PDA

View Full Version : Bowing in duels

PsYk0
04-19-2002, 03:18 PM
wtf? It's gay, annoying and makes the game last longer. I find that the temptation of letting my saber make mad love to the other guys' exposed pasty white neck too hard to resist. Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know? Christ, the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that? Screw them. Go ahead and flame away but remember this the next time you bow to someone you don't know....

Join me....I am your daddy!

Foxbatkllr
04-19-2002, 03:24 PM
I agree with you to an extent. I think it is kinda dumb but if that's what everyone is doing on the server, then I will go ahead and bow myself, just because I respect their rules. Otherwise I won't do it. I won't initiate it but I will respect the server's wishes.

tam
04-19-2002, 03:24 PM
argh idiot. we bow to just bow. add some fun to the battle. and already, if u try to slsh at anyone bowing, we can just counter it easily anyways (my little secret). like i bowed to somene, he rolled towards me, when he finished rolling last thing he saw was my uppercut with the light stance :P works all the time on people who try to attack u while bowing :P

Lord_FinnSon
04-19-2002, 03:36 PM
I think it only shows a good sportsmanship to bow before starting a duel. Also, I'm not going to attack, if my opponent hasn't ignited his saber first, because that might mean he still configures his Force powers(if they are enabled of course) or writes something. Just a short preperation time, nothing else.

PsYk0
04-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by tam
argh idiot. we bow to just bow. add some fun to the battle. and already, if u try to slsh at anyone bowing, we can just counter it easily anyways (my little secret). like i bowed to somene, he rolled towards me, when he finished rolling last thing he saw was my uppercut with the light stance :P works all the time on people who try to attack u while bowing :P

sigh, that uppercut is pretty useless against someone who is aware of their own sabers' "sweet spot." Theres a counter for pretty much every move and we can sit here and argue that all day but if you don't know the sweet spot then you might as well be a spinner. FAGETABOUTIT!

PsYk0
04-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon
I think it only shows a good sportsmanship to bow before starting a duel. Also, I'm not going to attack, if my opponent hasn't ignited his saber first, because that might mean he still configures his Force powers(if they are enabled of course) or writes something. Just a short preperation time, nothing else.

Sportsmanship? Whats wrong with gf or gg after a round or the end of the map? Still the same thing.

Oh, if the guy says to hold up, yeah I'll wait for him but if you're not at that keyboard ready to fight when your round is up, too bad. >:)

I just loooove being on the Dark Side! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

D66
04-19-2002, 04:27 PM
If you dont want to bow, that is your choice. I have said repeatidly that people should play the game the way they want.
BUT you ask some intresting questions
Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know?
In my own opinion. Strangers start with %100 of my respect until they do something to loose it. Prehaps such an attitude would help foster good sportsmanship.

the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that?

The larger a game's userbase, The longer it lasts, the healthier it is. Look at Half-Life and look at Tribes 2. Half Life is 4 years old and still (in it's many forms) The most played game on the net. There is CONSTANT innovation in HL with new mods STILL being released today. Total Servers online This moment, 20813. THAT is a healthy user base!
Tribes 2 was released only 1 year ago, It's community constantly bickered and was all-out hostile to newbs. (It was also buggy) Today's server count... 577 Remember that Tribes 2 was supposed to be the revolutionary game to re-invent multiplayer.

You WANT more people playing JediKnight MP. You want to be welcoming and encouraging to the players that just opened the game 10 minutes ago. If they feel welcome, they will stay, If they stay, they will get better, if they get better, they will be more challnging, more challenging players means MORE FUN.... And THAT is what we all want.

Schizophrenic
04-19-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by D66

Tribes 2 was released only 1 year ago, It's community constantly bickered and was all-out hostile to newbs. (It was also buggy) Today's server count... 577 Remember that Tribes 2 was supposed to be the revolutionary game to re-invent multiplayer.

You're forgetting the part about Sierra forcing Dynamix to release Tribes 2 before it was ready, then firing everybody at Dynamix because nobody wanted to buy a buggy game. Tribes 2's failure did not happen because it was a bad game, it happened because nobody gave it a chance.

I miss Dynamix. *sniff*

As for bowing in duels, I don't do it. I also don't rush towards the other guy and try to strike him down while he is bowing. I just pull out my saber and calmly wait for him to come to me.

Usurper
04-19-2002, 06:27 PM
I normally wouldnt post a response to something this arrogant and narrow minded, but what the hell?

I'll keep this short....

