PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Survey

Trinitron
06-12-2000, 04:09 AM
Everyone please visit this poll, and be HONEST when voting.

Internet Connection Survey:
http://polls.vantagenet.com/2/0/1611184820/polls/1611185512/index.htm

Kurgan
06-12-2000, 04:15 AM
Are people being honest? Look at those results:

Dial-Up 56K (44)
20%

Dial-Up 33.6 (12)
5%

Dial-Up 28.8 (3)
1%

Cable/ADSL/ISDN (140)
64%

T1/T3/OC (15)
6%

Satelite/Wireless (2)
0%

Maybe all this shows is people with good connections like to brag about it.. ?

More people claim to have "Cable/ADSL/ISDN" on here than the other categories COMBINED.

Actually it's DOUBLE the other categories combined... amazing.

Kurgan

Trinitron
06-12-2000, 04:19 AM
I dunno, so far this has been advertised in the Half Life community. This poll was started to see if the new network code really helps Half Life HPB's, one peson made the comment that there were more LPB's than HPB's so I decided to make a poll and find out.

So far it looks that way, and I haven't touched the figures. I hope everyone is being honest as I have asked.

Trinitron
06-12-2000, 04:32 AM
BUMP

TTT = To The Top

Kurgan
06-13-2000, 12:22 AM
Of course, of the thousands that play Half Life (and the thousands more who play online games in general) only a tiny percentage have responded to the poll, so who knows...

Kurgan

Trinitron
06-13-2000, 04:02 AM
Yup http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif

Anyhow thanks for voting

theahnfahn
06-16-2000, 04:40 AM
You would be very surprised to know how many people have the high-speed connections now. I've got cable. I could never, ever, ever go back to dial-up. It is ancient history. Sure, it costs me $40 a month. But a dial-up connection and a separate phone line run just as much. If you can get cable in your area, get cable! It saves so much time you wouldn't believe. And there is no wait at all to get online. You are always online. It is also great for gaming, too. Anyway, my point is that I run across more cable users than anything else. The poll should be correct.

------------------
And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn

Vagabond
06-16-2000, 02:24 PM
My DSL kicks major bootay. I like it because it's very fast - the wife likes it because people can now call us on the phone again. It's a win-win situation for only $39.99 per month.

Of course, getting it installed was a virtual disaster on par with the Death Star trench runs. But once I got the torpedo in the hole, the evil empire of lag hasn't been able to touch me.

------------------
VagabondNomad on the Zone...

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...

LDB_modeski
06-19-2000, 12:05 PM
ADSL is all very well and good for you americans, but its only just coming out on a trial basis here, and the costs are absolutely extortionate. 150-200 installation then somewhere in the region of 60 (US$80-ish) per month!

na, think I'm gonna stick with my good old 56k for now ;p

------------------
visit the Lucky Despot Boyz Jedi Knight Clan site www.ldb.org.uk (http://www.ldb.org.uk)

theahnfahn
06-19-2000, 10:57 PM
Anyone know why cable is worse than DSL for online games? I'm getting some horrible pings in Quake 3 and I've been told cable isn't the best thing to have. I must admit ping is nearly everything in FPS, and it kind of sucks for me. And if anyone wants to play me at Quake 3, just give me a time.

------------------
And there he is. The reigning champion of the Boonta Classic, and the crowd favorite-TheAhnFahn

Vagabond
06-20-2000, 05:12 PM
The reasons I have heard as to why cable is worse than DSL for gaming is because cable shares the line with everyone in your neighborhood, hence your ping times will be inconsistent. DSL, on the other hand, is dedicated to each person. While the actual quoted max speeds are less for DSL, since they are dedicated you actually end up with more bandwidth and more consistency in your ping times.

------------------

theahnfahn
06-24-2000, 03:21 AM
I'm not talking about inconsistency. Just a flat out choppy connection. It seems that on certain occasions my ping is playable, but I still get the data in such large yet spaced packets I'm not getting a good connection. What gets me is that my friend lives very near my house (just a 15 min. drive), has the exact same cable service, and says he always gets 30 or below ping in Quake 3. It is a good day for me if I'm below 100! Does that sound right? Almost everyone I play on heat has a better ping than I do, and when I ask them what they have they say "DSL". Maybe I'm just in a bad location or something, but I'm losing to newbies because of my crappy connection and I sure do hate to lose http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif

And if anyone here wants to play me Quake3, please let me know! The players on heat are so unfriendly. I'd like to get a few games in with a familiar face. Just email me or message me, I don't care.

------------------

Vagabond
06-24-2000, 05:02 AM
You got Unreal Tournament?

------------------

Kurgan
06-24-2000, 04:19 PM
Hey man, UT actually works for me!.. maybe we should hook up a few games sometime. ; )

Kurgan

Vagabond
06-24-2000, 04:50 PM
Sure man, that would be great. You ever get MotS to work with your DSL yet?

------------------