View Full Version : Video Card question

08-22-2001, 04:18 PM
My computer is a PIII 550 Mhz with 96 MB of Ram, soon to be upgraded to 192 or 256. I have a Rage II video card and I am looking to purchase a better video card, I'm looking to spend between 100 and 200 smackaroonies, anyone have any suggestions as to which video card would be the best bang for the buck?

08-22-2001, 07:06 PM
Getting a flavor of GeForce2 is probably a good idea, I really like my GTS.

Of course if you want to spend more, you could get a GeForce3, but in the end, in a year or two whatever you get will be obsolete (and much cheaper if you waited) so it's up to you...

Boba Fat
08-23-2001, 08:46 AM
Umm mine is a Siluro or something I think its a geforce 2 but I don't know! :(
Anyway when companies dish out games you always need better things to play them. If you try to get the ultimate gaming machine it will just get obselete. :confused: So just by what you want but I bought my card recrently and it was about $200 australian dollars. It should be about $100 american dollars. I also have a Diamond Viper V770 and that was $400 I think but it was a while ago so it should be $100 or $200 roughly. :)

Boba Fat

08-23-2001, 06:07 PM
I am passionate on this topic so here are my opinions ;)

Light-weight cards
Do not get anything slower than a Kyro II.. meaning do not get a Geforce 2 MX. The Kyro II kicks some serious butt for being such a "lightweight" however it is outclassed by the bigger boys.

Mid-class cards
The Geforce 2 or Radeon 64 is a good choice. Both have pros and cons you need to research each card (look past PR BS) and decide which one has most what you want in a card.

Next month there will only be one worthy card for the heavy weight class and that is the Radeon7500. It's SRP is $200 so it should be about $150-$170 at the stores. It is a Directx 7 card which is the biggest mark against it. However it smokes the Geforce 2 Pro and Geforce 2 Ultra and is just as fastas the Geforce 3 in DX7 games :eek: but of course the GF3 beats it in DX8 games. Possible the Geforce 3 MX may be a good choice but we have to wait and see what the price is(could be anywhere between $250-300).

Champion Cards
No doubt the champion cards will be the Geforce 3, Geforce 3 Ultra, and the Radeon 8500. These will cost an arm and a leg though. All of them will be over $350 to buy :( .

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Darth_Lando ]