PDA

View Full Version : RTS world of the future???


darthfergie
09-01-2001, 01:38 PM
What is the game that will dominate the RTS gaming world in the future???

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 01:49 PM
i still think AoM and WC3 will be something. however, i chose swgb b/c i'm a star wars fan first...:cool:

Kvan
09-01-2001, 01:49 PM
Hey! Where is StarCraft 2? I vote for SC2! ;)

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Kvan
Hey! Where is StarCraft 2? I vote for SC2! ;)

Sorry Kvan I'm only doing anounced games here:p

Kvan
09-01-2001, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie


Sorry Kvan I'm only doing anounced games here:p Fine! ;)
I'll vote BG! War3 would have been cool but by the time it comes out, graphically it's going to look real bad :(

Link Antilles
09-01-2001, 01:58 PM
BG will RULE!!!


(but for NOW RA2 rules-I think.)


:)

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Link Antilles
BG will RULE!!!


(but for NOW RA2 rules-I think.)


:)

FUTURE!!!!!!!!:o

Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 02:09 PM
I think that westwood still rules the rts world. And, whenever they announce their next installment in the C&C series it will be the next gen i think. Most likely in 3d, and they will make it work well coz they now have experience in the realm of 3d. Every company has to fail before they get it perfect, and westwood has done that. *cough*battlefordune*cough* So, "tiberian dusk" or whatever they are gonna call it will be a really great game and most likely in 3d. Or, they could make an "Red Alert 3" and that would probably be in cool but a ways off. They are most likely already working, or at least thinking about the next "tiberian" series game.

Gamma732
09-01-2001, 02:15 PM
I voted GB. AoM and WC3 are the really big names there, but neither of them look really good to me. And I doubt WC3 will be all that revolutionary when it comes out. Yuri's Revenge is the only other title I'm really looking forward to, but I don't that will really dominate the market. GB has SW fans, AOK fans, and general RTS fans behind it, so it has a chance.

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
I think that westwood still rules the rts world. And, whenever they announce their next installment in the C&C series it will be the next gen i think. Most likely in 3d, and they will make it work well coz they now have experience in the realm of 3d. Every company has to fail before they get it perfect, and westwood has done that. *cough*battlefordune*cough* So, "tiberian dusk" or whatever they are gonna call it will be a really great game and most likely in 3d. Or, they could make an "Red Alert 3" and that would probably be in cool but a ways off. They are most likely already working, or at least thinking about the next "tiberian" series game.

i'm not all that big a fan of the westwood series. i have some of the c&c games but they didn't bring out anything in me. i've also heard from a good number of people that they didn't think ra2 wasn't so appealing to them...

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon


i'm not all that big a fan of the westwood series. i have some of the c&c games but they didn't bring out anything in me. i've also heard from a good number of people that they didn't think ra2 wasn't so appealing to them...

I don't know who those people are because personally it is one of the best games I have ever played. Also to add a bit of spice to the game you can download new maps made with a map editor Westwood made. Also there are a bunch of mods for the game (the best one is the DeeZire mod)

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 02:39 PM
i've heard mixed reviews for ra2. i've thought about getting it, but if you can come up with something convincing, i may...:cool:

i've heard that there were units that were quite too powerful that throws off the balance of the game.....

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:45 PM
Units that were too powerful????:confused:
I didn't see them. Each unit of the Game has a big counter. Even the Kirov Airship...superpowerful Zeplin. It goes so slow Aegis Cruisers kill 'em easy and missle launchers kill 'em too. There are strategies that just work(like a million GIs attacking) but the AI has very noticeable difficulties to challenge those strategies.(I'd love to see anyone go up against 2 or 3 Hard Enemies on Skirmish and win)

Actually a million GIs are countered by a few Desolators:D

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Kvan
Hey! Where is StarCraft 2? I vote for SC2! ;)

i haven't heard anything about sc2, but if they did make it, it'd be out in 2-3 years. however, that was one heck of an rts game and probably my 2nd favorite rts of all time. i'd check it out kvan...

looks like you're a blizzard fan as much as i am:cool:

Gamma732
09-01-2001, 02:47 PM
RA2 was a good game. It wasen't great, but it was good. Yeah, the units were really powerful. I don't think the game was too unbalanced, it was just really fast paced.

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 02:49 PM
why was it good and not great? i thought starcraft was great, what about RA2?

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon
why was it good and not great? i thought starcraft was great, what about RA2?