Just because someone doesn't play the game and act the way you do, it does not make thier actions "gay".

You are bashing someone for showing respect to you? How backwards is that?

I appreciate your love for the darkside, being malicious can be fun.
But, your lack of respect and backwards logic is a bit disturbing, if not humorous.

Usurper

enDless_Deliriu
04-19-2002, 06:45 PM
if they bow, I'll bow.

If I bow quicker than them, sometimes I'll do the DFA (purposely short range it) and spin so they can't get hurt to see how alert they are.

Nothing wrong with an intentional whiff to put them on their toes right? :)

Course, usually they have all the time they need to bow, as I like to react to what they do more than go out and attack myself.

TCPVIP
04-19-2002, 06:52 PM
We've already discussed this. It is gay. If you wanna bow, go to a sushi bar or karate lessons. Geez...

Kataarn
04-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Just because you don't like to do something, or someone, doesn't make it "gay".

God forbid what would happen if a girl/guy you liked didn't want to go out with you, does that automatically make her/him gay?

Yeesh....

:rolleyes:

Dar
04-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Who are we to say what anyone does in a game is right or wrong?

Also, I have seen players bow in FFA, nutso imho but hey, if they are having fun, then more power to them.

OmegaRad
04-19-2002, 07:02 PM
You dumb mother ****ers, if some1 bows 2 you, it takes like 5 sec, you ****in loser, stop acting like a ****in newbie...

Mark ass trick...

power_ed
04-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by PsYk0

http://1pow.4t.com/jkII/forum/vader3.jpg

HEY, YOU THERE!

Nightmare47
04-19-2002, 07:15 PM
*shrugs* I really dont think that bowing can be considered a good or bad thing. It only takes 1-3 seconds to do, so whats the big deal?

In some FFA servers, pairs will challenge eachother to a duel by walking up to other players & taunting/bowing. This is a pretty good use of bowing, IMO, and is definately a good thing. However, when I'm not on saber only (mostly duel) FFA servers, I dont go out of my way to bown before hacking away at someone with my saber.... :)

Azraelt
04-19-2002, 08:22 PM
I really don't care for bowing, but hell, if you want to, all the best to ya. It doesn't bother me at all.

Demangel
04-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Honestly I try to play along the lines of what the server is doing thus far. If no honor is being shown, I show none, if honor is being shown I show it as well.

The best example of this?

Last night I played duel for the first time, hoestly I have only been playing this game for under a week. and bragging asside, I am really not bad at it, I was first to reach the kill limit on this duel server most of the time. I went with about a 4-1 ratio.

Anyway I was really getting into the honor thing, and good temperment by everyone playing. Nobody was having ego trips, and it was just good clean fun... with light sabers no less. no hard feelings, regardless of who won. Don't get me wrong we had our rivalries, but it was good natured.

then some new guy comes in. I don't know if he was a newbie, or just new to dueling on this server or what. He watched through till it was his turn. I was up still...

I come down the steps in the carbonite chamber, and try to assume a good spot to bow ETC.

But before I do that here comes new guy rolling in saber drawn going for an insta kill DFA.

I quickly roll out of the way, and make a second attempt figuring he will figure it out. Nope.

He charges in spinning like a damn fool. It was over in less than 5 seconds once I drew my saber. I was actually pissed at that point, and shot a few insults at him... as I chopped at his corpse.

The point is, I didn't mind that he wanted to fight right away, thats fine, I can switch gears fast enough, but it isn't pleasant or nice to do to someone.

It takes only a second, and if you don't feel like honoring the poor slob you are about to battle to the death, then simply taunt him, honestly that can be just as cool.

The whole point of bowing, ect is to make sure everyone is ready, who knows what they are doing they might need to configure something.

to me the rule of thumb is:

Is the saber out?

Did he bow yet?

Is he moving? (Ie walking in some way or turning to face me?) If he is standing still I usualy show curtesy and make sure he isn't typing somehting to me.

If I can answer yes to two or more of these logical questions then the answer is, he must be fair game.

Other curtesies also exist, some are kind of expected, some arn't.

In the duel if someone has thier saber sheathed, and are say stuck in a pit on a server that limits the force powers, let them get thier force power back enough to be able to jump again.

If someone strong style DFA you, and kills you while you are bowing, don't feel like you really lost the match, The amount of skill required to pull that kind of move off is newbieish at best. Anyone can pull off a strong style DFA hack on an unmoving off guard foe.

If you use it when they are on guard and moving you will at the very least have beaten him when he is trying.

