PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Sabers Ruin the game!

YoDa2k2
04-27-2002, 06:52 PM
ok hear goes... When i was waiting for JO to come out i heard that the lightsaber combat system was going to be AMAZEING! i was totaly siked! when i got it and played single player the wait was worth it! one epic lightsaber duel after another.... but when i started MP and played aganst a few bots i wasnt too happy.. Most of the bots OVERLY use heavy saber combat, i was like ok fine i would lightsaber duel with bots anymore.. so i go on MP with other people SAME THING people are OVERLY useing heavy sabers! with heavy sabers u can kill some one with 1 or 2 hits! then JO changes from a game of haveing to use l33t tactics to win to a game where u just have to use heavy saber swings aganst eachother and who ever is lucky doesnt get hit and they win so its a game of LUCK on MP and i hate useing heavy sabers i think lightsaber duels should be fast pase and exiteing not about slow powerfull swings where luck really takes over! i think raven should tone down heavy saber attacks... or remove it from the game all together! then JO will be a game thats all about cool and fun fast pace duels! Heavy sabers just pisses the hell outa me! i relly hate it.. Please post ur agreements/disagreements hear.. and can some one tell me an effective way to counter heavy sabers WITH OUT going heavy saber myself? thanks...

Vestril
04-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Timing, you just have to be fast, go in and out and hit them a lot. If you're playing on a full force server that doesn't work so well though, thanks to the miracle of heal, at that point heavy is something of a must. All part of why I duel in NF servers, I can have FUN playing medium style and clashing sabers and whatnot. I guess I play mainly for the swordfighting and that is the best place to do it.

Phoenixhunter
04-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Maybe you neglected to read the manual but the heavy stance is the primary fighting style for dueling. There are times however when I've seen people using medium stance absolutely tearing people apart.

One way to look at it is like this, the various stages of being a real Jedi (in JO):

1. You're new, you're getting your ass whooped in duals and you don't complain because you know you're new.

2. You've started playing and you notice that some players are only using heavy stance, you get whooped most of the time by them and so you complain about it.

3. You start watching the *real* players deal the smackdown and you notice they don't use heavy stance all the time, or at least are not entirely dependent on using it. You proceed to answer the posts on the boards by people complaining about heavy stance ;)

YoDa2k2
04-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Why the hell did raven make the mastake to make heavy stance the primary dueling stance? in the moves they use more med stance! I hate heavy stance its soooooo slow!

NyghtWalker
04-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Yes alot of people do over use heavy stance, and I'am guessing for the primary reason that IT WORKS. And the reason they continue to do so is because apparently while everyone is whinning about it no one is bothering to read the dozens of posts about how to counter it.

Eventually though people will stop using it, all it takes is a few times of getting the crap kicked outa em while they're trying to jump through the air at ya. Case in point, one guy comes at me in a CTF using heavy (I had their flag) and he kills me, mainly because I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention and wasnt ready for it. So I respawn, go get their flag again and here comes the same guy flying through the air at me. I politely force push him to the ground and slice him up with two medium strikes before he can get to his feet. As I'am making my way back toward my team's flag point who do I see coming at me again? You guessed it, the same guy and he's still trying to DFA me. I swift kick to the face sends him spiraling to his death. I make it back to our flag (yay :) ) and score. I look around to see if anyone's trying to make off with our flag when I see Mr. Heavy coming toward me again, a bit more warily this time though yet still using the heavy stance. A brief clash of sabers, and he decides it's time to fly through the air again..and who was I to argue? I politely force pulled him through the air as I sidestepped and watching him plummet to the black depths again. The game continued and I saw the guy a few more times but it seems he figured the medium or fast stances would be more appropriate (and he actually got me again one time using medium).

The point of this story is dont whine about the overuse of the heavy stance, do something about it.

Zek
04-27-2002, 07:40 PM
The heavy stance is the WORST 1v1 stance except in no-force games, where it's decent. You can push them down real easy while they're swinging and hit them once or twice when they're on the ground, and you can throw the saber at them whenever they swing until they figure it out.

acdcfanbill
04-27-2002, 07:56 PM
ususlly i can do pretty well with heavy, even in 1v1, but in FFA it rules... hehe, but if people wanna have a throw war, im up for that too...

NewBJedi
04-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Learn to:

Kick a person.

