PDA

View Full Version : Contol setup and consistant special saber moves?

SAGOA
04-19-2002, 06:02 PM
I've been using keyboard direction arrows for movement and mouse for look/attack/jump/duel challenge. I've also mapped force abilities to the delete/end/pgdwn...etc keys right above my movement. Is this optimal? I ask because I seem to have a hard time pulling off "special" saber moves, especially the spin. Says to hit right/left + attack (or left/right down + attack) to spin. The only way I can spin is to hold down that direction and keep tapping attack (about the to four times until I spin). Is it supposed to be this inconsistant? It seems like others can do it with one attack and hardly even move from their position before they spin. Am I going about it wrong? Thanks, doods!

Kataarn
04-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Well, here's how I map my buttons, and I have no problems pulling off spins.

Forward - Up Key
Back - Down Key
Strafe Left - Left Key
Strafe Right - Right key
Use Force Power - Delete
Duck - Left Shift
Jump - Keyboard Enter
Use Item - Backslash
Force Absorb - Left Square Bracket
Force Heal - Right Square Bracket (Yes, I play Light)
Attack - Mouse1
Alt. Attack - Mouse2
Cycle Force Power - Wheel

I don't have any problems pulling off spins. Remap Left&Right arrow keys to the appropriate strafes and it should solve your problem (if you're using them to turn, something is REALLY wrong).

:)

SAGOA
04-19-2002, 06:25 PM
hmmmm, my strafes are mapped to left and right? Do press and hold left/right before attack to spin, or kind of both at the same time? I can't pull off the spin in one attack?

Valdarious
04-19-2002, 07:06 PM
The only way I can spin is to hold down that direction and keep tapping attack (about the to four times until I spin).
Your doing it backwards, hold down attack then hit the left or right direction.

SAGOA
04-19-2002, 07:29 PM
OK, like one after another in a real quick sequence?

NeJJa
04-19-2002, 07:33 PM
IMHO, which is very arguable, the numpad is the best solution.
using the standard 8/4/6/2 for arrows, 5 for crouch, mouse1 fire, mouse2 jump, enter fire2, the rest of the keys are assigned to force powers. i have all my guns assigned to the regular arrow keys and the pageup/dpe, home end, insert delete.
it takes getting used to, but it is effective.

LooNBB
04-19-2002, 07:38 PM
I map Push/pull to the mouse wheel... keep them really available.

obijonkenobi
04-20-2002, 12:21 AM
With single player I use the default movement keys except for:

q = pull
e = push
r = use
mwheelup = prev force power scroll
mwheeldown = next force power scroll
mwheelclick (3rd button) = sabre on/off

I dont use weapons at all now - only sabre and force

I personally find the rest of the default keys to be really convenient and have had no reason to change them.

Just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. If they do then that is cool too.

BIGBrother
04-20-2002, 12:30 AM
I'm a WASD user and also have push and pull on q + e with heal on f .

Scroll forces with wheel, activate force with mouse4 and sabre draw/sheath on mouse5.

I honestly can't remember what I use for cycle weapon as I can't remember the last time I used a gun. :D

vr4me
04-20-2002, 12:35 AM
I find the most effective way is to map my movement/strafe stuff to the arrow keys, jump as right shift, crouch as right control, and my forcepowers on the numpad. 1 is push, 2 is pull, 3 is speed, 4 is heal, 5 is grip, 6 is mind trick, 7 is rage, 8 is absorb, 9 is protect, the big 0 key is lightning;)

Zek
04-20-2002, 12:42 AM
Numpad works great for me.

Phydeaux{RoA}
04-20-2002, 02:45 AM
These are my MP keymap settings:
Q, Z=Strafe Left
W=Forward
E, C=Strafe Right
X=Backward
Force powers mapped to A, S, D, 1, 2, 3
Forward Mouse Thumb Button=Force Push (Intellimouse Explorer)
Backward Mouse Thumb Button=Force Pull
Middle Mouse Button=Lightsaber Stance
Weapons mapped to F-keys

TVadney
04-20-2002, 04:14 AM
Forward=Up Arrow
Back=Down Arrow
Left Strafe=Left Arrow
Right Strafe=Right Arrow

Using an Explorer 3 mouse...
Fire=Left Button
Secondary Fire=Wheel Button
Change Weapon=Wheel
Jump=Right Button
Run= Button 4
Duck=Button 5

I "speak" the force commands via GC2. Saying, "pull" is like thinking out loud and is more natural then hunting for a key.

I came across a forcible box and tested pull/push using the keyboard and GC2 and could not see any noticeable difference in response time on my system.

Tom

Teir
04-20-2002, 04:33 AM
w = forward
s = backwards
a = strafe left
d = strafe right
c = Sit ( duck )

mouse1 = attack1
mouse2 = attack2 ( saber throw ect )

space = jump

q = force push
e = force pull
r = mind trick / grip
f = force heal / lightning
g = force drain

1 = absorb
2 = protection ( tho i never have points in it ).