Thats all I got to say.... Let the flames begin.

PsYk0
04-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by D66

The larger a game's userbase, The longer it lasts, the healthier it is. Look at Half-Life and look at Tribes 2. Half Life is 4 years old and still (in it's many forms) The most played game on the net. There is CONSTANT innovation in HL with new mods STILL being released today. Total Servers online This moment, 20813. THAT is a healthy user base!

You WANT more people playing JediKnight MP. You want to be welcoming and encouraging to the players that just opened the game 10 minutes ago. If they feel welcome, they will stay, If they stay, they will get better, if they get better, they will be more challnging, more challenging players means MORE FUN.... And THAT is what we all want.

Good post D66.

I'll keep that in mind but I think temptation may be too great. I do show respect to other players and friends in the form of running out and nodding (quite a few peeps do it that way on my regular duel servers) and saying GF, GG, etc., but if they start by walking casually to the center and doing some big dramatic taunt and wasting time, then I won't waste any time and startup the beheading party. I dig it!

It's good to be bad.

gonk-raider
04-20-2002, 01:18 AM
I become insulted by bowing. to me it symbolizes that they are taking this alittle too serriously... so thus.. i feel like im killing a retard.. which is a pyschological warfair that I do not wish to have preformed on me : P

gonk-raider
04-20-2002, 01:20 AM
Oh, and asfor a pervious post...errm... a newbie move?? ok, just because he bows doesnt me the other guy has to do crap.. who is that guy to make the rules...F him and his wanting to impose beliefs on others.. f them in their stupid asses

El_Pedro_
04-20-2002, 01:22 AM
Played my first DUEL tonight and you were there nice as pie P - not very good but nice, what's with the I'm the daddy ****?
Reply to my name at hotmail 'cos I doubt I'll be back here - to many P's to decapitate :)

Longshanks
04-20-2002, 03:41 AM
I always bow to my opponent,partly out of respect but mainly because it enhances my enjoyment of the game.Lets face it,we play these games to escape the hassles of real life for a short period and what better way than to get into the role of the character your playing.

I've noticed many peeps doing the same and not just on duel servers either,i quite like it(7-3 infavour of bowing).But on occasion my foe shows me contempt(or knows no better)and tries to attack me while i bow,i don't mind...im aware this may be the case and am always ready to evade their endeavors.Plus it only makes me fight that punk with all the more zest.

In summery...i think bowing is cool and shall continue to show respect to my enemy's.(weather they show it to me or not)

If you go about declaring that people are gay in the real world,just cos you don't agree with what they do(unless of coarse they are actually gay and happen to be doing something of harm to you)...expect to receive a few smacks in the gob for your trouble.

Bacon00
04-20-2002, 03:50 AM
bowing is nerdy. If someone did it to me I'd go slice em as they're bowing.. too nerdy for my likes.

But turning the saber off, taunting, and then walking towards the person is great fun - it's like an extended taunt.

But bowing? pffft. Nerdism.

posternutbag9d9
04-20-2002, 04:27 AM
"honor" and "showing respect"... You guys must be out of your rocker... I don't remember Darth Vader bowing to luke.. it is a fight to the death.. just fight.. because 1 idiot thinks they are cool by bowing, all the fruitcakes come out with their "I am showing honor!" bs... When I am on a duel server, nothing frustrates me more than people delaying the battle by moving their mouse up and down thinking this is the cool and honorable thing to do.. get a life people... other people are waiting for you to finish.. if you want to do this in a ffa duel, go ahead, I won't be in it with you so I couldn't give a crud... You people are sheep... Tell your girlfriends that you are bowing in a videogame to show honor... then realize why you don't HAVE girlfriends...

rionikuanjiru
04-20-2002, 04:43 AM
I believe bowing is nice because it fits with the way most people play Jedi Knight 2.

JK2 is more about panache, flash, style. A lightsaber battle is 10x more interesting than a gunfight, that's why so many people, like myself, prefer using sabers only.

But other games, like Quake 3 for exemple, have none of this ; it doesn't meant he game isn't fun, it just lacks the whole "role-playing aspect", whereas playing Q3 is all about being efficient : killing the most people in the smallest ammount of time.

I most of the time don,t really care if my score is lower in JK2 because this game, for me, is about style and fun. A lightsaber duel against a single, evenly matched opponent is a lot more satisfying for me than getting in a crowd and raping 8 people with a finishing move. If my kill total do get to the top I am hapy because I got there without any tactics I consider cheap (Which may differ amongst people)

For me, bowing is a way to show an honorable player I have duelled repeatedly that I consider him to be good at duelling, fair and skilled. It's a mark of my respect for him. If the player I am fighting is either unskilled or cheap, then I won,t bow to him, and will merely attack.

