PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a Great Movie?

Scepter
02-07-2001, 09:08 PM
Check out Left Behind. Just came out. Awesome movie. Everyone should see it. Go to www.leftbehindthemovie.com (http://www.leftbehindthemovie.com) for details. I recommend it.

Master Scepter

------------------
Jedi Master Scepter - The Other Who Brings Balance to the Force.

Boba Rhett
02-07-2001, 10:09 PM
The movie looks cool. Is it released everywere? Would you mind writing a brief review for us?

Pootie_Fett
02-07-2001, 11:16 PM
AHHHHHHHHH I hate that movie!!!! No offense to you guys, lol. UGLY special effects, http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif. Good story, woohoo. Jesus coming back is about as good as it gets.

Kurgan
02-07-2001, 11:19 PM
I've read mixed reviews on it. Some call it trash, others call it great (mainly it appears because they "agree" with its message philosophically).

I know the book has been hailed by many and is very popular (I have not read it myself). From what I gather, it's about the popular evangelical Protestant conception of the "End of the World" (pre-tribulation Rapture, end-times, etc) and most doomesday movies are popular in any case (End of Days, Seventh Seal, Armaggedon, The Stand, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strangelove, Failsafe, Terminator 1-2, Omen series, etc)

Many of the reviews I read off of IMDB claimed that "the book was better." But judge for yourself, I don't know.

I have seen it in the stores on DVD already (so it went to video pretty fast apparently).
Isn't that the guy from "Growing Pains" on the cover? (*shudder*)

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited February 07, 2001).]

Jawamaster
02-08-2001, 12:24 AM
I've heard of that movie, is it good? And yes, Pootie_Fett, I know you hate it.

------------------
Jawamaster

Brian29
02-08-2001, 09:00 AM
It looks like a religious brainwash propoganda movie to me!! LOL If you are looking for a good spiritual uplifting feel good movie, I recommend you rent DOGMA!! LMAO Sorry I couldn't resist!

Brian

Jedi SuperBuen
02-08-2001, 01:00 PM
Dogma was good all the way till the end... (did me and Brian29 just agree on something?!)

Oh and The Stand ROCKS!

I dunno about all this other stuff, hehehe

------------------
You can do it your own way
Just as long as it's done just how I say...

Kurgan
02-08-2001, 03:39 PM
I'd say "The Stand" is probably my fav "end of the world" flick, though I usually don't think of the Terminator films (however they are all about "Judgement Day"). The makeup effects are cheesy, but the story and characters were great.

Well someone somewhere can consider any film that features religion as propaganda. Heck, how many movies out there DON'T push some philosophy, morality, or politics at you? Everybody's got a story to tell and a point to make. If it entertains, I figure I don't have to agree with the producer/directors on everything (or anything).

Hey, if you want to see an example of propaganda, watch "Fight Club." ; )
(just being a Devil's Advocate...)

Still, just reading the comments in "Left Behind" I get the impression that many folks who didn't like the movie often didn't because they felt they were being preached at, and those who did like it often did so because they were getting preached to (as in "preaching to the choir").

That is not to say some liked/disliked it for other reasons, but those stood out from the rest.

I'd have to see it first to know what I think of it personally though...

Kurgan

Jedi SuperBuen
02-09-2001, 01:03 PM
What's wrong with Fight Club? I though it was pretty good...

If you though the Stand was good as a movie, you should read the book... It's just EXCELLENT!!! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif

------------------

Garindan
02-09-2001, 03:43 PM
is the movie like Omega Code? i thought that was a pretty cool movie.

Darth_Lando
02-09-2001, 04:20 PM
I have heard mixed reviews of Left Behind myself.

The one I trusted the most (as in the opinion of that person) said that the movie was worth checking out. It does have some really bad acting at times and they play some really cheesy Christian songs during some dramatic moments of the film but it also has some good moments too. I hear the book is a lot better but the movie, though it leaves a lot to be desired, is decent. I will most likely go see it.

Kurgan
02-09-2001, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I think in most cases the books are better...

Hey, I enjoyed 'Fight Club' as well, but I didn't have to accept its philosophical message. That was my whole point.