Caps lock = saber style
--
Thats how i roxxor :D

HertogJan
04-20-2002, 07:35 AM
w=forward
s=backward
a=strafe left
d=strafe right
space=jump
ctrl=crouch

q=grip
e=use
r=push (works great against push, better than mouse3 in that situation)
z=prev force power
x=next force power

mousewheelup=push
mousewheeldown=pull
mouse3(=wheel click)=lightning

alt=drain
v=speed
n=bacta canister

c=saber stance
b=taunt :D
F11=screenshot

I use insert, home, pgup etc. keys for things I say a lot, like gg, lol, thx, nice1, may the force be with you... :D

Chewie Bakker
04-20-2002, 02:44 PM
I use the standard WASD format that came with the game, but I bound the taunt command to n.

:yobi:

Demolisher
04-20-2002, 02:53 PM
uparrow - forward
downarrow - backward
rightarrow - straffe right
leftarrow - straffe left
/ - jump
' - crouch
mwheelup and mwheeldown bound to saberattackcycle

All force powers bound to function keys from defaults

I also have two keys bound to switch between the darkkyle skin and shadowtrooper skin for when I join a server with skins

GAT
04-20-2002, 03:06 PM
This is my keyboard layout that I have set and I seem to like to like it really well, but I also have a hard time pulling off the spin moves .... especially in the medium stance... but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Keyboard:
Tab - Datapad
Q - Previous force
W - Forward
E - Next force
R - I can't remember...
T - Previous Item
Y - Next Item
A - Strafe Left
S - Back pedal
D - Strafe Right
F - Use force
G - Select stance
H - Use Item
Shift - Walk
Z - Bacta
C - Crouch
V - Saber on/off
B - Electro-binoculars
Left CTRL - Heal
Left ALT - Speed
Space - Jump

Mouse:
Button 1 - Fire 1
Button 2 - Fire 2
Button 3 (wheel) - press to use; up and down to select weapon (select weapon with number keys as well....)
Button 4 - Push
Button 5 - Pull

I think that's it ... I might have missed a few keys in there somewhere.

GAT

Cmdr. Cracken
04-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Movement/Strafe-W,S,A,D
Absorb-q
Heal-f
Pull-e
Push-r
Speed-z
Protect-C

This my multi player key set up. rulzor

d4rth_b0b4
04-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by NeJJa
IMHO, which is very arguable, the numpad is the best solution.
using the standard 8/4/6/2 for arrows, 5 for crouch, mouse1 fire, mouse2 jump, enter fire2, the rest of the keys are assigned to force powers. i have all my guns assigned to the regular arrow keys and the pageup/dpe, home end, insert delete.
it takes getting used to, but it is effective.

ummmm dont ur wrist hurt with a set up way on the other side of the keyboard? or do u just pull it way over to ur left hand?

Kanubis
04-20-2002, 04:03 PM
ummmm dont ur wrist hurt with a set up way on the other side of the keyboard? or do u just pull it way over to ur left hand?

I use this method and just move the keyboard to the left so its in the right place. I've been using the numpad since fps's went 3D. (going back a bit now...)

dravin1911
04-20-2002, 05:29 PM
I have used the same controls since I used to play Doom2 on BBS with some of my friends...I love this configuration because all the movements are very natural for my left hand. I keep my pointer and middle finger on X and Z, my thumb on Lalt, the 2 gimpy fingers for Lshift, and just the pinky for Lctrl. I may change alt-fire to somewhere else, because firing with your pinky finger is kind of awkward..but I never use alt-fire in fast combat, usually from a distance for things, so it's not that bad.

z = strafe left
x = strafe right
Lalt = back
mouse2 = forward
mouse1 = fire
Lshift = walk
Lctrl = alt-fire
space = jump
c = crouch
q,w,e,a,s,d = force powers

Nightmare47
04-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Mouse 1: Fwd
Mouse 2: Back
Mouse 3 (wheel button): Use force
Mouse Wheel: Cycle through force

W: Fwd
S: Back
A: Strafe L
D: Strafe R
ctrl: Primary Fire
Z: Secondary Fire
X: Jump
C: Crouch
Q & R: Cycle through weapons
F: Use force
E: Cycle through force

I'm considering swapping Cycle Force (E) over to the alt key, or using alt for cycling through weapons and binding Q & R to specific force powers. I might also swap my config over a few keys (instead of centering around WASD it would be at RDFG or TGFH) so I can get at more of the keyboard with my hand, giving me more room to bind individual force powers. I've also gotta figure out what I want to do with my 4th & 5th mouse buttons (thinking about using M4: Primary & M5: Secondary, but I haven't really given it much thought since my current config works pretty well...).

d4rth_b0b4
04-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Kanubis

I use this method and just move the keyboard to the left so its in the right place. I've been using the numpad since fps's went 3D. (going back a bit now...)

i would still be usin arrows if i wasnt a lazy bastige and just move the stupid keyboard over. :P