If you want total efficiency in a game, I think Quake 3 or UT and such are more up your alley, as JK2 has everything to make it flashy and interesting to watch, which is why bowing is getting popular. If you don't like it, then attack me while I bow, don't bow, or ignore my bowing. But don,t go flaming here about "bow is gay... bow is nerdy... bow is why you have no girlfriend.... bow is this and that...."
You can't make EVERYBODY think the same way as you do, deal with it.

panacea
04-20-2002, 05:42 AM
D66. Ace post man. Word.

CM_Third
04-20-2002, 05:53 AM
If you strike someone down when bowing, shows how bad a dueler you must be if your the desperate to kill him. Especially when the act of bowing only takes 2-5 seconds.

enDless_Deliriu
04-20-2002, 06:01 AM
when I bow, I do it back to the person, but the reason I do it isn't honor, but more respect for myself than anything.

if I'm going to duel someone, I want to know they're ready. Bowing, moving, and taunting let me know that they are 1) at the keyboard and 2) ready to go.

I will kill someone lagging out, or who doesn't move or whatever because chances are there are 4 or 5 (or more) people on the server who want to play as well.

But at the beginning of the fight, I want to know that my opponent is ready, and I want them to know that I am ready. Which is why I do the bow/taunt thing (if they don't bow, I don't bow but I do taunt)

To people complaining about how long it takes, please, it takes 3 seconds, maybe 6 tops.

Forum Parrot
04-20-2002, 06:30 AM
wtf? It's gay, annoying and makes the game last longer. I find that the temptation of letting my saber make mad love to the other guys' exposed pasty white neck too hard to resist. Why should I show respect to someone that I don't even know? Christ, the guy could have picked up the game 10 minutes earlier and is playing for the first time. Why the hell should I respect that? Screw them. Go ahead and flame away but remember this the next time you bow to someone you don't know....

h71y6
04-20-2002, 06:36 AM
*yawn*

Forum Parrot
04-20-2002, 06:39 AM
*yawn*

obijonkenobi
04-20-2002, 07:26 AM
The thing is when you bow in a duel the most important thing is to never take your eyes off your enemy - or like you said would end in your head being taken off.

In this game you cant bow and keep your eyes on the enemy so I am with you on this one mate.

If they bow their heads... bow your sabre onto their necks.

Divine Spirit
04-20-2002, 07:30 AM
ive only ever seen 1 person who bowed to me

i fired a rocket at their head

:D :D

Divine Spirit

obijonkenobi
04-20-2002, 07:30 AM
One more thing... Not once did anyone bow in the starwars movies so don't even think bowing is a jedi thing.

L'Equa Sinar
04-20-2002, 07:55 AM
<Opens the gates to the troll pits....>

Personally, i think bowing is nice, its not Strwars-ish, no, but its a nice touch :)

The Truthful Liar
04-20-2002, 08:04 AM
Personally I think that there's absolutely nothing wrong with dueling. Yet I never do it, maybe a "GL" or a quick thrust with my saber notifies that I'm ready. Bowing is more of a... "custom" or showing of courtesy, I'm fine with other people bowing even though I don't do it myself.

obijonkenobi
04-20-2002, 08:50 AM
I personally would twirl my sabre just before dueling. Turning it off then on at a certain timing will make it spin like Obi does in Ep1 but stay ignited without a lenth change in sabre size. It isnt for any reason other then to look good though.

Ttam legacy
04-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Ok so maybe you don't bow to just anyone. But I think the guy/girl that just won 9 duels in a row deserves something. WTF is wrong with bowing? It's just roleplaying to a certain extent. Good god.

InfErnO
04-20-2002, 12:19 PM
lol

obijonkenobi
04-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Ttam legacy
Ok so maybe you don't bow to just anyone. But I think the guy/girl that just won 9 duels in a row deserves something. WTF is wrong with bowing? It's just roleplaying to a certain extent. Good god.

If you want to role play as jedi... Then role play it right, they never bow to each other in the movies. Not once!

Also this game's genre isn't even an RGP... its a first person shooter!

