PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Help: Tiger MP Dual Proc's

tubbydrmmr
05-18-2002, 06:26 PM
My system board is the Tyan Tiger MP Dual Athlon board. I have grown tired of the noise and "so-so" cooling that standard cooling HS/Fans provide for my processors. I want to get a couple good quality copper (or other material) heatsinks that I can put my own 80MM fans on. I know that Alpha makes really good Athlon heatsinks...but I have been told that their Athlon model HS won't fit on my motherboard. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone run into similar issues?

Wicket the Ewok
05-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Check Overclockers (http://www.overclockers.co.uk) for ideas. I suggest e-mailling them, they've seemed pretty clued up when I've asked them about stuff before.

tubbydrmmr
05-20-2002, 06:26 PM
Cool...thanks man. I emailed them and they were quick to respond and did suggest a product. Seems like a awesome cooler but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for...but still something to consider.

I am still interested in just getting nice heatsinks to put my own 80mm (or 60mm if I have to) fans on. Anyone else have any ideas?

Wacky_Baccy
05-20-2002, 06:40 PM
How about the Swiftech MCX-462 (http://www.swiftnets.com/mcx462.htm)?

" ...MCX462: Fully compatible with all socket A motherboards compliant with AMD specs, in single or dual CPU configuration. "

I use it with a quiet 80mm YS-Tech fan (~45 CFM) and it does it's job very well IMHO :) (it's in my room, so a Delta isn't really an option :( :D)

tubbydrmmr
05-20-2002, 10:42 PM
Awesome wacky...thanks. That looks like it would be perfect...as long as my board has those mounting holes...and I don't remember if it does. Time to open up the ol' case! If I do have those holes, then all I have to do is come up with the dough :p
If I don't...then DAMN!!! Thanks again for your help though.

Hey, also can you give me a link for the specs on that fan you say you use on the heatsink?

Wacky_Baccy
05-21-2002, 05:51 AM
Hey, also can you give me a link for the specs on that fan you say you use on the heatsink?
Sure - the model number is "FD1281257B-2A", and the specs page is here (http://www.ystech.com.tw/FanHtml/FD8125.htm)... You might want something more powerful, though - I was happy to trade cooling power for less noise, so it only keeps my AthlonXP 1900+ at 50*C (under load), which is alright in my eyes, but obviously is too high for some...

HTH :)

tubbydrmmr
05-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Great. Thanks again Wacky. My case is in my room too, so I would rather have a bit more quiet than ultimate cooling power. Besides...I can always plus in another fan if I am going to a Lan party or something where my system will be under load for a long time.

Anyway...I am open to anymore suggestions if other people have them. I would like to have as many options with this cooling thing as possible.

tubbydrmmr
05-27-2002, 03:21 PM
What does anyone think about the Thermaltake Volcano 7 too? I don't mind a loud fan for good cooling when I am gaming or doing something that loads the cpu...but when my system is idling...I like to it to be fairly quiet. I have heard some really good things about the Tt Volc.7...what do you guys think?

Also...what does anyone think about Volcano 7 vs. Volcano7+?

I'm still open to anymore suggestions for my first question too:)