Kurgan

Jawamaster
02-09-2001, 11:18 PM
Who wrote the book? I am really into reading, and could use a change in styles of books. (All I've been reading lately is Brian Jacques books and Star Wars!)

------------------
Jawamaster

oninosensi
02-10-2001, 12:48 AM
You want something different? Try Tad Williams, Robert Jordan, William Gibson, KW Jeter's book Noir, Simon R. Green, and Dan Simmons' books Endymion and The Rise of Endymion.

All execlent books and authors.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence

paulbarnard
02-10-2001, 04:06 AM
Nope. I watch what I watch, read what I read and retain all the information. No need to fill my head with more useless crap.

Have enough biochem, genetics, chemistry and physics to last a lifetime of Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galatica technical briefings that I'd rather go to.

Boba Rhett
02-10-2001, 05:51 AM
That's nice....

------------------
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand

Jawamaster
02-10-2001, 03:26 PM
What type of books are they and what are they about?

------------------
Jawamaster

Jedi SuperBuen
02-11-2001, 08:08 PM
Jawamaster: The Stand is by Stephen King. He's truly excellent and I've read like 98% of his books! You should go to either the library or a used book store and check out some of his work!

My favs: The Stand, Pet Sematary, Rose Madder, all of the Dark Tower series...

Oh and Jawa these are so called horror books and can get pretty gruesome so be sure you're into that kind of stuff

------------------

Garindan
02-11-2001, 08:57 PM
The Stand, i remember that movie on sci-fi. That's pretty freaky! hmm...you could try reading an encyclopedia or 10, they are pretty addictive.

paulbarnard
02-12-2001, 05:36 PM
I remember The Stand when it debuted on ABC as a mini-series. I'm old.

oninosensi
02-13-2001, 01:10 AM
What I listed is both sci-fi and fantisy. As for what they are about, go grab them and find out.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence

Jedi SuperBuen
02-13-2001, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by paulbarnard:
I remember The Stand when it debuted on ABC as a mini-series. I'm old.

I know I saw it too when it came out... Believe me I was thrilled when I heard it had come out on VHS... I ran to the store!

------------------

Kurgan
02-14-2001, 01:03 AM
Hey, I was reading up on a related religious topic (end of the world type stuff)<a href="http://www.catholic.com/answers/tracts/premid.htm">here</a> and <a href="http://www.religioustolerance.org/millenni.htm">here</a>.

Kurgan

Darth Crater
02-14-2001, 03:36 AM
Jawamaster--
The Left Behind series is by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. Personally, I haven't read it, but my brother just got the first book in the trilogy. My friends all really love the series. I flipped through my brothers and it looks pretty good; lots of drama, adventure, etc. I really don't know how Biblically accurate they are, but once I've read them I can give a certified opinion. My uncertified opinion is, check out the first one and see if you like it.

Scepter
02-14-2001, 10:38 PM
Sorry that I took so long to respond. The movie is about the second coming of Christ. Beside that, a rich company having nothing to do with the coming, is attempting to control the world. He has plans to make all of the worlds money into the same cerency (sorry can't spell). To his amazement, the world goes crazy before he has time to make it crazy. Of cource, this is because the believers and the childred were taken with Jesus. They are glad to see that there plan is working great. They were proud saying, "You can't wait for something, you must rip open the door." Of cource, they were idiots. Movies Great it is a must see movie. You should see it because of its truth. It is true, the believers like the movie, usually the non-believers hate it, or they change how they live and become believers and followers. Yes, I am a follower, a true Jedi. Anyway, must see. Is that a good enough over-view? If you want more I will say, but I'd rather not ruin it. Get more at: www.leftbehindthemovie.com (http://www.leftbehindthemovie.com)

Jedi Master Scepter - Light Catholic/Jedi Master

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scepter (edited February 14, 2001).]

Scepter
02-14-2001, 10:42 PM
r Originally posted by Brian29:
It looks like a religious brainwash propoganda movie to me!! LOL If you are looking for a good spiritual uplifting feel good movie, I recommend you rent DOGMA!! LMAO Sorry I couldn't resist!