Chewie Bakker
04-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Not once did anyone bow in the starwars movies so don't even think bowing is a jedi thing.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan bowed to the Gungan Council in Episode 1. ;P

:lsduel:

If the other person bows I'll saber off, quickly look down at my feet, and then look up again and saber up (if they bow to me). I won't crouch though. If they're still crouching and looking down like they've discovered a dog-poop that bears a strange resemblance to Elvis, then I'll taunt them.

If that doesn't get them up, nothing wakes a Jedi up quicker than a saber-throw. ;)

:yobi:

Inter
04-20-2002, 07:14 PM
*ffffffttttt* I'll tell you what's goddamn 'G A Y' waiting 30 seconds for someone to type in 'ggood lick' [then] 'I meant goog luck' [then] 'sry - meant good luck'

Or EVEN BLOODY WORSE - some patronizing b'strd typing in 'Are you ready, sonny?' (or words to that effect)

Bowing takes 2 seconds - and to me it means - "I have my force config ok; I don't need to take a p*ss; I've lit my ciggy; ready; willing; able; good luck; all the best; lets cut the bloody typing and get the hell on with the fun stuff..."

You dozy machos who think that it is to do with 'honour and respect'!!??? And as for this goddamn sith "don't mess with me - I'm in character, darling"....why don't you go the whole hog and play with a black motorbike helmet on?? (Sorry that was a joke!)

BUT!! I hate to break it to you - but about the c**p that bowing is to do with 'honour' - 1 word - WRONG!!!

jeez -- go and be a goddamn Klingon in some Star Trek game...

kold
04-21-2002, 12:14 AM
how bout i just send u flowers after i saber your ass :D

obijonkenobi
04-21-2002, 12:27 AM
About the bowing to the Gungans.. I was meaning about bowing just before fighting in sabre combat.

Taicat
04-21-2002, 12:48 AM
Most of the time, I'll give 'em a head-nod, signifying "Good luck, you're gonna need it....";)

Of course, I find myself needing it (luck) more than I'd like...:(

monkey jedi
04-21-2002, 12:57 AM
What I do is bow, turn in the oppisite direction and shake my booty. Cracks me up every time I do it.:D

freemind222
04-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Hey if you bow at me one of two things might happen:

1: Decapitation

2: Anal Rape

take your pick :D :D :D :D :D

PsYk0
04-21-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by El_Pedro_
Played my first DUEL tonight and you were there nice as pie P - not very good but nice, what's with the I'm the daddy ****?
Reply to my name at hotmail 'cos I doubt I'll be back here - to many P's to decapitate :)

That wasn't me because I haven't played since I posted this :( . I usually have my name in red or blue on one of the Darkside saber only servers.

Ebuchednezzar
04-21-2002, 03:38 AM
Granted I play almost exclusively duel matches, leaving me with somewhat of a bias, but here is my opinion nonetheless.

Bowing before dueling is fine, for a plethora of reasons. Firstly, it takes 3 seconds for a long bow. If your day is so busy that 3 seconds are enough to piss you off, you probably shouldn't be playing videogames to begin with. Secondly, bowing is conducive to promoting the chosen character role-playing inherent to this game, or any Star Wars game. Sure, no one bows in the movies, but in the game it is a way of humanizing yourself and your opponent, just like taunting. When someone charges at me blindly or jumps around like an imbecile, two things happen: I feel like I'm playing with a Initiate bot, and then they die. Thirdly, bowing makes others feel respected, whether you actually respect them or not; this will increase the userbase, as D66 pointed out. Finally (this needs to be restated), it takes 3 seconds for a long bow. The only time I start to remember how much time the bow took during a match I'm observing is when the combatants try to impress each other to death with unnecessary Jedi acrobatics and pithy custom taunts.

Like Mr. T, I pity the fool who stops to bow to me during an FFA match, because I'll roll a thermal detonator down their spine.

Pedro The Hutt
04-21-2002, 01:55 PM
And once again I'm left wondering two things.
1) Why are other people's ways of gaming and having fun not appreciated if they're not "mainstream"?
2) Why the hell is the word gay an insult? TELL MEEEEEEE!!!!!

Inter
04-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Q. "Why is GAY an insult??"

Excellent point - maybe the dude who started this thread has a male-orientated inferiority complex - maybe his lightsaber is part of his manhood?

It would also suggested why he is anti-bowing - perhaps it is a reminder of a bad experience whilst bending over one time?

hhmmm - but maybe not.

princessliar
04-21-2002, 06:26 PM
maybe his lightsaber is part of his manhood? Let's hope he doesn't throw it too often then.

panacea
04-21-2002, 06:32 PM
Probably just has an obsession with switching it on and off.

taskym
04-25-2002, 01:16 AM
I can't believe people can get all upset over such a simple thing as bowing! Jeeze, if that's all it takes to piss you off, you must be one sob in real life. It only takes a couple seconds, get over it...

