PDA

View Full Version : Racer on Win2K/XP ?

Ben Martin
10-23-2001, 11:39 PM
apologies if this is in the wrong forum. i checked out the 'racer 2' forum but there only appears to be one thread and i'm not sure what's going on over there.

anyway, i just wondered if anyone around here has been able to get 'episode I racer' to run on either windows 2000 or windows xp. on both it crashes (white screen with overlay graphics, e.g. speed) within seconds of starting a race and is totally unplayable.

is there a workaround? or a patch? i e-mailed the tech support at lucasarts about 2 weeks ago but they still haven't responded.

theahnfahn
10-24-2001, 05:14 PM
I'm getting XP with my new system real soon, and I'll be able to test Racer on my system and tell you if it works. I've heard XP isn't a good gaming OS, so that may explain your problems. Do other DirectX games work on your computer? Make sure you have the latest DirectX and also reinstall Racer just to see if that works.

Ben Martin
10-24-2001, 11:03 PM
thanks for the reply, theahnfahn. i really can't work out what the problem is. i didn't have Racer installed on my win2k setup before i upgraded it to XP - it was a clean install after the XP upgrade. i'm using Direct X 8.1 RC2, but the same crash used to occur on (previous installations of) win2k where i was using the final build of Direct X 8.0a. that said, all the other DirectX games i've run on XP have no problems - Max Payne, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for example, more complex than Racer (i would have thought) yet no problems.

.... continued below ....

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Ben Martin ]

Ben Martin
10-24-2001, 11:06 PM
.... is there a word-limit per post here?? anyway ....

as for XP not being a good gaming OS, i don't know. i would've thought that providing you have stable, dedicated XP drivers for all relevant hardware then it should be great. after all, this is the supposed holy grail of the 9x and NT code-bases merging and providing the best of both while at last ditching the worst of both. and regardless, winXP is the next version of win2k which was a great gaming platform (despite microsoft's official line) - many titles (including Quake 3 and that's OpenGL) ran *much* better on my various win2K setups than they ever did on 98.

no, this one's a real mystery and that's probably why the tech support guys at lucasarts are ignoring me! must be something to do with the actual Racer code rather than anything else. unfortunately, that means we're wholly reliant on lucasarts and they seem to be staying quiet.

perhaps the best result overall would be for them to release an updated (i.e. fixed, nothing more) version of Racer with the PC version of Racer Revenge when (if ever) it comes out.