Saber Throw.

Force Push.

Force Pull.

Drain (oooh).

Roll, duck, jump, strafe.

These will defeat heavy.

maestro sa
04-27-2002, 08:23 PM
I love when people use the Heavy Stance they are so freaking slow it is almost laughable.... So why they are busy taking 3 to 4 secs for every swing get in there inbetween there swinging with your medium stance and tear them a new one.

Heavy stance is for those who either just started playing the game or those people who have 3 HP left and hoping to get lucky.... or there are those people who just suck....

enderWiggin6
04-27-2002, 08:53 PM
what's with all the complaining about heavy stance? i'm not saying i'm l33t or anything, but i am pretty damn good, and nothing makes me laugh harder than working someone over with med stance. i use med about 90% and light 10%. screw heavy. it's so easy to simply jump over/roll away/side step out of the way, them smack them down while they stand there in backswing. same with dfa...just back up, then own them when they're done. i mean really ppl, you can't just sign onto a server the first time and expect to be good. you've got to learn how to play the game. it seems like everyone on these boards comes on and says "i just played my first mp game and grip/heavy/drain owns...how lame!"...it owns you because you just started. keep practicing.

ender.

Sokaran
04-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Enders tossin out knowledge!

SUPERLEN
04-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Nah, I think that the heavy stance is the "expert stance". Any newbie can come and start hacking away in medium or light, but it really takes some skill to duel well with the slower attacks of the heavy stance. It reminds me of the old "Yojimbo" type samurai flicks where every move was crucial because it only took one blow to kill an opponent! BTW, I'm Reptile online, come find me and I'll gladly demonstrate!:)

Sokaran
04-27-2002, 09:15 PM
Heavy Stance is only good if you know how to use it. Id say it is for duels only. Not for FFA games because any lamer can swing madly with heavy stance and kill someone.

Usurper
04-27-2002, 09:18 PM
"Heavy stance is for those who either just started playing the game or those people who have 3 HP left and hoping to get lucky.... or there are those people who just suck...."

Well let's see, I use both heavy and medium. I am very good with heavy, and I did not just start playing, not low on health, and certainly do not suck.

It seems to me that when ppl are talking about red stance, they are really talking about the death from above move. It is the unskilled players that over use DFA.

I use heavy swings,..horizontally and vertically. It is a real skill to land those hits consistantly.

That is all.

panacea
04-27-2002, 09:58 PM
The thing that ruins this game is that unskilled, newbie players can use DFA and get "legitimate" kills over.....and over.....and over. And don't say, "If you're good enough you can avoid DFA!" because the fact is, not everyone IS GOOD ENOUGH to avoid DFA.

The game is unbalanced. But Tribes was unbalanced, and managed to be fun. JK2 is unbalanced and, as a direct result, is not fun, and consequently, is no longer worth my time or energy.

That is all.

enderWiggin6
04-27-2002, 10:07 PM
it constantly amazes me how many people come on here to bitch about this game, and purport to hate it and be done with it, yet they continue to post on these forums.

and btw, i would hardly say that any one stance is the "expert" stance. several times now i have been on servers where someone has talked smack to me, and i've consequently whooped their ass 1v1. some used heavy, some used med, and once or twice light...none of them helped them. hehehe. i don't care what stance you use, there's always an opening.

also, dfa can be avoided 99% of the time in a very simple manner: walk backwards. just back away from them. its that simple. it really is.

ender.

Vestril
04-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Panacea, I'm sure that as thiungs filter through and the game base stabalizes, less people will use Heavy Saber DFA because it really isn't a useful thing to spam, it just gets utterly pretictable. Experienced players can use it fairly well, but your average newbie telegraphs his move so that you can set up to kill him while he's winding up....

OPP
04-27-2002, 10:27 PM
In duels heavy is a skill, as someone said before I've seen people tear apart with the medium stance.

BUT I do hate people who just do the heavy jump attack on FFA servers. I've seen a few people win on those maps, ONLY doing those moves, and NOTHING else. I mean this literally, all they'll do is that attack into a crowd ....

I can't complain because I'm the type of player that will do whatever is needed to win, BUT its just so damn hard to beat those players, without resorting to their tactics :D

Fo0
04-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Bah, i try to avoid the lightsaber whenever possible.... I mean who needs lightsaber when u can own someone with heavy repeater?? The weapons have excellent range... and u can pick off someone with a lightsaber easily... however, if they get in close, ur bantha fodder..... lol...