TM

Darth J'ank
04-25-2002, 12:21 PM
I have a solution to everyones problem...

strike the bower down THEN bow to him ;)

sort of like honouring his spirit to stovokor ;) LOL

Darth J'ank

DarthTom
04-27-2002, 01:01 AM
Generally, I respect the rules of the server, both written and unwritten. If they're bowing, I'll bow. if they start goign at it right away, I'll go at it right away. Basically, I strive NOT to be arsehole who type in leet-speak and spam-kills.

If they DFA spam, I'll do my best to purge them from the game as quickly as possible *g*

:duel:

[Dom_Pmd]
04-27-2002, 01:07 AM
In my experiance; the ones that bow before a duel are usually the more skillful players who know the rules of dueling.

AKA

Rules of Engagement.

:jango:

SUPERLEN
04-27-2002, 01:07 PM
I bow in matches just like I bow in martial arts. It's a sign of respect and increases the friendship between players. If someone doesn't bow, no big deal. But don't think that someone is an easy target just because they bow-far from it, I believe. These players are the same ones who show skill and honor each other with excellent moves, not just hacking and slashing.

the 7th Jedi
04-27-2002, 02:07 PM
yup, in duelling servers, i've also noticed that the 'bowing jedis'
are USUALLY (not all, mind you) the skilled ones confident in their moves and strategy....confident enough to take a bow and still know specific tactics that lures rushers into a 'false sense of security' .... ive noticed that some people actually use bowing to lure people into attacking...with a dodge-counter slash sequence ready to execute.

enDless_Deliriu
04-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Obijon,

I agree with you whole heartedly, never in the movies do we see two jedi bow to each other before they fight.

However, never in the movies do we see two jedi have a lightsaber duel.

now for my self Q&A session.

Q: "But enDless, in every movie we see a Lightsaber duel. Vader has three of them, and Darth Maul has two of them"

A: Sorry Timmy, but you are wrong. What we see in the movies are Light Saber fights. There isn't much of a difference between a One on One fight and a duel(visually at least), aside from the fact that one just happens, and the other is usually the result of a challenge, done with rules, or at the very least with people not allowed to interfere.

Q: "But enDless, in a New Hope the Storm Troopers don't interfere with Vader and Obi-wan's lightsaber fight"

A: Right you are, however, they weren't told not to. In the Star Wars universe, it's been mentioned in the book several times that people have a fascination with watching people with lightsabers go at it. Then, there is also the question of Storm Troopers and accuracy. I mean, if you could barely hit the broad-side of a barn, would you fire into a melee engagement where there was a good chance of hitting Darth Vader? A man who kills people for making simple mistakes? As for the other movies. In ESB and RotJ Vader/Emperor send away all people who would interfere with the fight, as they wanted privacy to turn Skywalker. In TPM, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan send Amidala and crew away to finish the mission of capturing the Trade Federation Guy while they dealt with Darth Maul.

Sorry if that came across as rude, it wasn't meant to be (I'm sleepy still :) always am). The point is, we have no evidence as to whether or not jedi saluted/bowed before duelling. All we have is evidence that fighters in our time frame, and in the time frames/eras of where the jedi were based off of, did in fact bow or salute before a fight.

With that in mind. I want a 'Saber Salute' animation so I can "bow" without lowering my eyes.

Diversion
04-27-2002, 06:43 PM
Well regarding respect: I used to play XwA and while I never was in danger of being called the best pilot, I was good enough to give most of the people I met a run for their money. In my squad we had a lot of people with various skills, some worse than me and some better. We respected other squads if they acted nice(in and out of the actual game), skill had nothing to do with it.

We didn't care if someone bought the game ten minutes ago. If he respected the rules, and seemed like a fun person we usually recruited him. It was far easier to train someone and make him a decent to good player than it was to make an ******* with great skills into a nice person.:p

This only matters if you're into the whole squad/clan thing of course, if you're a loner you can do as you like.

And as far as the "Bowing is not a Jedi thing..." goes:

Unlike Q3 and Unreal the character this game encourages a little roleplaying and I see nothing wrong with that, to each his own.
While its called Jedi Knights, I thing fighting style and philosophy are far more related to the samurai than to the european medieval knight. Maybe GL looked that way for inspiration, and if so bowing isn't that far of the mark.