PDA

View Full Version : Right light

Raktan
04-27-2002, 04:54 AM
I have big problems to set the light right.
Some places are very dark and other are white and you cant see the texture anymore.

How can i set a light that lights the map overall the same way.
Or is there a trick that would helps me.

Excuse english
THX FOR HELP
:p

FEXX
04-27-2002, 05:21 AM
"Ambient Light
Ambient light is a property of the mapís worldspawn entity. By assigning a number value to the ambient key, the overall lighting level of the map is raised. This has the tendency to flatten the difference between light and shadow." - this text is from the Q3Radiant manual. The concept is similar in JK2Radiant.

So I assume you'd go to your map, press 'N' and then scroll down to the Entity 'worldspawn', add it and set/or add the Key "ambient" and a value. I am not sure what the values all do yet, but I assume 0-255 is okay (likely).

Tantalus
04-27-2002, 07:14 AM
If you're talking about light intensity, you can go into the thousands, though given the number of nice shiny metal and glass textures in JO, you're likely to get a map that glows everywhere. So, yes, ambient shouldn't be set too high, and the 0-255 range should work well.

FEXX
04-27-2002, 07:40 AM
Say, how about the 'color' Key for a light entity. I wish to experiment with other light colors - from the variations available.

But I am not sure yet what the value(s) 'color' understands.

Obi-Cyph
04-27-2002, 08:07 AM
http://www.qeradiant.com

thats got some good stuff on some of things, like lights, ambient stuff, etc :)

Tarison
04-27-2002, 08:37 AM
easiest way to pick a colour is to press 'k', which brings up the colour selection for an entity. Colors seem to be of the format R G B, where each is a decimal value between 0 and 1. E.G.

1 1 1 --> White

1 0 0 --> Bright Red

0.75 1 0.25 -> Some colour. You know how it works.

I think whatever it is, has to be in the _color attribute, not color. I might be wrong on this, though :jawa

With ambient lighting, the engine seems to turn values in the thousands into neglible amounts of light, at least in my experience. Between 0-255 (as other people have said), is probably your best bet.

FEXX
04-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Ah thanks. I found that out too when I saw a red light on the kenjin_post map with the value 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 for yes, '_color'. I did not know of the .75 or .25 values, thanks.

But I have noticed the generator on the level you can play (kenjin_post) has this appealing electrical effect initially. The very nice purple lightning that dances. After finding the generator on the map I noticed some small cubes around it. They had some values like 'elec7' and 'elec8'. Perhaps those cubes orchestrate lightning somehow.