PDA

View Full Version : Best Saber Duels


Darth Seph
05-31-2002, 09:27 AM
Whats the best saber duel

I gotta say Luke Vader in ROTJ. Just a classic duel to end it all , father Vs son.

The_Wounded
05-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I think yoda rocks in ep 1 :yoda:

Enslaver22
05-31-2002, 01:21 PM
:vadar: Vader vs Luke by far.

JediMasterBater
05-31-2002, 01:24 PM
This is a tough one, I like all saber duels...

:D

Darth Kaan
05-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Obi and Qui Gon vs Maul hands down. The actor that played Maul is a Master of Kendo in real life and it showed.

Yoda was cool, but looked like a chihuahua on a bad acid trip. LOL!

Robbiesan
05-31-2002, 03:51 PM
gotta agree with Darth Kaan.. the sabre duel with the 2 v 1 was totally awesome!! Mind you, the Darth vs Luke and Yoda vs Dooku were great as well...

Biggs311
05-31-2002, 03:52 PM
My favorite isn't on the list, and I'm suprised. The duel in Empire gets my vote. Luke goes in thinking he's all big and tough because he trained with Yoda for a week and gets his ass handed to him in a major way. Not only does Vader physically defeats, but mentally puts him in a state of disarray.

FratBoyTX
05-31-2002, 04:00 PM
I really liked the one between Anakin and Dooku in the dark during AOTC. The visual effects there were great.
:saberb: :saberr:

Vestril
05-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Darth Kaan
Obi and Qui Gon vs Maul hands down. The actor that played Maul is a Master of Kendo in real life and it showed.

Yoda was cool, but looked like a chihuahua on a bad acid trip. LOL!

Really? Earlier there were some Kendo master who argued that Darth Maul would have gotten wrecked in real life, and that the fight was poorly done. I could somewhat see what they meant, but I thought it could be taken into account because they were Jedi.

Was the fight actually well done? Are you a proficient swordsman?

Hateplow
05-31-2002, 05:42 PM
Well, if anyone is to blame for making him look bad it would be the director (lucas?). Also, my fav fight is in empire also. (Plus it has all the best quotes from vader!!! "All too easy." "Impressive, most impressive. "Don't make me destory you." and who could forget "Luke, I am the your father!)

striderx2048
05-31-2002, 07:02 PM
from a kendo point, yes maul was too flashy and would get wasted, but that was GL fault on that, he wanted hong kong theater style for that part.
from an enternment point of view, obi-wan+qui-gon vs. maul was the best LS fight

Pedantic
05-31-2002, 08:37 PM
I liked watching the Episode II duel--Yoda rocks! :D Finally, the true masters at work.

Darth Sazah
06-01-2002, 02:13 PM
mr. kenobi vs mr. maul after the death of qui gon... it rocked!! for a few seconds...

DannyJAllTheWay
06-01-2002, 02:54 PM
That is too tough to choose. I will pick the duel between Obi and Darth Vader in ANH. That's the best duel simply do to the distinguishing factor that evil triumphs and the whole story behind it. Also, the whole strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine thing. It's just the best duel. I mean, what distinguishes the duel between Yoda in AOTC and Maul in Episode one? They are just pleasant to look at, nothing to distinguish them really. Sure seeing Yoda fight and seeing the dual saber in action are unique, but there has to be more to it than that. This is just my opinion. Please don't flame me for having one. :D

Amused_to_Death
06-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Vestril


Really? Earlier there were some Kendo master who argued that Darth Maul would have gotten wrecked in real life, and that the fight was poorly done. I could somewhat see what they meant, but I thought it could be taken into account because they were Jedi.

Was the fight actually well done? Are you a proficient swordsman?

It's obvious the fight wasn't realistic , but the fact Park is a martial artist showed in the way he moved and swang the sword around, that is i think what Darth Kan meant.

And before you start bitching about the movie not being realistic consider that Kendo isn't real either.

Playing with real swords is a totally different thing, and it's defenatly not entartaining to whatch.

Vestril
06-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Amused_to_Death


It's obvious the fight wasn't realistic , but the fact Park is a martial artist showed in the way he moved and swang the sword around, that is i think what Darth Kan meant.

And before you start bitching about the movie not being realistic consider that Kendo isn't real either.

Playing with real swords is a totally different thing, and it's defenatly not entartaining to whatch.

I wasn't bitching...I was asking if any people who were proficient with swords had a counter opinion to the ones I'd heard expressed before. I enjoyed those scenes...

Darth Simpson
06-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Maul would have been wasted in 5 seconds if Obi and Qui didn't spin around every time they took a whack at him. Slightly annoying for me to watch, but to do it in any other way would be to ruin the fight.

Luke in Bespin
06-01-2002, 10:16 PM
sure the fighting in episode 1 was very flashy, but this isn't real life, this is star wars. i always thought kendo was with one sword, not a staff.. someone wanna enlighten me? Yoda's fight was cool to watch but it was sort of meaningless. he fights dooku, but dooku runs away.. the first time i watched it it was so fast i couln't see what kind of moves yoda was pulling.. the entertainment factor was extreme, but there was not as much meaning as ROTJ or ESB. just an opinion, no flaming plz :D

Darth Kaan
06-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Vestril,

Yes I am a blackbelt in Kendo (1st degree). He (Maul) is a very accomplished Kendo Master in real life.