DeepEyes357
04-27-2002, 11:00 PM
I will agree that heavy stance is kinda overused cause I see it everyday, I also use it. But its a good stance, in the game obviously you want to win, who dosent?:confused: with heavy a few hits and thier dead. But not to say light and med are bad either cause I have been killed a few by people who use it but what all the stances come down to in my opinion is skill. Anybody could use light,med,heavy but how skilled you are in it makes all the diffrence. In skill I mean good in all aspects of the game espically in the force, the DFA kill can be easily countered...how you ask...well easy force push, Ive done it to others and others have done it to me. Now you sometimes wont counter it, thats a fact and you cant whine about it cause whining makes no diffrence. You just need get up and fight agian. Anyone can swing wild with all the stance but you must learn timing, aim, and most importantly patience. These all are key to be being good, well in my opinion it is. Now everybody I tell you this nobody is perfect, I usually do very good and get high scores but I have meet people who are better than me and I like that cause I always get better afterwards. Practice,practice,PRACTICE. You will get good in any of the stances and force powers, and so on. But this is strictly my opinion. ;)

Rogue74
04-28-2002, 08:19 PM
I have to laugh every time I hear someone whining about the strong stance. It is not easy to use against someone else who knows how to fight with the lightsaber. Granted any moron can switch it on and swing around wildly (which I see more medium stance people doing than strong stance...) and end up killing people. But to use it effectively takes skill.

Anyway, the strong stance effects are more "realistic" to what a lightsaber would do. In the movies you see Vader get hit once and his armor stops it, any other hits kill or go through what they hit. You don't get to whack someone with it 50 times to kill them.

Besides is it really better to be killed by someone with 10 or 20 blows than to be killed by 1 or 2? Nope.

Also this is the same as complaining because you fought someone with a rocket launcher while using a Stormtrooper rifle. They stronger weapon/more experienced person will win.

Retro
04-28-2002, 09:31 PM
I think one of the main things if it gets nerfed, will be for the reason it's the most used. When something is used more than anything else in the game, it tends to be nerfed so people will use other things. This of course, isn't always the case, but sometimes it is.

crazyplaya73
04-29-2002, 12:10 AM
:violin:

:laughing:

Hiteche5
04-29-2002, 01:07 AM
Well it isn't going to get nerfed. It is a valid stance...some of the people who don't like the stance have a valid arguement but I think the support for the aurguement is that it is too easy for people spamming heavy swings to get kills. Others disagree. But people are going to see the problem diffrent because of....LAG. Some of you don't see a prob putting down a heavy swinger because you might have a good connection and can see the move in real-time. Others though see this swing coming over there heads and go to dodge but BAM!! hit registered already. I have a decent connection but when my good servers are full and I have to move to higher ping servers it really makes a diffrence. I personally feel that if you want to swing your heavy saber go ahead...Nothing is wrong with it. And nothing is wrong with the damage.

power_ed
04-29-2002, 01:13 AM
i agree.. its a total legitimate move, but i also think its boring as hell using the same move over and over.. wheres the fun in that?

::/Ed

Edit: spelling error corrected

Vestril
04-29-2002, 01:16 AM
Legitimate (had to check it on www.dictionary.com to be sure though :))

And I agree, it gets boring as heck, even if you're beating them.

power_ed
04-29-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Vestril
Legitimate (had to check it on www.dictionary.com to be sure though :))

thx dude :-)

Fettish
04-29-2002, 01:24 AM
It's quite obvious that you need a lot of skill in order to use the heavy stance affectively. They wouldn't make the most damaging stance the easiest to use! It defies logic.....:rolleyes:

Toa Tahu
04-29-2002, 01:49 AM
Heh,Yoda2k2,I have the same problem with you,when I played JK!
Whenever someone comes to me with a saber,they usually kill me within 2 shots,and I complain wildly,like you.I just wonder why did those people(no offence,I'm just joking) make SBX?

keto
04-29-2002, 03:56 AM
push pull grip etc are lame, like many have said above its timing on these bugers. for me i have noticed that the medstance is the best for taking them down, they swing and then you go in for the med combo, making sure to stay with them for the last swing. heavy usually end up being stupid in dueling because most just side wipe a billion times hoping to get a hit, which takes forever, i have however seen some good duels with heavy where they just ran right at each other and werent too conservative about losing.

for SP hevay stance makes since, it takes more jedi power and therefore is more powerful, but since saber power to the max is always a must in MP i think it shodul be evene out a bit. like i said in the rune vs. jk2 thread stamina might be a cool idea that woudl primarily apply to heavy stance users.

spacelord
04-29-2002, 06:28 AM
Stop whining!!!!

