PDA

View Full Version : Some Findings (in regards to the DLL sources recently released)

normal
06-01-2002, 01:19 AM
Three commands (right before "thedestroyer" too!), were set to only be compiled in when it was a debug release, I took the time to enable these and try them out on a multiplayer server, being a server-side only modification. I had two others join me in a game, to test these commands.

First command:

headexplodey

Rather simple, kills you and your head flies up, and occasionally will bounce up and down. What I mean by "your head flies up", is that your head is dismembered, and given a great upper velocity. :)

Second command:

loveandpeace

This one is probably the most hilarious command i've seen in a game yet, want to kiss your opponent? this is the command to use, all you do is walk up and have your saber holstered (if that's the weapon your using). Then do "loveandpeace", it will set your animations to the kissing ones in a loop.

I took a look at the code for the g2animent command, and found the correct parameters:

Third command:

g2animent

The command showing the greatest amount of use to me. This will spawn a pseudo-entity, that, on certain maps, will have an AI. These will act like single-player NPCs. We had some fun spawning dozens of them at the same time. =)

The spawned NPCs also seem to be force resistant (you can see this in a couple screenshots, the yellow spheres)

How to use g2animent:

Basic NPC Spawning:
g2animent 0
^ spawns Stormtrooper
g2animent 1
^ spawns Rodian
g2animent 2
^ spawns Jan

Custom NPC Spawning:
After I re-read the custom NPC spawning code, I found out what I was doing wrong, here's how to do it.

g2animent 3 <alignment> <weapon> <model filename & path> <sound path>

Example:
corrected the example, typos.
g2animent 3 2 2 "models/players/luke/model.glm" "sound/chars/luke/misc"
^ Would spawn an NPC allied to you, using Luke's Model & Sounds, with a Light Saber.

alignment:
0 - Unknown alignment, probably makes it attack everyone
1 - Evil alignment, attacks you & players
2 - Good alignment, attacks evil NPCs.

weapon (updated):
0 - None
1 - Stun Baton
2 - Light Saber
3 - Bryar Pistol
4 - Blaster
5 - Disruptor
6 - Bowcaster
7 - Repeater
8 - DEMP2
9 - Fletchette
10 - Rocket Launcher
11 - Thermal Grenades
12 - Trip Mines
13 - Det Packs
14 - Emplaced Gun (?? -- Probably not safe to use)
^ from reading another post, this seems to give you the ability to "box" with your hands.
15 - Turret (?? -- Probably not safe to use)

model:
path & filename of a model using the humanoid animations,
eg: models/players/luke/model.glm

DO NOT USE MODELS THAT YOU KNOW DO NOT USE THE HUMANOID ANIMATIONS! It'll result in a crash, (I tried to spawn a protocol droid with a lightsaber.. baaad results!)

sound path:
Path to the sound set that will be used,
eg: sound/chars/luke/misc

Screenshots can be found here:

http://force.tproc.org/debug/

I have put together a little .ZIP of the Modification I have created, simply extract the ZIP file to JK2INSTALLDIR\GameData

It will extract three files, one file being a BAT file which will launch JK2 with the modification and start with the map ffa_bespin.

Download Here: http://force.tproc.org/debug/debug.zip

digl
06-01-2002, 01:54 AM
hehe
cool find
put that package together!:D

psypete
06-01-2002, 02:00 AM
yes, package please! and a little more detail on how/when it is used?

starbucks
06-01-2002, 02:03 AM
hi-larious...clone armies!!!rodian wars...if the admin spawned them at key points in ffa or duel it might make a really cool co-op situation. force 2 duelers to buddy up to stay alive. Great find!:mob: :duel:

Artic Blade
06-01-2002, 02:08 AM
yes, force the fools to go co-op. but i think you might need ALOT of rodians to pull it off. this also opens up the possiblity of a more rpg like server. would need a stretch, but might work

maybe...

normal
06-01-2002, 02:15 AM
*BUMP* Edited my original post to include a link to the download.

normal
06-01-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by psypete
yes, package please! and a little more detail on how/when it is used?

Well, considering that "_DEBUG" has to be defined to enable the commands, they were just used during development of Jedi Knight II: Outcast, so they are not used anywere.

