundings so as not to feel repetitious, is very intense, and isn’t just a shoot up the bad guys story. There are politics, scheming, lots of action, strategy, backstabbing, a love story(s), and as I said, inner struggle. For a consistently exciting and interesting story, I think that X-Wing has more potential than Jedi.

I think all that you have mentioned there could stand true for any Star Wars TV series, whether based on Rogue Squadron, or Jedi, or Han Solo... It just comes down to the creativeness of the script-writers.

For example, you could have a reluctant Jedi who is trying to come to terms with their link to the Force, who has a love interest and must try to resolve an inner conflict. Should they become a full Jedi, a peacekeeper of the galaxy? Or should they follow their heart? Do they really have a choice?

Of course, perhaps we are ignoring the obvious...perhaps a Star Wars series should be as diverse as the EU, and allow you to follow the adventures of several central characters, including Jedi, X-Wing pilots, smugglers, politicians...especially if these characters grew up together, and each follows a different path.

BeastMaster
10-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Yeah, like the Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or Beyond Belief format, like an anthology.

One cast on one week with a certain story, then another group could do something else next ep. . .

Zell Raider
10-07-2001, 04:52 AM
Sure, I think there should be a Star Wars TV series,
Why Not ?

The only thing I think they should do is use the stroies from the books that are out there already.

Question-- what books would you like to see made it do mini TV movies ?

antilles
10-07-2001, 03:04 PM
The New Jedi Order!
That will be interesting to see it in TV...

Jedi V.S Sith is better too...

oninosensi
10-07-2001, 04:24 PM
Why not follow a rebel cell as they work to over through the empire? Not Han, Luke, and Leia, but a new group of heros, In this case, the "Main Events" of the movies become background dressing.

ESE_Sithlord
10-07-2001, 09:56 PM
No it would ruin the feel unless they kept it interesting. If it did I would want it to be i nthe EU way before Luke or Vader and even Obi Wan and during the times were Yoda was young still.

Kurgan
10-07-2001, 11:15 PM
Anybody remember the "Droids" or "Ewoks" animated serials? Or how about the "Ewok Adventure" tv movies? The "Star Wars Holiday Special"? ; )

It could be good with decent writing and a good budget...

Kurgan

ESE_Sithlord
10-08-2001, 01:00 AM
Yeah I remember hearing about that very weak even for a kids movie.

Crys
10-08-2001, 01:51 AM
Starcruiser...Starcruiser Crash!! :D :D

Gabrobot
10-09-2001, 02:29 AM
YJK.

Worf
10-09-2001, 03:35 PM
What about a mix of the outer limits and the doctor who format?

instead of one episode with a different story and cast each week, they spread each story over 4-6 episodes and then change it to a new story and cast.

So for 6 weeks, we could have a jedi vs sith story, then the next 4 weeks could be rogue squadron, then 4 weeks we could have a story about an imperial who wants to defect to the rebels.

Worf

ESE_Sithlord
10-09-2001, 08:03 PM
Thats really not too bad of an idea very problems though.

How will this link too all the stories? I mean each movie had a link to the other movies of the saga.

If the show or if there is a show in order for the show to have sucuss it will have to link to all the stories of each week.

Thats what Star Wars has done over the years only the show will change SW forever if there is one.

I stand with my reply No I do not think SW would be turned into a Television show. It would just ruin the SW way.

Pedro The Hutt
10-09-2001, 08:34 PM
I agree with Captain Vader :D NO SERIES!

ESE_Sithlord
10-09-2001, 11:41 PM
Your still on that lol ok your new name is Hutman

Pedro The Hutt
10-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Hutman... I LIKE IT! :D THANKS VADER! :D

ESE_Sithlord
10-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Glad you like it lol

ESE_Sithlord
10-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Na what about Pizza the Hut? like that or will you be sued by Mel Brooks? lol