Picky Picky Picky:rolleyes:

As you said though...StarCraft was great:p

Thrawn
09-01-2001, 02:50 PM
I love SC too Jay. I loved SC and am definately looking forward to the next one. :D

1 place: Galactic Battlegrounds
2 place: StarCraft 2
3 place: Yuri's Revenge

That's what i think anyway. :D

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn
1 place: Galactic Battlegrounds
2 place: StarCraft 2
3 place: Yuri's Revenge

That's what i think anyway. :D

STARCRAFT 2 ISN'T ANOUNCED PEOPLE!!!!
IT MAY NEVER BE MADE!!!! :mad:

Sorry to be the berror of bad news, but recently in PCgamer Blizzard said that there are NO plans for StarCaft 2 to EVER be made!!!!:mad:

...sorry to burst your bubble:)

Gamma732
09-01-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn
I love SC too Jay. I loved SC and am definately looking forward to the next one. :D

1 place: Galactic Battlegrounds
2 place: StarCraft 2
3 place: Yuri's Revenge

That's what i think anyway. :D

Same three I'm looking forward to.....the unnounced project better not be that alleged WC MMORPG or I'm gonna be severly dissappointed. MMORPG's are a joke

Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie


Picky Picky Picky:rolleyes:

As you said though...StarCraft was great:p

honestly fergie, i haven't bought ra2 yet. that's why i wanted to ask him about it...

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon


honestly fergie, i haven't bought ra2 yet. that's why i wanted to ask him about it...

You have to admit though. That was VERY picky on the choice of wording there

Kvan
09-01-2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie


STARCRAFT 2 ISN'T ANOUNCED PEOPLE!!!!
IT MAY NEVER BE MADE!!!! :mad:

Sorry to be the berror of bad news, but recently in PCgamer Blizzard said that there are NO plans for StarCaft 2 to EVER be made!!!!:mad:

...sorry to burst your bubble:)
Sorry but your wrong Fergie :) SC2 WILL be made. It grossed a lot of money and is/was the best RTS of it's time! It will have a sequel

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Sorry but your wrong Fergie :) SC2 WILL be made. It grossed a lot of money and is/was the best RTS of it's time! It will have a sequel

IT WAS YEARS AGO AND THEY STILL DON'T HAVE A SQUEL!!!!:mad:
SO I DOUBT IT!!!
now if they anounce it I woun't be dissapointed:)

Kvan
09-01-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie


IT WAS YEARS AGO AND THEY STILL DON'T HAVE A SQUEL!!!!:mad:
SO I DOUBT IT!!!
now if they anounce it I woun't be dissapointed:)
Haven't you realized that Blizzard is slow? They take forever to do anything. So SC2 will come out, it's just a matter of time :)

Darth_Rommel
09-01-2001, 03:12 PM
I voted GB, 'cos I like it best ;)

darthfergie
09-01-2001, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Haven't you realized that Blizzard is slow? They take forever to do anything. So SC2 will come out, it's just a matter of time :)

How much time 24 years??? Please let me in on this secret.:rolleyes:

StarCraft has needed a sequel for a long time. If one was made right now it would be a huge hit. But nooooo they just want to sit back and relax:mad:
They could make a TON of money making it:mad:

Gamma732
09-01-2001, 03:48 PM
Its Blizzard. Their slow, and they produce quality games. They only focus on 1, maybe 2 games at a time. Kvan's right, they will make a sequel. If they didn't that'd be a horrible decision, financially. And since profits are usually the bottem line in a business, they'll make a SC2. And it won't be 24 years. I'll probably be playing SC2 by the time I'm a Junior in college.(I'm 17 now) ;)

Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon
i've heard mixed reviews for ra2. i've thought about getting it, but if you can come up with something convincing, i may...:cool:

i've heard that there were units that were quite too powerful that throws off the balance of the game.....

Ok, here's the run down that should end up with you getting it....probably.

The best thing about RA2 is the campaign, it has a great story with alot of missions on both sides and takes a long time to beat and is very challenging on hard. But, the multiplayer is very good also. You can play against a lot of people, and they have a great skirmish with a random map generator or tons of different premade ones. The game is very fast paced, especially on hard, but you can set it to be slower if you want to, but you most likely won't. You can play on the internet through a server, or through direct connection (tcp/ip). You have the option of turning on or off superweapons, to make for 2 totally different game modes with much different strategies. Catch your breath for a second......

ok, no unit is too powerfull on its own, everything can be easily destroyed with the right units, especially on hard. The best task forces are made using multiple types of units to support each other. There are also a wide array of devense structures to help you accomplish this, including anti-air, tank, and infantry turrets. There are air units for the allies, which are powerfull, but there are flak connons, flak tanks, and flak troopers that can easily stop them in no tome. However, harriers are deadly if you leave your base open. the navy isn't too predominant, but the allies aircraft carriers can devestate an ocean-front base. However, they are easily destroyed by soviet subs, and their planes can be shot down by flak boats. Other naval units include mind controled giant squids, and also echo firing dolphins to deal with them.