Master0909
06-01-2002, 02:30 AM
Call me a newbie, but can you give an example of the line we type for NPC characters in MP games...

normal
06-01-2002, 02:33 AM
g2animent 0
^ for stormtrooper

g2animent 1
^ for rodian

g2animent 2
^ for jan

I'm currently figuring out how custom g2animents work..

ASk
06-01-2002, 02:34 AM
in your place, i wouldn't define the _DEBUG var, but alternately use #ifndef instead of #ifdef for these 3 commands only. Who knows what else the _DEBUG does :P
It could enable some features that would slow down the game....so better use the technique that does the precise changes you need

normal
06-01-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by ASk
in your place, i wouldn't define the _DEBUG var, but alternately use #ifndef instead of #ifdef for these 3 commands only. Who knows what else the _DEBUG does :P
It could enable some features that would slow down the game....so better use the technique that does the precise changes you need
In my modification, all I did was remove the #ifdef _DEBUG block from that section of code. So that's the only area affected.

normal
06-01-2002, 02:47 AM
*BUMP* Updated first post again with full information regarding spawning custom npcs.

Tr4c3r
06-01-2002, 03:43 AM
How come i only get an inactive storm trooper? i type /g2animent 3 for whoever but it comes up as a damn storm trooper.. devmap all is on, and stuff liek that but it wont work? help.

normal
06-01-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Tr4c3r
How come i only get an inactive storm trooper? i type /g2animent 3 for whoever but it comes up as a damn storm trooper.. devmap all is on, and stuff liek that but it wont work? help.
Strange.

a) Inactive Stormtrooper? That probably means you're using a map that dosn't have supported AI (so far i've only tested g2animent in pit & ffa_bespin, pit dosn't have AI, ffa_bespin does).

b) Stormtrooper? sounds like you're not specifying the correct parameters.

Tr4c3r
06-01-2002, 03:54 AM
i copied and pasted what u had written, into the console...

tried it in ffa_bespin and ctf_bespin and duel_temple

Midnightghoul
06-01-2002, 04:09 AM
ok, i did exactly what it said and it is still not working! Can you give me better instructions on what to do?

normal
06-01-2002, 04:14 AM
Guys, I made a couple errors in the custom NPC example, please re-read it, and try again, if it still dosn't work. I havn't the faintest clue. :(

ZeroXcape
06-01-2002, 12:19 PM
If someone takes a good picture of loveandpeace, i'll throw it on the screen of the month/week/day/etc heh

Try and get a side view ;)

Leagle
06-01-2002, 12:31 PM

joey_kool
06-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Nice!

Here are my findings and what i've done...

http://www.soundflounder.com/demos/ffa_imperial.jpg

What I did was tested out a few maps with g2animates 2 (Jan) and g2animate 3 0 (Stormies) and it was an every man for himself situation, as you can see from this shot. What was really interesting was that Jan (and all of her twins who survived) followed some sort of path around the map (and this is true of most of the MP maps). Because there were so many of her, a lot got stuck in doors etc.

Take a look at this demo...
http://www.soundflounder.com/demos/jan.dm_15

You will have to put this into the demos directory in your game directory. Actually, you might have to install the mod that normal made (link in original post by him) and then put it into his gamedata/debug/demos folder for it to work. I'm not sure as I haven't tested it.

normal
06-01-2002, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't think it would require the modification, as it is a server-side type modification, but who knows :)

Khayman
06-01-2002, 03:39 PM
no matter what command I use (ie g2animent <anything>) it always spawns a stormtrooper. Any help would be great

normal
06-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Khayman
no matter what command I use (ie g2animent <anything>) it always spawns a stormtrooper. Any help would be great
Wha...? That's weird.. I don't know why it would do that.. hmm..

Mithiril
06-01-2002, 06:19 PM
can't you spawn things like reborn?
All I can get is the stormy, jan and rodian

dimi30
06-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Using g2animent when I put anything over 3 it will give a stormtrooper with a bayar and jan's voice ;)
On custom npcs when I specify as their weapon the lightsaber they will just hold it strangely, won't turn it on, will go near the enemy and do nothing. Even the example on the original post with Luke won't work.

normal
06-01-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Mithiril
can't you spawn things like reborn?
All I can get is the stormy, jan and rodian
g2animent 3 1 2 "models/players/reborn/model.glm" "sound/chars/reborn/misc"

nugez
06-01-2002, 07:56 PM
i've been having problems with the pack... i open the bat file and it goes into the starting up screen... but nothing else happens... i wait for like 5 minutes and then it jess closes down... could anyone explain why this is happening and how can i get it to work? thanks a lot...