Brian

It's definitly not brainwash. You'll probably be left behind when it happens. Obviously you don't believe. That will be your undoing. I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong. It will happen and you won't be prepared. I suggest you get interested fast.

------------------

Kurgan
02-15-2001, 03:02 AM
Scepter (and anyone else who may feel like responding like he just did), if you read the links I posted, you'll see that not everyone (not even every believing Christian) accepts the 'Rapture' (or parousia) as it is (allegedly) portrayed in "Left Behind" (book or movie).

Also, who are you to say someone will be "left behind" (I take it to mean you think they will be not saved, ie: damned)?

Isn't it only God who is supposed to judge?

If you want to get into a religious debate, fine, let me state my views:

Upon careful study and examination of the materials, I identify most with an Amillenialist position.

I find the idea of the end of the world fascinating, and fun like many people, but will it happen literally as many people imagine? Probably not. Does the Bible positively agree with the idea of the pre-tribulation rapture of born-again Christians into the sky? I don't think it does.

But do I presume to judge those who believe differently than I do about God? No. I know what I believe, and it isn't up to me to decide if they are going to heaven or hell.

I may feel sorry for people who I think are wrong and point out where we differ, but I'm not going to pretend I know somebody's eternal destination, or their innermost thoughts and relations with their Creator and conscience.

In my reading of the Bible, if nothing else, I see the "rapture" or rather the resurrection, happening after the tribulation, not before, and taking not merely born-again Christians, but all those who love and serve God (the saints, the elect, whatever you want to call them). I find it hard to believe that God would spare the people of faith in these last days, when he did not spare his people, nor even his own son from persecution in the millenia of the rest of history up to that point.

I have not seen the movie or read the book ("Left Behind") yet. I am merely reacting based on what I have read ABOUT it. Until I actually see it, I cannot give a fully informed view on it over someone who has.

What I was saying before was that some people liked it, some didn't, and many seemed to base their opinion on whether or not it validated their own religious beliefs. As a movie, I think it is fair to judge it on its own merits (like my example with Fight Club). You can admit a piece is good art, even if its political or moral message is not one you personally subscribe to.

By the same token, you can be a Christian and not like it as a movie. You can even agree with its message, and still criticize it for whatever faults you see it having.

My opinions, feel free to disagree, but remember the golden rule. ; )

Kurgan

JediMasterHorn
02-15-2001, 03:36 AM
That'll preach Kurgan! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif
Just to add a bit to what was already said, I am currently going to school as a Pastoral Ministries Major, and will be going into the ministry. In Personal Evangelism, the first thing you learn is to NOT say things as you had said them in the last post. You wonder why people dont respond well to Christians when they share their faith. The reason is half the time, Christians who dont know any better shout Fire and Damnation at them, thinking it will get them to change their minds, when it won't. All it does is turn them off to what you, and every other Christian has to say. Anyway, Kurgan was right on the mark with what he said, so I won't repeat it. Just thought I would add that bit. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gifb

------------------
http://jedihorn2.homestead.com/files/pureandsimple.gif
Rebel Dream (http://www.rebeldream.swsites.net)

Scepter
02-15-2001, 11:34 PM
Kurgan, I believe that you took my reply in a way that I didn't expect. Yes, I must admit that I did write a little to rough on my opinions. I just thought that saying that "Left Behind" was a load of brainwash was quite disturbing. First off, whatever religion you are, it isn't brainwash. For a Jew, it would be educational for that person to see another religion. I mean, come on, you learn that in school.

I am not judging anyone. It may have looked that way, but that's not what I meant. You must understand, I got agitated when he put such a bad response in the forum. I completely disagree. I'm sure you can understand this. Whatever religion, the movie is certainly not brainwash.

You can be sure that I don't want to be mean. Sorry about the outburst. Kurgan, I do believe that before you preach, you see the movie. Watch it carefully and try to understand.

Scepter

------------------

JediMasterHorn
02-16-2001, 05:52 AM
"Sorry about the outburst. Kurgan, I do believe that before you preach, you see the movie. Watch it carefully and try to understand."

