PDA

View Full Version : Coding Question

WD_Rage
06-02-2002, 04:00 PM
I spent a few months learning the Q3 codebase when JK2 was announced, but never really built anything. Now that I am editing JK2, I have a question:

What should be editing for the server and what should be editing for the client?

I know the server pretty much gets every edit, but what about the client?

Tchouky
06-02-2002, 05:04 PM
i don t really understand the question(( but correct me if i m wrong ) you wan t to know what you can edit on the client side and on the server side ?

well on the client side you can modify all the drawings user interface and stuff....

i m actually working on the sabers wich are mostly (for the drawing ....)client side .....

normal
06-02-2002, 05:12 PM
cgame = client
ui = client
game = server

WD_Rage
06-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks, but I know those things already (sorry, my question wasn't phrased to well).

First let me say I understand a server-side only mod. Basically, it's just an edited version of the code an the needed info is accquired by the user during connection.

What I don't understand is the use of having both a client-side and server-side mod. I remember having to download the client-side mod for RA for Q3. Why was there a different download for server and client?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

My current understanding is this. Any editing of pre-existing code is generally a server-side mod.

Any addition (like a new gun or new force power) must have separate client/server downloads. Right? Based upon the answer, I may have another question.

normal
06-02-2002, 05:52 PM
It depends, weapons can be added and modified and be server-side still if it uses data the player has, if it uses new models, ect. Those models will need to be downloaded (usually autodownloaded when the user connects to a mod server). Otherwise, it'll be server side, I wrote many weapon modifications to Quake 1 awhiles back, they used custom models, ect. In order for the player to join the server, he had to download the models first, nothing else. :)

Normally it would not have to be seperate downloads, as the game dll is used for servers. But can still be present in the package.

Subject452
06-02-2002, 05:54 PM
I spent a few months learning the Q3 codebase when JK2 was announced

Dude, u are saying u spend a FEW MONTHS learning the code and u dont even understand the differences between clientside and serverside code, then u are either a liar or insanely stupid.

Anyway, because i'm such a goodhearted person ;-) i'll explain it for you.

cgame = everything clientside, the clientside = is almost everything graphics related u can think off. It handles your HUD, the shaders, sounds, model parsing and ingame text crap.

game = everything serverside, the server tells the clients that for example it's sabers only with no force powers. All the weaponscode/damagecode etc is server side in Q3, in JK2 most of that code is also made for both game modules (cgame and game).

This should get you started u silly padawan :p

jipe
06-02-2002, 06:03 PM
How about we lay off the insults?

DarthFreak
06-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Yeah, cut out those insults
he only asked a simple question, so where is his fault? It may be easy but nobody knows everything, a person can understand hard things easily but can't understand something quite easy in some situation.

Subject452
06-02-2002, 06:19 PM
He posted himself, he spend a few MONTHS learning q3code wich is sim. to jk2code, one of the first things u learn in q3coding is the diff between client and serverside code and if he truely learned it then the above question is a bit stupid and if he doesn't know q3coding then he should just say so, don't u think so. Then u don't get any weird comments.

and please stay on TOPIC, thank you

normal
06-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Subject452
He posted himself, he spend a few MONTHS learning q3code wich is sim. to jk2code, one of the first things u learn in q3coding is the diff between client and serverside code and if he truely learned it then the above question is a bit stupid and if he doesn't know q3coding then he should just say so, don't u think so. Then u don't get any weird comments.

and please stay on TOPIC, thank you
You're the one who got them off-topic, with your flame.

Anyway, not all people have the same learning process / learning curve. So you can't automatically assume that one person learned that first off. He may have just tinkered with the code, didn't go into any serious modifications.

WD_Rage
06-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Subject452

Dude, u are saying u spend a FEW MONTHS learning the code and u dont even understand the differences between clientside and serverside code, then u are either a liar or insanely stupid.

Anyway, because i'm such a goodhearted person ;-) i'll explain it for you.

cgame = everything clientside, the clientside = is almost everything graphics related u can think off. It handles your HUD, the shaders, sounds, model parsing and ingame text crap.

game = everything serverside, the server tells the clients that for example it's sabers only with no force powers. All the weaponscode/damagecode etc is server side in Q3, in JK2 most of that code is also made for both game modules (cgame and game).

This should get you started u silly padawan :p

Could it be that the tutorials I was using as a study aid said nothing about the server/client relationship? Forgive my ignorance on a subject. I came for answers, not for an opinion.

normal, ty for the response. It pretty much answered my question.