JS2248
06-01-2002, 08:02 PM
I can't get it to work; where is it supposed to be unzipped to?

Kiell_Randor
06-01-2002, 08:10 PM
How can I get this mod to work in dedicated server mode?

normal
06-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Kiell_Randor
How can I get this mod to work in dedicated server mode?

Very easy! just add an argument to the dedicated server..

ie:

jk2ded.exe +set fs_game debug +exec server.cfg

normal
06-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by JS2248
I can't get it to work; where is it supposed to be unzipped to?

[JK2 Installation Directory]\GameData

IE: I have installed JK2 to Z:\Games\JK2, so I would extract it to Z:\Games\JK2\GameData

Kiell_Randor
06-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Hrm. I added the line +set fs_game_debug to the dedicated exe, but when I type:
/g2animent 0
in the dedicated server console, it simple prints:
"server: g2animent 0"

Any suggestions?

normal
06-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Hrm. I added the line +set fs_game_debug to the dedicated exe, but when I type:
/g2animent 0
in the dedicated server console, it simple prints:
"server: g2animent 0"

Any suggestions?

Err.. the game client executes the command, not the server.
(btw .. / ? shouldn't that be \ ? :))

Gooey
06-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Ok, same thing is happening here.

g2animent 0-3 all spawn a hostile stormtrooper, no matter what parameters I use or what model/sound path I specify. Crap.

Does this work with JK2 1.03??? That is the version I am using.

Going back into game to try it again.

nugez
06-01-2002, 09:10 PM
i wouldn't mind having stormtroopers.. all i care about is getting this thing to work.. scroll up to my first post to see what the problem is... please help me...

normal
06-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by nugez
i wouldn't mind having stormtroopers.. all i care about is getting this thing to work.. scroll up to my first post to see what the problem is... please help me...
Try loading the modification from the Setup -> Mods menu.

nugez
06-01-2002, 10:37 PM
i did what you said.. but at the starting up screen it says that the program created an error and has to shut down...

normal
06-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by nugez
i did what you said.. but at the starting up screen it says that the program created an error and has to shut down...
I don't know.. :(

Gooey
06-01-2002, 11:49 PM
I managed to get the different models to work finally. Works fine now.

Still having problems with weapons. I cannot get any of the npc's to use different weapons, they all use the default red gun. I have managed to get them to hold the lightsaber, but they do not turn it on, they just walk around with it and then die.

/boggle

Kranckor
06-02-2002, 04:04 AM
Could you help I want to make a duel server (not dedicated) the normal way and then use those new codes could you help me out?

dimi30
06-02-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Gooey
I managed to get the different models to work finally. Works fine now.

Still having problems with weapons. I cannot get any of the npc's to use different weapons, they all use the default red gun. I have managed to get them to hold the lightsaber, but they do not turn it on, they just walk around with it and then die.

/boggle

I got exactly the same problem with saber.They hold it strangely(their hands are like holding a gun).

Kiell_Randor
06-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Here is the golden question: anyone got any bright ideas about how to make Force powers work against them?

Adm_FettM3
06-02-2002, 04:26 PM
I can't get loveandpeace to work.I was wondering if someone could help me out.This is what I did:I started a game with cheats enabled.Then I walk up to a person,open the console,I type /loveandpeace,THen NOTHING HAPPENS!I've tried many different things and cant get it to work!Please help me:fett:

normal
06-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Adm_FettM3
I can't get loveandpeace to work.I was wondering if someone could help me out.This is what I did:I started a game with cheats enabled.Then I walk up to a person,open the console,I type /loveandpeace,THen NOTHING HAPPENS!I've tried many different things and cant get it to work!Please help me.
Was it another player?

normal
06-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Here is the golden question: anyone got any bright ideas about how to make Force powers work against them?
The flag is probably set to them when they are spawned.. i'll take a look at it later. :)

Kranckor
06-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Will you please answer my question?

normal
06-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Kranckor
Could you help I want to make a duel server (not dedicated) the normal way and then use those new codes could you help me out?
All you should have to do is load the modification (either from the command line, or from the Setup -> Mods menu), and they should work, in-game.

example command line:
jk2mp.exe +set fs_game debug

Originally posted by Kranckor
Will you please answer my question?
Sorry about missing your post! :jawa

Mikedaman
06-02-2002, 07:25 PM
hey ppl, great find normal, im having lots of fun with this stuff. any ideas of how to get jedi's working? if they fight like single players itll better than those -2 bob bots-.:lsduel:

Kiell_Randor
06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Interesting results so far.