I dont think that what Kurgan was commenting on had much to do with the movie, but with your responses afterward. I understand how you feel, but you can't let your emotions dictate how you react. When you react emotionally, like you did, it sometimes comes off in ways that you didn't intend, or you say things you didn't mean. When talking about religion, peoples reactions to what you say are takin that much more seriously and personally. I understand that you felt srongly about the movie, and I can see why. However, all but damning the guy to Hell isn't going to exactly change his opinion about the movie or Christianity in a positive way. You know what I mean?

------------------
http://jedihorn2.homestead.com/files/pureandsimple.gif
Rebel Dream (http://www.rebeldream.swsites.net)

[This message has been edited by JediMasterHorn (edited February 16, 2001).]

Jedi SuperBuen
02-16-2001, 11:30 AM
I don't know why we are talking about Religion on here anyways. Everyone has different opinions on things and Religion is something a lot of people hold at heart. It's hard to argue with someone's faith or beliefs because yours are different or conflict.

I don't think this is a place to argue about beliefs and create rifts between us.

Religion is something one finds by him or her self. No ammount of text on here I think is safe to say will "convert" anyone or make them change their beliefs, right?

So let's all drop it and just believe in The Force http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif

P.S.: I'm all about free speech and opinions, but when it comes to religion & politics... well people just end up fighting/arguing, as we can see is starting to happen right now.

------------------

Scepter
02-16-2001, 12:20 PM
It isn't like I sent the guy to hell. Lay off some. I don't think he took it that way. I wanted to make a point, but I agree with Superbuen. Religion leads to arguments that lead to war. Of course, I do not believe that we are even close to anything like that. I live the way I choose and the same to everyone else. However, it is ok to persuade someone. Not in a bad way, I mean. Anyway, the movie is good and has what I believe to be true story. And yes, it is staed in the Bible that this will happen. If you really want the verses, I will look them up.

------------------

Kurgan
02-16-2001, 03:03 PM
Scepter, my comments had more to do with your post(s) than with the movie. I never told anyone not to see the movie, nor that it was not any good.

I would hope that a person's religion would not be based on a single movie, and that if somebody insulted that movie (even honestly criticized it) you would not take it as an attack on your personal faith.

That is all that I meant by that. I've heard people say all kinds of nasty stuff in regard to certain flicks (which I think is quite odd). Such as, "You're not a true believer unless you like X" or "If you liked X, you're not a true believer."

Not kidding here.

If we want to discuss religion or the bible, that's another matter entirely. I was addressing what I saw as you saying that liking or disliking the movie was a matter of faith. While for some this may be the case, I was trying to point out that a more balanced view would be to judge it on its merits as a film (good or bad).

If you like I could also dig up information to support my views on Revelation (maybe for another topic). ; )

And yes, according to the official site, the movie is meant as a tool for evangelization, but that fact alone doesn't mean a whole lot. Most movies's stated purpose is to entertain (a great way to avoid controversy, that). However, all sorts of films have the opinions, feelings, socio-political/religious agendas of the filmmakers in them, whether overtly or not.

The point is that just because you see a film and enjoy seeing it, does not mean you have to accept the beliefs or opinions it promotes whole-hog. And by the same token, you can hate a film as a film, but still agree with its message.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited February 16, 2001).]

Scepter
02-16-2001, 09:52 PM
Oh. Thank you Kurgan.

Actually, just to let you know, I am in an organization called FCA or Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I saw the movie before it came out. On the tape was a mission that the FCA was supposed to do. I was to spread word of the movie and convince people to see it. No, it wouldn't be logical or right for me to get mad at someone for disliking the movie. However, it isn't right to judge something before you've heard and seen everything.

Scepter

------------------

paulbarnard
02-17-2001, 02:51 AM
This reminds me of my philosphy and theology courses at Creighton.

Qui-Wan Kenn
02-21-2001, 03:33 AM
I have read the Book and let me just say the movie is great but the book is nuch better http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif. I say everyone no matter what religon you are should see the movie and then read the book. It will change your mind IF you are humble and have a open heart. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif

------------------
this has been another post by: Qui-Wan Kenn

Kurgan
02-21-2001, 04:18 AM
However, it isn't right to judge something before you've heard and seen everything.