I have only seen very few people that actually spam with DFA, I use heavy primarily in 1 vs 1 fights but switch frequently. I use DFA sometimes if I see an opening, but to say that it's a newbie thing is just stupid. The only newbie thing I see out there are the people that use light or medium stances and dance around like idiots swinging hoping that they will land a hit, I have no problem defeating them in heavy stance unless I have a high ping which causes more losses than any actual saber fight in my opinion.

As someone stated above if you have a high ping you can get killed alot since you don't see it coming but that goes for every stance I think. I do think that the real problem is lag, that's what makes this game hard to play.

If you know what you're doing there is the golden rule:
"For every action there is an equal and oposite reaction"
Apply the rule to your fighting

Skrig
04-29-2002, 08:39 AM
...every stance has an offensive advantage, and for all of these attacks there is an effective counter...it's as simple as that!
For all you guys bitching 'bout the heavy stance, just stop it and take some time fuguring out it's weaknesses.....just wait for the wswing sidestep and go real close with the light og med stance and he's yours for a couple of seconds. DFA(I guess you mean the "jumping-slashing"move with the heavy stance, sure it's a nasty attack, but seriously....just press the "D" key...sidestep....
....anticipation.....that's what counts when you want to make an effective counter aswell as when your playing with the heavy stance - if your opponent is aggresive use heavy and figure him out, when he comes charging at you....If he's using heavy just attack to make him swing and side step or run backwards and then go in for the kill...
....bitching won't help you, but anticipation, patience and practice will:)

I'm not saying that I'm a Jedi Master, but I'm sure as h*ll not bitching 'bout the heavy stance.....what the point?

may the force be with you

Usurper
04-29-2002, 11:25 AM

Usurper
04-29-2002, 11:27 AM
You seem to have a different deffinition of what skill is than I do.

To me, the amount of kills has NOTHING to do with skill.

Your'e bro got 14 kills by randomly swinging red stance all over the place. That is great! Does that make him a skilled player? Not likely.

When I say red stance takes skill, I dont mean swinging wildly into crounds, DFA into crowds, and/or lucky hits.

When I say red stance takes skill, I mean,....
When you are dueling someone, and you can land your hits where you want them to hit, that takes a degree of skill.

Don't get me wrong, I think every stance requires skill, that much is obvious. I am just defending the argument that is does not require any skill.

So, when I say skill, I mean being able to do what you want when you want, not spamming moves and collecting a high number of kills. Anyone can be a spammer.

Icebreaker
04-29-2002, 11:49 AM
You can counter heavy swings by doing a light special attack IN THE AIR.

brx_-r2_
04-29-2002, 12:22 PM
k, I disagree with you people who state that heavy stance doesn't require skill to successfully finish off other ppl in lightsaber duels. let's face it: a player swinging wildly and without any actual clue what he is doing while being in heavy stance will most likely be cut in half by his opponent. reason? well, it takes too much time to recover after a swing...imagine a newbie going into a fight, swinging in heavy and missing his target (because he didn't aim well / predict his opponent's movement) .. now, him being close and defenseless ANYONE should be able to kill him using med stance. it is not possible to hit an experienced player in heavy without being experienced oneself. now on the other hand take light or medium stance. the same newbie will get *much* better results by using these stances in combination with his slash-and-forget techniques, because the swing recovery is much better and you can chain attacks. *that* is what I call luck.

anyway, nobody knows me, this was my first post on these forums :)

ps: for all of you questioning what stance I use in mp: I use all the stances, depending on the situation. In duels I would use medium and heavy stance, mainly because I have gained some experience with them.

Retro
04-29-2002, 12:57 PM
I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's a question.

