View Full Version : Popups

05-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Man this forum has some anoying popups.

05-24-2002, 09:59 AM

I don't get any.

Master Rooster
05-24-2002, 10:25 AM
I get them sometimes, not at other times. I hate popups. The most amusing thing to do is to go to the sites, find their e-mails and flame them.

Not that I'd do anything so rude of course...

05-24-2002, 10:27 AM
The most annoying ones are those that appear when you click on the link, so you kill them, then they come back when the page actually loads.

Master Rooster
05-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Oh, don't forget the ones that disguise bits of them as close buttons, and you click on them, and they open! Aaargh!

I want to know who invented these things so I can put a pop-up rake in front of their front door.

05-24-2002, 10:56 AM
Hehe, don't tell me you FALL for that one?

Just look at a the corner for the "x" button - if it's not there then there'll be a java link somewhere that closes the window. I can't believe you fell for that trick... :>

05-24-2002, 11:02 AM
There is also a little thing called a pop up killer.

Go to google.com and search for it.

05-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Or you can use Linux and not have to worry about anything but the annoying "get macromedia flash" garbage.

05-31-2002, 07:26 AM
Unfortunatly we don't have linux at school :( at home i use linux but even there i get popups.

05-31-2002, 09:36 AM
I hate pop ups that lead to more pop ups, and then more, never ending supply of pop ups

05-31-2002, 10:08 AM
well popup killers aren't always working either coz they look at the size of the window. So we'll have to live with it :(

05-31-2002, 12:55 PM
I haven't had a popup here ofr ages, then, as I leave this thread, of ALL others, what do I get?

How ironic.

05-31-2002, 12:59 PM
alot of the pop-ups come from ad software that the end user has unknowingly installed or had installed without their knowledge. Many shareware programs now a days include ad programs such as "doubleclick" and others. If you're really interested in learning more about such things and how to get rid of them search on www.google.com for a program called ad-aware (with the dash). While I use it myself I understand that it might not be for everyone so be sure you read the ample documentation before you even bother downloading it.

06-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Thank god I'm no longer and Ewok...

Ad-Ware, yes, it's probably the best anti-spyware program I've ever seen. Heard about it some time ago, and it's suprising what it finds.

Usually spyware installs itself, or through "accidental" confirmations, and it can eat up a great deal of bandwidth, and cause other programs to become unstable (they aren't well coded, and tend to leak memory like sieves. Which is bad). It's a small download (about 800k), it's freeware, and there's another small prog which updates the reference file on demand.

The url is www.lavasoft.nu btw.

06-02-2002, 03:03 AM
Ive already made another post on this subject, check out http://www.panicware.com/ for a free popup blocker. It works great.