PDA

View Full Version : Planet of the Apes

Zell Raider
07-29-2001, 05:14 AM
Has anyone here seen this movie ??

I like the story and all but the ending was not so good.

If you have seen it you know what I am talking about. :D

I hear that there might be a Planet of the Apes 2 that will give all the answers to why this one ended the way it did, but no one knows for sure if there will be a 2nd. :rolleyes:

What do you think about the movie and its ending ? Do you think there will be a 2nd ?

Boba Fat
07-29-2001, 09:06 AM
I havent actually seen planet of the apes but my father told me about it like they find out it was earth all along by the piece of the statue of liberty. Oh and i've seen bits of the new one like the monkey ripping the guys mouth open and saying "Is there a soul in there?" and the female one thats ugly saying "It's disgusting the way we treat humans!" but again i havent seen it!
Thanks for replying to my post! :D :eek: :cool:

obi
07-29-2001, 12:02 PM
i went to see it friday, and it was a good movie!(surprisingly)

and the end was so incredably dumb, i could smell sequal all over it.

it was actually kinda SAD when the general ape hit the chimp.....OOPS!!!!!!! :D

darth terrat
07-29-2001, 02:01 PM
They should make one

Tie Guy
07-29-2001, 04:30 PM
Yeah, i was expecting the statue of liberty thing, but it wan't in there. Your dad is telling you about the old one he probably saw when he was a kid.

MadPoster
07-29-2001, 04:55 PM
I have proof the Planet of the Apes exist- my cousin is so hairy, she shaves her body everyday! :p :eek:

pandemonium
07-29-2001, 06:14 PM
Haha... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JediMasterHorn
07-29-2001, 08:14 PM
It was good except for the ending. Wide open for a sequal. There was no character development either.

Zell Raider
07-29-2001, 09:05 PM
I thought where was character development

I mean you know from the 1st time you see the general that he hates humans but instead of not telling you why he does, they give you the answer when he talks to his father.
( I wouldn't say anymore because I don't want to give away the movie ;) )

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]

Boba Rhett
07-30-2001, 07:02 AM
*copied from JKII.net*

An entertaining movie. I enjoyed it right to the end, well at least up until the last 30 seconds. There I was thinking this was a cool movie and then I see the last thirty seconds and am completely confused. It's pretty amazing when something that happens in the last minute messes up the rest of the movie.
I mean, it's alright to leave a little hole at the end of a movie for it to lead into a sequal but this movie left a hole big enough for someone to drive a riding lawn mower through. So if they don't make a sequal, this movie is ruined at the end. If the do make one, however, the movie will be great and will eventually make perfect sence buti'll still feel that I had to wait 2 years and pay for another ticket just to see the ending of this movie.

Dispite it messed up ending, it a good moive and I suggest you check it out and see what you think about the ending.

Rating: If sequal = 8.5, if no sequal = 7.0

darth terrat
07-30-2001, 11:29 AM
Soooo..8.5 ;)

Zell Raider
08-07-2001, 03:22 AM
I saw the old Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston today. Did you know that the old Planet of the Apes has 4 sequals :D :eek:

Total of 5 Ape movies :rolleyes:
------------------
Off this Topic but has anyone seen Men of Honor that was a good movie. :)

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]

BeastMaster
08-07-2001, 09:32 PM
No? Okay then.

Back on topic. <small>Sorry Zell.</small>
;)

I just saw PotA yesterday, and I loved it.

What you have to realize is that it's not meant to be over-analyzed. People are trashing Planet of the Apes for the same reason they trashed Godzilla; if you look at these movies as attempts serious dramatic opus, you will be dissappointed.

C'mon folks, they're Monster Movies, not King Lear! Just shut off the internal critic and enjoy the ride.

That said, I liked it. The makeup was stunning, which is reason enough for accolades in this day of CGI aliens and animatronic dinosaurs. To get something so lifelike from simple facial appliances is a dying art.

BTW, I thought that Helena Bonham Carter's character (the chimp "human rights activist") was actually quite attractive. I mean seriously, did you see those huge dark eyes?

The acting was good, given the formula, and the movie can't be judged on the strengths of the original.

I do, however agree that the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. I mean, I understood the symbolism that the movie was going for (as in the original; the point was to present humans as the savages and the apes [metaphorical personifications of nature] as the truly intelligent), but the final sequence had absolutely no bearing on the rest of the movie.

I mean, leaving "Apeworld," he travelled back, not forward. He should have ended up right back where he started on the Oberon, or at least not too long afterwards. Yet somehow he seems to end up in the future!

Boba Rhett
08-07-2001, 11:03 PM
There's only one thing I have to say about that.

PotA = Awesome

Godzilla = CRAP

Thus concludes this post.

Zell Raider
08-07-2001, 11:44 PM
But I now understand why they ended the new one the way they did.

By: BeastMaster

I mean, leaving "Apeworld," he travelled back, not forward. He should have ended up right back where he started on the Oberon, or at least not too long afterwards. Yet somehow he seems to end up in the future!

Like I said the original had 4 sequals.

In the 3rd movie Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Roddy Mcdowell and Kim Hunter (two apes) go back in time and lead a fight with the humans in the past. :D

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]

cenca
08-20-2001, 01:15 AM
The ending sucked! Okay I don't know about you, but I hate more than one movie!(with the exception of Star Wars!)

Garindan
08-20-2001, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett:
<STRONG>There's only one thing I have to say about that.

PotA = Awesome

Godzilla = CRAP

Thus concludes this post.</STRONG>

I thought Godzilla was cool. It's one of my fav. non star wars movies. :p

my fav. non sw movies are:

Gladiator
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic Park 3 (shut the ************ up about it, it was awesome, i only saw first 40 minutes tho since i'm cool and dloaded it)

I've got some more but can't remember their names! :( i know crotching tiger hidden fool wasn't great tho. It's one of my most hated movies. If i ever go to a movie at the theatre (i didn't see the movie at theatre thank God), i'll remember to bring a gun w/me so i can shoot the sexers right in the privates while they're doing it. and the shoot anybody who tries to stop me.

cenca
08-20-2001, 02:20 PM
UGH! the Lost World was totally crap I mean, talk about sad, stupid, idiotic plot lines! this one, in my view, took the cake!

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Qwi Xux ]

Boba Rhett
08-20-2001, 03:23 PM
JP3 is so bad it's actually sad. Much much worse than The Lost World.

Garindan
08-23-2001, 11:48 AM
everybody has opinions. :D

pandemonium
08-23-2001, 07:38 PM
Well... I thought it was okay... it was just a 'set up' for the 4th one which is gonna probably be up to the standards of the first one (and cost about as much ;))