Strong stancers usually talk about how much more skilled strong is...but lets compare how often strong hits to light or medium. Medium often hits when it's swung, but strong well I rarely see it hit, and when it does. It's usually a lucky shot, so what that means, is one guy using light or medium could hit the strong guy 3 or 4 times and not kill him. The strong guy (having full armor before the battle, now has 20 hp or 80 hp depending on which stance hit) has to swing 20 times before he will hit. Then perhaps FINNALY hitting after 20 swings.

Of course 20 swings is usually an exagerateration. But I have seen it happen on more than one occasion.

Father Ruckus
04-29-2002, 01:10 PM
i have to laugh when i hear people claim that Heavy Stance requires skill.

I let my 6 year old bro have a crack at the game and put him in hvy, he ended with 14 in a best of 20, all he did was run around swinging hvy.

it needs to be balanced, how i dont know. Using Hvy as the only counter to Hvy is not balance, that just makes every other stances useless.

Edit: forgot to add this : While i dont claim that Hvy requires any skill, it is not as skill intensive as the other 2 stances. Hvy is based more on luck than skill.

posternutbag9d9
04-29-2002, 01:13 PM
LAFF... well, iof your brother got 14 out of 20 kills he was playing on a newbie server or vs someone like you... If you think it requires no skill, it is obviously because you suck too much to combat it... I saw a DFAer the other daywith a 44 kill score at the end of the match.. did he ever kill me? no...And I use heavy stance too.. just sidestep, start a sideswipe and move right over where they are stuck in the ground.. or... just push em.. simple simple simple.. yet if you are too incompetent to block em... it doesn't make THEIR attack less skillful.. it makes YOU less skillful. The only reason people using DFA over and over are getting kills, is because people dont know how to playthis game well.. they most likely don't even have push mapped on the keyboard...If you think it requires no skill.. then you should have a 50% chance duelling against a heavy stancer right? Won't happen dude.. keep dreaming..

Rogue74
04-29-2002, 01:35 PM
I have yet to have anyone using medium or light stance beat me using Strong stance, except possibly in a melee where someone hits me where I'm not looking. I just don't swing wildly, I aim and hit. A lot of people say you can dash in an hit someone, well you can swing AND move while you're swinging to land hits; I'm not gonna swing and stand around while someone gets inside my defensive arc to hit me!

And BTW, I can't figure out how to do DFA in MP :D except on accident, so I don't even need it to end up winning most of the time.

Hiteche5
04-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Well posternutbag. Maybe his brother can't beat you but you are missing Father Ruckus's point. His brother and many newbies for that matter can jump on an FFA server and get to the top quickly spamming a heavy swing. Yes, maybe you are the uber jedi and cannot be beaten but some of us are average and it is shocking to see how easy a newbie spammer can win against medium stance players.

Tekken
04-29-2002, 03:37 PM
I use Yellow and Red.

I enjoy playing against someone using Red, because it forces me to fight tactically. Just rushing in would get me sliced and diced and ready for serving.

Also, using Red has helped me when I'm using Yellow. With Red, you are more or less forced to 'follow through' with your swings. I've found myself doing that without thinking when using Yellow, and it's helped me a great deal! In other words, moving *with* your left/right slash. Experienced Red users will know what I'm talking about.

Those of you that are 'negative' in regards to Red, should try spectating a good (non-DFA) Red user. Watch how they use their saber, and when......

posternutbag9d9
04-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Hit, whos fault is it that other people aren't practicing? Here is the reason people use the heavy stance... If you use medium and they have 100 health, you will hit them, then they heal, hit them, then they heal, till either you die, or you get in 2 shots to them or headshot them... I am decent with both and have no problem versus either type because for 2 weeks my internet was down and I had to just play vs a friend. All the 1on1 playing helped me learn vs all the styles. The game hasn't been out more than a month... Let people practice.. whining here serves what purpose? They hope Raven will change around the game because THEY want it... that is ridiculous. If YOU think spamming the heavy style will get you kills, then do it! However, you must be complaining that these spammers are killing you, otherwise if you think the heavy style is easy or cheap, you could use it. If these spammers are ABLE to kill you, you need some practice... I often may not have the highest score on the server.. but I rarely die... DFA doesn't bother me and neither do spammers... now those guns DO bother me sometimes, but hey, thats the game...