Exactly, which is why I have NOT judged the movie "Left Behind." This is also why I have not judged you either. I have only pointed out problems I have with various attitudes toward movies, religion, the end times, etc.

I don't know you Scepter, and that's why I can't say what you think, I can only comment on what you've told me. ; )

I plan on seeing the movie sometime and when I do, if I feel like it, I'll share my experience with you all. ; )

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited February 21, 2001).]

paulbarnard
02-21-2001, 04:58 PM
All Movies but Star Wars Suck!!!

Garindan
02-21-2001, 05:49 PM
i sorta agree with that paul. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif

Boba Rhett
02-21-2001, 07:16 PM
Why does everyone always say the book is better? You know why I like wathching the movie version? Because there's no reading.

------------------
I live here ya know.

Jedi SuperBuen
02-22-2001, 01:40 AM
Boba: Because nothing can even come close to comparing to your imagination.

pb: Star Wars is awesome and my favorites but I can think of a few excellent movies that really don't suck (ie: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, etc)

------------------

Boba Rhett
02-22-2001, 02:53 AM
Because there's no reading http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif

------------------
I live here ya know.

paulbarnard
02-22-2001, 03:58 AM
No lightsabers, no Jedi, no real cool explosions. Too Much talking. Those movies suck.

Brian29
02-22-2001, 11:25 AM
Well sorry I didnt mean to start a big religious battle here!!

http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif

I was just stating my opinions from what I read in the first post and to me the post sounded like a Propoganda post, sorry if I took it the wrong way.

But now let me say this...

How dare you attack me for my personal beliefs when you dont even know what they are!!

Who made you god?? What makes your god better than others??

If you honestly believe that the Christian (God) belief is the only true belief out there and those that dont abide by it are going to purgatory?? Then you obviously haven't learned one thing from the scriptures!!

But then come to think of it, if you take anything seriously from any sort of a preist that takes money/collections from the poverty stricken poor so he/she can live the high life and buy that big brand new house and the shiny new Lexus with the money he just took and feel no guilt, then who knows what you are capable of believing!!

Which brings me to my next question???

If you are so into your faith and the whole "Christian way"

What in the heck are you doing playing Star Wars games????

Dont you find that a little bit contradictive considering that the majority of all Star Wars games are violent in nature????

I mean I could be wrong but didnt it say in the holy scriptures

Thou shall not kill

Thou shall do unto others as thou would do unto oneself

Thou shall not steal

I think that each Star Wars game I have ever played involved at least one breaking of the ten commandments (Okay except for maybe covetting thy neighbour and committing adultry but give the game developers some time LMAO)

Also I find this to be even more contradictive in nature especially when considering that the PTA are the ones that are trying to ban violent video games all together, yet openly here in this forum there is a person that follows the same "TRUE" Christian beliefs as of those of the PTA, and has openly admitted to playing those exact same types of games that the PTA are trying to ban!! Why else would he be here??

Brian

Jedi SuperBuen
02-22-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by paulbarnard:
No lightsabers, no Jedi, no real cool explosions. Too Much talking. Those movies suck.

Actually thoes movie rule! And I don't even have to give you reasons because they do lalalalala. Actually if you want to check out Jedis, sabers & cool explosions in Pulp Fiction check out the site PulpPhantom.com , it's an amalgam of SW & PF... it's actually pretty funny...

------------------

Kurgan
02-23-2001, 01:29 AM
If you honestly believe that the Christian (God) belief is the only true belief out there and those that dont abide by it are going to purgatory?? Then you obviously haven't learned one thing from the scriptures!!

But then come to think of it, if you take anything seriously from any sort of a preist that takes money/collections from the poverty stricken poor so he/she can live the high life and buy that big brand new house and the shiny new Lexus with the money he just took and feel no guilt, then who knows what you are capable of believing!!

Which brings me to my next question???

If you are so into your faith and the whole "Christian way"

What in the heck are you doing playing Star Wars games????

Just watch out for "Mister Straw-Man" he can ruin many a good debate.. ; p

Kurgan

paulbarnard
02-23-2001, 03:03 AM
That may be true, but I stand by my original statement.