PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Damaging Floors?

Shalone
04-25-2002, 01:42 AM
I want to make a football sized pool of lava, that kills you instantly if you touch it.. how do I do it?
Also Can you make lava eruptions

Infinity
04-25-2002, 01:57 AM
http://planetquake.com/bubba/liquid1.html

too lazy to write it all out.
(by the way, it's a q3 tutorial, but I think it still applies)

I'd be carefull though, a futbull sized liquid brush might cause some serious lag. It's complicated for the engine to calculate.

Note: the lava textures are in the mine level dir.

Shalone
04-25-2002, 01:59 AM
I was taking it for granted, I thought it was like Duke where if you put a lava skin down, it'd automatically do damage

Shalone
04-25-2002, 02:01 AM
I don't even want it to be liquid, I just want it to be damaging/instant death floor tile, the whole idea of the map is a 20sq ft arena in the center of a danger area, so if you dual or fight on the arena, and get knocked out, it's ring out and instant death

Cmdr. Antilles
04-25-2002, 02:04 AM
Lava DOES automatically hurt you.

But if you just want a floor to hurt someone, make a brush that's the extent of the 'damaging' area, then make it into a trigger_hurt.

Check the entity info (press 'N') on that for more info on how to change it's settings. But that should help ya. ;)

Shalone
04-25-2002, 02:11 AM
thanx, now is their anyway to animate the texture? and is value how much damage it does?

Cmdr. Antilles
04-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Yeah, you can change the ammount of damage.

And I'm not sure what you mean by animated texture... Do you want lava, or just a floor that hurts you? In my example, the trigger_hurt should have a 'system/trigger' texture applied to it, so it shows up invisible.

Shalone
04-25-2002, 02:15 AM
I want the floor to hurt you, but make the tecture move.. nm..
how do you change damage?
Right now it's doing 1pt of damage a second, but even on the floating platforms.

Cmdr. Antilles
04-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Did you read the entity info:

I quote:

Any entity that touches this will be hurt.

It does dmg points of damage each server frame

Targeting the trigger will toggle its on / off state.

SILENT supresses playing the sound

SLOW changes the damage rate to once per second

NO_PROTECTION *nothing* stops the damage

"dmg" default 5 (whole numbers only)

If dmg is set to -1 this brush will use the fade-kill method

So, if you want it to instantly kill the player, you have to add a key 'dmg' and value '-1'

To do that, type 'dmg' into the box labeled 'key'
and '-1' into the 'value' box, and press enter. If you want it to hurt you, but not instantly kill you, give it a key 'dmg' and a value that is something higher than 5.

And shaders are scripts that control what a texture looks like.

It's a big topic I don't have time to explain, but here's a quake3 tut on shaders that should help you:

http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/

Shalone
04-25-2002, 02:35 AM
Ok, so why is it still damahging me when standing on the floating platforms above it?
NM no protection pretty much means it'll hurt everywhere.

UniKorn
04-25-2002, 06:28 AM
Your damage brush is probably too high.