Hiteche5
04-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Now you are getting me wrong. I'm not saying that it is wrong to spam it or that it should be nerfed but it is not the swing of skill that many people profess. You can spam it and get kills without skill. Hell I use it in the stiuations that will get me lotsa spam kills too!!!. I'm just pointing out it's little faults.

Love, Peace, and Hairgrease :)

Kypt
04-30-2002, 11:05 PM
I no longer bother w/ reading the whole topic. I've had awesome duels w/ heavy-stance duels. Not just DFA but heavy stance. I'm a medium-heavy stance guy. I switch depending on situation. If the guy infront of me can't counter pull heavy than I do it. Cheap? Maybe, it works? Yeah. Do I do it all the time? NO! Y? Good people counter it, its easier to beat them another way. Next time people complain about heavy blow, think to ur selves and ask, he's beating me...how do I counter it? Instead of whining. I've had several people saying "anyone can kill w/ heavy!" I ask them to play w/ it, they do, they get no kills cuz they swing madly. Annoying...

-WNxKypt

Rogue74
05-01-2002, 06:49 PM
We're calling it heavy spamming now? LOL

That's like telling the U.S. military "Hey, stop using that M1A2 Abrams tank because us Iraqis only have a T-80 and our crews ain't that smart...." Gimme a break. It IS a valid stance use it as much as you want.
If someone complained about it in my game I would make a special effort to continually kill them using only the lightsaber and the heavy stance!

Vestril
05-01-2002, 07:27 PM
That's like telling the U.S. military "Hey, stop using that M1A2 Abrams tank because us Iraqis only have a T-80 and our crews ain't that smart...." Gimme a break. It IS a valid stance use it as much as you want.
If someone complained about it in my game I would make a special effort to continually kill them using only the lightsaber and the heavy stance!

War is not a game, if something wins a war, you do it--this is because you are IN the war to win, not to have fun, or be fair. A game, on the other hand, is what is known as entertainment, and the objective of that is fun. These are two very different things, and different people have different objectives of fun. I think most of the people who complain about heavy stance are really complaining about the DFA spammers, and lets face it, those people suck--skilled players don't do the same move again and again if for no other reason but because its really predictable.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Heavy Stance, I have had interesting fights against people who use it, I just don't think you're making an apt analogy.

Ferrara Z23
05-01-2002, 09:09 PM
I say use Heavy only when ur not a threat to force powers. Like when can't fall off a ledge or something. I work well with heavy. Just keep goin in and out. :fett:

Redwyng
05-01-2002, 09:48 PM
I don't think heavy is overly powerful or unbalanced, but I think the blue stance is next to useless besides the ability to stop fall damage. I was thinking that it would be interesting if they implemented a 'rock-paper-scissors' style model, where blue stance could be used to counter red (while yellow > blue, red > yellow). Basically, the blue saber could have a bigger chance of parrying a red attack and allow you to get some hits in. This would add an interesting element in duels, with people constantly juggling their stance to gain the upper hand.

Don't know it it would work out, just a thought.

Sokaran
05-01-2002, 10:01 PM
I dont know how to do DFA either, I dont really need it. I just play the game. I dont care about scores or stances. I just wanna relax after a hard day...

Fatninja
05-01-2002, 10:02 PM
call me a newb if u'd like, but what is a DFA attack?! lol

And just for the record, its not hard at all to defeat someone who is using a heavy stance when ur using light or medium. Just run in and swing until you see their attack start, and when it does roll back out or the range.

Another thing that works good is when someone is swinging at u from a ways away, throw ur saber at him! When his hands are in the air he can't use his saber to block it and it gets a full damage hit.

And another thing... am I the only one here who alternates between all fighting styles in the middle of a fight to throw off my opponent?

Vestril
05-01-2002, 10:28 PM
call me a newb if u'd like, but what is a DFA attack?! lol

And just for the record, its not hard at all to defeat someone who is using a heavy stance when ur using light or medium. Just run in and swing until you see their attack start, and when it does roll back out or the range

Another thing that works good is when someone is swinging at u from a ways away, throw ur saber at him! When his hands are in the air he can't use his saber to block it and it gets a full damage hit.

And another thing... am I the only one here who alternates between all fighting styles in the middle of a fight to throw off my opponent?

Well...actually its harder than you think to defeat a skilled heavy stance player, because they know about the fact that they are vulnerable to attack, and compensate by only being in your range when they're attacking...