I have added the +set line to the server .exe. Now, we can get a hostile stormtrooper in there by entering '/g2animent' followedby ANY arguments on the client side.

However, g2animent 1, 2, 3, 0, or ANYTHING all get the same thing - a hostile stormtrooper.

Just wondering if anyone has had luck getting this working fully on a dedicated server!

Kranckor
06-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Just wondering what servers are you guys going to enable this on?

kyle valdez
06-02-2002, 10:22 PM
call me stupid but i type g2animent 0 2 4 in my console in multi and it shows up as text... wtf

Sherman Chu
06-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Uh when I use the headexplosion cheat, all I see is that my guy dies and nothin else happens. WHat's the problem? Do I need to do it near a person like kiss cheat?:fett:

normal
06-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Sherman Chu
Uh when I use the headexplosion cheat, all I see is that my guy dies and nothin else happens. WHat's the problem? Do I need to do it near a person like kiss cheat?:fett:

Do "cg_dismember 500" in the console. ;)

:jawa

Mikedaman
06-03-2002, 03:04 PM
cant remember who asked but...
if your commands r coming up as text its probably because you havnt put a backward slash infront of it.

eg.
\g2animent 0

if it says no cheats allowed on server. or error do not reconise command remember that you have to enable cheats
single player type "helpusobi 1"
multiplayer type "devmap <mapname>"
eg
devmap ffa_bespin

hope that helps. hey any one know how to get jedis working?:duel:

Aerys
06-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Ok, now is there any way to keep this from happening?

I'm running the dual-saber-only mod and it requires maps to be loaded as devmap and hence cheats (and apparently debug) are enabled.

Well, grief players are spawning armies of NPC and lagging up my server.

Any suggestions?

Kranckor
06-05-2002, 01:22 AM
Fine I wasn't even going to play on your servers! :mad:

normal
06-05-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Aerys

I'm running the dual-saber-only mod and it requires maps to be loaded as devmap and hence cheats (and apparently debug) are enabled.

Any suggestions?
Don't use my mod? :D

:jawa

teleguy
06-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Aerys

Any suggestions?
http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/2130.shtml

teleguy
06-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Normal, I think I read somewhere that your mod also fixes backstab and several other things . Is that right?

Thrawn42689
06-30-2002, 05:22 AM
All it does is crash and set everything to really bright and 800x600...

keto
07-01-2002, 08:52 AM
great work, this does totally open things up for an rpg type setting. now all we need is exp as a part of the npc config and have it be stored client side, enough exp more force point allotments. of course thats very basic rpg setting but what you have done opens a huge amount of possiblities. thank you! :)

about the thing that mpas have to have ai what exactly do you mean by that. is there a way to have a new map created have ai so npcs coudl be spawned in new maps? also wondering if they coudl spawn from player spawn points, or maybe even certain triggers of new maps? with the right script i think it coudl be possible. ah just thinking...

good job, and good luck,
-keto

normal
07-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by teleguy
Normal, I think I read somewhere that your mod also fixes backstab and several other things . Is that right?
Whatever changes in the SDK release source are in my modification, of course.

Dominion_007
07-08-2002, 02:00 PM
This mod is awesome... I got everything working...

All we need is
1. someone to get dismemberment on these npc's
2. get these npc's lightsabers
3. and get force to work on them.

Mathurin
12-04-2002, 05:25 PM
do we really have to run your mod to get the g2animent function to work ? beacause I'd like to have NPC spawns in another mod (jediplus). are there console commands to do what you did in your mod ? and the function doesn't seem to exist with your mod not installed...

Andy867
12-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Well, Dest's JediMod v1.2c already has all these settings set. Instead of being known as debugging commands, they are just simply EMOTES. Kissing, sitting, spinning the saber like in SP Taunt. All this stuff has already been done. Even the Army Stormtroopers was done by DEST many times on his server.