Ok, on to the superweapons. The soviets have the nuke, which is devestating to infantry and tanks, but building can usually barely hold up. It is the perfect thing to use right before an invasion. They also have the iron curtain, which makes units temporarily invincible. I'm not sure how long it is, but i think it is close to 30 second or so. Use this on appocolipse tanks and you can say goodbye to whatever they are attacking. Ok, now for the allies. They have a weather storm, whcih is more powerfull, but also more sporatic that the nuke. You can't count on it to take out units, but place it over a building and watch it explode. They also have the chronospere, which can teleport tanks inside a 4x4 or so area anywhere on the map. You can teleport your tanks inside an enemy base, or teleport enemy harvestors into the water. It works on all tanks, but it kills infantry. You can use the iron and chronosphere like every 6 or 8 minutes, and the nuke or weather storm every 12.

Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 08:23 PM
not finished yet. On to the interface....

The interface is much easier than the AOK one. There is a bar on the side that has 4 different tabs. One for buildings, defense structures, infantry, and tanks/air/navy. It is very effective, as you don't have to be at your base to buid units. You can queue up to 30 units of each, but you can only build one of each type of unit at a time (ie, you can builf 30 GIs and 30 tanyas at the same time). There are also repair and sell buttons on the interface, and the minimap of course. There is an option for fog of war if you want, but the shroud usually doesn't regenerate. And you have to a radar building to get the minimap.

Now, the allies in campaign, and both in MP have a unit called the spy. It can target any unit and it will look like it. So, you can sneak one into an enemy base, but guard dogs can see and easily killl them, as they are unarmed. If you get one into the weapons factory or barrack, all your new tanks and/or infantry will start out as verterans when built, which really helps. Get one into a power plant, and it will temporarily shut down power. This takes defenses offline, as well as radar. Get one into a refinery, and you steal the opponents money in that refinery. The allies also have "tanya" who can devestate enemy troops with her colt 45.s before they even get close. the has low hp points though, and does squat to tanks. She can building with her C4, but she ha to be right next to them. The soviets have a yuri, which can mind control 1 unit at a time. When that unit dies, it can immediately get another one. Also, it controls them instantly, unlike monks in AOK.

Ok, now for the resources. It is much easier than in AOK, you have am ore refinery, and harvesters. the allies harester carries half as much ore, but teleports back to the refinery when it has collected the ore. It has to drive to the field to get back though, no teleporting. the soviet harvester has a machine gun on top, toi harass enemy troop that get to close. Harvester have high HP, and are self regenerating, but for the most part they are harmless. It is always wise to have multiple harvesters, to support your army. the allies also have a special structure that gives them 1.5 as much ore with each load, whcih is very usefull.

Now for the sound. The sound is great. Like most rts's, each unit has multiple phrases that it says when you give it a command. They are very well done, which different voices and phrases that fit perfectly. Ok, the music. If there was only one thing that set this game apart, it is the music. It is simply incredible. All the music fits perfectly with game style, and it really good. Most games barely have any background music at all, but RA2s, has some very good tracks that fit in with the war theme.

The game also features real life cutscenes that were filmed. Every mission has one, before you start. They tell the story and give you a briefing. They really set the mood for the missions, and let you know what you have to do, so it is very clear. Also, the game has one incredible opening cutscene that comes up when you first open the game. Do not skip it, it is great, and really sets up the story. Plus, it has really great music.

Ok, i can't think of anything else to say, except that if you get it you will not be disapointed. IMO opinion, it is the greatest rts to date, and that includes AOK. It beats all of them by far. If you want to know anything else, just ask, or go to www.westwood.com You can get a unit list there if you want.

wow, thats long.......

Kuma
09-02-2001, 04:56 AM
Total war : Crusaders will make a surprise big splash next year....

darthfergie
09-02-2001, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Kuma
Total war : Crusaders will make a surprise big splash next year....

Never heard of it...tell us more...

Darth_Rommel
09-02-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Ok, here's the run down that should end up with you getting it....probably.


Well, I'm converted... :D

Lord JayVizIon
09-04-2001, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Ok, i can't think of anything else to say, except that if you get it you will not be disapointed. IMO opinion, it is the greatest rts to date, and that includes AOK. It beats all of them by far. If you want to know anything else, just ask, or go to www.westwood.com You can get a unit list there if you want.

wow, thats long.......

wow, thanks tie for the novel. if you say this is the best rts around, then i gotta see this for myself. as of now, i have Aok and starcraft as no. 1 and 2, respectively. homeworld, which has awesome graphics, is up there as well...

Lord JayVizIon
09-04-2001, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon


wow, thanks tie for the novel. if you say this is the best rts around, then i gotta see this for myself. from the looks of it, i could possibly get this game for as high as 30 bucks and as low as 22.

as of now, i have Aok and starcraft as no. 1 and 2, respectively. homeworld, which has awesome graphics, is up there as well...