Also alternating between fighting styles is one of the stronger ways to play--different situations call for different stances, but if you're just alternating at random just to throw people off, doesn't that mess up your attack style?

Fatninja
05-01-2002, 10:48 PM
In short, no, because my attack style is to catch them off guard. More skilled players can catch on to the way a person attacks and counter that quite easily, but by changing stances and going to a different method of attack while in the middle of a fight you can sometimes catch them off guard and get that extra blow you need to get the kill.

I still dont know what DFA is... :)

Vestril
05-01-2002, 11:21 PM
I still dont know what DFA is...

My bad, I meant to mention it lol. Death From Above, it is the Heavy Stance special move, the player leaps with an overhand chop and it kills you in one hit. Its a favorite of the newbies, who often enjoy going through fights doing nothing but it.

Skilled player have been known to use it with...well skill :p

Hope that helps :)

Zante
05-02-2002, 10:10 AM
DFA - Death from Above

Unblockable heavy stance attack that does the following:

-100 Health
-100 Shields

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fact: anyone who complains about this move being only for newbies does not how to do the move themselves and continuosly loses to everyone they play thus increasing their frustration.

How to perform death from above:

there are actually many ways to execute this attack but here is a full-proof tutorial for you

Method 1:

Hold shift and start walking.

For the whole attack you should never take your fingers off of the shift and forward buttons.

Make sure you're in heavy stance/red

While walking execute a primary attack: You will perform an overhead slash.

Pratice that a few times as it's the base of the move.

While holding forward, execute the overhead slash and as the saber is coming down (not up), (while still holding forward and shift) jump.
You will launch forward with your knees behind you and your saber crashing down in front of you. You'll know if it works because the saber will stick in the ground for about 4 seconds during which you can't move.

Method 2:

Same as method 1 except it's performed while running.

Method 3:

The player is walking backwards then suddenly launches into the attack unexpectedly.

Method 4:

The player is crawling forward then lunges into the attack unexpectedly.

Method 5: Bunny Hop Method

Tap forward + jump + attack whilst in heavy stance. If you do it properly you will NOT do a force jump. Upon landing, press forward, jump and attack again and you will suddenly launch into it. This is a good way of catching someone completely off guard (along with the walking method in method 1).

Other known heavy stance moves:

Sweep
Jedi Cannon????

Sweep:

Fact: anyone who complains about this move really sucks at Jedi Outcast, much like the people who bitch about heavy stance.

Description:

Standard reversal attack in all stance variations, damage inflicted and manner of swing depends on stance. Heavy damage.

Executing the sweep:

Method 1:

The opponent must be behind you or it won't work, end of story.

Press and hold back and primary attack in heavy stance.

You will spin round on your axis in a 360 degree motion inflicting heavy slash damage on everyone unlucky enough to receive it.

Method 2:

Your opponent performs the DFA technnique from a ledge, you duck, it overshoots you then you execute the attack as he lands behind you.

Mthod 3:

Force run to opponent, watch out for a somersault kick counter, spin round and execute. - horrible method

Jedi Cannon:

Description: Throws the opponent at an unlimited velocity in any direction. Opponent will fly until he hits a wall.

Notes: It is not known whether or not you need heavy stance for this attack as it requires mainly having full ranking in both grip and pull.

Debated method of execution:

Grip opponent, force push to finish attack.
?????????????????????????????????????

Overview: The moves are worth doing if you've learnt how, if someone complains about them being cheap (meaning they can't do the move themselves), please ignore them and proceed to beat them.

-Zante :guard:

Asimon
05-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Just found this on JediKnightII.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NewBJedi, one of our fine forum-goers recently sent an email to Kenn Hoekstra from Raven with an idea about changing the stances a little. He recieved a message backing saying the following.

"Consider it forwarded. Just a note: the heavy stance has been tweaked heavily in the pending patch to balance it better."

Patch coming soon to cut down on the number of people incessantly using the 1 hit-kill move? Sounds good. We'll keep you informed. Thanks to NewBJedi for this one.

---
**Update- Ascari, another forum member sent an email off to Mike Gummelt, another one of our Raven friends about a bug he'd found. He also asked when we could expect the patch to arrive. Mr Gummelt's response...

General idea: very very soon
Could be a day. Could be a week. Keep your eyes peeled.