PDA

View Full Version : ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO THIS SPAM

Darth_Lando
03-01-2001, 08:57 PM
Man talk about spam.... but this is FUNNY! lol
http://www.planetstarseige.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf

Kurgan
03-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Gee, I remember when I FIRST heard about this deal. I hadn't ever (still haven't) played Zero Wing. But I *got* the joke that has been going on for years (probably since '97, owing much to emulation of many games that otherwise got overlooked) that a ton of Japanese or other foreign made games sounded positively ridiculous in an english-speaking environment. Come to think of it this doesn't stop with games. I've seen products with hilarous typos and translations that make the products sound totally stupid.

Makes you wonder what these guys used to translate the text, @#$(*& babel fish?!

Then more recently a friend sends me a link to that delightful flash "video" that adds music and goofy singing to the mix. Funny.. though I think it's starting to wear pretty thin....

Kurgan

Jawamaster
03-06-2001, 12:16 AM
That is hillarious! Man, somebody had a lot of time on their hands!

------------------
Jawamaster

wombat3
03-08-2001, 01:10 AM
I don't see what's so funny about it. Could somebody please tell me?

------------------
I wish computer stuff wasn't so expensive.

Jedi SuperBuen
03-08-2001, 02:37 PM
Yeah I didn't really find it all that funny... Kinda long actually...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to Black,
But the memory remains...

Kurgan
03-08-2001, 02:47 PM
Here's your explanation:

A lot of video games (both good and bad) are made by the Japanese.

When making these games, often text will be translated into english for Western audiences, but for one reason or another, what sounded cool or at least normal in Japanese ends up sounding whacky and hilarious in english.

Many of these badly translated games don't get noticed, either because they were corrected in subsequent releases, weren't that good to begin with, or else they were played in a setting where it wasn't as noticable (ie: we play them as kids in arcades when we didn't read as well, or we just ignore the "plot" in these games anyway, or they are read by people who don't speak very good english to begin with).

Now thanks to the magic of emulation, many of these old gems are getting rediscovered, and the internet gaming culture brings their darkest secrets out into the open. ; )

Many games have this problem, especially arcade games. "Zero Wing" is an arcade game that was ported to home systems. The arcade version was just a straight shooter in space, but the Sega Genesis version had a bit of a "story" attached at the beginning, in which a ship's crew is startled by the appearance of some bad guy named "Cats."

http://www.finalburn.com/zw0.gif

They discover that their ship or station is rigged to explode. Cats tells them they are all about to die. So the Captain orders the "Zigs" (the name for their fighters) to deploy immediately to save themselves.

Thus the game begins as your fighter blasts off from the larger station (which blows up). You then face the alien armada or whatever (I haven't played very far in the game yet so I don't know what happens).

The funny thing about Zero Wing's intro "cutscene" is that the english is very bad. The flash animation you see above was mocking it and making it into a music video. This idea has been done before. Take a funny joke from the interent (usually involving making fun of a foreignor who tries to sound cool, but ends up looking ridiculous because they have laughably bad english) and turn it into a music video.

Personally, I think it is hilarious, but I can see that not everybody would get the joke. Though the fact that now every website is talking about it, is making it less funny... the game has been around for years and the joke is at least as old as the game itself. ; )

finalburn.com (http://finalburn.com) This guy's page has some more explanations of the "All Your Base" gag.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited March 08, 2001).]

wombat3
03-08-2001, 09:44 PM
But it's just a picture!!! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/confused.gif

------------------

Jedi SuperBuen
03-08-2001, 09:59 PM
Nah it's a flash sequence!

I get it now, actually what you told was what I thought, therefore I was hoping there was more to the joke than that... That's why I said I didn't get it...

Ha.... Ha Ha!

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,

wombat3
03-09-2001, 01:05 AM
A flash sequence?

------------------

theahnfahn
03-09-2001, 04:49 AM
My whole family loves that joke. I just recently saw the "full" version. The originality and craziness of it all is quite funny, although I can understand how it would get old, especially if you were introduced to the joke a while back. Very very funny for some, mindless nonsense to others.

Kurgan
03-09-2001, 06:28 AM
Oh, there's other jokes in there two, the main one being the pictures it splices in with the text.. those pictures are ones that appear on hundreds of humor sites all over the 'net. Then there's ones from popular media... It's basically a collage of cliche's. ; )

Kurgan

Jedi SuperBuen
03-09-2001, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Wombat3:
A flash sequence?

Yeah, it's like a video. You need Macromedia Flash Player. I'm pretty sure it's a Flash sequence...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,