PDA

View Full Version : How to keep someone banned?

disdainmsh
05-21-2002, 04:01 AM
Oy,

I know how to ban IP's while playing, and when I do a g_banips I get the IP's showing up in the list.

However whenever the server gets restarted, or the gametype changes, the game seems to lose the banned IP's. I was under the impression that doing an "addip xxx" would add that IP to the 'banned' list in my server.cfg file? Or do I also have to add it there manually?

So, basically question is, am I doing something wrong?

MatrixCPA
05-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Yes, if you want the bans to stick after a server restart, you need to put them in your config. Some admins like to make a separate file called banned.cfg and execute that from the server.cfg.

NITEMARE
05-21-2002, 03:09 PM
i still don't understand what ip banning can do besides with the static ones. its utterly useless! why did lucas arts decide not to include a cd key or something. half-life had that and even a won id! but what can jk2 admins do? lurking around and do the security gorilla??
ok jk2 and especialy the duel scene has a very low percentage of lamerz due to its leetnes, hehe.

Aerys
05-21-2002, 03:12 PM
My /addips get put into jk2mpserver.cfg and are always active.

My problem is I have too many and if I don't clear some out I can crash the server by making the g_banips (or whatever) variable too long (> 256).

I would like a way to permanently add IPs without crashing my server if it gets too long. In fact an easier way to manage banned IPs would be greatly appreciated...

MatrixCPA
05-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Once all the issues are worked out with the new server versions, my bot can ban by name and ip and doesn't have a limit. Of course, if you want to ban an ip range, the existing function is easier to use.

disdainmsh
05-21-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. One more question...

If I add the IP's manually into a bannded.cfg file, I assume I would still use the

seta g_banIPs "" // List of IP's to be banned
seta g_filterBan "1" // Enable Ban by Ip

functions, they'd just be in a banned.cfg file which I call from my server.cfg file.

My question, how do I seperate IP's in the quotes?

e.g.

g_banIPs "192.x.x.x 192.x.x.x" or do I need to use commas or semicolon's?

Thanks again!

MatrixCPA
05-21-2002, 06:19 PM
The ip's should be separated with a space. Additionally, there should be a space at the very end like so:

seta g_banIPs "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx "

Remember that to ban an ip range you use zeros for the "range" part. For example:

seta g_banIPs "xxx.xxx.xxx.0 "

..will ban xxx.xxx.xxx.1 through xxx.xxx.xxx.255. Just be careful with range bans since, if set wide enough, you'll exclude a decent number of other players. Especially if it's a more popular isp.

disdainmsh
05-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Thank ye.