Associating Mauls technique in the movie with a sword is way off base though.

You see, he weilded the duel saber like a staff not a sword, for most of the fight. The side, hook and back kicks he used were very well performed and showed his balance, footwork and timing was excellent

But yeah, the fight sequence was choreographed (why Obi won and Qui Gon did not look totally foolish) to be flashy and exciting, which it was.

COJ
06-01-2002, 11:02 PM
the "3-way" in Episode 1 is amazing, #1 of all time, and i coubt it will ever be beaten

Vestril
06-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Darth Kaan
Vestril,

Yes I am a blackbelt in Kendo (1st degree). He (Maul) is a very accomplished Kendo Master in real life.

Associating Mauls technique in the movie with a sword is way off base though.

You see, he weilded the duel saber like a staff not a sword, for most of the fight. The side, hook and back kicks he used were very well performed and showed his balance, footwork and timing was excellent

But yeah, the fight sequence was choreographed (why Obi won and Qui Gon did not look totally foolish) to be flashy and exciting, which it was.

Ok, thanks, that seems to be the general consensus. Though someone did suggest that a sword was superior to a staff in terms of fighting, and I always had the impression that it was the other way around, that a person with a staff could generally defeat a person with a sword with little trouble. Mind you I'm not talking about star wars anymore, just real combat...

Once again I'd like to point out that I did enjoy that fight, I was just curious as to the realism of it.

Darth Kaan
06-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Vestril,

You are correct. Any skilled swordsman is very leary of a skilled staff weilder. In the right hands, staffs are very dangerous. The main reason being that they can be used both offensively and defensively at the same time.

Mr.T Kicks Ass
06-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Yoda's duel was about the coolest lightsaber battle I have ever seen

greedo626
06-02-2002, 04:12 PM
my brother and I made dueling lightsabers out of PVC pipe and I use a double bladed and he uses a single blade. needless to say I kick his butt all the time. so now he has a friend come ove and they both try to take me on at the same time. I win again. so they start complaining so I go get my two single bladed lightsabers. they thought I wouldn't be able to handle two sabers with any control but they were of course wrong. had they been real sabers my brother and his friend would have no legs and arms right now :D . but to the original point of this thread... I voted for Yoda vs. Dooku because Yoda is just so cool. I was also surprised not to see Luke and Vader's ESB duel which is one of my favorites.:ewok: :fett: :jawa

G0SP0DAR
06-02-2002, 04:23 PM
[snip]
I was also surprised not to see Luke and Vader's ESB duel which is one of my favorites.:ewok: :fett: :jawa Ditto. I used to re-enact that all the time in the Mysteries of the Sith secret level.

:lsduel:

Katoa_Kliq
06-02-2002, 04:25 PM
I also think that luke vs. Vader in ESB was the best saber duel.

Murdoch
06-02-2002, 07:11 PM
TPM 2 vs 1 duel. At first you sit there watching them hack at each other and you think 'this is way cool!'. And then Qui-gon bites the dust, ob33 goes at Maul and the fight explodes! Obi is a virtual dervish there..

CrazyDude
06-03-2002, 09:04 AM
Definitely yoda vs dooko, as i loved the use of force powers

furthermore, i laughed till my stomach ached when yoda went for the kungfu style pose..:D

Ahhh cutie little baby-sized lightsabers....

defalc
06-04-2002, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by greedo626
my brother and I made dueling lightsabers out of PVC pipe and I use a double bladed and he uses a single blade. needless to say I kick his butt all the time. so now he has a friend come ove and they both try to take me on at the same time. I win again. so they start complaining so I go get my two single bladed lightsabers. they thought I wouldn't be able to handle two sabers with any control but they were of course wrong. had they been real sabers my brother and his friend would have no legs and arms right now :D . but to the original point of this thread... I voted for Yoda vs. Dooku because Yoda is just so cool. I was also surprised not to see Luke and Vader's ESB duel which is one of my favorites.:ewok: :fett: :jawa
Lol, schooled them you have. :D

greedo626
06-04-2002, 12:38 PM
oh yeah. schooled them in the fine art of getting their butt's kicked all over my yard (really, I do kick when I duel).:D :ewok: :fett: :jawa :saberg: :lsduel: :slsaber: :dsaber:

Robbiesan
06-04-2002, 04:48 PM
lol, nice!

Obi-Doo
06-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Yoda vs Dooku.

It looks really funny when little Yoda is figthin a full-grown man. This is also the figth between the two best Jedis/Siths in star wars.

CreeP_303
06-09-2002, 04:20 PM
the yoda/dooku fight was too short and fast.....

i wasn't impressed with it as much as others said they were...


but the skywalker vs. dooku was good.

but for entertainment value maul, kenobi, jinn fight was the best....ray park is awesome!