PDA

View Full Version : haha! look at that!

james_chelliah
06-07-2002, 10:44 AM
sorry for the subject of this topic, but plz i need help. How do u get the beta? They send u the CD? EXPLAIN PLZZZ!! Has anyone out of US got it?

Wraith 8
06-07-2002, 10:59 AM
?? well i havent heard anything about Who got it and who dont... i for one subscribed in the second stage... so that my new comp could arive and all..

but sorry mate.. havent heard anything yet. and i do hop they ship it to us Euro guys aswell :D

james_chelliah
06-07-2002, 12:45 PM
yea man bcuz i live in Asia, and like u kno when u sign up for online contests, it says like limited to so and so countries, so like, this one doesnt, and i hope they ship 2 asia.

setsuko
06-07-2002, 03:01 PM
It's very likely to be downloaded over the net. Sure, most games are sent over with a CD when you enter a beta, but since there are a couple of hundred times as many participants in a MMORPG beta (since you have to test server issues, which needs many testers daily), it is quite uneconomic for Verant to burn and ship the CDs.

But yeah, it's a bitch if you are on modem. I can direct you to my friends who downloaded the 600 mb AO beta on dialup, only to find out that the file had become corrupted during the download.

Took him a week of downloading to finally get a working version! :D

EDIT: Oh, and the DAoC beta was downloaded over the net too. But I think you could order it from them, if you paid a small fee (covering the prize of the CD and shipping)

derekdrygon
06-07-2002, 03:29 PM
My guess is they will send out CD's in the early phases and make it downloadable in later stress tests. Due to the sheer number of people required to stress test a game, and the cost of postage/stamped CD's/packaging etc. I think they will only send out beta CD's to the early phase beta testers.

Back when I beta tested EQ for verant, they did both. They sent out CD's for phase 2.0 and 3.0 however for phase 3.5 you had to download the client. I didnt have a cable modem back then... my friends and family thought I was dead cause the phone was busy for 3 days straight. 600 meg download over a phone modem, boy that wasnt fun... betatesting the game aftwords was though!

Hitmann_D

Koffin
06-07-2002, 04:40 PM
There is away to convince the DEV's to be on the beta team, but this is a PG forum so I cant tell you how...